THE BROWNS BOARD

The What We are Doing Right Post

BobPOUND!

Everyone is down on Baker and down on the Offensive line. For good reason. Either because of injuries or they just aren't as good as we thought, the offense is struggling in those two positions.  Never in my wildest imagination 3 or 4 years ago, would I thought a 3-1 start to the season would be met with such disappointment from so many people.

Minnesota game was hard to watch at times on the offensive side of the ball. Our defense dominated for the second week in row. WE WON.. In the end that is the only metric that counts in the NFL.. WE WON.

The Bears game, little easier to watch, Defense again was dominant.. WE WON..  Titans game was the opposite. Defense got picked apart and Offense did reasonably well, and of course Patrick picked our Defense apart, and offense did extremely well.

So what are we doing right?  It is a LOT!!

Running the ball..Chubb and Hunt are beasts.. 

Offensive blocking for the run.. Obviously see above. They are doing enough to break those two open.

PENALTIES!!  Remember how this phrase.. "No Flags No Flags.. God damnit!!"... That was our team just 2 years ago. Flagged every single freaking time something good happened.

Special teams.. Absolutely killing it.. Other than the dropped punt that likely cost us the game(along with the fumble and the missed Njoku pass), they have been flawless.

Defense Line.. Outstanding play.

Route running by OBJ..  HE IS GETTING OPEN!  Good god if Baker could just settle down and make those throws.. OBJ could be set to have a Pro-bowl season..

Stepping Up.. With the rash of injuries. Backups and Rookies are filling the gaps and the next man up philosophy is showing us it works.

Anything else you guys are seeing?   I am stoked at our start.. Our team always starts slow, and our standing almost always shows it.. We always lost these off games.. When the team was off, it was always ugly, and we ALWAYS LOST.. We are 3-1..  Strangely, the best game we've played was the only loss we had..  We've been flat, and we've been uninspired in important aspects of the game.. But we are winning.... 

• Thanks 2

When you can churn out 4 to 5 yards consistently on the ground and give your QB enough time to challenge the defense downfield the offensive line is doing its job.

And Are we having the need to even discuss this if Baker hits Harrison Bryant OR Demetrius Felton against the Bears and last week OBJ on one of three deep shots and Harrison Bryant again on a deep crosser?  We are here on this thread because he’s 0 for 6 on these plays.

The Line is doing its JoB!!!  

1 hour ago, Zombo said:

Actually, his phrase works.

The Floridian.

But then, is mine wrong? I'm honestly curious. 

8 minutes ago, TypicalBrowns50 said:

If the browns beat the chargers then we will know they are a contender. Chargers are good. We still don’t know how high this teams ceiling is. It really depends on Baker. 

Chargers and Cardinals games will tell us a lot.  We historically play like crap on the left coast. Media has fallen in love with Arizona. NFL.com rated them #1 in the latest power rankings.  

1 hour ago, Nero said:

I believe that your interpretation is better than his as my old college English Lit teacher would say it is "awkward".

1 hour ago, TypicalBrowns50 said:

If the browns beat the chargers then we will know they are a contender. Chargers are good. We still don’t know how high this teams ceiling is. It really depends on Baker. 

Prior to Monday The Chargers gave up 133 yards on the ground to Washington, 198 to Dallas and 186 to the Chiefs.  They’ve suddenly fixed this after Raider game?  And now the Chargers get a some pulling guards and Chubb and Hunt. 

We need OBJ deep and NJoku down the seam to keep their safeties honest and if we can hit on those plays this week. They can’t beat us straight up without safety help in dealing with our run game. 

I’m calling first play play action Deep to OBJ.  

It isn't 2017 any more.

This team is a quality franchise now. With that, comes higher expectations. 

This team is a Super Bowl contender TODAY. With this, comes critique of key players who might be holding the team back from the ultimate goal. 

Browns rush the ball average ranks 1st with 177.0 yards per game.. this is 32 yards higher per game than last season..

Browns rush against defense ranks 3rd allowing 66.5 yards per game..this is 42 yards less per game than last season..

The Browns rank 2nd behind only Carolina in Opponents average Time of Possession, allowing teams 25:39 per game.. Improving by a additional 4 minute drive upon last season..

Browns rank 2nd in opponents yards per play at 4.5 just behind Bills at 4.0... Browns rank 3rd in Sacking opponents and opponents 1st downs allowed per game with 15

The Carolinian  🤓

• 4 weeks later...

The offensive line is playing well and it has been really banged up most of the year.  If not for Baker holding the ball too long on some pass plays it would look brilliant.

JOK looks like a player before he got hurt.

Malik McDowell has been great in most games.

Our biggest weakness in the beginning of the season (kicker) Has been great. 

Greedy has exceeded my expectations.

I thought Newsome would have some rookie type games.  He hasn’t been picked on like I expected.

Newsome at cb is playing great - doesn't play like a rookie. Not even in his first game.

I am also freaking amazed that Baker can throw as well as he has been, with a big injury and

a brace on. But he has been floating a few. I thought Case Keenum should have started the squealer game.

Baker hasn't been perfect, I care but I understand. The only throw that rankles me, is the failure to throw underneath

on the right side to Felton. But, if I figure the squealer fans were outraged when barfsonhislegger never throw to a wide open guy in the end zone, who was frantically waving his hands, but nope.

It happens. I suppose, having Landry playing hurt doesn't help, having Peoples-Jones out of the game hurt doesn't help, having pouty whiny sissy obj dropping passes and not having his head in games this year doesn't help, and having Hance having a tough time with jj quatt. Once "quatt" blew past Hance without Hance getting a hand on him. Caught Hance offbalance with a move.

But back to Baker - come on. He was 20 for 31. Might have been 27 of 31 if not for catchable DROPPED passes.

Baker wasn't perfect. But the loss isn't all on him. Wills played a good game, but still probably has his ankle all taped up bigtime. Not has mobile has he had been. I did cringe when Stefanski called a run by Chubb to the wide left. not a good choice. I don't believe Stefanski makes the same mistakes twice, so we'll see. I still think our OC should call plays the next game, to shake things up vs the bengals defense.

On 10/7/2021 at 2:32 PM, Nero said:

I've been thinking about this again and I think the original one is correct depending on the context.  I originally thought Nero's take on it is also correct.     After checking around maybe this helps to decide the question.

"Is it an assertive or interrogative sentence? If interrogative then the first one is correct. Since in question sentence we put auxiliary before noun or pronoun so,’are' before you is correct. Interrogative sentence ends with a question mark. What you are doing is incorrect way of writing a question sentence.Therefore 1st one is interrogative and should end with question mark and the second one is assertive sentence". 

Oh and to answer the original question we are contenders baby !   And we have contender's problems  -not-  just worrying about who's on the clock.

GO BROWNS,  just win......baby !