THE BROWNS BOARD

Terry Pluto's postgame scribbles from Titans-Browns

BernietheKid

by Terry Pluto/Plain Dealer Columnist

Saturday August 29, 2009, 8:55 PM

UPDATED: 10:44 p.m.

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Scribbles in my notebook as the Browns top Tennessee, 23-17.

1. With Jerome Harrison missing the last two weeks with what is believed to an ankle injury, rookie James Davis (149 yards in 19 preseason carries) is receiving a lot of work at running back. He has quick feet, a nice burst of speed and a good idea how to follow his blockers, then make a move at the right time. He may be the perfect counter-point to the bullish Jamal Lewis at running back.

Remember, Eric Mangini's reputation is that he'll use two running backs. In his three seasons with the Jets, Mangini had a second back with at least 70 carries behind Thomas Jones. In his first New York season, Mangini had three runners with at least 100 carries.

2. The Browns actually threw screen passes -- screen passes that worked! Lewis caught three, Davis caught two. It's something the Browns rarely did the last few years. It's also a nice way to make up for a suspect running game, and to negate a rush from the defense. Before he came to the Browns, Lewis was said to struggle as a receiver. He has had some good moments in limited chances in his first two seasons with the Browns, and it could be a weapon used more this season.

It may not have looked like Brady Quinn could see Josh Cribbs, but he completed this toss to the Browns receiver for a first down in the first half of Saturday's game against Tennessee.

3. Nonetheless, the running game remains a concern. Lewis had only 23 yards in 10 carries. It's better than the seven yards in seven carries that he had against Tennessee last season, when the Titans were 13-3 and ranked sixth-best against the run. Davis had 28 yards in five carries. But the Browns were able to pass the ball against the Titans, who seemed determined to stop the run. Davis had 28 yards in five carries. Run blocking continues to be a concern.

4. Brady Quinn (11-of-15, 128 yards) should be named the starting quarterback this week, giving him and the Browns two weeks to prepare the offense for the opener against Minnesota, the top-ranked defense last season. Derek Anderson (7-of-11, 77 yards), also had some good moments. The Browns do have two quarterbacks who are capable of being effective, which gives them some depth. You'd like to think your quarterback will play all 16 games, but odds are against it because there are so many injuries.

5. When Quinn entered the game in the third quarter with the ball on the Tennessee 34, he made a smart pass to Lewis for 14 yards, when his main receivers downfield were covered. Coaches will like how he didn't try to force that pass into coverage near the end as much as they'll appreciate the 20-yard strike to Edwards for the touchdown on the next play.

6. Just as important as the both Browns quarterbacks looking good against the Titans was Braylon Edwards making three excellent catches and having no drops. He needs some good games at home not only to keep fans on his side, but also for his own confidence. His three catches for 51 yards were the only throws near him.

7. Special teams coach Brad Seely has his group playing well. The Browns are covering kicks extremely well. Joshua Cribbs brings you out of your seat the moment he receives a kickoff or punt. Seely is getting some mileage out of rookie Kaluka Maiava and second-year man Beau Bell, who seldom stepped on the field last season due to a knee injury. Robaire Smith blocked a field-goal attempt. Smith looked very good on the defensive line, especially coming off Achilles surgery.

8. The Browns look more organized, more focused and playing with more of a purpose in the last two games that makes it clear something good is happening in the practices. The Browns need to win some home games, even if it's in the preseason. They need to score some touchdowns. They need to show their fans they are making progress.

9. Don't you love how Mike Furrey knows how to run the kind of third-down pattern for a first down that you'd want from a possession receiver? He did that for Quinn, snaring a pass for 18 yards in the first quarter. He had three passes thrown his way, and caught all three. Furrey did catch 98 passes in 2006, and 61 more in 2007 for the Lions. He had only 18 catches last season as he missed four games with a concussion.

10. On defense, Kamerion Wimbley (a sack), Kenyon Coleman, Ahtyba Rubin, Eric Barton and Robaire Smith all were noticed. Put Shaun Rogers into the middle of the line, and it will look even better. Of course, the coaches will love how Alex Hall read a screen pass from Vince Young, picked it off and ran it back for a touchdown.

11. Akron Hoban product Tyrell Sutton has a real shot to make the Green Bay Packers. The undrafted running back from Northwestern has 154 yards in 30 carries. His running for 91 yards in 16 carries against the Browns really caught the attention of the Packer coaches, and he has played well in limited opportunities since.

Sutton missed four games as a senior because of a wrist injury, but still gained 890 yards. Sutton is Northwestern's second all-time leading rusher with 3,886 yards. In four years at Hoban, he rushed for a state-record 9,426 yards. He has been an overachiever at every level, and that has impressed the Packers.

12. In Oakland two former Browns quarterbacks -- Charlie Frye and Bruce Gradkowski -- are battling for the third spot. Another former Brown, Jeff Garcia, is there along with 2007 No. 1 pick JaMarcus Russell. Frye is now 28, and the University of Akron product is trying to remain in the league for a fifth season. Since being traded by the Browns after starting the opener in 2007, Frye has thrown only 23 passes -- all in one game with Seattle in 2008.

by Terry Pluto/Plain Dealer Columnist

Saturday August 29, 2009, 8:55 PM

UPDATED: 10:44 p.m.

GREAT article from Pluto - thanks Bernie!

I LIKED the way the Browns competed. 1 guy that stood out was Kam Wimbley. People have been trying to write this guy off since he treated us to 11 sacks as a rookie.

Braylon looked great as did Cribbs as did Furrey.

The QBs? I thought they BOTH had a solid night (not perfect by any means) - just being honest. We faced a quality opponent and that could have gone alot worse.

That being the case, I thought the oline held up well in pass protection. No penalties + time to throw = moving the chains. The run blocking didn't impress me as much as the pass protection.

Jamal isn't anything like he used to be when he lit us up for 500 yards rushing in just 6 quarters. He takes 10 steps in order to move 2 yards forward. He runs straight up which takes away all that hot physics behind weight, speed and leverage. I LIKE that he's helpful to our younger RBs - BUT his skills, previous speed and power seem to be pretty obsolete. I think our staff will start the season with him primarily because of experience, leadership and work ethic intangibles. I HOPE I'm wrong in my assessment of him. I'd rather wear the knucklehead hat in this one.

Turnovers? Oh my God, my wood factor went from balsa to sekoya. We scored on an INT? We got a turnover on a kickoff return that led to points. Then when VY broke out his version of Dumb Ass and tried to run the ball as time would have expired short of the goal line - he fumbled it away anyway. How does that song go? "This is how we do it."

All in all, I saw an organized football team that couldn't be distracted by chaos. That's what happens when you have smart coaches coaching smart players. That's a new wrinkle I can get used to. TRUST me!

- Tom F.

JL is at the end of his rope, we need to use him only in short yardage situations and give the ball to the younger faster more athletic backs.

Raging bull theory? ......................hardly if so he would of had 1,500 yards last season other than barely squeeking out 1,000

Archived