THE BROWNS BOARD

10 best guitarists of the 60s?

OK bye with more thoughts later on his nine is a little low for Jeff Beck anyways is it to see who’s about him on the list tens about ride for George I mean I was like Georgia’s Clean Oregon Beatles recorded when he gets a little Siri call the solo as much as I guitar feel better because it was so short most of the time but he was there the talent really when I came to guitars in the Beatles song kind of fell to him. 
George’s clean Oregon Beatles what the fuck that’s gonna be a Lunoe Lulo in transcription wanderings.

just some "jottings"

Im surprised Frank Zappa made that list, everyone probably thinks there might be someone else better?

But I like him  - for the article described the Him & mothers of invention style perfectly. a jazz-rock fusion (progressive?) band.

His background is pretty impressive - 

And as I counted down the list everyone knew who #1 was gonna be!

and George Harrison historically has been  HUGELY underrated 

1 hour ago, FairHooker11 said:

just some "jottings"

Im surprised Frank Zappa made that list, everyone probably thinks there might be someone else better?

But I like him  - for the article described the Him & mothers of invention style perfectly. a jazz-rock fusion (progressive?) band.

His background is pretty impressive - 

And as I counted down the list everyone knew who #1 was gonna be!

and George Harrison historically has been  HUGELY underrated 

I think because of the hype the weirdness Etc Frank Zappa has been largely overlooked as the impressive guitarist that he is. Kind of the same for George because the Brilliance of Lennon and McCartney overshadowed his talent. Much like Ringo Starr's drumming.

And remember we're talking about the 60s.

WSS

Zappa also attracted some of the best talent of his time... The issue was the accessibility of his math-based music.

A statesman of the Polk Audio Forums was  Zappa lover. Spoke of a MSG concert where he introduced his two new drummers... Chester Thompson.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/drummer-chester-thompson-interview-genesis-phil-collins-frank-zappa-weather-report-1122064/

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

I think because of the hype the weirdness Etc Frank Zappa has been largely overlooked as the impressive guitarist that he is. Kind of the same for George because the Brilliance of Lennon and McCartney overshadowed his talent. Much like Ringo Starr's drumming.

And remember we're talking about the 60s.

WSS

all ways thought Zappa was a great player  there is some video out there when he joined pink floyd onstage which leeds into why no Gilmour on the list ?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ATOM said:

all ways thought Zappa was a great player  there is some video out there when he joined pink floyd onstage which leeds into why no Gilmour on the list ?

Possibly because Floyd's Landmark albums were pretty much in the 70s. Even though I had Piper at the Gates of Dawn...

No love for Glen Campbell either.

WSS

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Possibly because Floyd's Landmark albums were pretty much in the 70s. Even though I had Piper at the Gates of Dawn...

WSS

Gilmour didnt play on pipers that was syd he played on saucerful  of secrets  and ummugumma in the 60's 

OK.. time for a "off the top of my head list" in no particular order....

• Carlos Santana
  • Jeff Beck
  • Rory Gallagher
  • John McLaughlin
  • Keith Richards - of all the big name lead g's he's far from the biggest, but he's my fav... More hooks than a Glouchester fisherman... Just play Start Me Up
  • Dick Dale anyone? King of the surf guitars...
  • And a twofer here...Chester "Chet" Akins and Les Paul... yes, the guitar making legend, Les Paul who could play... and there's more than a few albums that prove it... Lester Meets Chester is one of them.
  •  
    OK... that's 7 down and 3 to go...
  • No list can exclude Jimi... no video needed either... Are you experienced? changed rock and lives.
  • David Gilmore... Uber clean... put Floyd on the path to what they became post Stu...
  • One few think of... Walter Becker... the guitar half of Steely Dan to Fagen's keyboards... One of the most listenable guitarists I know of..
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

OK.. time for a "off the top of my head list" in no particular order....

• Carlos Santana
  • Jeff Beck
  • Rory Gallagher
  • John McLaughlin
  • Keith Richards - of all the big name lead g's he's far from the biggest, but he's my fav... More hooks than a Glouchester fisherman... Just play Start Me Up
  • Dick Dale anyone? King of the surf guitars...
  • And a twofer here...Chester "Chet" Akins and Les Paul... yes, the guitar making legend, Les Paul who could play... and there's more than a few albums that prove it... Lester Meets Chester is one of them.
  •  
    OK... that's 7 down and 3 to go...
  • No list can exclude Jimi... no video needed either... Are you experienced? changed rock and lives.
  • David Gilmore... Uber clean... put Floyd on the path to what they became post Stu...
  • One few think of... Walter Becker... the guitar half of Steely Dan to Fagen's keyboards... One of the most listenable guitarists I know of..

Can't argue with any of those. A few decades represented there.

But if we're not specific to a decade I'd say Steve Vai should be at the top or close to it.

Yngwie Malmsteen?

WSS

53 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Yup the criteria is more than a lil mirky... I mean the players should not have to die in the 60s... but if they did, then the list cold be one name, Buddy Holly.

On the former... I did not know Gilmore and Barrett overlapped on Piper, but indeed they did.. Very strange album it is...

On the latter... Glen immediately brings his TV show wingman, Jim Stafford to mind... wicked banjo player and a damn good guitarist.

For the "out there" group how 'bout Robert Fripp? his King Crimson Court of the..." work alone should be enough to put him in the conversation

On 11/15/2021 at 7:25 PM, Westside Steve said:

Nookie Edwards the Ventures?

Thought of the Ventures... had / have a number of their LPs, but never learned the name of a single member...

On 11/15/2021 at 7:32 PM, Westside Steve said:

Can't argue with any of those. A few decades represented there.

But if we're not specific to a decade I'd say Steve Vai should be at the top or close to it.

Yngwie Malmsteen?

Actually thought of Malmsteen, but had no clue of spelling... ;)

• Like 1

The best rock guitar player in the universe was Chicago's Terry Kath.  He played during the 70"s though.

If Jimi Hendricks thinks so, then it's gotta be true. So underrated was Kath.

The legendary guitar play Jimi Hendrix was blown away by Terry Kath's guitar playing. When first hearing Terry Kath play, Jimi Hendrix was quoted as saying that he thought Terry Kath played guitar better than he did. It was later on reported that Jimi Hendrix also called Terry Kath the “Best Guitarist in the Universe.”

• Like 1

Love listening to jazz guitarists. They are technically superior, playing over more complex chord changes.

The difference between a jazz guitarist and a rock guitarist?

A jazz guitarist plays 1000 chords for 3 people, a rock guitarist plays 3 chords for a 1000 people.lol

This Xavier guy got jazz guitarist Grant Geissman's solo down to a tee.

Just love this solo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, nickers said:

I guess they over looked Johnny Winter who was miles better than Eric Clapton...And Ritchie Blackmore shouldve been considered too...

Remember the OP is talking about the best guitar players from the 60s. Most of Johnny's work was in the seventies as was Ritchie Blackmore I think.

WSS

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

Remember the OP is talking about the best guitar players from the 60s. Most of Johnny's work was in the seventies as was Ritchie Blackmore I think.

WSS

Ritchie Blackmore toured with Gene Vincent as his guitarist in the early 60's... yeah Winter started making waves in 68...

On 11/16/2021 at 9:31 PM, Gorka said:

Love listening to jazz guitarists. They are technically superior, playing over more complex chord changes.

The difference between a jazz guitarist and a rock guitarist?

A jazz guitarist plays 1000 chords for 3 people, a rock guitarist plays 3 chords for a 1000 people.lol

This Xavier guy got jazz guitarist Grant Geissman's solo down to a tee.

Just love this solo.

thats what made richard wright from pink floyd sound so good he was a jazz guy

• 2 weeks later...

As a 60s "Rock" guitarist list, I'm ok with it..

I will say that if Duane Allman makes that list then so should BB King, Chuck Berry, John Mayall, Rick Derringer and maybe even Billy Gibbons tho he was very late 60s and more so a 70s guy

I remember playing The Safari's "Wipeout at a school talent day in the mid 60s and thought I was the shit! 🤣

• Upvote 1