THE BROWNS BOARD

Official Browns at Ravens Game Thread: Nov 28

Dutch Oven

Horrendous play calling and worst throws. This game was so eerily similar to the playoff loss to KC last year it's sickening. Great, hell elite, defensive effort with a chance to win the game. I'm not talking at the very end, but the series before.

It's games like this where you just have to shake your head and wonder if Baker "Jared Goff" Mayfield is anything more than a dude who loses games like they did today. I mean, how many have to go this way before you feel that? The defense has to be fuming mad, literally did everything right to be given that turd.

If Baltimore beats Pittsburgh next week, we'll go into the rematch two weeks from now 6-6, they will be 9-3.

Yeah, can't see it happening this season. That Cincinnati 41 point outburst looks more and more like a fluke, or for whatever reason that's the team Baker owns. 

We have an offense that is built on running the ball, play action passing and throwing to the TE

But yet our “genius” play caller throws WAY more then he runs. Allows our hurt QB to play hero ball, and lets our 2 best offensive players barely contribute

If your going to play this type of offense. THEN RUN THAT TYPE OF OFFENSE 

Lots of things to be positive about. We got hit with the injury bug hard this year. JOK is a beast and was all over the field tonight. And our defense overall had an outstanding night.

What is clear is we need a #1 receiver in the draft. Even though Baker is my guy, I say you gotta take a look at QB in the draft as well. Would not be a bad thing to have a possible future QB to groom or just to have as a good backup. 

I am not one of those that have given up on Baker,  but you just don't know how his body will hold out. 

• Upvote 3

So the NFL's #1 rushing team has 37 pass attempts with its questionable QB and 15 rushing attempts with its 2 best offensive players in a game that was never more than 2 possessions, and in fact was just one for the vast majority of a low scoring game? And they lost??  

7 minutes ago, BernieSuperBowl2 said:

The running game didn't work because they stacked the box with 8 to stop Chubb and Hunt. It worked to perfection for the Ravens. The Ravens essentially said: "Try to beat us Baker". Baker couldn't. It's as simple as that.

15 total rushes does not make a concerted effort to establish your identity and toughness in a 1 score game. Less than 4 runs per quarter is just bad play calling. 

^ You privately ask every Browns offensive lineman and both RBs and all 7 will agree. 

1 minute ago, D Bone said:

15 total rushes does not make a concerted effort to establish your identity and toughness. Less than 4 runs per quarter is just bad play calling. 

Did you watch the game? And I'm not being sarcastic. We averaged 2.4 yards per carry. There were defenders in the backfield as Chubb/Hunt were getting the ball almost the entire night - it was that bad. With 8 in the box the whole night the Ravens just dared us to throw and we had no answer.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Browns149 said:

What is it going to take for Kev to bench Baker?

I suspect a broken leg would do it.... 

1 hour ago, Unsympathetic said:

Bullshit.  This is just as true as your promise to leave the thread or the forum today.

You have never been positive about anything about the Browns - ever.  You're not "a fan" - because that would mean feeling something good.

FWIW, my browns "fandom" goes back to the late 50s.  Maybe you missed it- I didn't... Baker "the crip" was gimping again and Stef decided to ride him just like the Titanic to another non playoff year. It's over Grover, sunshine pumpers. 

1 hour ago, Browns149 said:

4 picks

And if you can't beat the Ravens when super Lamar tosses FOUR picks.. You don't deserve to win. And in 12 games this season the Browns stellar offense hasn't scraped up 20 points or more seven times.  Don't blame the defense. For the good of the team- and the Browns- Baker needs to be shut down. For all practical intents, losing to the Ravens ended their playoff hopes. 

14 minutes ago, BernieSuperBowl2 said:

The running game didn't work because they stacked the box with 8 to stop Chubb and Hunt. It worked to perfection for the Ravens. The Ravens essentially said: "Try to beat us Baker". Baker couldn't. It's as simple as that.

Duh!!!  Ya think?   Mayfield is just a shadow of his healthy self.... 

Just now, BernieSuperBowl2 said:

Did you watch the game? And I'm not being sarcastic. We averaged 2.4 yards per carry. There were defenders in the backfield as Chubb/Hunt were getting the ball almost the entire night - it was that bad. With 8 in the box the whole night the Ravens just dared us to throw and we had no answer.

15 total rushes in a one score game. Stef never gave his guys a chance to get into a rhythm. I guess you like the whopping 10 points that Stef's 37 (38 with his cute WR pass) passes put on the board?

6 minutes ago, D Bone said:

15 total rushes in a one score game. Stef never gave his guys a chance to get into a rhythm. I guess you like the whopping 10 points that Stef's 37 (38 with his cute WR pass) passes put on the board?

The Ravens had 8 in the box and there were literally 2-3 Ravens players in the backfield as Chubb and Hunt were getting the ball. There is no rhythm to establish unless you want 0 points instead of 10. 

2 minutes ago, BernieSuperBowl2 said:

The Ravens had 8 in the box and there were literally 2-3 Ravens players in the backfield as Chubb and Hunt were getting the ball. There is no rhythm to establish unless you want 0 points instead of 10. 

So early in the season when the Browns were up late and went into their 4 minute offense to seal the game and the opposition loaded the box because the entire stadium knew they were going to run, and yet they still did it anyway.... well, I guess no one told the Browns that they couldn't run with 8 in the box? 

Again, if it were a 2 or 3 possession game I get it, but not in a one score game. We asked our injured, lacking in confidence and generally poor playing QB to win the game rather than our 7 best players (yes, the Conklin injury was big).

We'll never know what the score might have been if Stef tried to establish the run game, but what we do know is what the score was with him not trying to establish it.... so I guess you win??  

Winners win and losers lose.  I don't have the answer and I know that Haslam doesn't either.  They predicted the Browns would be first in the AFC North and they will be last.  That tells me the Browns leadership (owner, coaching staff and QB) cannot handle pressure and run to the comfort of losing.  Like I said after week 1, there is always next year.  That should be the motto for the Browns "There is Always Next Year".  NFL needs to do all Browns fans a favor, approve the move of the Browns to St Louis, end our misery.       

6 hours ago, BernieSuperBowl2 said:

It's exactly what every good team is going to do to us.

It's what the Patriots did too. 

I'd laugh my ass off if the Browns would have run the ball 60% of the time last night and had one three and out after another, you would have been hearing:

WHAT IS THIS STEFANSKI DO YOU THINK IT IS 1932 STOP HOLDING BAKER BACK! 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, BernieSuperBowl2 said:

No adjustments made on offense, a QB that has proven he can’t make a play in the 4th quarter when it matters

3 hours ago, 7moses7 said:

No adjustments made on offense, a QB that has proven he can’t make a play in the 4th quarter when it matters

Kind of hard to make plays when pass catchers have the fucking dropsies...

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Neo said:

Lots of things to be positive about. We got hit with the injury bug hard this year. JOK is a beast and was all over the field tonight. And our defense overall had an outstanding night.

What is clear is we need a #1 receiver in the draft. Even though Baker is my guy, I say you gotta take a look at QB in the draft as well. Would not be a bad thing to have a possible future QB to groom or just to have as a good backup. 

I am not one of those that have given up on Baker,  but you just don't know how his body will hold out. 

We had an elite receiver and Stefanski didn't know how to use him. You think some rookie is going to transform the WR room next season? Baker is not elite, isn't he now 2-8 on game winning drives?

1 minute ago, MDDawg said:

We had an elite receiver and Stefanski didn't know how to use him. You think some rookie is going to transform the WR room next season? Baker is not elite, isn't he now 2-8 on game winning drives?

Who’s this “Elite” receiver you speak of?

4 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

It's exactly what every good team is going to do to us.

It's what the Patriots did too. 

I'd laugh my ass off if the Browns would have run the ball 60% of the time last night and had one three and out after another, you would have been hearing:

WHAT IS THIS STEFANSKI DO YOU THINK IT IS 1932 STOP HOLDING BAKER BACK! 

If you would've been told before the game that with Chubb, Hunt and the o-line healthy and together for the first time in weeks, the Browns would run the ball a total of 15 times, I'm guessing (at least I would've thought this) that you would instantly think the Browns fell behind big and did so quickly, forcing them out of their game and into a catchup plan.

I don't think anyone is saying that they should've "run 60% of the time with multiple 3 and outs" - at least I'm not, but are you able to honestly tell me that you believe Stef tried to get any establishment of the running game and the LOS last night?

Also, for everyone OK with the lack of rushing attempts and since the Raven's defense did something so magical and innovative last night that no team has ever done in the history of the game, and you are completely satisfied with the 15 rushes from the #1 rushing team in the league, then what is your limit? Should they have rushed just 10 times? 7? 3? "Fuck it all, there are 8 men there, let's just pass every snap".

^ It's a serious question. I mean if you are happy with less than 4 rushes per quarter from the league's top rushing team in a low scoring, 1 score game, then you would probably be happy with even less, so what's everyone's number before even you would finally say "WTF Stef?"

42 minutes ago, CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS said:

Losing Conklin and Bryant also hurt the run game. While the passing attack was already compromised. The defense looked great at least.

Not the year we were all expecting, but at least we still have a competitive football team.

Yeah... That great Defense that couldnt stop the run last night...