THE BROWNS BOARD

Jamal Lewis on the Bubble

Sez.EJ

Guest ATENEARS
How long have you felt like?

Do you want him on the roster? I think if there is room for a short yardage back JL can still provide.

Actually, I started growing tired of Jamal dancing in the hole, about this time last season ... maybe a month later.

It is not that I want to see him get cut, I'd like him on this team for the leadership, work-ethic qualities too. I believe he WON'T be cut, especially factoring in the bonus and not just because of it.

But it wouldn't surprise me if he does get cut, and it wouldn't much bother me either. I'd side with Mangini's call.

I've been saying this all along.

This year, he runs like a Retard in a scrum, playing rubgy. He runs right into the backs of the linemen. No holes my ass. He does this with an open field.

He almost looks silly, churning his legs and going NOWHERE.

Cut em, or use him sparingly. NOT on the Goal Line, for reasons stated above.

I didn't care for Lewis coming to Cleveland in the first place, but at this point he deserves to stay on the roster just for the depth. James Davis who I feel is going to be a stud (live in ACC country, saw a lot of him the past couple years), but he's still a rookie. I really like Jerome Harrison too, but he is more a change of pace guy. I think Jamal will get the carries for 2-3 games, suck, and slowly but surely see his carries drop to maybe 5-10 a game mainly for short yardage situations. By the end of the season, Davis will be the guy and Jamal will take the hint. What was said here it true though, Lewis is really mentoring Davis right now which is very valuable experience for a rookie.

I also think what everyone else said is true, this would of happened in OTA's or before training camp. I don't think it has to with "respect" so much as common sense. We wouldn't give him the time with the 1st team in camp & carries in the preseason just to let him go now. He'll be on the roster, but his role with the team will be little to none by the end a la the edge last season.

NO I think when you are making a joke, you need to make a good one. obviously you don't have the necessary brain power to come with anything funnier than Bill Joe Tolliver. Man where is lums when you need him.

I am sorry, I didn't know you held Billy Joe Tolliver in such high regard. My bad.

Your affinity for Billy Joe is cute, yet moving.

What's funnier then Billy Joe Tolliver? Billy Joe Robidoux?

Billy Joe Tolliver is nothing. I could care about him about as much as I care about which type of Lube Lum's uses with DA.

That's the point. Sharp as a Marble over here.

Billy Joe Tolliver + JADBF. Here you go, just in case you lost your wallet picture.

tolliver-billyjoe.jpg

Cool, while we are at it, let's sign Billy Joe Tolliver for his "veteran presence".

This board is indeed entertaining. I remember Chris Berman saying about Billy Joe Tolliver, something like " no NFL team with a QB with three names has ever made a Superbowl."

My point is more about keeping a few guys around who have actually experienced winning, even if it is on a hated enemy, like where JL came from. JL has to stay, because without him we'd have Harrison, Davis, and Herron...not too much experience there.

Anybody remember Peter Tom Willis ? :rolleyes:

No way, totally insane. As others have posted, we need his veteran presence.

Mike Lombardi, why even print this horse ^&%$

Insane??/ are you kidding?...Jamal "tippytoe 2 yards" Lewis SUCKS ASS. I truly can't stand to watch him carry the rock....he can't get to the edge anymore, doesn't hit the hole quick enough, runs up the backs of lineman(gonna get em hurt), And James Davis?anybody.....make us a better offense. Time for a change at running back be it harrison or davis or someone else. That is from a talent point of view, agreed it would cause locker room uproar...but not as much as shep thinks...these guys see the same thing. Jamal doesn't get it done on the field, and hasn't for a while. I like using him on screen plays but running him between the tackles is pointless.,..he is in no way Jerome bettis

Guest Masters

No back is actually getting it done this preseason for the Browns really. Take away Davis's 81 yard run against DET's 3rd stringers and he's got 18 carries for an average of 3.8 yards per carry this preseason. Most of that is also still against 2nd and 3rd teamers.

Lewis has certainly lost the ability to get to the edge, but between the tackles, most of that "tap dancing" both last year, and this has been while waiting for a hole to even open. When there has been an opening, he has hit it. Just like he did in the DET game for a TD.

No back is actually getting it done this preseason for the Browns really. Take away Davis's 81 yard run against DET's 3rd stringers and he's got 18 carries for an average of 3.8 yards per carry this preseason. Most of that is also still against 2nd and 3rd teamers.

Lewis has certainly lost the ability to get to the edge, but between the tackles, most of that "tap dancing" both last year, and this has been while waiting for a hole to even open. When there has been an opening, he has hit it. Just like he did in the DET game for a TD.

Again... We see things differently...holes are open for a split second in this league, then close quickly...the tippytoeing loses precious time to hit the hole. You call it patient runner and following blocks...I call it missed oportunity... he looks so slow compared to harrison/Davis. and with the tippy toeing lewis doesn't run over anyone anymore only when he is in space is he a bull for defenders to tackle, which Rarely happens anymore.

I'm not a fan anymore and really can't stand watching the dude get two yards every carry. Anyway....just another split we have on football...lol ;)

Guest Masters
Again... We see things differently...holes are open for a split second in this league, then close quickly...the tippytoeing loses precious time to hit the hole. You call it patient runner and following blocks...I call it missed oportunity... he looks so slow compared to harrison/Davis. and with the tippy toeing lewis doesn't run over anyone anymore only when he is in space is he a bull for defenders to tackle, which Rarely happens anymore.

I'm not a fan anymore and really can't stand watching the dude get two yards every carry. Anyway....just another split we have on football...lol ;)

We don't see it really differently. I fully agree holes open for a split second in the NFL then close. I also would agree Davis and Harrison are faster.

Where we'd disagree is the number of holes that are even being opened by the line so far (and last year). Which from what I have seen are very little of even small holes for a back. The other would be Lewis to be a bull to tackle. Multiple times this preseason, when there has been no hole and the play should be a no gain or a loss, Lewis has turned it into 2 or 3 yards.

I am no more a fan of 2 yards a carry than you are. But until the OL starts doing something against the big boys of other teams, it's not going to matter who is back there from what I have seen. CLE can't run to the left side all day and teams are stacking up on that side. From C to RT, those guys have to do better in the run game for any CLE back to have consistent success.

Guest Masters
Masters, James Davis is getting to his YPC like every other back in the NFL. Nobody really runs 30 times for 4.5 yards each time. It's almost always skewed by a long one. Even last game when he had a solid outing (5 for 28) he had a 16 yard run (and a good screen play, too).

He's been really, really good. Don't rain on it.

I don't mean to rain on it, but let's keep in perspective. I can only get so excited about an 81 yard run against the 3rd stringers of Detriot. Outside of that, the product has been marginal. And I don't mean it as a knock really on Davis, as that issue is on the OL. It's more to point out that the seperation of production of him over Lewis is marginal right now, by no fault of either guy.

You are right on the YPC and it's always skewed. I was more pulling that one out because of who it came against.

We don't see it really differently. I fully agree holes open for a split second in the NFL then close. I also would agree Davis and Harrison are faster.

Where we'd disagree is the number of holes that are even being opened by the line so far (and last year). Which from what I have seen are very little of even small holes for a back. The other would be Lewis to be a bull to tackle. Multiple times this preseason, when there has been no hole and the play should be a no gain or a loss, Lewis has turned it into 2 or 3 yards.

I am no more a fan of 2 yards a carry than you are. But until the OL starts doing something against the big boys of other teams, it's not going to matter who is back there from what I have seen. CLE can't run to the left side all day and teams are stacking up on that side. From C to RT, those guys have to do better in the run game for any CLE back to have consistent success.

Personally think the lineman have been doing a good job. JD has been in with the ones and is a better back than lewis...by far IMO. So is a healthy harrison. It still pisses me off Harrison didn't get more time under Rac. :unsure:

I dont get it. Even against the Titans, Davis had his cases of happy feet. Bernie said so much in the booth even. Holes close, Davis gets TFL'ed, Lewis, falls forward.

Davis has made a few nice cuts, off-tackle, but has had the same fate when running between the tackles as Lewis. I think Lewis can't get to the outside like he used to, and so those plays aren't being called while he's in. I really think it's a matter of play calling, lack of blocking, & a lack of Harrison that we aren't seeing the slash factor we're after.

I'll be excited to see Harrison and Davis against the Bears.

I dont get it. Even against the Titans, Davis had his cases of happy feet. Bernie said so much in the booth even. Holes close, Davis gets TFL'ed, Lewis, falls forward.

Davis has made a few nice cuts, off-tackle, but has had the same fate when running between the tackles as Lewis. I think Lewis can't get to the outside like he used to, and so those plays aren't being called while he's in. I really think it's a matter of play calling, lack of blocking, & a lack of Harrison that we aren't seeing the slash factor we're after.

I'll be excited to see Harrison and Davis against the Bears.

Legs I agree with what you're saying but when there is an opportunity to bounce outside Lewis leaves the yards on the field.

There is room for all three backs in this offense, I just don't want for Harrison and Davis to get RAC 'n ROLLED again. Split the carries.

I will be surprised if ANY of our backs do much against Minni week one unless it's in the passing game. The defense looked amazing yesterday. Very scary with 3 probowlers on the DL alone.

I thought the idea of Lewis being cut was farfetched when I posted this. Lombardi usually uses more discretion in his reporting. I can't see us cutting the one true veteran RB we have.. I can see fewer carries, but not being cut.

Archived