THE BROWNS BOARD

Scottish Hammer ...gone

Bob806

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/sports/pro/browns/2021/12/22/cleveland-browns-go-punter-dustin-colquitt-waive-jamie-gillan-afc-north-playoffs/8991798002/

Went from a training camp cult hero to the scapegoat in KC. He catches that snap, or boots it somewhere, anywhere, he's still here.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/sports/pro/browns/2021/12/22/cleveland-browns-go-punter-dustin-colquitt-waive-jamie-gillan-afc-north-playoffs/8991798002/

Went from a training camp cult hero to the scapegoat in KC. He catches that snap, or boots it somewhere, anywhere, he's still here.

I had a feeling he was outtie... Thats too bad... on to the next...

Saw this on the network a while ago..

My 1st thought... He won't get claimed & put onto our PS...  shall see 🔨

Recapping Browns moves: Kevin Stefanski out of COVID protocol. Austin Hooper & Jacob Phillips out of COVID. Greg Newsome sent to COVID list. JoJo Natson out of COVID protocol. Jamie Gillan waived.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, nickers said:

Agree. It's a bottom line business, but getting axed at Christmas time no matter where you work really sucks.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nickers said:

And I even have a Scottish Hammer T-shirt.  😪 No really, you have to go to the second page of punter stats to find him. 43 yard average, and the top guys are around 48. Don't know what happened to his leg this year.   

4 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Don't like that move one bit. Colquitt was sitting on the couch for a reason.

WSS 

OK.  But now that can be said about the hammer.

...and I wouldn't feel none too safe if I was the kicker either.

41 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Don't like that move one bit. Colquitt was sitting on the couch for a reason.

WSS 

Well, I said it in my previous post...  Here ya go Steve...   https://www.nfl.com/stats/player-stats/category/punts/2021/REG/all/puntingaverageyards/desc

Fan Fave Jamie ranks 31st in the NFL in punting average of guys who have more than 20 punts...  And I love the guy... But you're only as good as your last kick.  As Bill Belichick would say "released due to diminishing skills".... I'll take that back (checking)... He wasn't much better last year either.  And our new guy Colquitt wasn't any better in 2020. So we traded one bum punter for another bum punter. Ray Guy he isn't.

FWIW, there's plenty of FG kickers sitting on the couch waiting for the phone to ring too.  :)

2 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Noooooo

Woody's avatar just got the axe.  He WAS an exciting player once.

8 hours ago, nickers said:

I wonder if he will get picked up anywhere ?  An exciting but brief career just below the NFL pension I think.

Exciting for a bit, a hard job to lose !  Picked up $139,602 in incentives in a few years.

Estimated Career Earnings

YEAR TEAM AWARDS SALARY SIGNING BONUS ROSTER BONUS WORKOUT BONUS RESTRUCTURE BONUS OPTION BONUS INCENTIVE EARNINGS
2019 Player Cash Earnings   $495,000 $10,000 - - - - $60,394 $565,394
2020 Player Cash Earnings   $675,000 - - - - - $79,208 $754,208
2021 Player Cash Earnings   $708,330 - - - - - - $708,330
3 seasons   $1,878,330 $10,000 - - - - $139,602 $2,027,932

SEASONS TEAM   SALARY SIGNING BONUS ROSTER BONUS WORKOUT BONUS RESTRUCTURE BONUS OPTION BONUS INCENTIVE TOTAL CASH
3 seasons Player Cash Earnings   $1,878,330 $10,000 - - - - $139,602 $2,027,932

22 minutes ago, Orion said:

We should draft Cade York, LSU - kicker.

Yes something needs to be done there. The last 2 kickers we drafted didn't pan out so well (Zane Gonzalez, Austin Seibert). 

6 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

The last 2 kickers we drafted didn't pan out so well (Zane Gonzalez, Austin Seibert). 

Yeah.  We weren't too good at drafting QB's either.  Does Phil Dawson have a son?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, hoorta said:

And I even have a Scottish Hammer T-shirt.  😪 No really, you have to go to the second page of punter stats to find him. 43 yard average, and the top guys are around 48. Don't know what happened to his leg this year.   

maybe he was drunk ?

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Well THIS is an intriguing take on the situation... 😳

I say because the hammer is always getting COVID.  And it's only the punter...and he's not doing great anyway...and his fill in was doing fine.   Do ya say bye to the covid factory and keep the family man?

1 hour ago, Orion said:

I say because the hammer is always getting COVID.  And it's only the punter...and he's not doing great anyway...and his fill in was doing fine.   Do ya say bye to the covid factory and keep the family man?

I say bye because Colquit is far better at placing the ball deep behind the other team's 20 y.l. The hammer also outkicked his coverage too often without also placing it OOB so it was not returnable.

BTW look who stands at #2.  Only the f'n Browns do this shit.   https://www.nfl.com/stats/player-stats/category/punts/2021/PRO/all/puntingaverageyards/desc

3 hours ago, Orion said:

I have no idea what being a "family man" has to do with anything, but if the Browns thought he was putting himself and the team in jeopardy regarding his behavior and contracting Covid, then yes, ciao Hammer of Scottish descent... 

17 hours ago, ATOM said:

maybe he was drunk ?

Hammer 🔨 the parting kicker ?   Did he party his way out of a good paying job and oh so close to locking up an NFL pension ?

I think he might have been a bit injured too something he might not want to talk about...... just sayin'.

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Hammer 🔨 the parting kicker ?   Did he party his way out of a good paying job and oh so close to locking up an NFL pension ?

I think he might have been a bit injured too something he might not want to talk about...... just sayin'.

Like all young Lad's n' Lasses... I don;t think he drank anymore than his fair share of his peers and colleagues... I thought he was a pretty good young kid.. Never thought of him as a trouble maker but certainly no angel.. He was a good young dude.. I hope he gets on ok...

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, nickers said:

Like all young Lad's n' Lasses... I don;t think he drank anymore than his fair share of his peers and colleagues... I thought he was a pretty good young kid.. Never thought of him as a trouble maker but certainly no angel.. He was a good young dude.. I hope he gets on ok...

I think in bygone decades let's say before the 80s they used to party a LOT like it's 1999.  I think that they are more scrutinized now than ever.

And nothing wrong with young guys and gals having fun.....god knows we did !

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Good for him... Had to look it up, as a tenured practice squad guy Jamie will make $14,000 a week as long as he sticks. Pays the hotel bills.  Yeah, they only get paid for 16 games max, but if you stretch that out to a year, it works out to over $700,000.  :)