THE BROWNS BOARD

RIP John Madden

D Bone

so many coaching/TV childhood flashbacks...  ☹️

so many football childhoods took a hit today.. (boom!) 

RIP John Madden 🙏 

“If you think about it, I've never held a job in my life.

I went from being an NFL player to a coach to a broadcaster.

I haven't worked a day in my life.”  :D

- John Madden.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

First Superbowl I remember watching was Raiders vs Vikings

my parents always went to their friends house and we would watch the game and there was always betting pools

I also remember they had walnuts, that we would crack open, and there was change in them. Still not sure how that happened

And I don’t want to know how it happened 

• Upvote 1

Really ironic that they had the Madden special Christmas Day before the  Browns game. Wife was asking why, is he dead? Had to tell her, no- just giving him a well deserved tribute while he's still alive.  

Everything else aside,  just his work in the TV booth puts him on the Mount Rushmore of commentators.  RIP, John. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

Really ironic that they had the Madden special Christmas Day before the  Browns game. Wife was asking why, is he dead? Had to tell her, no- just giving him a well deserved tribute while he's still alive.  

Everything else aside,  just his work in the TV booth puts him on the Mount Rushmore of commentators.  RIP, John. 

KInd of reminds me how Charles Schultz passed away the night before the last Peanuts strip came out. 

Helluva football career. 

This remains my favorite non Browns NFL memory. Curt Howdy on the call....fast forward to the 6 minute mark, one of the greatest plays & games in history.

The joy of Madden on the sideline. Awesome.

• Upvote 1

good morning viewing some of John's chalk talks & first usage of the telestrator (hours of youtube videos) 

https://www.sportscasting.com/was-nfl-broadcaster-john-madden-the-first-to-use-a-telestrator/

Blimps / Penis patterns / nor Pigeons were spared from Johns fun..

He had always maintained that The Immaculate Reception was an illegal play. We believe you John.

I guess he'll find out for sure now.

I read that Madden was Nolls choice for the Steelers defensive coordinator, but then the Raiders HC job came up. 

That Raiders/Steelers rivalry was the fiercest in the history of the NFL.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, SkippinTurtles said:

Madden had a left-handed QB from Alabama in Ken Stabler.  Tua is left-handed from Alabama.  Trade some socks for him.  No one respects Tua.

Tua is noodle armed garbage...

3 hours ago, Gorka said:

He had always maintained that The Immaculate Reception was an illegal play. We believe you John.

I guess he'll find out for sure now.

I read that Madden was Nolls choice for the Steelers defensive coordinator, but then the Raiders HC job came up. 

That Raiders/Steelers rivalry was the fiercest in the history of the NFL.

Yes, fast forward the Immaculate Reception to the level of 2021 playoff broadcasting,  there would have been at least four different camera angles and super slow motion to give us the definitive answer. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/28/2021 at 7:06 PM, Browns149 said:

First Superbowl I remember watching was Raiders vs Vikings

my parents always went to their friends house and we would watch the game and there was always betting pools

I also remember they had walnuts, that we would crack open, and there was change in them. Still not sure how that happened

And I don’t want to know how it happened 

my older brother got into the raiders locker room after the game it was funny 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SkippinTurtles said:

Madden had a left-handed QB from Alabama in Ken Stabler.  Tua is left-handed from Alabama.  Trade some socks for him.  No one respects Tua.

yep. Stabler kept throwing to crazy old Fred Biletnicoff sp? again and again and etc etc etc.

22 hours ago, SkippinTurtles said:

I’d take Ken “The Snake” Stabler over Tua, 100 times over

21 hours ago, ATOM said:

my older brother got into the raiders locker room after the game it was funny 

He should've taken you to an AA meeting instead :P

Funny story from my friend who won a SB with with Baltimore who was then traded to the Raiders. He had been a two way college player (DB/WR) and his second year with the Raiders he felt comfortable enough with coach Madden to go to him and let him know he had been a decent WR as well if he needed him there. Madden politely declined telling him, "I think I'm ok this year with Biletnikoff and Branch, but thanks for the offer." My friend still chuckles about that experience with Madden who saw the all-pro that Cliff Branch would eventually become.

One of a kind Coach Madden. RIP.