THE BROWNS BOARD

Is a .410 adequate for Home Defense? Testing the Henry Axe .410

DieHardBrownsFan

• 1 month later...

In an apartment or a lot of houses or people close by it would be ok.   I saw a demonstration on the outdoor channel, not bad.

I like my 20 gauge but as long as something makes a lot of noise and spits lead.......in the hands of a good shooter...... you're alright.  

I've always wanted a .410 in some form.   Maybe a .410/.45 LC  or  9mm/.410 ?

Screenshot_2022-02-24_150730.jpg

Screenshot_2022-02-24_151337.jpg

An email I got today,  a Derringer for a carry weapon eh?  Maybe a drawer gun.....but  I'd have more than one .410 and  .45 the other? 

A purse pistol ? Yes i could see that. 

Still a cute little gun.

Screenshot_2022-02-28_162947.jpg

Screenshot_2022-02-28_162928.jpg

My cousin a leftie had a. 410 rifle when we were kids a bolt action but for some reason he never really took it out much and I think that he sold early......can't ask him now  he was a heavy smoker early on and passed on at 67 two years ago.....oh well. 

I've noticed that the. 410s are  kinda expensive now like just about everything else.   Looked up the Henrys anybody here ever bought any at any caliber  ?

Screenshot_2022-02-28_193549.jpg

Don't even mess around. How about my 1940 Remington (Browning patented) 20 gauge 28' barrel Semi-auto A-5 with full choke matched with 00 Buckshot.? Shoots all exactly where you want them with relatively little scatter across a large indoor space. John Browning designed this and Remington made them in the USA from 1940-46 before they were switched to Belgium FN. I recently traded a 12 gauge Beretta O/U for this and a Japanese Made Browning SA-22, a rifle Browning thought was maybe his best work of art and perfected with Japanese steel & dark walnut stock/forearm. The 22 look like it had never even been fired even though made in 2013. The shotgun had small rust spots with no pitting that came off with copper mesh & cotton balls followed by Hoppe's #9 gun cleaner and then coated with with Hoppe's gun oil. Like the .22 it shoots like it just came home from the factory. 

image.png.725880d319666c72016c07d082d9f3b2.png

EDIT: Plus the trade settle the argument over who eventually gets my Henry .22, my daughter who shot expert with it from day one, or my son. Now he gets the Japanese Browning  which is worth more than twice as much as the Henry and she gets the one she can shoot straight. Both are happy 🤩🤩and I get a better dove gun than the overkill 12 gauge I traded in. I don't hunt waterfowl anymore so I'm happy to get what I was raised on with the 20 gauge .😍

• Upvote 1

John Moses Browing a true firearms genius with among many others his 1911 and nasty M2 the "ma deuce " still in use today.   

He invented many guns that were far above just a home defense weapon......but a 1911 .45 ACP  would stop an intruder cold. 

On 3/4/2022 at 12:06 PM, mjp28 said:

He invented many guns that were far above just a home defense weapon......but a 1911 .45 ACP  would stop an intruder cold. 

Yeah, but so will my Replica 1858 Remington revolver with Hornady Critical Defense 45 Long Colt in it. Even greater stopping power than those puny .45 auto rounds. 😱🤣

• 3 weeks later...

I just got a brochure from Bond Arms out of Granbury,  Texas they only make Derringers all with interchangeable barrels and the accessories. 

All kinds of calibers even a .410  for a carry,  pocket,  purse or tackle box gun.  I've always thought that they were nice......now practical ?  A .357 MAG and 3½ " bbl, hmmm ???

Cute little things but I can't get my wife interested in a carry weapon.   

Calibers:

• 4 1/4″ barrel, .410/.45LC (included on gun)
  • .357 MAG/.38 Spl
  • .45 ACP
  • .45 Colt, Only
  • .45 Glock Auto
  • .44 Special
  • 44-40 Winchester
  • .40 S&W
  • 10 mm
  • 9 mm
  • 32 H&R Mag
  • .22 Long Rifle
  • .22 Mag.

And Bond Derringers could you find a use for one at  $269+ ?  Two .410s or maybe a  .45 and. 410 in a drawer or a car center console. Just a toy ?  :wub:

Accuracy

These are not target pistols, the Bond Arms pistols are short-barreled defensive pistols, so you cannot hold them to the same accuracy st andards. The Bond Arms are still minute-of-man accurate at 50-yards which is impressive. Realistically, shots beyond 10 yards take some practice .

Of note, there is difference in point-of-aim between the top barrel and bottom barrel. However, if you hold center of mass, you will consistently deliver gut and chest hits. If you want to shoot for groups, pick a barrel and cycle through shooting groups with that chosen barrel. Otherwise, you will end up with a 2-inch top group and about 4-6 inches lower, another 2-inch group with the respective barrels.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still thinking about a .410 shotguns or handguns,  I'm not crazy about the Henry. 410 shotgun MSRP $1,012 price either.  But a few more facts on the matter,  it seems to be a niche firearm. 

Conclusion

The Henry Lever Action .410 Shotgun Side Gate is a handsome, well-put-together firearm that functioned with no problems on the range and in the field. It can have more than one primary mission as it serves as a hunting shotgun for small game, an all-purpose “truck gun,” and it would be effective for home defense.

What We Like

• Rugged construction.
  • Functioned loading, firing, and ejecting with no problems.
  • Handsome wood and fit and finish.
  • Versatile in use with many ammo options.

What We Would Change 

• A 3-inch chamber would be nice; I understand it would entail redoing the entire action.
  • Put rifle sights on both models.
  • Provide a “half cock” position on the hammer.

Compare To

The Winchester 9410 lever action .410 has been out of production for some years but still can be found in the used gun department. Marlin also produced a version of its model 1895 in a .410 shotgun before the bankruptcy and subsequent purchase by Ruger firearms. It is unclear at this time if Ruger will be including a lever .410 shotgun in its production. The older models of the 1895 .410 can be found in the used market.

Henry-Lever-410_6.jpg

Henry-Lever-410_10.jpg

On 4/18/2022 at 10:54 AM, DieHardBrownsFan1 said:

All Henry's are extremely well made.  But expensive as hell.  I got offered one for almost 1200 dollars and declined.

I picked up a new Henry .22 lever action Golden Boy for only $400 a couple or three years ago. The lever is so smooth you can use it with your little finger without a hitch. Feels like butter. Very, very accurate and for that price well worth the money. Now they have a MSRP of just over $610. But the higher calibers will cost a whole lot more than $1200 now if you are trying to get an original replica in .44-40 or .45 LC. But a Standard Henry .30/30 with Walnut stock is only around $1,000 MSRP.

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/golden-boy/

But this is all you really need DieHard.   LOL!🤣

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/texas-tribute-edition/

I think that I will pass on the Texas Golden Boy  and keep my ol' Winchester 290 S/L/LR instead. 

I must be getting old but $1,071 MSRP for a .22 rifle I just can't see.....even for a Henry. 

Model Number. H004TX. Action Type. Lever Action. Caliber. .22 S/L/LR. Capacity. 16 LR/21 S. M.S.R. Price. $1,071.00