THE BROWNS BOARD

22 LR

hammertime

It's a great idea. 22 wmr were harder to find last time I checked.  We are headed for

all hell breaking loose - and it's only the early second year of this leftwing asswhole fiasco.

.22 and. 22 MAG with hollow points some great fun and it can be a home defense ammo of choice.......if you can pull the trigger a few more times. 

That's where I learned to shoot firearms way back when,  still true today. 

My wife has my old western style. 22 MAG w/HP upstairs  "just in case".

• Upvote 2

I now have two .22LR rifles and two .22 LR handguns with a ton of CCI HP Stingers and Aguila Copper Jacketed HPs. And several hundred practice rounds of CCI Polymer Coated Lead. If I am ever surrounded by squirrels or wild rabbits I can hold out for days. But I'm kind of hoping they send in the big guns first------ wild turkeys.😋

• Haha 1

On 3/9/2022 at 9:11 PM, hammertime said:

Why not ?   It’s probably underrated…

let’s look at availability and ammo….

may be the last chance to get a weapon and ammo

Don't listen to the naysayers. A 22 with high velocity hollowpoints can kill you just as sure as anything else and it is far easier to carry in a takedown (easily made into halves for backback carry). Plus the ammo is cheaper and far easier to find that all the other stuff. And new shooters learn on it easier since the recoil is negligible. If I can have my daughter, who never even picked up her bother's BB gun, hitting 14 of 15 in the bullseye with a Henry lever action from a standing position in 15 minutes from 25 yards, then anyone can learn to shoot it accurately.

I agree with this guy on the takedowns as survival rifles. I have the original takedown version in an 11 + 1 Browning SA 22.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I now have two .22LR rifles and two .22 LR handguns with a ton of CCI HP Stingers and Aguila Copper Jacketed HPs. And several hundred practice rounds of CCI Polymer Coated Lead. If I am ever surrounded by squirrels or wild rabbits I can hold out for days. But I'm kind of hoping they send in the big guns first------ wild turkeys.😋

Sounds like a Bug's Bunny cartoon   -but-  some validity there.  I have an old Winchester .22 caliber  290 which can fire 21 Short/ 17 Long/ 15 LR as fast as you can pull the trigger......but I do prefer  .22 MAGs.  I prefer to have shotguns and backup guns also. 

If your objective in home defense is to have an easy to use   -and-   make some noise and if necessary hurt or even kill you can use a  .22 but obviously a bigger  bullet with a bigger load can bring someone down easier with fewer shots. 

The key in all of this home defense stuff is planning and live practice with the guns you intend to use.  

I'm comfortable with anything that I pick up   -but-  I've had plenty of practice.   😁

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

Sounds like a Bug's Bunny cartoon   -but-  some validity there.  I have an old Winchester .22 caliber  290 which can fire 21 Short/ 17 Long/ 15 LR as fast as you can pull the trigger......but I do prefer  .22 MAGs.  I prefer to have shotguns and backup guns also. 

If your objective in home defense is to have an easy to use   -and-   make some noise and if necessary hurt or even kill you can use a  .22 but obviously a bigger  bullet with a bigger load can bring someone down easier with fewer shots. 

The key in all of this home defense stuff is planning and live practice with the guns you intend to use.  

I'm comfortable with anything that I pick up   -but-  I've had plenty of practice.   😁

Same here mjp. With those 22s go the 20 gauge Remington A-5, a 9mm Ruger pistol (which I carry concealed), a Ruger .357 SA Blackhawk and an 1858 Remington 45 Long Colt replica from Uberti. Makes gun cleaning a long afternoon process every two or 3 months, but it's a fine hobby to have and take my kids and grandkids along from time to time since I have free access to a range to myself owned by a fellow Vietnam Vet. No dumbbunnies to worry about that could be dangerous on a range. In those kinds of places I don't trust the skills/safety of strangers that I didn't personally teach. With my own I do because I was taught by the best and teach mine everything he taught me. Plus my friend has a set of safety rules posted that I read to them each and every time we go out to his place. His rules are so good that my father could have written them for him.