THE BROWNS BOARD

Schefter: Watson to Browns

Riffer X

On 3/22/2022 at 7:01 AM, Flugel said:

Wonderful!  Welcome to Jacoby Brissett as your new starting QB with Brock Osweiler as an alternative.  I'm not nearly as excited as you are about that.  And now you're complaining to me about the Browns beating Pittsburgh 48-37 AT Pittsburgh  in the playoffs after an 11-5 season just 3 years after 0-16 football (and 1-15 the year before that)? Don't you have to understand where we were at to understand that was fun for us as fans again?

After seeing Indy's last choice of QB (Wentz) - I'd refrain from making them your role model for picking QB solutions today. We're beyond the point of arguing who and who doesn't want Baker.  It's over.  There was a better way to do this. Already explained it a few times in this thread..

EDIT: Just heard a replay of Adam Shefter's report saying teams aren't refraining from Baker for a perceived lack of talent - it's the 18 million $ salary the Browns guaranteed him in his contract for this year. The ESPN show hosts agreed that as soon as the Browns eat that guaranteed salary and cut him - teams like Seattle and/or Carolina probably won't hesitate to bring him in. 

Baker just said something stupid about Carolina...his immaturity is costing him MILLIONS

On 3/22/2022 at 7:48 AM, Flugel said:

And you haven't clung to just the LOWS Larry?  I've agreed a million times his 2021 season was a massive disappointment Larry.  Just to make you happy - I'll do it again.  Baker sucked last year!  All this is behind us now except for the 18 million $ guaranteed salary preventing potential teams that should be interested from taking the risk on a guy we can't throw away fast enough.  

It's also Baker's immaturity. He just said something stupid about Carolina. His mouth outweighs his talent. Who wants to deal with a guy who needs everything to be right (top 5 oline, rushing attack, defense, landry, hooper, njoku) to succeed but acts like Aaron Rodgers? He has attacked medical staff, former coaches, players about contracts, local and national reporters.....I mean remember he went to the media saying only HE makes the decision to play or not through his injury? How dafuq that makes your GM and HC feel?

People bring up the Steelers playoff win like they didn't watch the Steelers implode with 5 turnovers?? He isn't worth it.....especially at 18 mill....he maynot be worth it for free

12 minutes ago, laiccm said:

It's also Baker's immaturity. He just said something stupid about Carolina. His mouth outweighs his talent. Who wants to deal with a guy who needs everything to be right (top 5 oline, rushing attack, defense, landry, hopper, njoku)to succeed but acts like Aaron rodgers? He has attacked medical staff, former coaches, players about contracts, local and national reporters.....I mean remember he went to the media saying only HE makes the decision to play or not through his injury? How dafuq that makes your GM and HC feel?

People bring up the Steelers playoff win like they didn't watch the Steelers implode with 5 turnovers?? He isn't worth it.....especially at 18 mill....he maynot be worth it for free

You made some good points.  You don't need to sell me on the difference of talent between Watson and Baker.  I wanted us to draft Watson coming out of Clemson. If we did that - I wouldn't have to tell you I also wanted us to draft Baker 1 year later.  Watson didn't excite Jimmy and the FO until after he got himself into trouble - then rinsed and repeated it 21 more times.  

Understanding at least some of that, it doesn't seem like you are aware of which guy has a greater chance of being suspended in 2022.  It's the guy with the character you don't have any complaints about.  22 different female victims of sexual assault and/or misconduct is what Goodell said he has to investigate.  That may not sound like anything big to some Cleveland fans; but there's going to be a lot of people swarming his office with complaints about rewarding this guy.  I'm talking about people that have had a family member or 2 assaulted.  The NFL channel's morning show on Monday already mentioned there's been some growing backlash about it.  They also mentioned that all this talk about our owner and FO saying they did a thorough investigation left out any attempts to reach any of the 22 victims and their attorneys.   

Keep in mind, Goodell is the same guy that began a comprehensive investigation of the accusations of former and present female employees of Daniel Snyder and concluded there was only 1 bad guy in that entire investigation.  It was Jon Gruden of the Las Vegas Raiders not to be confused with the Washington Football Team.. Make sense?  It shouldn't...  Then again, Snyder was one of the wealthy owners involved in the process of approval for improving Roger Goodell's salary.  That may almost sound like Watson might have a chance...   Unfortunately for him, there's been some lingering backlash with that Washington situation ready to unite with those in this situation complaining about the NFL rewarding Watson on Roger's watch.  We shall see...

16 minutes ago, Flugel said:

You made some good points.  You don't need to sell me on the difference of talent between Watson and Baker.  I wanted us to draft Watson coming out of Clemson. If we did that - I wouldn't have to tell you I also wanted us to draft Baker 1 year later.  Watson didn't excite Jimmy and the FO until after he got himself into trouble - then rinsed and repeated it 21 more times.  

Understanding at least some of that, it doesn't seem like you are aware of which guy has a greater chance of being suspended in 2022.  It's the guy with the character you don't have any complaints about.  22 different female victims of sexual assault and/or misconduct is what Goodell said he has to investigate.  That may not sound like anything big to some Cleveland fans; but there's going to be a lot of people swarming his office with complaints about rewarding this guy.  I'm talking about people that have had a family member or 2 assaulted.  The NFL channel's morning show on Monday already mentioned there's been some growing backlash about it.  They also mentioned that all this talk about our owner and FO saying they did a thorough investigation left out any attempts to reach any of the 22 victims and their attorneys.   

Keep in mind, Goodell is the same guy that began a comprehensive investigation of the accusations of former and present female employees of Daniel Snyder and concluded there was only 1 bad guy in that entire investigation.  It was Jon Gruden of the Las Vegas Raiders not to be confused with the Washington Football Team.. Make sense?  It shouldn't...  Then again, Snyder was one of the wealthy owners involved in the process of approval for improving Roger Goodell's salary.  That may almost sound like Watson might have a chance...   Unfortunately for him, there's been some lingering backlash with that Washington situation ready to unite with those in this situation complaining about the NFL rewarding Watson on Roger's watch.  We shall see...

I wanted him too...I always thought it was strange that a guy who tore up a Bama defense twice, packed full of future NFL players, we wouldn't get. makes me think Hue was right.....lol

It's not that I don't have any complaints about Watson....it's just 2 things.. Its all about if your talent outweighs your issue (Baker's don't)and 2nd  -NFL had had way too many issues like this and those actually convicted  and kept moving for me to have any real concern...vehicular homicides, rape, assaults, murder (Ray Lewis, Henandez), Indy owner, Pats owner, racial discrimination (they just started paying black CTE victims as much as whites because their analysis was blacks were dumber than whites thus it's harder to prove CTE). How can I make Watson 22 allegations that all were thrown out by a Grand jury that usually can indict a ham sandwich my line with all of those things aforementioned? He has elite talent, court cleared him....lets go

I think Watson will get 10 games....there's no telling. Not to be political but they are all conservative wealthy men who all voted to give the nuclear football to someone with 25 allegations (other side ignored ignored Bill's as well). Will they make a example out of Watson or say he served a year already? So inconsistent that it's totally up in the air

21 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I've heard a theory that the NFL in general is super duper pissed at the Browns for the contract that they gave to Watson, and the reason no one is going after Baker is that everyone kind of wants to stick it to the Browns and make them eat Baker's contract. 

I mean, in some ways, it seems far-fetched, but on the other hand... 

I guess it could be a possibility.  We may have opened Pandora's Box.  It was bound to be opened soon enough, but we did it first.

1 hour ago, ballpeen said:

I guess it could be a possibility.  We may have opened Pandora's Box.  It was bound to be opened soon enough, but we did it first.

Yeah...waa they made at Mahomes near half a billion? Rodgers 50 mill a year.....?

They should be more upset at alot of other things than that...F THEM

GO BROWNS!!

I honestly can't blame Jimmy Haslam on this one... balls'zzzy why hell yeah ! but...

1.) he's had the inside track/knowledge from Watson's attorney, because of a past relationship with Watson's attorney.. what did they think he would do?.. we did our background work 

2.) The media said "The Browns are 'OUT' of the Watson deal" only Atlanta & tSaints were in..

3.) Did he quit?  F no... offered Watson what 31 other teams could have offered... 1 team said they would have matched the offer 🤧 (uhh sure)

This deal has Haslam's ownership all over it... I want to see what he knows ?... the players talent is not what I question ...

fk' what the other teams think

what's said is said... just took some days to hit... submit reply

I'll admit, the timing of the lawsuit always struck me as interesting. 

Watson demands to be traded from Houston, and before you know it, the Texans owner's lawyer neighbor has almost two dozen clients lined up against Watson. 

On the other hand, let's be real about the "exhaustive background check" the Browns did on Watson. They don't give two shits if he did this, they just wanted to make sure none of it was going to stick to Watson before trading the world for him. I mean, this is the Haslams we are talking about.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'll admit, the timing of the lawsuit always struck me as interesting. 

Watson demands to be traded from Houston, and before you know it, the Texans owner's lawyer neighbor has almost two dozen clients lined up against Watson. 

On the other hand, let's be real about the "exhaustive background check" the Browns did on Watson. They don't give two shits if he did this, they just wanted to make sure none of it was going to stick to Watson before trading the world for him. I mean, this is the Haslams we are talking about.

And like there was ALMOST no escalation whatsoever...like..BOOM 22. And as they say the grand jury can indict a ham sandwich...they didn't indict him on a singe 1? They could've indicted him on 2 and sent the other 20 packing away for example....but not even 1?

Exactly....don't stick ...they don't give a F

• Upvote 1

On 3/21/2022 at 3:52 PM, Flugel said:

All that is fine and dandy; but I saw this team win 11 games and rathouse Pittsburgh 48-37 in the playoffs to see what is possible.  That already separates him from Andy Dalton.   One of our losses was a 47-42 loss on Thursday Night Football only because Baltimore got the ball last. Anyone call out the defense that night while the offense put 6 TDs (no FGs) on the board?  One of the best games of that year according to the announcers of it.  Anyone show film of Baker that night?  Of course not.  Whether you want to admit this or not, in the KC playoff game (at KC) - Baker hit Higgins with a pass that should have been the GW score late in the 4th qtr.  Guess who fumbled 3 inches in front of the goal line for a touchback?  Higgins.    We can pretend that never happened but a more talented WR secures that football or gets to the goal line quicker.  That TD would have put the Browns in the AFC Championship with the QB I keep reading just can't win.  You've seen him do it.  

Shifting gears to now.  I was thinking that giving Baker his final year of the contract, keeping our next 3 1st round picks and having an opportunity to draft one of these QBs (Pickett, Corral, Strong, Willis) at #13 overall wouldn't have us worrying about the length of a suspension.  Roger won't be afraid to make an example of Watson; because it sure looks like he's excited about doing his own investigation.  The last time he investigated what a dirt bag Daniel Snyder - the only person that got punished was Jon Gruden (from another organization).  Stay tuned?  We have no choice.

Yep....exactly right. The media, with the help of Browns have made Mayfield look like a draft bust. I didn't care for his attitude, but I've seen worse. These people point out the OBJ fiasco...how Baker couldn't get the ball to him. That's a load of crap. The guy wanted out before he ever got here. He couldn't run a correct route to save his life. He was a free lancer that did not fit this offense. Why don't they have a video of all the balls that were in his hands, that he dropped? Baker brought excitement back...expectations of winning in any game. I can't believe how easily they turn on a qb who was the best we've had since '99. I'm with you...I'm out. I know this whole Deshaun Watson thing is going to blow up in Haslam's face. Berry will be the scapegoat...the Browns and Cleveland will be the joke of the NFL...as usual. The only good that can come from this, is if Haslam is somehow decides to sell the team after all the humiliation. I can't even begin to imagine a worse owner.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, lodilobo said:

Yep....exactly right. The media, with the help of Browns have made Mayfield look like a draft bust. I didn't care for his attitude, but I've seen worse. These people point out the OBJ fiasco...how Baker couldn't get the ball to him. That's a load of crap. The guy wanted out before he ever got here. He couldn't run a correct route to save his life. He was a free lancer that did not fit this offense. Why don't they have a video of all the balls that were in his hands, that he dropped? Baker brought excitement back...expectations of winning in any game. I can't believe how easily they turn on a qb who was the best we've had since '99. I'm with you...I'm out. I know this whole Deshaun Watson thing is going to blow up in Haslam's face. Berry will be the scapegoat...the Browns and Cleveland will be the joke of the NFL...as usual. The only good that can come from this, is if Haslam is somehow decides to sell the team after all the humiliation. I can't even begin to imagine a worse owner.

Let's pause.....in 4 years Baker attacked medical staff, local journalists, national talking heads, former coach, other player's about their contracts.....please name the QB in 4 years who did all that? Why you think no one wants to pay the 18 mill while elite QBs out here getting 40? His mouth doesn't out weigh his talent...everything needs to be perfect around him to thrive-how often does that happen?.. Carolina reps stated they weren't interested in Mayfield....dude responds with we're not interested in them either. That's not Halslam, FO or fans fault....it's Baker

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, lodilobo said:

Bye.

15 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

He’s got the mouth of a 4 Time League MVP and Super Bowl Champ. Certainly tolerable under those circumstances.

Now would be a good time to stay quiet unless he’s financially secure and doesn’t mind playing for the Iowa Barnstormers if they still exist. 

Wonder what Progressive paid him for doing those commercials?   I've mentioned it before, but the amount of money major insurance companies pay for advertising is insane. Led by GEICO'S $1.5 BILLION annually. Progressive isn't far behind.  I'll let you imagine (if you're insured through those folks) what part of your bill goes to advertising. I did it once, and it's a LOT.   

44 minutes ago, laiccm said:

I saw this to....just look like it's going to go nowhere.....one of the same individuals...

I hope so...  

Well, if Harris County won't do your bidding, pick another county.  Darn, I wish the Gipper was still with us to weigh in.  If the said offense didn't happen in your county, how can you convene a grand jury there?   

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

I hope so...  

Well, if Harris County won't do your bidding, pick another county.  Darn, I wish the Gipper was still with us to weigh in.  If the said offense didn't happen in your county, how can you convene a grand jury there?   

Deshaun Watson: Second grand jury declines to indict Cleveland Browns quarterback on criminal charges

Brazoria County prosecutor: Grand jury declined to indict Watson following review of evidence, witness testimony

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/deshaun-watson-second-grand-jury-declines-indict-cleveland-browns-quarterback-criminal-charges

Rusty Hardin, one of Watson’s attorneys, told FOX 8 Cleveland that a complaint had been filed by one of the women who are involved in the 22 civil lawsuits levied at the former Houston Texans quarterback.

A Harris County grand jury dismissed nine of 10 criminal complaints against Watson earlier this month, setting the path for the Texans to trade Watson to the Browns last week.

Hardin said the complaint wasn't new and that officials wanted to wait until the Harris County grand jury finished its deliberations before the next case was presented.

Deshaun Watson introductory news conference scheduled for 1 p.m. Friday, per #Browns.   🍿 🍿 🍿 

Deshaun Watson will conduct his introductory press conference at 1 p.m. Friday at the #Browns facility along with Andrew Berry and Kevin Stefanski. Jimmy and Dee Haslam will be available via Zoom at 3
  • Thanks 2

Brady and Belichick were cheating for decades.  Day and night.  Brady cheated.  F Him and his rag arm.  Moss made him look explosive.  Blew an undefeated season against a pussy Giants D with solid 4 rushers and no back 7.  Should have 5 SB losses in the weakest division and conference ever.   Matty Ice choking and Marshawn no hand off gave him two rings.  Tell me I'm wrong!  Otto rules.  Stay clean, Watson.

17 minutes ago, SkippinTurtles said:

Brady and Belichick were cheating for decades.  No way Watson passed through some obstacles without due diligence.  Brady cheated.  F Him and his rag arm.  Moss made him lookll explosive.  Blew an undefeated season against a pussy Giants D with solid 4 rushers and no back 7. 

Billy B. spent his whole football coaching life trying to figure out how to chisel some way to get an edge in football,  legal or not. 

Brady kind of the unlikable quarterback unless you were a UM, NE or just recently a TB fan.  What will it take for he and Gronk to go away for good  ?  

6 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Billy B. spent his whole football coaching life trying to figure out how to chisel some way to get an edge in football,  legal or not. 

Brady kind of the unlikable quarterback unless you were a UM, NE or just recently a TB fan.  What will it take for he and Gronk to go away for good  ?  

Yuo.....For example I have ZERO doubts the Pats organization did know Aaron Hernandez was a complete murdering monster.  They just didn't gaf....

7 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

John Belushi was the shit.  Neighbors kinda sucked.