THE BROWNS BOARD

Schefter: Watson to Browns

Riffer X

if this was posted elsewhere? sorry... clears up some of the smoke ... https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/03/21/mmqb-how-browns-got-back-in-deshaun-watson-chase

Berry's, Watson process may have started back in Oct./ November..

• According to a Browns source, by then, they had done a lot of the work in , and really ramped up their background research in January as their season ended. They had their security people and their lawyers on it, and also deployed private investigators to dig into the cases against Watson, and also his past, going back to his time in high school and college.

17 hours ago, laiccm said:

Let's pause.....in 4 years Baker attacked medical staff, local journalists, national talking heads, former coach, other player's about their contracts.....please name the QB in 4 years who did all that? Why you think no one wants to pay the 18 mill while elite QBs out here getting 40? His mouth doesn't out weigh his talent...everything needs to be perfect around him to thrive-how often does that happen?.. Carolina reps stated they weren't interested in Mayfield....dude responds with we're not interested in them either. That's not Halslam, FO or fans fault....it's Baker

Mayfield has always had an attitude to the point of being obnoxious and embarrassing. If you decided to move on, why not bench him last season, when he's injured? That would have been a perfect opportunity to start the process. They're stuck for the $19 million, anyway. They could have played Keenum...maybe signed a free agent backup...Instead they decide to make fools of themselves...again, ....and pay DW $230 million, completely guaranteed, no less, knowing that he has all these accusations, and most likely will not play for at least 8 games in 2002. Is this their plan to gain respect and a winning tradition back? Do you younger guys even realize what a great franchise this once was? When I was growing up, in the 50;s and 60's, the Browns were among the winningest teams. I've dealt with all the different owners and coaches over the past 60 years...I've dealt with all the bad players and poor decisions, but I've never seen an owner like Haslam, who seems to have one goal. That's to drag the once proud name of the Cleveland Browns through the mud over and over. Can he really be this dumb? He's the owner of a major corporation...a billionaire, no less. How is he incapable of building a winning team with respectability? This is a guy who has let a homeless man decide who to pick in the draft. The other owners must be having a field day laughing at this guy. I'll just say this about Mayfield....I've defended him many times, when I thought he was being treated unfairly. But...he has alienated pretty much everybody who once rooted for him. Him may have ruined his young career with his stupid actions and comments. When a team would rather have Carson Wentz over Mayfield, that pretty much tells the story. So...don't get the idea that there is no limit to my loyalty for Baker. I'm just completely disgusted with how this organization continues to screw up everything they touch. The drama never ends.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, lodilobo said:

Mayfield has always had an attitude to the point of being obnoxious and embarrassing. If you decided to move on, why not bench him last season, when he's injured? That would have been a perfect opportunity to start the process. They're stuck for the $19 million, anyway. They could have played Keenum...maybe signed a free agent backup...Instead they decide to make fools of themselves...again, ....and pay DW $230 million, completely guaranteed, no less, knowing that he has all these accusations, and most likely will not play for at least 8 games in 2002. Is this their plan to gain respect and a winning tradition back? Do you younger guys even realize what a great franchise this once was? When I was growing up, in the 50;s and 60's, the Browns were among the winningest teams. I've dealt with all the different owners and coaches over the past 60 years...I've dealt with all the bad players and poor decisions, but I've never seen an owner like Haslam, who seems to have one goal. That's to drag the once proud name of the Cleveland Browns through the mud over and over. Can he really be this dumb? He's the owner of a major corporation...a billionaire, no less. How is he incapable of building a winning team with respectability? This is a guy who has let a homeless man decide who to pick in the draft. The other owners must be having a field day laughing at this guy. I'll just say this about Mayfield....I've defended him many times, when I thought he was being treated unfairly. But...he has alienated pretty much everybody who once rooted for him. Him may have ruined his young career with his stupid actions and comments. When a team would rather have Carson Wentz over Mayfield, that pretty much tells the story. So...don't get the idea that there is no limit to my loyalty for Baker. I'm just completely disgusted with how this organization continues to screw up everything they touch. The drama never ends.

More than just obnoxious and embarrassing..its immature to a point where it's childish and his talent doesn't outweigh it. You see any teammates coming to his defense? There's a reason.

Bench him? You forget how Baker ran to the press and stated only he makes the decision  for him to sit? In combination of the medical staff clearing him then wtf are you supposed to do other than play him? He's the no.1 pick who just helped win a road playoff game against Pittsburgh.  Baker bet on himself, put the contract before his team well being...and lost.

I disagree. Them getting Watson might be their best move yet. Money means very little to me because in 2 seasons the next contract for a elite QB is 60 mill a year...Watch what Burrow and Herbert get.

As in Watson's criminal case...dead. civil suits...we will see. I think Brisset can hold the fort down for a bit until the suspension. 

As in go all in with Baker this year...you wanna go to war against Lamar, Wilson, Mahomes, Burrows, Herbert, Josh Allen ...with Baker? How many seasons Chubb, Garrett, Wars, Hunt...etc have?

Not a fan of Haslam..never really been. But Baker is the author of all his ills. Imagine if he would've just STFU and got surgery last year?  He would've gotten a contract I gauarantee....

Heck, After Watson turned the Browns down he could've swallowed a little pride and got a contract in that window.....naw...he gonna go " trade me to the Colts "

1 hour ago, laiccm said:

More than just obnoxious and embarrassing..its immature to a point where it's childish and his talent doesn't outweigh it. You see any teammates coming to his defense? There's a reason.

Bench him? You forget how Baker ran to the press and stated only he makes the decision  for him to sit? In combination of the medical staff clearing him then wtf are you supposed to do other than play him? He's the no.1 pick who just helped win a road playoff game against Pittsburgh.  Baker bet on himself, put the contract before his team well being...and lost.

I disagree. Them getting Watson might be their best move yet. Money means very little to me because in 2 seasons the next contract for a elite QB is 60 mill a year...Watch what Burrow and Herbert get.

As in Watson's criminal case...dead. civil suits...we will see. I think Brisset can hold the fort down for a bit until the suspension. 

As in go all in with Baker this year...you wanna go to war against Lamar, Wilson, Mahomes, Burrows, Herbert, Josh Allen ...with Baker? How many seasons Chubb, Garrett, Wars, Hunt...etc have?

Not a fan of Haslam..never really been. But Baker is the author of all his ills. Imagine if he would've just STFU and got surgery last year?  He would've gotten a contract I gauarantee....

Heck, After Watson turned the Browns down he could've swallowed a little pride and got a contract in that window.....naw...he gonna go " trade me to the Colts "

Look we all know everybody who has been under center for the Browns has had his share of haters. And I believe 99% of the time the hating starts first and then the haters look for reasons, real or imagined, to back it up. So after an entire offseason of the front office telling everybody that would listen that he's the starter for 22 and then getting the knife in the back he got pissed off? Who, besides a complete  puss, wouldn't? That is some pretty weak shit.

If your  wife is banging  the paperboy would your first reaction be to bow your head and make sure to bring home more money and keep the house and yard nicer for when  he  visits?

WSS

Well, once again, the idiots in the front office has screwed the Browns and Browns fans. The Watson acquisition is ludicrous. Sold out the BROWNS for the next 4+ years. $230 mil. for Watson, who may not even start this season due to NFL's possible sanctions....what??? hASSlam and "dingle"Berry have to be certifiably insane! Now, the F.O. jettison's Tretter and Landry with no compensation what-so-ever. Pro bowlers who were vital to the Browns and we get nothing for them? And, why release Tretter...he was just given a new contract and was essential to the O-line. This exceeds pure stupidity. Landry was a victim of salary cap restrictions...but to just release him???,,, not even try to trade him... Gotta think hASSlams wife must be a good masseuse(OK, my bad)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Look we all know everybody who has been under center for the Browns has had his share of haters. And I believe 99% of the time the hating starts first and then the haters look for reasons, real or imagined, to back it up. So after an entire offseason of the front office telling everybody that would listen that he's the starter for 22 and then getting the knife in the back he got pissed off? Who, besides a complete  puss, wouldn't? That is some pretty weak shit.

If your  wife is banging  the paperboy would your first reaction be to bow your head and make sure to bring home more money and keep the house and yard nicer for when  he  visits?

WSS

Or people were right and then the person under center proved it more? You can be pissed all you want, but adults have adult reactions. Going to social media and demanding a trade screwed him over and you blame him. Billion dollar business.....emphasis on business. Business is never personal...it's business.

For 18 million the paperboy can film it.....idgaf....especially if I wasn't hitting it right anyway but acting like I was....

24 minutes ago, laiccm said:

Or people were right and then the person under center proved it more? You can be pissed all you want, but adults have adult reactions. Going to social media and demanding a trade screwed him over and you blame him. Billion dollar business.....emphasis on business. Business is never personal...it's business.

For 18 million the paperboy can film it.....idgaf....especially if I wasn't hitting it right anyway but acting like I was....

Well I guess your response doesn't surprise me. Of course the bitch from the dumbass Texans that you're getting hard over hasn't been that easy to get along with has he?

WSS

• Like 1

Wow the Press Conference. 

good tough questions.  Some very leading of course…talking about the 22 cases and not the criminal charges that are being dropped the past couple weeks.  Scripted as though the allegations are still pending some criminal resolution…but they aren’t.

I thought Andrew Berry was very good…changed his tone and was soft spoken on the “hard” questions.  

not a lot to take away from Deshaun speaking other than his Legal team coaching him up really well. 

I thought Good damage control overall.

The nuggets I got…I think they expect an NFL suspension.

They had doubts about Baker during the year (probably much sooner than that) we have a good portion of folks on here that understand the limitations he had.  

maybe they weren’t turning over stones in regard to Rodgers and Wilson…they like that Watson is in his prime. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/24/2022 at 6:54 PM, Vambo said:

Deshaun Watson: Second grand jury declines to indict Cleveland Browns quarterback on criminal charges

Brazoria County prosecutor: Grand jury declined to indict Watson following review of evidence, witness testimony

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/deshaun-watson-second-grand-jury-declines-indict-cleveland-browns-quarterback-criminal-charges

There's Yinzer fans who still swear Mark Malone was an awesome QB. Vag is prolly one of them.

Malone-Selleck.PNG.28e6483bcce5929c3a50171e0c9ade2a.PNG

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, ballpeen said:

I like to 'name" players I don't think are very good.

I was especially proud of "Chump" Thompson.

The oft injured with a sock tackle Evan Moorecelain Doll.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2022 at 11:31 AM, 69Rixter said:

Well, once again, the idiots in the front office has screwed the Browns and Browns fans. The Watson acquisition is ludicrous. Sold out the BROWNS for the next 4+ years. $230 mil. for Watson, who may not even start this season due to NFL's possible sanctions....what??? hASSlam and "dingle"Berry have to be certifiably insane! Now, the F.O. jettison's Tretter and Landry with no compensation what-so-ever. Pro bowlers who were vital to the Browns and we get nothing for them? And, why release Tretter...he was just given a new contract and was essential to the O-line. This exceeds pure stupidity. Landry was a victim of salary cap restrictions...but to just release him???,,, not even try to trade him... Gotta think hASSlams wife must be a good masseuse(OK, my bad)

1) Watson has made the Pro Bowl and led the league in passing yards on a crappy team- Baker hasn't. Ia has pointed out the next round of QB contracts in a couple years (Burrow et al) are going to make Watson's look cheap by comparison. 

2) The latest news in the NFL is teams are throwing draft picks around like confetti.   https://www.nfl.com/news/saints-add-second-2022-first-round-draft-pick-in-multi-pick-trade-with-eagles  Watson was our first round pick this year.  

3)  Hmmm... Landry, Tretter, and Clowney are all still unsigned by the entire league. Ring any bells? Their asking price happens to be too high- not only for the Browns but anyone else FWIW.   

On 3/25/2022 at 11:31 AM, 69Rixter said:

"dingle"Berry have to be certifiably insane! Now, the F.O. jettison's Tretter and Landry with no compensation what-so-ever. Pro bowlers who were vital to the Browns and we get nothing for them? And, why release Tretter...he was just given a new contract and was essential to the O-line. This exceeds pure stupidity. Landry was a victim of salary cap restrictions...but to just release him???,,, not even try to trade him...

umm...it's not the same NFL anymore.  It's hard to trade an aging player with a large salary.  Teams don't want to take that on.  That's why the players are simply released now.  And Tretter...we drafted a center.  This can't be a surprise.  Plus he's the prez of the player's union.  He's a great guy, everyone knows that, but it's still a PITA to have the union prez on the team.

I'd want Tretter, Landry and Clowny on our team.  I don't see Landry coming back though.  Kind of a matter of pride.  He's gone because he wanted too much money so he'll probably just take less elsewhere rather than come crawling back to Berry and Co.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Orion said:

umm...it's not the same NFL anymore.  It's hard to trade an aging player with a large salary.  Teams don't want to take that on.  That's why the players are simply released now.  And Tretter...we drafted a center.  This can't be a surprise.  Plus he's the prez of the player's union.  He's a great guy, everyone knows that, but it's still a PITA to have the union prez on the team.

I'd want Tretter, Landry and Clowny on our team.  I don't see Landry coming back though.  Kind of a matter of pride.  He's gone because he wanted too much money so he'll probably just take less elsewhere rather than come crawling back to Berry and Co.

Exactamundo Orion.  Landry's supposed asking price was WR top shelf $20 million a year. He's not worth that anymore. Didn't cost us anything to release him either BTW.  So unless the three are willing to take significant pay cuts, they're going to be sitting by the phone waiting for a team to have an injury at their respective positions and hope that they can get something close to what they think they're worth. The Browns are more than willing to take all of them back- at the right price. Supposedly the Browns have already offered Clowney two years and $24 million, and he's not interested... YET.    :)   

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

Supposedly the Browns have already offered Clowney two years and $24 million, and he's not interested... YET.    :)   

He's a mercenary.  But he's a mercenary that doesn't want to do training camp.  :)

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Orion said:

He's a mercenary.  But he's a mercenary that doesn't want to do training camp.  :)

I already said something to that effect elsewhere.. Agreed...

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Orion said:

I wonder if Watson will do training camp? And OTAs? Stefanski seems like the kind of guy that lets Rich players slack off. Then they get hurt.

I guess a lot of that depends on how in shape these guys stay during the offseason.

WSS

7 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

QB's don't skip training camp.  Especially new ones with as much of a learning curve as Watson will have between new receivers, coaches and language.  

Signal callers are there unless there's a contact dispute.

So far; unprecedented times ya know. Quarter of a billion guaranteed I might not show up until game day with a bag of donuts and a six pack.

😄

WSS

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

So far; unprecedented times ya know. Quarter of a billion guaranteed I might not show up until game day with a bag of donuts and a six pack.

😄

WSS

For some odd reason I actually pictured this and literally laughed out loud

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

😄

WSS

I'm genuinely curious about something Steve, and this is not meant to be snarky.

Since I've been on this board, of all the moderators or longtime guys on here, you really don't post that often on the Browns forum. You have your movie forum, the Shrine to Deep Thought that is the political forum, but you really don't post very much on the actual Browns forum. Not during 1-31, or the playoff run of 2020. 

Until it appeared Baker Mayfield was going to lose his starting job, and then did lose his starting job. Now you are on here consistently. I'm just curious to why now.  

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'm just curious

Perhaps I haven't been here long enough...but I haven't noticed much of a difference in his posting frequency.  He always posts Pluto updates.  Maybe I don't pay close enough attention.

11 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Quarter of a billion guaranteed

I remember right after the Ravens won the Super Bowl, Flacco got his big contract.  (big for the day)  I saw this Ravens team picture circulation where every player was cropped out of the picture except Flacco...sitting all alone in the bleachers.  And so now, here we are.  

It's hard for me to believe that DePodesta came up with the idea of getting Watson for this price.  And I'm not 100% sure that Berry actually has a side to him that is this flamboyant.  Now, Jimmy, that's different.  It certainly does seem up his alley. But THIS time I actually mean it in kind of a good way.  I mean, he could've screwed up the team payroll for the next decade (with league-wide ripple affects)...butt it solidifies just how much he and Dee want to win.  I truly believe that they want the team to be a winner right through to their marrow.  I'm reminded of a story where a Browns player's wife ran into Dee at a store one day and they got to talking.  And the player's wife said that Dee was brought to tears as she was explaining how much they want the team to win...and that they haven't been able to do it and that they feel so horribly bad about it.  

Jimmy & Dee have admitted that they didn't know what they were doing when they started out.  And they still may not.  But I'll give them this much;  They realize just how important it is to have a top flight QB in today's NFL.  (reality check, it's always been all about the QB)  And they realized that Baker just was not that QB.  And...there just so happened to be this top tier QB that was available.  A VERY rare event.  A top tier QB, who is young and not at the tail end of his career is available.  He's gonna go to some team.  THIS is what their football team needs to be successful.   So, knowing that they were going to get beat up doing what they did....they did it anyway.  It's like making a deal with the devil.  And if they didn't, someone else would've.

We can hate this reality.  We can hate them for not having the standards that some of us may want them to have.  But it certainly underscores just how much they want the team to be a winner...so they can stop crying in their pillow at night.     ---   Very rare for me to shine a positive ray on JImmuh  -- 

8 hours ago, Orion said:

Perhaps I haven't been here long enough...but I haven't noticed much of a difference in his posting frequency.  He always posts Pluto updates.  Maybe I don't pay close enough attention.

You could be correct, if just seems like he's been on here far more lately than I ever remembering before. Sure, he'd post Pluto links, but actually participating in daily threads? It feels like it has increased of late, not a bad thing of course, just an observation.  I was curious to why Baker Mayfield seems to be the catalyst to Steve actually becoming a regular on the Browns forum.