THE BROWNS BOARD

Draft Thoughts

Flugel

As we get closer to the Draft, here's some needs and depth issues I see to address in random order:

1. Defensive Tackle - There's some depth - but I don't see any difference makers.  On top of that, the loss of McDowell to a run defense that gave up 4.2 yards per carry last year shows a need for improvement..

2. DE/Edge Rusher - We're missing Clowney at this point; and hopefully that's just temporary.  If not, this is definitely an area we have to address.

3. Center - Right now, we're not even average at this position in a division that usually has some Pro Bowl talent at DT/NT. 

4. Offensive Tackle - Good to have Chris Hubbard back healthy to fill-in for injured starters (like Jack Conklin possibly).  That said, I think there's some talent at this position that could compete with Hubbard for the RT spot.

5. Linebacker - It would be nice to find someone who could challenge Anthony Walker for his role in this defense.

I welcome your ideas and insights here as well.

5 minutes ago, runyon27 said:

I would agree with this assessment, but add WR to the mix if nothing further is done in FA.

Very good point!  I can't believe I left WR off that list.  It definitely belongs there with what we have right now. Thanks!  

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Flugel said:

As we get closer to the Draft, here's some needs and depth issues I see to address in random order:

1. Defensive Tackle - There's some depth - but I don't see any difference makers.  On top of that, the loss of McDowell to a run defense that gave up 4.2 yards per carry last year shows a need for improvement..

2. DE/Edge Rusher - We're missing Clowney at this point; and hopefully that's just temporary.  If not, this is definitely an area we have to address.

3. Center - Right now, we're not even average at this position in a division that usually has some Pro Bowl talent at DT/NT. 

4. Offensive Tackle - Good to have Chris Hubbard back healthy to fill-in for injured starters (like Jack Conklin possibly).  That said, I think there's some talent at this position that could compete with Hubbard for the RT spot.

5. Linebacker - It would be nice to find someone who could challenge Anthony Walker for his role in this defense.

#5 has been a concern of mine for a long long time. 

I realize the NFL has changed, with lots of 4 or 5 wide offenses, and the Browns/Joe Woods likes the 4-2-5 alignment to combat those formations. JOK seems like a great pick, but the Browns need another force at LB. Presently they have picks #44, 78, & 99 in the upcoming draft.

When they triage their needs, I bet LB isn't as high as DT. I think it's more important to get that LB, guys that cover, guys that can actually make a stuff near the LOS.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bob806 said:

#5 has been a concern of mine for a long long time. 

I realize the NFL has changed, with lots of 4 or 5 wide offenses, and the Browns/Joe Woods likes the 4-2-5 alignment to combat those formations. JOK seems like a great pick, but the Browns need another force at LB. Presently they have picks #44, 78, & 99 in the upcoming draft.

When they triage their needs, I bet LB isn't as high as DT. I think it's more important to get that LB, guys that cover, guys that can actually make a stuff near the LOS.

Well said Bob! 

FWIW, I think they can draft a good sized Safety to play that role if he's got good instincts).  A lot of people forget the Bears MLB/ILB Brian Urlacher was actually a Safety at New Mexico State so he had great instincts beating quick receivers to an inside hook zone.  I'm sure there's other kids today that can transition from Safety to Walker's role in this defense.  A guy like Polamalu (Polyneedsahaircut) in Pittsburgh would have excelled in a role like Walker's.  

• Upvote 2

The list is fine.  

I can’t argue with best available either pass rusher, IDL or Center at 44.  If a WR with a first round grade drops I might be tempted there. 

Travis Jones UConn DT one to watch.  He had a nice Senior Bowl.  Looks like a sleeper.

Wandale Robinson Kentucky WR.

Brock Purdy ISU QB

one of my favorite last year was JoJo Domann S/LB doesn’t have a position.  He just covers well, tackles well…does it all well. 

But We need to identify and select the best kicker.  If it’s Cade York early in Day 3 so be it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Travis Jones UConn DT one to watch

Jones and Farrell from LSU are the one's on my list at the moment for those mid-to-late producers.

What this team needs, especially if you want an infusion of young talent with high midround return value, is just that...  more midround picks.    They need to secure draft capital in some way in order to help address needs on this team that are looking emergency-ish.   Which is why I never ruled out them moving Kareem for pick(s).    The RB ROOM will still thrive without Hunt, but will we survive on the IDL without young picks who can rill their roles early? Not likely.

In that case, WR and IDL get my priority when feuding over 3rd-5th round picks.   Then a nod to C & RT.  Followed up by S and possibly LB.

• Upvote 2

I was listening to nfl radio's Jim/Pat's 1st Mock draft yesterday.. A lot of the teams picks, just made some good sense. Well done, up to the F.A. period up to now.. They believe, most of the top teams have pass rushing/OL/WR needs, that out weigh any QB needs at the top.. including Carolina taking Penning & Washington taking WR(seeing the future price tag of T.McLaurin) 

Jets/Giants/Philly had multi picks up top.. same PR/OL/WR made sense. Pat made perfect sense of why a team like Philly would draft the top center Tyler Linderbaum. He can play Guard this season, and Philly knows this will be the aging center's last season with Jason Kelce.. anywho? It was good stuff, not posted up on twitter yet.. I paid close attention to whom may have fell to pick #13...WR/ Jordan Davis vs picking Jermaine Johnson might have fell straight into the Ravens laps.

As of today? we look to have a dire need of replacing a Clowney DE/ a McDowell DT/ a M.Jackson DT..Tak & Gust'o are gone too..or just resign them..butt, just like last season? of babying OBJ at a trade deadline? a new baby has arrived in what to do with Baker? Berry can't catch a breathe nor break again now answering to a Watson trade 🙃

2.#44

3.#78/3.#99

4.#118

no 5th

6.#203

7.#224/7.#247

Berry moves 7th round picks... He's traded for Jano once.. and combined his other to trade up with his other..  

call me in the mood for only drafting 4 to 5 players (move ups).. --or-- Berry has traded picks for promising players named Ronnie Harrison & Curtis Weaver for 4th round picks too! 

I won't like walking into any draft screaming our needs... 32 days left & Berry has some serious drafting room setup work to do...

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

The FSU kid?

Yes..Hutch/Trib/Walker/ were off.. Garrett Wilson & Drake London were the only receivers off the board/  J.Johnson was Pat's pick to Ravens.. 

3 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Yes..Hutch/Trib/Walker/ were off.. Garrett Wilson & Drake London were the only receivers off the board/   

I'm shocked anyone is giving him first round hype.  I watched 3 games of his and it reminded me of Patrick Jones from Pitt last year, who a few people were high on and I tagged a day 3 grade.    Great physical attributes and strength, almost zero NFL level burst, bend and technique.  

I think we can do some business at DT at pick 44...that edge class maybe very well picked apart by pick 44 ? leftovers of maybe Mafe/Cam Thomas or A.Ebiketie might be left? re-up Clowney imo 

I hear ya on Jermaine Johnson ! He is also thankful for no wonderlic scores ;)

edit---don't mind this.. knowing Bell nor Parham might not be there.. room to might take a TE

Leal & Ebiketie were also available

• CLE
    Devonte Wyatt
    DT Georgia

• CLE
    Kingsley Enagbare
    EDGE South Carolina

• CLE
    Nick Cross
    S Maryland

• CLE
    David Bell
    WR Purdue

• CLE
    Neil Farrell Jr.
    DT LSU

• CLE
    Matt Araiza
    P San Diego State

• CLE
    Dylan Parham
    OG Memphis

Round 2....DE's just don't last to pick #44

Covey a UDFA? Nah !

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, gumby73 said:

I think we can do some business at DT at pick 44...that edge class maybe very well picked apart by pick 44 ? leftovers of maybe Mafe/Cam Thomas or A.Ebiketie might be left? re-up Clowney imo 

edit---don't mind this.. knowing Bell nor Parham might not be there.. room to might take a TE

• CLE
    Devonte Wyatt
    DT Georgia

• CLE
    Kingsley Enagbare
    EDGE South Carolina

• CLE
    Nick Cross
    S Maryland

• CLE
    David Bell
    WR Purdue

• CLE
    Neil Farrell Jr.
    DT LSU

• CLE
    Matt Araiza
    P San Diego State

• CLE
    Dylan Parham
    OG Memphis

Lets hope your pick at 118 ends up getting a ring :)

18 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Jones and Farrell from LSU are the one's on my list at the moment for those mid-to-late producers.

What this team needs, especially if you want an infusion of young talent with high midround return value, is just that...  more midround picks.    They need to secure draft capital in some way in order to help address needs on this team that are looking emergency-ish.   Which is why I never ruled out them moving Kareem for pick(s).    The RB ROOM will still thrive without Hunt, but will we survive on the IDL without young picks who can rill their roles early? Not likely.

In that case, WR and IDL get my priority when feuding over 3rd-5th round picks.   Then a nod to C & RT.  Followed up by S and possibly LB.

Eggsactly!   Healthy Draft = Healthy Cap.  IMO, the FO needs to start hitting on more of the mid-round guys especially given the loss of 1st round picks for a little while.  For example, DTs Jordan Elliott rd 3 and Tommy Togiai rd 4; LBs Jacob Phillips rd 3, Tony Fields rd 5 and Mack Wilson rd 5 (gone); WR Anthony Schwartz in rd 3; S Sheldrick Redwine rd 4 (gone); TE Harrison Bryant rd 4; OT James Hudson III rd 4; C Nick Harris rd 5. These examples are all in positions we're still listing as needs in this thread. 

RB is a great opportunity for us to trade if someone is willing to take on Hunt's salary.  The challenge with making this happen is that teams feel like they can get equitable RB talent for less money in the draft.  When you get right down to it, Hunt was a 3rd round draft pick for KC as was Alvin Kamara for the Saints.  

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Flugel said:

RB is a great opportunity for us to trade if someone is willing to take on Hunt's salary.  The challenge with making this happen is that teams feel like they can get equitable RB talent for less money in the draft.  

Hunt's salary isn't very bad for a RB at all, so that shouldn't really be an unattractive option.   And while I agree that teams can find and committ to a running game with mid to late round picks, it's surprising how many coaching staffs still can't seem to grasp that concept.  For every Kyle Shanahan who will take an UDFA and turn him into a 1000 yard back, you have a coaching staff like McDermott in Buffalo that can't field a running game to feature along with Josh Allen.    Which blows my mind.  

17 hours ago, gumby73 said:

• CLE
    Devonte Wyatt
    DT Georgia

• CLE
    Kingsley Enagbare
    EDGE South Carolina

• CLE
    Nick Cross
    S Maryland

• CLE
    David Bell
    WR Purdue

• CLE
    Neil Farrell Jr.
    DT LSU

• CLE
    Matt Araiza
    P San Diego State

• CLE
    Dylan Parham
    OG Memphis

Using my early thoughts on Cross and Neil?  Well, shucks, I'm flattered. 

37 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Using my early thoughts on Cross and Neil?  Well, shucks, I'm flattered. 

Nick Cross i can't pass on with MJ Stew gone to Houston (he don't fall to the 4th)... I've created myself a local tossup between Neil & a local kid I watched play at Gardner HS in Raleigh.. Tennessee's DT Matthew Butler... I also put on some tape of a Sylvania, Ohio kid that played Center at Kentucky.. Luke Fortner..Kid is a huge Joe Thomas fan & put on some decent film at the Senior Bowl week.. Some of these sims have them all grouped together in same round 

• Thanks 1

On 3/26/2022 at 2:32 PM, Flugel said:

Well said Bob! 

FWIW, I think they can draft a good sized Safety to play that role if he's got good instincts).  A lot of people forget the Bears MLB/ILB Brian Urlacher was actually a Safety at New Mexico State so he had great instincts beating quick receivers to an inside hook zone.  I'm sure there's other kids today that can transition from Safety to Walker's role in this defense.  A guy like Polamalu (Polyneedsahaircut) in Pittsburgh would have excelled in a role like Walker's.  

Well you just mentioned two hall of famers as likely "types" to fill that role as safety. Those guys don't grow on trees. Urlacher was famous for possessing deep speed for his size; basically unheard of. And Polamalu, he possessed sick, sick speed. All that said, and they'd have to find a guy like that in the 3rd round in the earliest? Don't see that happening.  

47 minutes ago, Icecube said:

Well you just mentioned two hall of famers as likely "types" to fill that role as safety. Those guys don't grow on trees. Urlacher was famous for possessing deep speed for his size; basically unheard of. And Polamalu, he possessed sick, sick speed. All that said, and they'd have to find a guy like that in the 3rd round in the earliest? Don't see that happening.  

No, I used 2 guys that played Safety in college that could be the types we could look for to play a coverage LB role for the Browns.  That said, good point about using 2 HOF types.  The Browns have a 2nd round pick at #44.  Devin Lloyd play WR and Safety in high school before....  switching to LBer at Utah,  Therefore, I get the sense guys like this are out there.  I'm just hoping we can find them.

I watch a lot of BigTen football during the year (not just Ohio State). Jaquan Brisker (S) PSU is one that I’ve kept an eye over the past couple seasons.  Very rangy and instinctive and he tackles well.  He ran a 4.49 which probably pushes him into the 2nd round.   And the speed is apparent on the field- I recall him chasing down Treyveon Henderson.   I was thinking 3/4 round prior to the year now I don’t see it happening. 

Another Safety I’d take over Cross. Lewis Cine Georgia. I watched the last three Georgia games with the intent of checking in on the DTs (one will not be available until 2023).  Cine stood out as a playmaking guy with tons of burst. He appears to be a 2nd round guy too and I’m not thrilled with addressing that position with our first pick. 

On 3/26/2022 at 11:24 AM, Flugel said:

Well, we signed a center. Former second rounder. Ethan Pocic agrees to terms with Browns

Here is his PFF.

pocic.thumb.PNG.789faf34cebd3501172cdce2174b3816.PNG

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

I don't recall being terribly impressed with the Hawks IOL the couple times I saw them this year.  

Another player to add to the film list.

A film breakdown would be nice. They must think he has some decent second level ability along with his versatility.

2 hours ago, Riffer X said:

A film breakdown would be nice. They must think he has some decent second level ability along with his versatility.

I thought he was a stud at LSU; but I haven't watched very many Seahawks' games since they drafted him in round 2.  I'm intrigued by this move. 

I have a weird thing for following weird stuff... 🤓

Georgia won a national championship, while losing one of their best defensive captains...

Georgia edge defender Adam Anderson holds private workout

On Tuesday night, 17 teams went to a high school near Georgia’s campus to watch pass rusher Adam Anderson workout. Anderson entered the season graded as a potential first-round pick and one of the top senior prospects in the nation.

He was off to a good start, then had his season come to an immediate halt after serious legal accusations came to light.

Anderson measured 6’4″, 237 pounds, and timed the 40 in the mid 4.5s. He also touched 39 inches in the vertical jump and 11’1″ in the broad jump. 7.03 3-cone. Anderson’s future is in a holding pattern right now. The investigation into the charges levied against Anderson is still ongoing.

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/adam-anderson-georgia-football-rape-case-nfl-draft/SINHWSZ3RZC3DKABPMQ2SPOV6E/

interested to see how this plays out..

I believe I had Jalen Tolbert, wr, S. Alabama, as my 2nd round pick. I'll be checking on him once in a while this coming season.

https://fullpresscoverage.com/2022/03/24/2022-chiefs-draft-prospect-jalen-tolbert/

On 3/26/2022 at 2:25 PM, tiamat63 said:

Holy climbing out of your lane, there, tia... Not a single DB named? 

Still I have to agree... My dream DT remains UGA's Jordan Davis... His Combine was stellar. His price is a round 1 tho and not one where we currently sit. So too pricey most likely, but ya never know who playing higher value positions zooms past Defenders as the day approaches. I've had a few prizes fall to me starting with Khalil Mack and running thru Micah Parsons. Unfortunately no GM ever called to get my input... ;) .

Moving up my DT board was TN's Mathew Butler. Undersized, but has 3-tech, rush potential to go with spot duty at DE. Couple others as well, but do not know them well enough as yet to discuss.

IOL.... eyeballing a Center... a strong one with decent feet... and an OG (BC's Zion Johnson)... Meanwhile we've signed Ethan Pocic (But on Tuesday, the Browns signed former Seattle Seahawks center Ethan Pocic.)

RT... kinda surprise Conklin is still here TBH. RT in front of an RPO QB with feet and speed is not the priority it is with a pocket passer. Add that Hubbard has surprised to the upside. Of course Hubbard's value may be even greater in a swing role.

LB... lotta 2nd tier kids outta lesser known schools including one named Muma out of Wyoming. Tested nicely at Combine, but can't recall seeing him play.

RB/WR... seem to be a number of Day 2 Candidates.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Holy climbing out of your lane, there, tia... Not a single DB named? 

Still I have to agree... My dream DT remains UGA's Jordan Davis... His Combine was stellar. His price is a round 1 tho and not one where we currently sit. So too pricey most likely, but ya never know who playing higher value positions zooms past Defenders as the day approaches. I've had a few prizes fall to me starting with Khalil Mack and running thru Micah Parsons. Unfortunately no GM ever called to get my input... ;) .

Moving up my DT board was TN's Mathew Butler. Undersized, but has 3-tech, rush potential to go with spot duty at DE. Couple others as well, but do not know them well enough as yet to discuss.

IOL.... eyeballing a Center... a strong one with decent feet... and an OG (BC's Zion Johnson)... Meanwhile we've signed Ethan Pocic (But on Tuesday, the Browns signed former Seattle Seahawks center Ethan Pocic.)

RT... kinda surprise Conklin is still here TBH. RT in front of an RPO QB with feet and speed is not the priority it is with a pocket passer. Add that Hubbard has surprised to the upside. Of course Hubbard's value may be even greater in a swing role.

LB... lotta 2nd tier kids outta lesser known schools including one named Muma out of Wyoming. Tested nicely at Combine, but can't recall seeing him play.

RB/WR... seem to be a number of Day 2 Candidates.

- I actually did a game for Nick Cross, DB - Maryland and was pleasantly surprised.  Tagged him somewhere between a 3rd and 4th round pick, depending on how position runs begin this draft.     But for right now I want to focus on positions of dire need, especially given my limited time to watch film again.

- Not the first time I've seen Butlers's name mentioned.   Don't forget, we signed Taven Bryan as a 3-tech.

- Any word on that kid from Nebraska? Center, Cam Jurgens.

- Wyoming has a recent history of putting some good players out in late round.    Logan Wilson in Cincy is an example.