THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Sign A Center

darren15

I find it funny all those years where we had a great line especially from the center to the left side but no QB aside from Baker. I think Baker did much better than anything we've had in years. Now we break the bank on a franchise QB and our line is sketchy.

Welcome to the NFL and salary cap issues.

1 minute ago, Neo said:

I find it funny all those years where we had a great line especially from the center to the left side but no QB aside from Baker. I think Baker did much better than anything we've had in years. Now we break the bank on a franchise QB and our line is sketchy.

I have Brian Hoyer on line 1...

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Neo said:

The oline isn't bad or terrible... But yeah... There are questions that need to be answered... I was not in favor of letting Tretter walk... I actually think it was a bone head move

2 hours ago, nickers said:

The oline isn't bad or terrible... But yeah... There are questions that need to be answered... I was not in favor of letting Tretter walk... I actually think it was a bone head move

There were a couple of issues with Tretter that may have helped the Browns make the move besides cap, even with him being a top 6 center for years. 

1. His Bavaroesque inability to practice each week due to his knees (with the caveat that he did play almost all the time).
  2. Being the NFLPA President didn't necessarily have the best interests for the Browns or the locker room. This has been discreetly mentioned by several sources. 

2 hours ago, Riffer X said:

There were a couple of issues with Tretter that may have helped the Browns make the move besides cap, even with him being a top 6 center for years. 

1. His Bavaroesque inability to practice each week due to his knees (with the caveat that he did play almost all the time).
  2. Being the NFLPA President didn't necessarily have the best interests for the Browns or the locker room. This has been discreetly mentioned by several sources. 

I don't know about all that... I guess the only reasonable aspect of this is yeah.. Shaky knees and he's been around awhile...

5 hours ago, Neo said:

As fans we have trouble fairly assessing two things about the NFL game.  1)playing DB with all the pro WR and QB rules in place so they can put up big numbers.  You could have a standout in the secondary and they still get beat and/or penalized.  2) the Dlineman these days are too big and too fast to block for 5+ seconds.  

I think we saw a few moments of sketchy line play last year.   Cardinals game comes to mind.  Steelers Part 2.  But by and large the problem was Baker holding onto the ball way too long and not being able to diagnose quickly enough or he would diagnose wrong all together. 

Our line is more than capable.  And You can’t line up five pro bowlers 

We’ve learned one big thing as Browns fan…All the Joe Thomas, Alex Mack, Mitchell Schwartz, Eric Steinbachs, Zeus you name it.  They were good and one is a first ballot HOF.  The extra 1.5 seconds they gave didn’t matter when our QBs were airmailing passes. 

• Upvote 1