THE BROWNS BOARD

Doug Dieken's replacement as Donovan's radio sidekick will be...

Dutch Oven

2 hours ago, nickers said:

Reggie Langhorne has great understanding and breaks down plays well.. His voice however might not be radio ready for some.

In radio, the voice is the show.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ballpeen said:

In radio, the voice is the show.

Oh yes,  just close your eyes and think about some of the best ever sports guys behind the microphone or just your favorites.   Mel Allen, Red Barber,  Herb Score, Joe Tait, Hammy and so many others. 

I used to listen to the Indians with Jimmy Dudley out in the backyard with my grandfather in the 1960s.  I've always liked radio broadcasts ever go on a long drive with the  BROWNS or INDIANS  on ?  Great memories. 

3 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Oh yes,  just close your eyes and think about some of the best ever sports guys behind the microphone or just your favorites.   Mel Allen, Red Barber,  Herb Score, Joe Tait, Hammy and so many others. 

I used to listen to the Indians with Jimmy Dudley out in the backyard with my grandfather in the 1960s.  I've always liked radio broadcasts ever go on a long drive with the  BROWNS or INDIANS  on ?  Great memories. 

No doubt. I "watched" a lot of things on my radio.  It was especially exciting when on a clear night I could sometimes pick up KMOX out of St. Louis and "watch" a Cards game, or now and then pick up WSM and hear the Grand Old Opry broadcast out of Nashville.. Like being on the front row.  For a 9 year old kid in Cleveland, that seemed like going to the other side of the world.

2 hours ago, ballpeen said:

No doubt. I "watched" a lot of things on my radio.  It was especially exciting when on a clear night I could sometimes pick up KMOX out of St. Louis and "watch" a Cards game, or now and then pick up WSM and hear the Grand Old Opry broadcast out of Nashville.. Like being on the front row.  For a 9 year old kid in Cleveland, that seemed like going to the other side of the world.

About a decade ago I was visiting my cousin out in North Jersey, and we and his family went to Brooklyn to get some pizza.

I vividly remember us driving back over the Brooklyn Bridge listening to the Indians drubbing the Orioles on WWWE 1100. I thought it was so cool to be on the Brooklyn Bridge listening to a Cleveland station. 

9 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

About a decade ago I was visiting my cousin out in North Jersey, and we and his family went to Brooklyn to get some pizza.

I vividly remember us driving back over the Brooklyn Bridge listening to the Indians drubbing the Orioles on WWWE 1100. I thought it was so cool to be on the Brooklyn Bridge listening to a Cleveland station. 

9 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

1100 punches out a long way at night since it is a clear channel station.  There are maybe 10 clear channels around the country.  They were set up back in the day so that at night, no matter where you were in the country, you could pick up one of them. Kind of like a early days emergency broadcast system.  Any stations on a frequency near them have to sign off from sundown to sunrise so their broadcast comes through clear and free of clutter.  I listen to WTAM all the time at night to listen to Indians and Cavs games.  I live in Tn. but usually catch some Wills and Snyder in the early morning.  I know what is going on with Cleveland weather and traffic before I know what is going on here in Chattanooga.  I have picked up 1100 as far south as St. Pete, Fla, but not often and pretty fuzzy at that point.

I remember listening to WKBN 570 AM out when we drove the 24 hour non-stop run from Miami/Ft. Lauderdale to Boardman Ohio in the 1969-1970s Spring Breaks.. They were on the low and clear end of the AM frequency band which was so clear especially with the skip.   (I'm an old amateur radio buff from back then.)

We generally picked them up at the FLA/GEO line and could hear them to about the Smokey Mountains.  After a few of those  I said screw it and then flew it and then got a car rental    -but-   those were memorable trips.  The first 1969 break was the best,  speed limit was 70 we went 80-85 in my buddy's new Le-Goat. It was a Lemans with the GTO guts 400 ci 330 hp Holley 4-bbl carb with the 160 mph speedometer.   -and-   an 8 track,  he pushed it up to 120 mph once in Georgia.....unreal. 

We would drive in shifts and occasionally would catch a MAR/early APR Indians game on WKBN oh yeah.   Memories. 

On 4/20/2022 at 5:01 AM, ballpeen said:

1100 punches out a long way at night since it is a clear channel station.  There are maybe 10 clear channels around the country.  They were set up back in the day so that at night, no matter where you were in the country, you could pick up one of them. Kind of like a early days emergency broadcast system.  Any stations on a frequency near them have to sign off from sundown to sunrise so their broadcast comes through clear and free of clutter.  I listen to WTAM all the time at night to listen to Indians and Cavs games.  I live in Tn. but usually catch some Wills and Snyder in the early morning.  I know what is going on with Cleveland weather and traffic before I know what is going on here in Chattanooga.  I have picked up 1100 as far south as St. Pete, Fla, but not often and pretty fuzzy at that point.

Also clear channel WLW 700 out of Cincinnati.  At night you hear truckers call in from Nebraska.  Way back, ditto that for CKLW, until the station folded.