THE BROWNS BOARD

★ The USFL Spring Football League starts this Saturday April 16, 2022....for all you football junkies !

mjp28

OK for all of you football die-hards more real football.....well sorta, and it starts Saturday April 16 on NBC, FOX and Peacock. 

This Saturday and Sunday's games, so write this all down :

USFL SCHEDULE - WEEK 1
SatSurday, April 16
Matchup Time (ET) TV/Mobile Tickets
New Jersey at Birmingham 7:30pm NBC / FOX / Peacock Buy Tickets
Sunday, April 17
Matchup Time (ET) TV/Mobile Tickets
Houston at Michigan 12:00pm NBC/Peacock Buy Tickets
Philadelphia at New Orleans 4:00pm USA Buy Tickets
Tampa Bay at Pittsburgh 8:00pm FS1 Buy Tickets

For the 2022 season, all USFL games will be played in Birmingham, Ala. Most of the games will be played at Protective Stadium, while some will be contested at Legion Field.

The USFL’s 2022 regular-season will extend through mid-June. That will be followed by playoff semifinal games in each division on Saturday, June 25 and then a championship game on Sunday July 3.  The playoff and championship games will be played at Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium in Canton,  Ohio !

Divisions and team names for the new USFL are listed below:

NORTH DIVISION

Michigan Panthers
New Jersey Generals
Philadelphia Stars
Pittsburgh Maulers

SOUTH DIVISION

Birmingham Stallions
Houston Gamblers
New Orleans Breakers
Tampa Bay Bandits

If you're interested in making a trip there to see some football here's the fee....

$30, 55, 57 - general admission.   $75, 100 - club.

So there you go...

A few more tidbits on the other professional football league,  7 of the top 9 players are QBs are any of them NFL worthy ? Even as backups,  generally a few break through into the bright lights of NFL football especially after the season progresses.. 

Unlike the NFL, player salaries are all equal in the USFL, but there are still some players who enter the league with a higher profile than others. Here’s a list of some of the most notable names for the start of the 2022 USFL season:

• Shea Patterson, QB, Michigan Panthers. #1 overall pick
  • Jordan Ta’amu, QB, Tampa Bay Bandits.  #2
  • Clayton Thorson, QB, Houston Gamblers.  #5
  • Alex McGough, QB, Birmingham Stallions.  #6
  • Kyle Lauletta, QB, Pittsburgh Maulers.   #7
  • Kyle Sloter, QB, New Orleans Breakers.   #8
  • Freedom Akinmoladun, DE, Philadelphia Stars  2/ #6
  • Isaiah Battle, OT, Pittsburgh Maulers   6/ #8..... how about that  !
  • Paxton Lynch, QB, Michigan Panthers    12/ #8....... there he is 12th round. 

A complete list of USFL draft picks can be found here. The official USFL start date kicks off Saturday, April 16. Stay tuned for more USFL news throughout the season.

Related: USFL games today: 2022 schedule, how to watch, odds, and more

Kind of a blast from the past in team names. 

The USFL season kicks off Saturday, April 16, when the New Jersey Generals take on the Birmingham Stallions at 7:30 PM ET. This matchup can be watched on NBC, Fox, and streamed on Peacock via eligible smart devices. Then on Sunday, April 17, the other six USFL teams will be in action for the first time, giving fans access to a full day of football.

~~~~~~~~~~ $ ~~~~~~~~~~

The payroll, so you want to be a professional football player huh ?  Well believe it or not the answer is yes.  It just shows you what people will do to make money playing football,  or they just love  ❤  it and no $$$$ contracts involved. 

Now as the league plans its comeback, the question that fans and players alike have is: What will the salaries look like?

Will they match the rich salaries given in the 80’s?

Will the USFL mimic the $7.5 million dollar contract given to Doug Flutie back in 1985 to lure top talent away from the NFL?

The short answer is no. 

USFL players will begin receiving payments during training camp followed by an average salary of around $45k for a 10-week season.

According to USFL News players will make an average of $45k for the season not including the teams $600 a week pre-season. Practice squad players will earn about $15K on average for the season. The USFL also promises victory bonuses rumored to be $850 a player.

Per multiple player sources, USFL player contract details are as follows:
Training Camp: $600 per week
Practice Squad: $1500 per week
Active Roster: $4500 per week -Plus Victory bonuses 

And finally from me, 45 man rosters, a whole slew of assistant coaches and position coaches  many are retired players and the head coaches:

Teams

North Division 

• Michigan Panthers (coach Jeff Fisher)
  • New Jersey Generals (coach Mike Riley) 
  • Philadelphia Stars (coach Bart Andrus)
  • Pittsburgh Maulers (coach Kirby Wilson)

South Division 

• Birmingham Stallions (coach Skip Holtz)
  • Houston Gamblers (coach Kevin Sumlin)
  • New Orleans Breakers (coach Larry Fedora)
  • Tampa Bay Bandits (coach Todd Haley)

Oh and is anyone here planning on watching the USFL ?

A. YES a lot.

B. Some each week.

C. Wait and see 

D. A little maybe. 

E. NO !

The first overall draft pick and first defensive draft pick were both from Michigan... we could have the first draft pick in both drafts this year  :)

I'm torn between rooting for the Panthers and rooting for the Maulers. But I'm just excited to see some football either way

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

The first overall draft pick and first defensive draft pick were both from Michigan... we could have the first draft pick in both drafts this year  :)

so the first 2 losers who were drafted in a league that will be gone by summer are from michigan well thats something to hang your hat on

24 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

I'm torn between rooting for the Panthers and rooting for the Maulers. But I'm just excited to see some football either way

Pittsburgh Maulers,  I remember the first year Pittsburgh got the Gladiators in Arena 2? ball.  A guy I worked with  from Wheatland, PA bought season tickets and a bunch of other merchandise and souvenirs.   Well the team and league folded but he said he enjoyed the experience    -and-   neat heirloom souvenirs. 

If I were up to it I'd make the 60+ mile trip to Pittsburgh......oh wait they are playing in Alabama,  nevermind. 

I will be checking out the USFL, at least at first. 

Last Sunday my 6 yr old grandson (kindergarten) played in his first ever flag football game.  When it came his turn to be lined up in the backfield it was 1st down (they only get 4 downs).  I made sure the iphone was on video.  He took the handoff, took a step to the right, but the D was there, he continued turning right, reversing his field, around his own guys and turned it upfield along the sideline, he could-go-all-the-way!!!     Touchdown!   Length of the field.  Man-O-Man.  God couldn't have scripted it any better.  I put the video on FB....I watch the video multiple times a day.  :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

OK for us football starved fans waiting for some action.....of any kind !  Football at 7:30 tonight and at 12, 4, 8 Sunday.   Reminds us of the good ol' USFL days way back when.  Even if Trump called them  " small potatoes "  like our little potato duckies.

Saturday, April 16, 2022

Saturday, April 16, 2022 7:30 PM
New Jersey (0-0) --
Birmingham (0-0) --
Last Meeting: Not available

20220311_180601-1.jpg

• Haha 1

Another nice TD catch.    And from my alumni......

.... Two former YSU football players will be a part of the newly formed United States Football League this season.

With the first pick in Round 7 of the USFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Maulers selected former Youngstown State lineman Charles Baldwin.

In Round 10, the New Jersey Generals drafted former Penguins’ cornerback David Rivers......

7 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

Laser and Blazer should play Assault at halftime..

Yes back around 1987 Pittsburgh did get the Gladiators in Arena ball iat the old Civic Arena. 

Pittsburgh Gladiators (1987–90)Edit

When arena football was first announced in 1986, Jim Foster targeted Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania for an inaugural franchise due to the great football tradition of the area. The franchise was originally known as the Pittsburgh Gladiators, and was one of the original four AFL teams formed in 1987. The team was named by Robert Ninehouser whose entry for the team name was selected in 1987. They originally played their home games at the Pittsburgh Civic Arena in Pittsburgh. On June 19, 1987, the Gladiators defeated the Washington Commandos 48–46 in the first ever AFL regular season game. The Gladiators participated in ArenaBowls I nd III, losing both.

SUN NOON GAME.....Michigan QB Patterson bobbles the ball in scoring position.....ooops.....scoop and score.  HOU 11-0 in the 2nd quarter. 

Paxton Lynch at QB now.

From Yahoo Sports on the Saturday USFL TV viewership numbers,  3 million, hmmm......

.......Now, that 3 million number has a lot to do with the game being simulcast on two network channels — Fox and NBC. Whatever these behemoths put on is going to draw a rating. It’s no different than putting a movie in 200 theaters; it’s going to sell tickets even if it’s as unwatchable as The Addams Family 2 (which I’ve seen because, ya know, the kids).

That said, the USFL did have competition in the form of the NBA playoffs, plus a full slate of baseball and hockey. So … there were options and 3 million chose football.

I want to hear why.

This isn’t the Donald Trump USFL, with Heisman Trophy winners and first-round NFL draft picks dotting rosters. This is Luis Perez (Texas A&M–Commerce) throwing to Randy Satterfield (Lyon College).

We’ll see what the ratings are for Sunday’s games, which didn’t get the benefit of a primetime slot on two networks. And we’ll see how many of those 3 million stick around next weekend as the curiosity begins to wear off.......

Last nights postponed game drew less than 6 man football does in Texas in terms of numbers in the stands. Very near empty. I thought the kickoff was just pre-game warmup until the placed they ball down for the 1st play from the LOS.

Hey a USFL game is on tonight,  Michigan versus the NJ Generals......but I may catch some Guardians in NY, NY.  0-0 bottom 3rd.

5 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Hey a USFL game is on tonight,  Michigan versus the NJ Generals......but I may catch some Guardians in NY, NY.  0-0 bottom 3rd.

Talk about a snoozer Friday night USFL  10-6 final ?  Uh-oh........  -_- 

The New Jersey Generals won the first edition of “The Northern Duel,” defeating the Michigan Panthers, 10-6, at Protective Stadium in Birmingham, Alabama on Friday night.

After a Generals field goal in the first quarter, the Panthers were able to capitalize on an interception, scoring six to take the lead early in the second. New Jersey responded with a touchdown drive of their own, leading 10-6 at the half. Running back Darius Victor scored that touchdown for the Generals, his first of the season. He led the team in rushing with 40 yards on 11 carries.

The second half was scoreless with both teams making unsuccessful field goal attempts. Michigan quarterback Shea Patterson led a late game surge, converting on fourth-and-20 to give the Panthers a last shot at the end zone. The Generals’ pass rush shut Patterson down, sealing the win for New Jersey, their first of the season......

Will the USFL last ?  Does anyone really care ?  Having all of the games in a city of 200,000 is not a good idea. Opening Day 40,000 tickets  " sold" but maybe 17,500 showed up.  Numbers went way down after that. 

Also TV viewership  is another thing quickly from 3M to less than 1M ?  Will it last ?

......After pulling in 3 million viewers for the kickoff game of the USFL season, things tailed off in the next two days. With a matchup between the Philadelphia Stars and New Orleans Breakers being broadcasted on USA Network, viewership dipped significantly. According to ShowBuzzDaily.com, viewership for the Sunday matchup averaged 771,000 viewers with a 0.18 rating. On a positive note, the broadcasted fared better than ESPN’s SportsCenter Weekend (604,000).

Due to weather conditions, a Sunday matchup between the Tampa Bay Bandits and Pittsburgh Maulers on Fox Sports 1 averaged 268,000 viewers with a 0.06 rating in the 7 PM slot. The postponement and a lack of awareness for the Monday night game certainly impacted the USFL TV ratings.......

• 2 weeks later...

I watched them some in week 1, almost zero in week 2.......and zero since thenl..  Especially when the NFL Draft was in the in the USFL Week 3  -but- their TV ratings were up from Week 2.

--->   ¿ Anyone here watching the USFL ?

USFL TV Ratings For Week 3 Show Surprising Strength, Give League Reason For Optimism .... May 3.  

Douglas Charles BroBible.

• The USFL TV ratings for Week 3 of the new football league’s inaugural season are out and they’re not bad.
  • Especially when taking into consideration the competition for viewers posed by the NFL Draft and other sports.
  • Read more news about the USFL here.

As is the case with any new football league, the TV ratings for the USFL fell off dramatically from Week 1 to Week 2.

While this was certainly some cause for concern, the Week 3 TV ratings for the USFL were almost equally as encouraging.

In Week 1, the USFL averaged more than 1.5 million viewers for the four games played in Birmingham. In Week 2, the USFL’s four games averaged just 661,000 viewers, or a 57% drop from the Week 1 viewership numbers.

However, in Week 3, with the NFL Draft staring the USFL right in the face, the fledgling football league was able to actually improve its numbers.

According to Sports TV Ratings on Twitter, the USFL had an average audience of 825,000 viewers for the four games played on Saturday and Sunday.

In fact, the Saturday night game between the hometown Birmingham Stallions and New Orleans Breakers had an average viewership of 1.114 million.

By comparison, Sports Business Journal states that the USFL’s Week 3 TV ratings are “are on par with Sunday Night Baseball, the Premier League and UFC.”

TV ratings in Week 3 for the USFL rebounded well from Week 2

This is good news for the league’s future, according to Mike Mulvihill, Fox Sports’ executive vice president, head of strategy and analytics.

“The USFL has to establish that it belongs in the same category as sports that have been part of the spring calendar for many years,” Mulvihill told Sports Business Journal. “It’s all about trying to prove that the USFL is in the same class as sports that are going out there and double or tripling their rights deals.”

On the face of it, he’s not wrong. Formula 1, one of the USFL’s competitors for viewership in the spring, is seeking $75 million per year for the rights to its broadcasts and the April 24 race averaged 1.003 million viewers on ESPN – numbers very similar to some USFL games thus far.

Also, NBC paid $450 million per year for the rights to broadcast the Premier League and on April 23 they averaged 631,000 viewers – again similar to the USFL.

If the USFL can maintain its viewership numbers for balance of the 10 game schedule then there is certainly hope it will avoid the fates of the Alliance of American Football and the second iteration of the XFL and actually make it to year two.

On the face of it, he’s not wrong. Formula 1, one of the USFL’s competitors for viewership in the spring, is seeking $75 million per year for the rights to its broadcasts and the April 24 race averaged 1.003 million viewers on ESPN – numbers very similar to some USFL games thus far.

Also, NBC paid $450 million per year for the rights to broadcast the Premier League and on April 23 they averaged 631,000 viewers – again similar to the USFL.

If the USFL can maintain its viewership numbers for balance of the 10 game schedule then there is certainly hope it will avoid the fates of the Alliance of American Football and the second iteration of the XFL and actually make it to year two.

2 USFL sack leaders..

Both play Clowney's Edge..

Odom's Dad played in Cleveland.. Odom has another sack today, a FF, with a blocked FG..

PLAYERS                                       GP SOLO AST TCKL SCK  YDS INT INTTD YDS LNG FF REC TD PDEF HUR SFTY
3     11     2     13 4.5     36 0      0        0    0 2     0    0    0    0.0 0

3     6     4     10 4.5     26 0      0        0    0 0     0    0    0   0.0 0

both playing head to head on national broadcast... Houst. up 13 -10 just before half

I've looked in on a couple games and the quality was higher than I was expecting, but then it's all concentrated in the skill positions (offense especially) and without stronger DL Offenses will more or less have their way.

Caught Shea Patterson last nite. Kid has a shot to be good at least at the USFL level.

Still weird to see all the recycled team names.