THE BROWNS BOARD

Agree? Or Not

Axe

I agree whole heartedly..

From 1440 news.

Disney District Ditched

Florida lawmakers approved yesterday a bill that would dissolve a special tax district, which allows The Walt Disney Co. to effectively govern the land hosting its theme parks outside Orlando. The move came after the company publicly criticized a recently passed bill limiting instruction of sexual orientation and gender identity in kindergarten through third grade, among other provisions (see overview). 

The Reedy Creek Improvement District, established in 1967, allows Disney to have near full control over its land use, regulations, codes, and more, while the company operates municipal services within the district. Its dissolution would likely shift the district's debts and obligations to neighboring Orange and Osceola counties. Disney employs roughly 80,000 workers in the state, with tourism to its parks generating an estimated $5.8B annually. 

The legislation now heads to Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) for signature. The law would take effect—and the district dissolved—June 1 of next year.

18 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Conservatives sure love their regulations and big government...

Wait

Conservatives sure love sanctioning the free speech of companies...

Wait

Wait

I don't see any sanctioning.

I don't see any faltering on the big government side either? Now they get to play by the same rules as everyone else. I know you don't like that...

WSS

43 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Wait

I don't see any sanctioning.

I don't see any faltering on the big government side either? Now they get to play by the same rules as everyone else. I know you don't like that...

WSS

Oh, I'm fine with people/companies playing by the same rules

But to get there because some conservatives were triggered by the existence of LGBTQ individuals... Leading to essentially more sanctions for a company from the government... Is pretty damn ironic 

I'm not going to worry about going back and forth in here. Just pointing out the irony

Nothing new though. Limited govt and free speech protections only work for the things the right likes, otherwise, that's out the door. Shallow ideologies...

17 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

But to get there because some conservatives were triggered by the existence of LGBTQ individuals... Leading to essentially more sanctions for a company from the government... Is pretty damn ironic 

I'm not going to worry about going back and forth in here. Just pointing out the irony

Nothing new though. Limited govt and free speech protections only work for the things the right likes, otherwise, that's out the door. Shallow ideologies...

No I doubt you'd feel the same way if they espoused the teachings of Jesus, or being not supportive of abortion or sex before marriage...

(I'm just kidding.)

WSS

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

Published April 22, 2022 3:46pm EDT

DeSantis signs bill stripping Disney of self governing status

Disney held the self governing status for more than 50 years

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/desantis-signs-bill-stripping-disney-self-governing-status

4 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Limited government and free speech protections not for the things that the right likes, but for things that apply. It's been like that forever.

A function of government is to collect taxes.