THE BROWNS BOARD

Time to cut and run

Solon16

Who is with me? We are a much better offense with him gone. He is good on screens when he is in open fiels...that's about it! I truly can't stand to watch this over the hill running back carry the ball for the Cleveland Browns anymore...another Savage casualty, for me! He just doesn't have it anymore!

Solon, you can't cut the guy! He has been a great influence on the younger backs as far as how he approaches the game, practice, etc. He is also a special mentor to Davis because they both went to the same H.S. in Atlanta.

Lewis also has one thing no other back has in Cleveland, a history of 1,000 yard seasons.

I know he isn't the same back as he was 5 years ago but you gotta keep him around at least for this year to have some stability at the position because we truly don't know yet what we have behind him because those guys haven't played much against NFL starters.

Guest Masters
His '09 salary is guaranteed, so you'd essentially be paying him not to play.

Not to mention it would give CLE a bad name amoung vets to cut a guy like Lewis this late in the game.

Who is with me? We are a much better offense with him gone. He is good on screens when he is in open fiels...that's about it! I truly can't stand to watch this over the hill running back carry the ball for the Cleveland Browns anymore...another Savage casualty, for me! He just doesn't have it anymore!

Fans tend to be the biggest reactionaries, but this one takes the cake.

Albeit promising, our 6th round RB selection has a flashy preseason and what do you propose? Cut and run on someone who knows our system and continues to be a veteran presence/mentor in his last season as a Brown.

Get real...

Please.......

Knows the system? he is as new in this system as anyone....Dude is a Raven and always will be...has 1 good year here as a brown and was a contract year. Lewis BLOWS! there will be a handful of guys cut this week that will be better than him. So by your logic no one will want to play for seattle for cutting TJ duckett and previously Shaun Alexander(former MVP)...lol , Az for cutting Edge, Giants for cutting amani toomer....just silly...Jamal is a washout. lucky to get 800 yards this year...and that will be with 400 rush attempts! Cut him! Not saying we will beaners....saying we should!!!

Adam Caplan wondering about the possibility too:

http://profootball.scout.com/2/895243.html

Running Back

Jamal Lewis/Cleveland Browns - There's been a lot of buzz from rookie sixth-round pick, James Davis, from his solid training camp and preseason game performances. So much so that there's been speculation that Lewis could be released over the weekend.

As a league source points out, the team already paid Lewis a roster bonus of $3.5 million back in March, so would they really want to cut him after paying him that money? The source also points out that Lewis has per game roster bonuses if he's on the 53-man roster this season that total $500,000. He carries a base salary of $2.4 million.

Tough call here. They have a rookie in Davis who they really like. A scouting source said had he not posted slow 40-yard dash times of 4.60 and 4.61 during the NFL Scouting Combine earlier this year, Davis would have gone off the board much higher in the draft.

While there's a better chance that Lewis stays than gets released, it certainly wouldn't be a shock if the 30-yard old back is a goner come Saturday

Guest Masters
No way. I'd love to have several good backs in there. Lewis still has a lot left, he gets better in the later part of the game. Need a vet to teach them young-uns.

Actually Lewis's stats last year would tell you that he gets worse in the later part of the game, not better. At least come 4th QTR.

Situation G Rush Yds Avg

1st Quarter 16 86 326 3.8

2nd Quarter 16 63 203 3.2

3rd Quarter 16 75 319 4.3

4th Quarter 12 55 154 2.8

Guest Masters
last year, we were mostly heavily down in the 4th quarter, so Lewis has no reason to try and run, that's my logic for that 4th qtr 2.8ypc stat.

what were his 2007 stats?

Here are 07's

G ATT Yds Avg

1st Quarter 15 85 297 3.5

2nd Quarter 14 62 327 5.3

3rd Quarter 14 77 323 4.2

4th Quarter 13 71 349 4.9

20 more attempts in 2007 come 4th QTR, but that's not enough for the swing in average. But obviously CLE had a lot of problems last year on the OL, at QB, and pretty much in general.

You're out of your mind. He is THE perfect RB at this point to both mentor the young guys and not make a huge deal splitting carries. The guy is all heart and a TEAM player that's very well respected

Plus he is paid. He will have games where your are glad we kept him. He most likely knows we are going young and knows where he stands. He is perfect.

Not your best idea Solon.

Best quarter by year for JL (rank of 4th Q in parenth)

2000 2nd Q (2nd best)

2002 2nd-4th Q all equal

2003 3rd Q (3rd best)

2004 4th Q

2005 4th Q

2006 3rd Q (4th best)

2007 2nd Q (2nd best)

2008 3rd Q (4th best)

From this, I would say that the 3rd Q is his best...with the 4th being about his 3rd best quarter. He definitely is NOT a first Q running back.

Well it looks like Mangini is NOT with you.. saw this small article today.. From Manigini's mouth. I am with the coach on this one..Jamal will be just fine this year.. if not.. THEN you look to someone else.. he has hardly touched the ball this year.. and he is the kind of back that gets better with more and more carries as the game goes on..he is good at wearing down a defense... however, Don't expect much vs the vikings..no one runs on them.

James Davis, RB, Cleveland Browns Friday 9/4, 2:05 PM CT

Browns coach Eric Mangini said on Friday that rookie running back James Davis is not yet a threat to Jamal Lewis' starting job, according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Our View: Davis rushed for a robust 186 yards on 24 carries ( 7.8 yards per carry) this preseason, while Lewis looked even older and slower than the back that averaged just 3.6 yards per carry last season. It's possible the veteran Lewis could keep his starting job all season, but it's not looking likely at this point.

If James Davs was going to overtake Lewis than Mangini would have (or should have) planned for it my sticking the rock in JD's belly twice as much as he did, and against the 1's. He didn't so JD will have to take it over the course of the season. He didn't get enough carries to take the job and I think because of that Mangini's plan all along was to start Lewis and give JD a chance to make his move.

Pit and Bal make a lot of backs look shitty so no need to put "starter pressure" on this kid so fast and have him lose confidence against Min, Pit, Bal ect......

A perfect world is Lewis and Davis trading carries and 1-2 punching teams with Harrison the clean up hitter on 3rd down.

You're out of your mind. He is THE perfect RB at this point to both mentor the young guys and not make a huge deal splitting carries. The guy is all heart and a TEAM player that's very well respected

Plus he is paid. He will have games where your are glad we kept him. He most likely knows we are going young and knows where he stands. He is perfect.

Not your best idea Solon.

Out of my mind...Not. Lewis sucks!

Archived