THE BROWNS BOARD

Time to cut and run

Solon16

He's made Schefter's big name bubble list.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...jamal_lewi.html

Rumors persist that Jamal Lewis might be cut by Browns

by

Friday September 04, 2009, 5:18 PM

Could Browns running back Jamal Lewis be cut Saturday when the Browns trim their roster to 53?

League sources said rumblings began a couple of days ago that Lewis, who turned 30 last week, could be one of the dozen players the Browns let go, and espn.com's Adam Schefter Friday put Lewis at the top of his list of big-name players on the bubble. Nationalfootballpost.com's Mike Lombardi also speculated Lewis will be cut.

Question is, would the Browns release a player after giving him a $3.5 million roster bonus in March? Would they put the ball in the hands of rookie running back James Davis? And what about Jerome Harrison, still recovering from a left knee injury?

"Nobody has told us anything about Jamal," said his agent Mitch Frankel. "We've had no conversations with the Browns about him and no one has told Jamal anything."

Frankel admitted he'd be surprised if the Browns part with the 10th-year pro.

"Jamal is a great asset to that team," he said. "But anything can happen in the NFL."

Frankel said Lewis, who's also heard the speculation, is taking it one day at a time.

"We'll wait and see like everyone else," he said.

Lewis, coming back from off-season ankle surgery, averaged 2.6 yards per carry on his 24 preseason carries with a long gain of 11. He hinted during an interview on his birthday (Aug. 26) that he wasn't going all out yet. However, his protege, Davis, averaged 7.8 yards per carry and scored on an 81-yard burst against the Lions, although many of those yards came against backups.

After Thursday night's game in Chicago, during which Lewis and the rest of the starters were idle, Lewis praised the young back, who picked up a blitz on a touchdown pass and blocked well on Gerard Lawson's 55-yard kickoff return.

"I've known him for a long time and to see him come out here and do a good job and take things in the way he has and handle things like a real professional, that's a great deal," said Lewis, who attended the same high school as Davis in Atlanta. "He runs good and he looks good and he's going to be a great back."

He's also spent much of the off-season mentoring his apparent successor.

"Whatever I know, I try to give to him and he takes it and adds to it everything else that he has and makes it special," said Lewis, who rushed for 1,304 yards in 2007. "I try to let him know everything I did wrong and how to make it right."

Lewis, who became the 24th back in NFL history last season to reach 10,000 yards, was also looking forward to sharing reps with the rookie.

"When they brought him here I was like 'that's cool' because I remember him from high school, so being able to be in the same backfield with him and practices and the same meeting rooms, and actually share my experiences with him, it's a good deal," said Lewis. "I had a Priest Holmes (as a mentor) when I came in the league and I try to pass the same things down."

If the Browns cut Lewis, that would mean they paid him $10 million for the 1,002-yard season he had in 2008. Signed to a three-year extension by Phil Savage in 2008, Lewis made $6.5 million in 2008, including bonuses, and then the $3.5 million roster bonus in 2009.

Would it be wise to cut him after that kind of investment? His base salary for 2009 is $2.4 million, which he would not get if released.

"Eric Mangini and George Kokinis are running the team and they can do whatever they want," Frankel said of the Browns coach and GM.

If it does happen, the Browns would potentially have at least $19 million on the books this season for players who are either gone, on the bench, or coming off it. Derek Anderson, who could be the backup quarterback, received a $5 million roster bonus in April. Corey Williams, who's playing behind Robaire Smith at right end, received a $6 million bonus. Receiver Donte' Stallworth, who's suspended for the season, received a $4.5 million bonus, and Lewis, $3.5 million.

Deadline for final cuts is 6 p.m. Saturday.

Others on the bubble: Rookie receiver Jordan Norwood, who showed promise early in camp, dropped a potential touchdown pass in Chicago and could be headed for the practice squad. . . . Second-year tight end Martin Rucker hopes to get the nod over free agent tight end Aaron Walker. "(Saturday) comes with some butterflies, but I feel I had a good camp and worked as hard as I could," Rucker said. . . . Running back Noah Herron suffered what appeared to be a stinger and sat out most of the Chicago game, but could make the team if Lewis doesn't. . . . Linebacker Beau Bell, the Browns' fourth-round pick in 2008, might not make the team. . . . Receiver Paul Hubbard could be headed back to the practice squad. So could second-year receiver Lance Leggette. . . . Linebacker Leon Williams could get beaten out by rookie free agent Marcus Benard.

Sucks? Really? Most here have agreed he should give way to another starter and hopefully that guy is on this roster. But sucks? Maybe he is downgraded from starter to serviceable, but sucks seems a tad strong.

Desert, i respect your opinion but Lewis is finished in my mind and I said that last year. Tippy toeing and stutter steps drive me MAD! I'm so sick of watchin him gain two yards every play I's sicken...time to move on!

I think it's a bad move to cut Jamal. Trim his carries, use him for goal line situations & short yardage.

Sick of seeing him gain 2 yds every rush? I, for one, won't be when it's 3rd or 4th and one.

I agree. Teams pay very good money for the bruising short yardage back. If the Browns cut him, Pittsburgh is sure to call seeing him as the beefy inside runner they lost when Bettis retired.

He needs limited carries to maximize his health. He'll never be what he was but we don't need him to be. Right now, he's a willing professional and a willing mentor to Harrison and Davis. After getting rid of knuckleheads like Winslow and Smith, you don't want to shoot yourself by ridding yourself of a quality guy who can still fill a role on your team. Personally, I think if you cut a guy like Lewis you risk losing the lockerroom from day one.

I agree. Teams pay very good money for the bruising short yardage back. If the Browns cut him, Pittsburgh is sure to call seeing him as the beefy inside runner they lost when Bettis retired.

He needs limited carries to maximize his health. He'll never be what he was but we don't need him to be. Right now, he's a willing professional and a willing mentor to Harrison and Davis. After getting rid of knuckleheads like Winslow and Smith, you don't want to shoot yourself by ridding yourself of a quality guy who can still fill a role on your team. Personally, I think if you cut a guy like Lewis you risk losing the lockerroom from day one.

That's pure BS...too say we'd lose the locker room is silly, to say he's a bruising back is silly, to say Pitt would call is silly////i for one don't think he's any good any longer...C ya! Barber in Dallas is a bruiser, Jacobs for the giants is a bruiser, stephen Jackson is a bruiser....JL is NOT a bruiser...

That's pure BS...too say we'd lose the locker room is silly, to say he's a bruising back is silly, to say Pitt would call is silly////i for one don't think he's any good any longer...C ya! Barber in Dallas is a bruiser, Jacobs for the giants is a bruiser, stephen Jackson is a bruiser....JL is NOT a bruiser...

Don't sugar coat it Solon....please tell me how you really feel. ;-)

Please call Pat Kirwan and tell him he's silly because he said the same thing and I happen to respect his opinion. He's an inside runner who'll definitely find work if we cut him. That isn't a reason NOT to cut him but as I look at the Browns, I think there's a dramatic lack of leadership and the coach feels the same way. It would be a mild shock if it happened. I don't personally think he's a starter but I don't think he needs cutting either.

... They have a rookie in Davis who they really like. A scouting source said had he not posted slow 40-yard dash times of 4.60 and 4.61 during the NFL Scouting Combine earlier this year, Davis would have gone off the board much higher in the draft...

Doerschuk says he has 4.3 speed. All doesn't really matter as we're into the regular season now and on the field play is king.

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The_Trenc...stest_browns_rb

Who is with me? We are a much better offense with him gone. He is good on screens when he is in open fiels...that's about it! I truly can't stand to watch this over the hill running back carry the ball for the Cleveland Browns anymore...another Savage casualty, for me! He just doesn't have it anymore!

Dont agree - over the hill? :huh: glad you arent in charge....

Eric will give JL allot of the carries in the first couple games and slowly bring in Davis. But I think even from his words, he is only here to groom the young guy. They paid him, they will see if he improves during the first few games, but you will see the carries go 50/50 pretty quick.

If he is basically a coach for the young guys, great.. if he is a head case, he will be gone.

• 3 months later...

Archived