THE BROWNS BOARD

Blast from the past: Detailing how the Cleveland mayor kept the Browns name in Cleveland

Unsympathetic

Wow, it doesn't take long for all of this to come roaring back.......

......"Mr. Tagliabue, I'm here to tell you we're not gonna take it lying down," White said.

"There's gonna be a fight. And there's gonna be a lot of blood on the floor. I cannot tell you who's gonna win. But I can tell you when it's over, you're going to know you've been in a fight.".......

.......A day before the meeting, White was ruffled by comments from some of Modell's cronies around the league.

One whose voice rang loudly was Carmen Policy, president of the reigning Super Bowl champion San Francisco 49ers. The former Youngstown criminal defense attorney was one of Tagliabue's closest confidants.......

24 minutes ago, nickers said:

Gawd I miss the Pete Rozelle days.... 

The glory years of NFL football.  

Moving the BROWNS was a terrible move in NFL football. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

I think my quite Fannie Lewis and others have to bear some of the responsibility for the Browns leaving Cleveland in the first place. I understand it's politically astute to buck the millionaires in favor of the people and try to block money for a new stadium but...

WSS

Yes, but remember the city asked Art to join in on the Gateway Project & he refused. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, syd said:

after the move i still remember super bowls still had the browns flag waving above the stadium with the rest

Right up intill the entry draft and the 1999 season then the slow reality how bad this team was set up without the extra perks that JAX and CAR had   -plus-   the beginning of the coaching and quarterback carousel was just starting. .

Not a pleasant ride at all.

4 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Right up intill the entry draft and the 1999 season then the slow reality how bad this team was set up without the extra perks that JAX and CAR had   -plus-   the beginning of the coaching and quarterback carousel was just starting. .

Not a pleasant ride at all.

to bad they didnt take the ditka trade

On 4/27/2022 at 12:17 PM, Westside Steve said:

I think my quite Fannie Lewis and others have to bear some of the responsibility for the Browns leaving Cleveland in the first place. I understand it's politically astute to buck the millionaires in favor of the people and try to block money for a new stadium but...

WSS

Steve, there's really no sense rehashing this for about the millionth time....  Fact is... Art was damn near broke, and besides a new stadium, Cleveland was in no position to give Art a $40 million bribe on top of that to stick around. That involved both city (Baltimore) and state (Maryland)  moolah.   

It's been well documented Art nixed being part of Gateway, and once the Tribe mover to nicer digs, Modell shot himself in the foot hanging on to an outdated stadium. That he finally had to sell out to Biscotti to avoid foreclosure on his ever increasing roll over loans is nothing short of Divine Justice. Wanted to leave the team to his cigar chomping kid... in the end, he got what he deserved. Browns fans pissing on his grave. Said way back, his family should have had him cremated.  :)  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

Steve, there's really no sense rehashing this for about the millionth time....  Fact is... Art was damn near broke, and besides a new stadium, Cleveland was in no position to give Art a $40 million bribe on top of that to stick around. That involved both city (Baltimore) and state (Maryland)  moolah.   

It's been well documented Art nixed being part of Gateway, and once the Tribe mover to nicer digs, Modell shot himself in the foot hanging on to an outdated stadium. That he finally had to sell out to Biscotti to avoid foreclosure on his ever increasing roll over loans is nothing short of Divine Justice. Wanted to leave the team to his cigar chomping kid... in the end, he got what he deserved. Browns fans pissing on his grave. Said way back, his family should have had him cremated.  :)  

Somebody brought it up I responded simple as that. And you're right no point rehashing. But it does underscore another point. Those of you who keep repeating over and over it's a business it's a business... well, it's not a business to us. Or some of us.

WSS

• Upvote 1