THE BROWNS BOARD

The Draft Class

Orion

- From the Browns site - 

3rd Round - Pick 68
CB Martin Emerson - Mississippi State

Emerson, a native of Pensacola, Florida, was a three-year starter at Mississippi State and recorded 16 career pass breakups and one interception. He's a tall, rangy cornerback at 6-foot-1 and 201 pounds and had 50 tackles and three pass breakups in 2021. He led Mississippi State with 11 pass breakups in 2020.

3rd Round - Pick 78
DE Alex Wright - UAB
Wright, an Elba, Alabama, recorded 12.5 sacks and 91 tackles across three seasons at UAB, including 46 tackles, 7.5 sacks and two forced fumbles in 2021. Wright, who's listed at 6-foot-5 and 270 pounds, was the Pro Football Focus Conference USA Defensive Player of the Year and a Second Team All-Conference USA selection.

3rd Round - Pick 99
WR David Bell - Purdue, an Indianapolis native, was a First Team All-American in 2021 with Purdue after he totaled 93 receptions for 1,286 yards and six touchdowns. He caught 21 total touchdowns across three seasons with the Boilermakers and was also a First Team All-Big Ten selection in 2020, when he caught 625 yards and eight touchdowns in six games in a pandemic-shortened season.

4th Round - Pick 108
DT Perrion Winfrey - Oklahoma
Winfrey is a two-time Second Team All-Big 12 selection at Oklahoma and totaled six sacks and 42 tackles in his last two college seasons. He was the MVP of the Reese's Senior Bowl. A native form Maywood, Illinois, Winfrey started his college career at Iowa Western Community College before transferring to the Big 12 and solidifying himself as a big, strong tackle who has starting-caliber traits in the league.

4th Round - Pick 124
K Cade York - LSU, a native of McKinney, Texas, was regarded as one of the top kicking prospects in the draft class. He converted 54 of 66 field goals in three seasons at LSU, including 15-of-18 field goals in his final season. He also converted 164 of 168 extra-point attempts. He's made 15 of his 19 career attempts of 50 or more yards and was a semi-finalist for the Lou Groza Award, given to the top kicker in the nation.

5th Round - Pick 156
RB Jerome Ford - Cincinnati
Ford, a Tampa Bay native, was a one-year starter at Cincinnati, where he rushed 214 times for 1,319 yards and 19 touchdowns in 2021. He was a First Team-All AAC selection that season and was the MVP of the AAC Championship Game as well as the conference's rushing leader. He played at Alabama his first two college seasons and is 5-foot-10 and 210 pounds.

6th Round - Pick 202
WR Michael Woods II - Oklahoma, a native of Magnolia, Texas, spent his first three college seasons at Arkansas before he transferred to Oklahoma for his senior season. He caught 35 passes for 400 yards and two touchdowns in 2021 and amassed 118 receptions, 1,648 yards and 12 touchdowns in his college career.

7th Round - Pick 223
DE Isaiah Thomas - Oklahoma
Thomas, a native from Tulsa, Oklahoma, was a two-year starter at Oklahoma who compiled 18.5 sacks in his last three seasons with the Sooners. He was a Second Team All-Big 12 selection in each of the last two years and led Oklahoma in sacks in 2021 (eight) and 2020 (8.5).

7th Round - Pick 246
C Dawson Deaton - Texas Tech, a native of Frisco, Texas, was a three-year starter at Texas Tech and two-time Second Team All-Big 12 selection. He played 45 games with 35 starts and earned a 70.1 grade from Pro Football Focus in 2021. He was also a team captain for the Red Raiders the last two seasons. At 6-foot-5 and 306 pounds, Deaton was one of the biggest centers of the draft class.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

So...we came away with 2 WR's as some talking heads said we might.  Though not one of the bigger names that we might have expected.

A couple of DE's...as some expected...a couple interior DL  All expected targets for us.   

The Kicker pick is notable because of the round being #4.  But, it's been an issue...and it's kinda' important because the kicker results directly in points, or the lack thereof.  

The RB pick is a head scratcher.  Is that the guy that they brought in as one of their pre draft player visits?  Has he come for D'E or Hunt?

We've now thrown another guy at the C position.  Late 7th, good idea I think.

.......there were some receivers around while we were taking a CB & a LB/DE...but we were able to snag one before leaving the 3rd round.  I hope one of 'em can ball.

- We certainly have thrown some bodies at our needs...and, ya can never have enough corners.

1 hour ago, Orion said:

So...we came away with 2 WR's as some talking heads said we might.  Though not one of the bigger names that we might have expected.

A couple of DE's...as some expected...a couple interior DL  All expected targets for us.   

The Kicker pick is notable because of the round being #4.  But, it's been an issue...and it's kinda' important because the kicker results directly in points, or the lack thereof.  

The RB pick is a head scratcher.  Is that the guy that they brought in as one of their pre draft player visits?  Has he come for D'E or Hunt?

We've now thrown another guy at the C position.  Late 7th, good idea I think.

.......there were some receivers around while we were taking a CB & a LB/DE...but we were able to snag one before leaving the 3rd round.  I hope one of 'em can ball.

- We certainly have thrown some bodies at our needs...and, ya can never have enough corners.

Posted it in another thread Orion...  Taking a running back when the Browns probably have more depth at that position than any other team in the NFL- does not compute.  

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/04/30/2022-nfl-draft-team-grades

Cleveland Browns
GRADE: B+

Round 3, Pick 68 (from Houston): Martin Emerson, CB, Mississippi State
Round 3, Pick 78: Alex Wright, DE, UAB
Round 3, Pick 99: David Bell, WR, Purdue
Round 4, Pick 108 (from Houston): Perrion Winfrey, DT, Oklahoma
Round 4, Pick 124 (from Philadelphia via Houston): Cade York, K, LSU
Round 5, Pick 156 (from Baltimore): Jerome Ford, RB, Cincinnati
Round 6, Pick 202 (from Dallas): Michael Woods II, WR, Oklahoma
Round 7, Pick 223 (from Detroit): Isaiah Thomas, DE, Oklahoma
Round 7, Pick 246 (from Buffalo): Dawson Deaton, C, Texas Tech

ANALYSIS: This year will be a significant test of the Browns’ process as a front office. Paul DePodesta and the scouting department have gotten roughly six years of data and experience to try and ferret out what makes a good football player and what is necessary to win. The results so far have yielded a single playoff win, far more than the Browns have enjoyed in the past but probably less than the average general manager from a non-analytical background dart throwing at Mel Kiper’s Big Board. That said, this draft is full of some players who can come in and play quickly. Winfrey is a favorite here and a player we discussed a bit on the podcast. The violent defensive tackle has some really impressive anticipatory skills against the run and a knack for pushing his way into the backfield. This is a year for hybrid run-stuffing/pass-rushing tackles and Winfrey is one of the best. A lingering question: Did Cleveland do enough at wide receiver?

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

Posted it in another thread Orion...  Taking a running back when the Browns probably have more depth at that position than any other team in the NFL- does not compute.  

I saw your post in the other thread.  And I say to that, "It computed to somebody."  So I'm trying to figure out the rationale.  

I'll ask again, Is he the RB that they brought in as one of the pre draft visits they're allowed?

12 hours ago, Orion said:

So I'm trying to figure out the rationale.  

I'll ask again, Is he the RB that they brought in as one of the pre draft visits they're allowed?

try to re-post again..

RB Visits..

• James Cook, Running Back, Georgia (PRI)  gone Bills 2.63
  • Rachaad White, Running Back, Arizona State (PRI) gone TB 3.91
  • Jerome Ford was a solid value at 5.156

Almost every Camp, a team like the Ravens loses starters or dang near starting RB's...  The trade value of Hunt or Johnson (both on contract season) will sky rocket... Berry decided to put a RB in his back pocket knowing the status of each ... stay tuned..Ford's a good passing weapon with good field vision

download.jpg.476b006becb4032d8b231f35271f6fba.jpg

17 hours ago, hoorta said:

Hunt and DJ are both probably gone after this year. So not only is he injury insurance, he has a chance to have a major role next year..

Steph seems to be moving away from being TE heavy and toward being RB heavy and that's cool with me ... faster team.

Z

Well, the only thing I almost got right was drafting a kicker in the fourth round - they did, but he was the first rated. I had picked the second guy - the first was said to be still working on accuracy, the ratbirds picked my guy right after.

They traded  out of the second round, I heard - they could have drafted Chad Muma., who went at #70.

Didn't watch the draft at all.

14 minutes ago, Zombo said:

Steph seems to be moving away from being TE heavy and toward being RB heavy and that's cool with me ... faster team.

Z

I was ready to see this^^ mid-season last year... man, I hope Stef shuffles a new deck of play-calling cards with these additions.. not adding a drafted TE maybe a good sign of things to come

21 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

I was ready to see this^^ mid-season last year... man, I hope Stef shuffles a new deck of play-calling cards with these additions.. not adding a drafted TE maybe a good sign of things to come

Hopper was a free agent fail.

Ran like he had cement boots on

NoJoke and Bryant can do everything he did, including blocking.

I feel like we are losing his fat slow ass and replacing him with more touches for our immensely talented backfield.

With a mobile 70% cpc 100% pr QB.

Z

• Like 1

when i heard Deat's name called?  I did this...

download.jpg.313346020038bb267d6ce18d6e0925de.jpg

Later viewing Deat's game-film..👀  my thoughts changed, to he may not have even been left on the board?

Corbett was a 2nd round pick that got beat up & than got coached up elsewhere.. This looks like another rookie that may have to take some NFL beat downs (Cam Erving/Austin Corbett) 

No ! Dawson Deaton has never carried a 1st or 2nd round grade... but I feel our good Athlete, can be coached up from the start with our excellent OL coach.. There's nothing wrong with a 7th round pick winning* a PS spot..

Good luck. Dawson !   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Dawson Deaton Draft and Combine Prospect Profile | NFL.com

image.thumb.png.0410dbcfd027f7ab2672676966c5d756.png

Decent numbers... Link has discussion and some video...

So is this OLineman a freak of nature, or is our new 3rd round WR really unathletic, because David Bell's vertical jump is only 4 inches higher than Deaton's. (I have to be honest, vertical jump isn't really something I pay attention to, but Deaton's vertical jumped out at me because I thought I heard Bell's was only 31. It was 33")

Watching Deaton vs OU right now.

Good wingspan, a bit on the tall side for a center... 6'4 ish?  That's damn tall for a center.  Lower body needs to add more strength, but he moves well and his eyes tend to take him to places where he makes fast and good decisions.   Actually looks pretty serviceable for a 7th round pick.  I'm somewhat shocked because Cam Jergens was drafted high on athletic profile alone,  this Deaton kids doesn't look to be that far off.

4 hours ago, gumby73 said:

RB Visits..

• James Cook, Running Back, Georgia (PRI)  gone Bills 2.63
  • Rachaad White, Running Back, Arizona State (PRI) gone TB 3.91
  • Jerome Ford was a solid value at 5.156

Thanks.  It was James Cook I was thinking of.

4 hours ago, Zombo said:

Hunt and DJ are both probably gone after this year.

But we drafted a RB this year.   We're certainly not keeping 4 RB's plus Felton.

9 minutes ago, Orion said:

Thanks.  It was James Cook I was thinking of.

But we drafted a RB this year.   We're certainly not keeping 4 RB's plus Felton.

Why not?

Z

6 minutes ago, Orion said:

Because it's too many.  IMO

So we've got the three top guys, two of which are free agents next year, and we are idiots for drafting and developing a possible  replacement this year?

You wanna pay three guys starter money or do you want to develop a high ceiling backup on a 4 year rookie contract?

Glad Berry is in charge and not you idiots.

Z

3 hours ago, Zombo said:

Why not?

Z

Because you're smarter than that Z...  You just don't carry more than three RBs on the active roster.  Right now, we have SIX running backs there, not counting Ford.  OK, count Felton as a WR if you like.  You're smoking something if you think he's going to be able to beat out Johnson who we re-upped.  Unless the Browns fancy him as a K\P returner, he's got practice squad written all over him.  Soon to go bye-bye to a RB needy team. Wasted pick Z, guys with his talent level are dime a dozen low rounds in any draft.  

Where's Ben Gay when you need a training camp sensation?   :D 

• Thanks 1

No matter What..... Draft Cade York ! 

Browns special teams coordinator Mike Priefer had several conversations with York this offseason. They watched film together in early March during the NFL Scouting Combine, and later in the pre-draft process, they met for dinner and a private workout.

https://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/story/sports/2022/05/02/browns-news-lsu-kicker-cade-york-fourth-round-nfl-draft-pick-phil-dawson-greg-mcmahon/9610796002/

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm going with a solid middle C... (i woke up the most 'after a draft 2 angry' in years)

a.) we simply let to many talented 'position of need' players get off the board...

b.) Look at trade up prices starting in the 2nd round... Berry had all the ammo he needed to draft 5 solid players, with a team ready to win now..

c.) what the heck are we going to do with 2 years of Berry's drafted rookie contracts? Keep them all? I say there ain't no way ! 

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

I'm going with a solid middle C... (i woke up the most 'after a draft 2 angry' in years)

a.) we simply let to many talented 'position of need' players get off the board...

b.) Look at trade up prices starting in the 2nd round... Berry had all the ammo he needed to draft 5 solid players, with a team ready to win now..

c.) what the heck are we going to do with 2 years of Berry's drafted rookie contracts? Keep them all? I say there ain't no way ! 

I definitely hate the front end of this draft... Emerson and Wright were guys that could've been had in the 4th-5th round

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

I love the Bell pick at WR. 

We shouldve took Pickens instead.. We gave the Stoolers a gift.. not once but twice by letting them nab Leal.

From the Monday May 2 Yahoo Sports, seems to be about what other services are reporting.   Sure seems like it came and went so fast.

Cleveland Browns

Picks: 3-68: Mississippi State CB Martin Emerson; 3-78: UAB DE Alex Wright; 3-99: Purdue WR David Bell; 4-108: Oklahoma DT Perrion Winfrey; 4-124: LSU K Cade York; 5-156: Cincinnati RB Jerome Ford; 6-202: Oklahoma WR Michael Woods; 7-223: Oklahoma EDGE Isaiah Thomas; 7-246: Texas Tech C Dawson Deaton

Favorite pick: Bell

Landing our No. 76 prospect at the 99th pick isn’t going to cause us to lose our minds, but it was a smart selection at a needy spot. Bell isn’t terribly different than Jarvis Landry, really, and could be productive if used correctly as a third wheel alongside Amari Cooper and Donovan Peoples-Jones. The opportunity will be there for Bell to contribute early, just as he did as a true freshman at Purdue, so getting him late in the third feels like a worthy investment.

Least-favorite pick: Emerson

He’s a physically gifted player with the length you love to see at the position, but he felt like a Day 3 pick. His feel for coverage is unnatural, he wasn’t a ballhawk in college and was way too grabby. Memphis and Alabama went after him and had success. So while there are traits to develop, we’re not exactly sure what Emerson’s realistic ceiling will be.

Overall: Their first- and fourth-rounders (and more) helped land Deshaun Watson; obvious risk with that move aside, that value could prove to be a franchise changer. And after moving back and accumulating more selections, the Browns were able to add depth on defense at positions of need. They also added help at receiver in the underrated Bell and landed a kicker who nailed a late-game 57-yarder in 2020 in heavy fog. The Watson move is a big part of this grade and that carries some volatility given his unresolved off-field troubles.

Grade: B-

Grade in 2021: A-
Grade in 2020: B+
Grade in 2019: A-

• Thanks 1