THE BROWNS BOARD

cade talks to phil

syd

Another soccer player turned kicker not unlike fellow Georgetown Texan Mason Crosby now playing for Green Bay and also Austin Texas kicker Justin Tucker who converted from soccer now playing for the Ravens. Hopefully our new Texan will be as great as those two have been.

5 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Another soccer player turned kicker not unlike fellow Georgetown Texan Mason Crosby now playing for Green Bay and also Austin Texas kicker Justin Tucker who converted from soccer now playing for the Ravens. Hopefully our new Texan will be as great as those two have been.

Isn't every NFL kicker in the last 50 years an ex-soccer player who converted to a football kicker? 

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Isn't every NFL kicker in the last 50 years an ex-soccer player who converted to a football kicker? 

50 years ago America did not even know what soccer was let alone play it anywhere.  LOL!😂

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

50 years ago America did not even know what soccer was let alone play it anywhere.  LOL!😂

Well when you Boomers go on and on about how great this country used to be, in this instance you guys are 100% correct. 😉😁

4 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Fifty years ago I was 7 years old and knew who PELE was....

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I was in HS over 50 years ago, and we had a soccer team.  Mostly weird kids, but we had one.

Guess Texas was behind the times then. But Venezuela was not. Those kids were born playing futbol and beisbol and good at both even in the barrios.

• Upvote 1

I guess Winslow is about a year into his 14 years.  If guess if he has to serve 60%, me might get out in 2030.

I wonder how he is doing?  Naa..I don't care.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I guess Winslow is about a year into his 14 years.  If guess if he has to serve 60%, me might get out in 2030.

I wonder how he is doing?  Naa..I don't care.

So strange that he fell so hard... My cousin was once a ball boy for the Browns... Winslow treated him rather well... Gave him quite handsome tips for running errands and such... Drugs can fuck up a person in no time... Sad.... A families once proud legacy turned to shit by one selfish individual...

7 hours ago, nickers said:

Sad.... A families once proud legacy turned to shit by one selfish individual...

Yeah, ya have to feel for the family...with the weirdo family member in the public eye.

• Upvote 1

On 5/14/2022 at 11:39 AM, TexasAg1969 said:

50 years ago America did not even know what soccer was

The first player to score a hat trick at the World Cup was a US player .. Bert Patenaude, in 1930, at the first WC ever held.  US finished 3rd in 1930 which remains the highest World Cup finish for any team outside of S America or Europe.

On 5/15/2022 at 5:25 AM, ballpeen said:

I was in HS over 50 years ago, and we had a soccer team.  Mostly weird kids, but we had one.

Soccer, recess for big kids.   :blink:

We in 1966 experimented playing full contact soccer on our football field in the summer.  It really was full contact no holds barred football practice, grabbing and passing the ball was just fine.  Blocking and tackling was encouraged the closest thing we had to sock-her in school. 

7 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Soccer, recess for big kids.   :blink:

We in 1966 experimented playing full contact soccer on our football field in thesummer.  It really was full contact no holds barred football practice, grabbing and passing the ball was just fine.  Blocking and tackling was encouraged the closest thing we had to sock-her in school. 

That sounds a lot like one we played in PE we called gatorball. It was played with a soccerball but you ran with it like football. But you could not just pick it up. If someone got it up in the air to you with their feet you could catch it and run toward the other team's goal. But as soon as anyone opposite team touched or ran into/over you in any way you had to pass it or kick it to another person within the next two steps or less. You could either kick it (like a punt, drop-kick or from the ground like soccer) or throw it through the goal (rectangular but half the length of a soccer goal) past a goalie for a one point score like soccer. If it hit the ground during the pass or kick (in any direction you wanted), then it had to be kicked up again in order to run with it. But like soccer you could also dribble it along with your feet if you wanted and kick it from the ground through the goal. The only whistle by the umpire was for violating the pickup rule or sending it out of bounds. It had to be turned over to the nearest opponent on the ground to put it back in play. It was a great non-stop running/catching/kicking game that we played for the whole PE hour. No sissy timeouts or water breaks. The only "break" was the whistle to turn it over to the other team's nearest player for the violation. It was a lot of fun to play and a real conditioning hour at the end of which we were all gasping for breath. And there was no silly soccer rule that you could not pass or kick to a player who was ahead of the other team's players. More like football there except you could kick it to them as well as throw any distance you wanted.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

...... The only "break" was the whistle to turn it over to the other team's nearest player for the violation. It was a lot of fun to play and a real conditioning hour at the end of which we were all gasping for breath. And there was no silly soccer rule that you could not pass or kick to a player who was ahead of the other team's players. More like football there except you could kick it to them as well as throw any distance you wanted.

Oh God yes, I still vividly remember as a 14 year old sophomore our starting senior quarterback coming up and getting in my face and saying something like ......what the £?€¿  are you trying to do.....  I sorta replied  " I'm trying to steal the ball.... well he barked something else and took off.

No timeouts or pats on the back necessary it was freaking 1966 Niles McKinley High School football !  

Oh that fall we went 10-0-0 with 6 shutouts and were ranked #5 in the USA !  (see the High School Forum)   We beat Massillon,  Canton McKinlley, Steubenville Big Red, Cleveland East and anyone else in our way. We won the Ohio All American Conference.....baby ! 

ALSO.....

According to Ohio High School Athletic Association records, the conference has four of the top six winningest programs in the state. Massillon (885-291-36), Canton McKinley (837-355-42) and Steubenville (815-319-34) are the top three, with Warren Harding sixth (700-440-49). Niles McKinley (580-439-56) and Alliance (551-479-17) also are in the top 50.

“Those were six some of the top football programs in Ohio,” Parry said. “I lived near our stadium [Bo Rein Stadium] and I remember [hearing about and watching] some great games between Niles and those teams.”.....

Oh yeah that was fun.  :D

1966-10-8-229x300.jpg

• Upvote 1

Later that summer before the regular football season I got hurt in a no uniforms pickup football game.  A friend of mine jumped on my back we went down.....my knee "accordianed" under our weight.....later swelled and bottom line my serious football playing was done.

I went back to becoming a passionate NHS, OHIO STATE,  YSU, NAVY, ND and of course Cleveland BROWNS fan and life goes on.

But it did get me out of gym class my junior year, so.....

GO BROWNS  !      Carry on.

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

Later that summer before the regular football season I got hurt in a no uniforms pickup football game.  A friend of mine jumped on my back we went down.....my knee "accordianed" under our weight.....later swelled and bottom line my serious football playing was done.

I went back to becoming a passionate NHS, OHIO STATE,  YSU, NAVY, ND and of course Cleveland BROWNS fan and life goes on.

But it did get me out of gym class my junior year, so.....

GO BROWNS  !      Carry on.

Well at least you weren't stupid enough as a senior to race in to the showers and beat all the rest of the team to the concrete pad, skid across it and then catch your left cleats in the ground as you exited the concrete. It only caused a dislocated left ankle and broken left leg. When I told the coach he needed to take me to the hospital he did not believe me when I told him very calmly that I heard it snap. In my hospital room that night he apologized saying he thought I would be screaming in agony if I had broken it. I told him it hurt like hell and a request for a hospital visit made more sense to me than crying about it. I finally healed enough by baseball season to play 3rd base. I was no longer fast enough for center field due more to the dislocation taking the most time to get full range of motion back. My base stealing days were over too. But all's well that ends well. I'm still fast enough at 75 to play a very tough game of racquetball. I tell the young ones that old age and guile beats youth and inexperience 9 times out of 10. LOL!😂

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Oh God yes, I still vividly remember as a 14 year old sophomore our starting senior quarterback coming up and getting in my face and saying something like ......what the £?€¿  are you trying to do.....  I sorta replied  " I'm trying to steal the ball.... well he barked something else and took off.

No timeouts or pats on the back necessary it was freaking 1966 Niles McKinley High School football !  

Oh that fall we went 10-0-0 with 6 shutouts and were ranked #5 in the USA !  (see the High School Forum)   We beat Massillon,  Canton McKinlley, Steubenville Big Red, Cleveland East and anyone else in our way. We won the Ohio All American Conference.....baby ! 

ALSO.....

According to Ohio High School Athletic Association records, the conference has four of the top six winningest programs in the state. Massillon (885-291-36), Canton McKinley (837-355-42) and Steubenville (815-319-34) are the top three, with Warren Harding sixth (700-440-49). Niles McKinley (580-439-56) and Alliance (551-479-17) also are in the top 50.

“Those were six some of the top football programs in Ohio,” Parry said. “I lived near our stadium [Bo Rein Stadium] and I remember [hearing about and watching] some great games between Niles and those teams.”.....

Oh yeah that was fun.  :D

1966-10-8-229x300.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Well at least you weren't stupid enough as a senior to race in to the showers and beat all the rest of the team to the concrete pad, skid across it and then catch your left cleats in the ground as you exited the concrete. It only caused a dislocated left ankle and broken left leg. When I told the coach he needed to take me to the hospital he did not believe me when I told him very calmly that I heard it snap. In my hospital room that night he apologized saying he thought I would be screaming in agony if I had broken it. I told him it hurt like hell and a request for a hospital visit made more sense to me than crying about it. I finally healed enough by baseball season to play 3rd base. I was no longer fast enough for center field due more to the dislocation taking the most time to get full range of motion back. My base stealing days were over too. But all's well that ends well. I'm still fast enough at 75 to play a very tough game of racquetball. I tell the young ones that old age and guile beats youth and inexperience 9 times out of 10. LOL!😂

Or as my one high school teacher put it all the time.....

......when given a chance students will cheat on a test IF given a chance ....(as he's moving the desks apart)..... 9 times out of 8.

Ron "Rip" Randall a really cool guy and our senior class teacher sponsor.

Things like that you remember sometimes forever especially if you have good, honest, caring individuals as teachers and coaches and examples when you are young.

Probably why I've always tried to make a difference in things that I do and say.

Thanks Rip, gym teacher Lou Toth (a WWII marine tough guy who had one lung but still smoked like a chimney) great guy,  my dad a cub scout, boy scout, explorer leader and amazing dad, and the many others in my life.

I only hope today's kids have a fraction of what I had growing up.     OK end of soap box stuff.

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

Or as my one high school teacher put it all the time.....

......when given a chance students will cheat on a test IF given a chance ....(as he's moving the desks apart)..... 9 times out of 8.

Ron "Rip" Randall a really cool guy and our senior class teacher sponsor.

Things like that you remember sometimes forever especially if you have good, honest, caring individuals as teachers and coaches and examples when you are young.

Probably why I've always tried to make a difference in things that I do and say.

Thanks Rip, gym teacher Lou Toth (a WWII marine tough guy who had one lung but still smoked like a chimney) great guy,  my dad a cub scout, boy scout, explorer leader and amazing dad, and the many others in my life.

I only hope today's kids have a fraction of what I had growing up.     OK end of soap box stuff.

And my coach above was also a social studies teacher who in 1964 explained the importance of the Civil Rights Act and who informed us of who Martin Luther King was. Quite advanced in those days for a native white Alabaman with a degree from Bama. Unfortunately he was murdered with a knife in the heart by a nighttime intruder in his home many years later. Jim Burns was a truly great man, unafraid then of going against the grain of his state which gave us racist Gov. Wallace.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

And my coach above was also a social studies teacher who in 1964 explained the importance of the Civil Rights Act and who informed us of who Martin Luther King was. Quite advanced in those days for a native white Alabaman with a degree from Bama. Unfortunately he was murdered with a knife in the heart by a nighttime intruder in his home many years later. Jim Burns was a truly great man, unafraid then of going against the grain of his state which gave us racist Gov. Wallace.

In 1968 I was in year 1 at YSU during class my buddy said there's going to be something going at the Stambaugh Auditorium off campus.  So  after class we beat it up to Stambaugh and had an upfront rope line view of what was going on. 

That's where we got to see Governor George Wallace up close and personal.  I still have my 1968 WALLACE/LEMAY bumper sticker. 

Colonel Curtis Lemay the European bomber campaign leader later WWII Pacific bomber commander until the end.  Good VP candidate with Wallace. 

• Upvote 1