THE BROWNS BOARD

Could Browns Release Lewis Today?

Flugel

Could the Browns actually release Jamal Lewis today?

Saturday, September 05, 2009

Mary Kay Cabot

Plain Dealer Reporter

Could Browns running back Jamal Lewis be cut today when the Browns trim their roster to 53?

NFL sources said rumblings began a couple of days ago that Lewis, who turned 30 last week, could be one of the dozen players the Browns let go, and ESPN.com's Adam Schefter on Friday put Lewis at the top of his list of big-name players on the bubble. Nationalfootballpost.com's Mike Lombardi also speculated Lewis will be cut.

The question is, would the Browns release a player after giving him a $3.5 million roster bonus in March? Would they put the ball in the hands of rookie running back James Davis? And what about Je rome Harrison, still recovering from a left knee in jury?

"Nobody has told us anything about Jamal," said his agent, Mitch Frankel. "We've had no conversations with the Browns about him, and no one has told Jamal anything."

Frankel said he would be surprised if the Browns part with the 10th-year pro.

"Jamal is a great asset to that team," he said. "But anything can happen in the NFL."

Frankel said Lewis, who also has heard the speculation, is taking it one day at a time.

"We'll wait and see like everyone else," he said.

Lewis, coming back from off-season ankle surgery, averaged 2.6 yards per carry on his 24 preseason carries with a long gain of 11. He hinted during an interview on his birthday, Aug. 26, that he wasn't going all out yet. However, his protege, Davis, averaged 7.8 yards per carry and scored on an 81-yard burst against the Lions, although many of those yards came against backups.

After Thursday night's game in Chicago, during which Lewis and the rest of the starters were idle, Lewis praised the young back, who picked up a blitz on a touchdown pass and blocked well on Gerard Lawson's 55-yard kickoff return.

"I've known him for a long time, and to see him come out here and do a good job and take things in the way he has and handle things like a real professional, that's a great deal," said Lewis, who attended the same high school as Davis in Atlanta. "He runs good, and he looks good, and he's going to be a great back."

He's also spent much of the off-season mentoring his apparent successor.

"Whatever I know, I try to give to him, and he takes it and adds to it everything else that he has and makes it special," said Lewis, who rushed for 1,304 yards in 2007. "I try to let him know everything I did wrong and how to make it right."

Lewis, who last season became the 24th back in NFL history to reach 10,000 career yards, also was looking forward to sharing reps with the rookie.

"When they brought him here, I was like, 'That's cool,' because I remember him from high school, so being able to be in the same backfield with him and practices and the same meeting rooms, and actually share my experiences with him, it's a good deal," said Lewis. "I had a Priest Holmes [as a mentor] when I came in the league, and I try to pass the same things down."

If the Browns cut Lewis, that would mean they paid him $10 million for the 1,002-yard season he had in 2008. Signed to a three-year extension by then-GM Phil Savage in 2008, Lewis made $6.5 million in 2008, including bonuses, and then the $3.5 million roster bonus in 2009.

Would it be wise to cut him after that kind of investment? His base salary for 2009 is $2.4 million, which he would not get if released.

"Eric Mangini and George Kokinis are running the team, and they can do whatever they want," Frankel said of the Browns coach and GM.

If it does happen, the Browns potentially would have at least $19 million on the books this season for players who are either gone, on the bench, or coming off it. Derek Anderson, who could be the backup quarterback, received a $5 million roster bonus in April. Corey Williams, who's playing behind Robaire Smith at right end, received a $6 million bonus. Receiver Donté Stallworth, who's suspended for the season, received a $4.5 million bonus, and Lewis got $3.5 million.

The deadline for final cuts is 6 p.m. today.

Others on the bubble:

Rookie receiver Jordan Norwood, who showed promise early in camp, dropped a potential touchdown pass in Chicago and could be headed for the practice squad. . . . Second-year tight end Martin Rucker hopes to get the nod over free-agent tight end Aaron Walker. "[saturday] comes with some butterflies, but I feel I had a good camp and worked as hard as I could," Rucker said. . . . Running back Noah Herron suffered what appeared to be a stinger and sat out most of the Chicago game, but could make the team if Lewis doesn't. . . . Linebacker Beau Bell, the Browns' fourth-round pick in 2008, might not make the team. . . . Receiver Paul Hubbard could be headed back to the practice squad. So could second-year receiver Lance Leggett. . . . Linebacker Leon Williams could get beaten out by rookie free agent Marcus Benard.

To reach this Plain Dealer reporter:

mcabot@plaind.com, 216-999-4670

I would hate to see Jamal go, because he is a tough dude and in Decemebr he tends to wear down some defenses. JD will do really good as long as our OL stays healthy and whoever the QB is can complete some passes. I know that EM will keep the best players for the future. So we will just wait and see i guess, we have about 9 hours to find out. Now I'm going to get some wings and watch a beat down at the Shoe.

I'd love to see Benard make it over Williams, I've had enough of that guy.

Beau Bell is no biggie to me, I don't think he has the smarts for a guy like Mangie.

Lewis is not going anywhere, they have no depth. I keep hearing Harrison is the one on the bubble, which blows my mind if he is. This team is way too thin at RB to just go cutting a guy like Lewis or Harrison. Unless there is some guy out there that Mangie loves and knows is going to get cut, it makes no sense.

Mary Kay has got potentially three WR's going to the Practice Squad LMAO. Hey Mary Kay, let's just throw everybody that gets cut on the PS, that sounds good.

I like the Gator TE, but stil think you gotta go with Rucker's upside.

Hey, what happened to Glue Hands Hubbard being a potential starter?

They keep Patten and six WR's.......

Does Shaefering have a shot after a big game? He's the kind of motor guy Mangie likes.

I like Bernard as well.

Also agree on the receivers...we won't keep 3 on the PS....maybe even 2.

I myself like Walker over rucker based on the type of O we now have..but I think both can make it...I read somewhere last week Ruckers was playing some H-back..which would make room and leaving a guy like Ali on the cut list.

As for Lewis...if he can't run anymore, I don't think we need him.

Backs...at least to me is a position you don't need a lot of mentoring. I just don't think there are that many tips you learn as a back as say a O-lineman might pick up tips with years of experience.

What is Lewis going to tell davis...don't let Ray Lewis hit you?

If Lewis stays...fine...if not, I am not going to rant and rave and start looking for the sky to fall.

I have mixed feelings so I'm gonna be a pussy here. I LIKE reading how much he's helping the younger guys. That said, if one of the younger guys STEALS his starting job - I don't want him turning into a sour puss like Trent Doofus was.

He's had ankle surgery and he doesn't run in such a manner where physics will help him anymore. That's TOO BIG a man to be running upright on the tippy-toes like he's Pamela Anderson. This ain't the same guy that lit us up for 500 yards in just 6 quarters back in the day. He didn't get the mega bonus and salary to only be capable of 2.5 yards per carry. That said, Baltimore spent a few seasons contmeplating what was right and wrong about keeping the guy before we inherited the same questions. I liked his first year with us but I think the wear and tear reaches a point of no return and sometimes you gotta try to read the writing on the wall.

- Tom F.

I can't see too many people being upset if Lewis were to go. Fans up here, even the novices, are not up with Lewis.

I just don't think you can jettison a guy like that before the season even starts. He is still capable of being a bell cow, but we just have to live with him leaving yards on the field at times.

Honestly, I would be at the point of shock if he were to be let go.

I doubt they let Ali go, he's a pretty good backup and STer and Vickers has shown some injury problems. They won't keep 4 TE's, but I can see Walker being kept around on the PS.

I have mixed feelings so I'm gonna be a pussy here. I LIKE reading how much he's helping the younger guys. That said, if one of the younger guys STEALS his starting job - I don't want him turning into a sour puss like Trent Doofus was.

He's had ankle surgery and he doesn't run in such a manner where physics will help him anymore. That's TOO BIG a man to be running upright on the tippy-toes like he's Pamela Anderson. This ain't the same guy that lit us up for 500 yards in just 6 quarters back in the day. He didn't get the mega bonus and salary to only be capable of 2.5 yards per carry. That said, Baltimore spent a few seasons contmeplating what was right and wrong about keeping the guy before we inherited the same questions. I liked his first year with us but I think the wear and tear reaches a point of no return and sometimes you gotta try to read the writing on the wall.

- Tom F.

If they were going to cut him, it should have been week 1 so he could find another team. A guy like Lewis is not getting cut the week of 53, plus he didn't play week 4. Unless I am missing something, we need Jamal. The most "experienced" RB besides Jamal sat 3 games this preseason.

If we cut Jamal, "bats will fly out of my ass." Cross thread points?

I'd be shocked if Lewis wasn't the starting RB against Minn. I don't think there is any question about him making the team. When interviewed he said that he expects to be sharing carries with Davis. Mangini has said that Davis isn't up to where Lewis is, so that says a lot to me.

For Shep:

Mack should start and though it isn't getting much attention Fraley is on the bubble and his status may depend on Hadnot and if they can pick up a tackle off of waivers.

Hall will backup both Wimbley and Bowens and get plenty of playing time.

Rubin will get a lot of playing time spelling Rogers. I would expect to see Veikune on special teams and maybe in some special formations but he won't see the field at LB a lot early in the season, barring injury. Francies will play on special teams and could wiggle in on some dime packages but don't expect to see him on the field at the beginning of the season either.

If they were going to cut him, it should have been week 1 so he could find another team.

That sounds nice and all Vegas but we both know that's not the way the NFL works. PLUS, I think he already got the roster bonus so we don't need to worry if someone else will sign him if he has nothing left to give at this time.

- Tom F.

That sounds nice and all Vegas but we both know that's not the way the NFL works.

That is exactly the way the NFL works. A guy like Jamal is not cut the final week of the season for a rookie 6th rounder who flashed a couple moves. IF Jamal was not the RB you want, the coach would do him the courtesy of telling him BACK IN MAY. Mangini did no such thing.

You do NOT treat a 10 year vet who is one of the best TEAM players we have like that. It will send the wrong message number 1, and 2 it would be stupid. Say Davis gets hurt. Harrison is hurt. Then who runs the ball? Jennings or Herron? No, if you had planned on replacing Jamal than you tell him your intentions. You trade him. You do everything BUT cut him the last week of the preseason.

Guys get cut as veterans this late, just not a guy who is your only vet RB, and with no veteran alternative to start.

Let's keep him and convert him to 2nd string FB and use him in two backs sets where we can have him doing some flares out of the backfield and catching some of Quinns short passes.

And start the davis kid with a little harrison on the side. If there are injurys or its late in the game and we are up then use him as a eat clock back.

That is exactly the way the NFL works. A guy like Jamal is not cut the final week of the season for a rookie 6th rounder who flashed a couple moves. IF Jamal was not the RB you want, the coach would do him the courtesy of telling him BACK IN MAY. Mangini did no such thing.

Thanks for the response Vegas. I hear what you are saying and think the part about the 6th round draft pick makes perfect sense logically. However, there's ALWAYS veterans that reach the end of the road and they are let go when THAT has been detemined. For example, Tedi Bruschi wasn't CUT per say - he was just allowed to retire on the final week of training camp. I think we can understand the difference there because Bruschi was a vocal leader of a SB defense that participated in 4 Superbowls since 2000. I think he even played on the SB team lost lost to GB in the late 90s. Moral of the story - there's never a convenient time to tell someone he's lost the magic. If you give him a full training camp like Bruschi had - he can at least feel appreciative he had the opportunity to go out there and prove he still had it.

If you want to disagree with me about the timing of determining the end of the road - that's fine. I just think Lewis got his bonus because we were emaciated at RB depth and you're not gonna make the OWNER happy if you say "remember that $3 million I had you pay Jamal as a roster bonus for remainign with us? I just cut his ass." That logic puts the RAC right back into crack if you know what I mean. Getting a bonus because we're depleted at a position is far less impressive than gettign a bonus because you're looking like Superman on the gridiron. I'm guessing if NE wasn't loaded up with younger talent at LBer - they'd HAVE to squeeze another year out of Bruschi in NE like we're doign with Lewis.

The title of this thread is "COULD the Brown Release Lewis Today?" We haven't been good enough over our last 16 games to feel like we owe Jamal the intese appreciation over what he accomplished back in 2003 against us. It's 2009 as we speak and this does't look anything like that Lewis. It's looking like he'll be kept around but that doesn't mean people are wrong about how wear and tear has impacted his performance. Get film of him running in 03 and compare it with the guy favoring a bad anke in 09. NOW, take what you learned and apply it to the reality that we need to compete with Baltimore and Pittsburgh in 2009. Could he make either one of those teams today?

- Tom F.

The title of this thread is "COULD the Brown Release Lewis Today?" NOW, take what you learned and apply it to the reality that we need to compete with Baltimore and Pittsburgh in 2009. Could he make either one of those teams today?

- Tom F.

I think maybe you're missing my point. I never said Lewis was too good to cut, or that we owe him a roster spot because of a bonus or what he has so far brought to the team. I said 2 things:

1) You don't have any experience behind him on this team, and cutting him for a 6th rounder and another guy (Harrison) who was hurt would be dumb. Chris Jennings is not the answer either.

2) If you had plans to change the RB situation, you're bringing in more than just JD and JH. You sign any of the Vets on the street, like Alexander or Edge, to push Jamal.

But to think Jamal "could" be cut based on what I've "learned" would be absolutley, positively stupid. Period. You can't get past the stupidity of that choice as a coach for me. Mangini would have to be okay with committing Hari Kari on the field in front of the fans.

I looked at the situation, saw the players we have behind him, and concluded that cutting him, especially this late and with no experience at RB, would be dumb, and therefore not very fooking likely. Turns out I was right.

We don't live in fairytale land.

I think maybe you're missing my point. I never said Lewis was too good to cut, or that we owe him a roster spot because of a bonus or what he has so far brought to the team. I said 2 things:

1) You don't have any experience behind him on this team, and cutting him for a 6th rounder and another guy (Harrison) who was hurt would be dumb. Chris Jennings is not the answer either.

2) If you had plans to change the RB situation, you're bringing in more than just JD and JH. You sign any of the Vets on the street, like Alexander or Edge, to push Jamal.

But to think Jamal "could" be cut based on what I've "learned" would be absolutley, positively stupid. Period. You can't get past the stupidity of that choice as a coach for me. Mangini would have to be okay with committing Hari Kari on the field in front of the fans.

I looked at the situation, saw the players we have behind him, and concluded that cutting him, especially this late and with no experience at RB, would be dumb, and therefore not very fooking likely. Turns out I was right.

So that means he deserves a $3 million roster bonus and we deserve to remain stuck on pause with his ass? As I've said, I won't MIND Lewis hanging around if he's okay with his demotion as soon as it's warranted (like now). Have you ever seen him yelling at coaches when they take him off the field? I think it's a foreshadowing of things to come. We don't need another guy like Dilfer lingerign around whining about their overpaid ass getting demoted.

I guess thinking RBs that can't run on damaged wheels anymore places me in fairytale land. You're right, it just seems more realistic to tell the Pittsburgh Steelers and Baltimore Ravens that the Tinkerbell Tap Dance is going to deliver them Hell on broken wheels in 2009. Thanks for re-directing me.

RB is THE most instinctive position in all of football. That's why guys like Steve Slaton, AP, Warrick Dunn, Terrell Davis, Marshall Faulk, Brian Westbrook and many others were ready from day 1. Of course there are things to learn like blitz adjustments and blocking but that's why they practice and have a film room. It's also why Davis has been working on such a thing.

The Houston Texans had the SAME problem in 2008 that we have right now. They had 2 veteran RBs that were chronically injured this late in their careers (Chris Brown & Ahman Green). Somebody had the grapefruits in that organization to say Slaton looks pretty good while the other guys are completely done with their best football. Turned out okay Chris. I guess you can inform me they didn't have to cut Green or Brown but it sure seems like those guys were way overpaid based on their capability at that point in their careers.

- Tom F. (Maybe Jamal just breaks more tackles when they don't tackle in practice, so he looks better in practice than he does in the games right now)

So that means he deserves a $3 million roster bonus and we deserve to remain stuck on pause with his ass?

Dude you're all over the damn place, so try and focus. This thread claimed Lewis might get cut YESTERDAY. He got the bonus months ago. I was NOT debating Lewis receiving a bonus, I was saying he was not one of the cut downs.

Focus man. Stay on topic.

This thread claimed Lewis might get cut YESTERDAY. He got the bonus months ago. I was NOT debating Lewis receiving a bonus, I was saying he was not one of the cut downs.

Focus man. Stay on topic.

I didn't realize I ever left the running game concerns I started this thread with. Are we or aren't we giving up an ACTIVE roster spot for a RB that doesn't look like he can RUN any more? If so, color me concerned because if anyone has placed a SOBER eye on Jamal Lewis this preseason - they can't possibly be excited about his 33% of the RB trio right now. This conversation has to go DEEPER than him merely making the team Chris. It was started before your 20/20 hindsight got into focus. You claimed you were right about how valuable lewis is because he made the team. I explained the ONLY reason he made the team was because he got a roster bonus so there's no possible way Mangini can explain to Lerner that he cut the SAME guy he got randy to fork over the $3 million roster bonus for. Not sure how this seems off topic to you but then again I'd have to think Piaget's critical thinking also applies to you.

Seems to me, we're down to 3 RBs and only 1 of them appeared to be completely healthy this preseason. I can't control that the 1 healthy guy vastly outperforming the other 2 is a rookie. All I CAN do is remind you it worked out okay for the Houston Texans in 2008 when they started their rookie RB over the 2 RBs who were over the hill (Chris Brown and Ahman Green). That said, if Davis gets hurt while Harrison is dinged up again - it leaves us our running game relying on the dead ankles of Jamal Lewis. We need to get younger and healthier at that position asap.

- Tom F.

I AM staying on topic. Are we or aren't we giving up a roster spot for a RB that doesn't look like he can RUN any more?

We are keeping a roster spot.. for a guy who CAN STILL RUN.

Mangini says he can.. I 'm inclined to trust Mangini's opinion on this more than yours and the other yutz naysayers on this board. He sees him every day. You guys have seen him for a handful of plays.. IN PRESEAON.. PRESEASON MEANS DICK..

Unless you want to apply this formula across the board.. and not to just Jamal lewis...

Thomas jones 2.1 per carry in preseason.cut him too

Steve Slayton 2.9 cut him

Jerome harrison 1.3 cut him

LaDanian Tomlinson 2.3 per carry ..he sucks

Reggie Bush 1.7 per carry .. trade him

Ladell Bett.. Guess his thousand yard season of 2 years ago was a fluke. 1.9 per carry cut him

McClain from Baltimore.. 2.0 per carry.. last year was a fluke..cut him

Maroney 2.3 sucks

Marchawn Lynch 2.7 per carry... just leave him suspended

Chris Johnson of Tenneseee... Rookie season must be a one year wonder 3.1 per carry.. cut his butt too

LenDale White.. 2.8 per carry.. cut his unfattened butt.

Justin Fargas.. Guess his thousand yard seasons were history.. 1.7 per carry cut him

Get my point.. Just cuz Jamal's preseason numbers are down..does not mean he cannot play.

Tom I am not debating Lewis and his roster spot. I have been debating anyone saying he might get cut YESTERDAY. Two entirely different topics. I don't have any doubts we needed a new starter coming into the season. Last season even. All I wanted to say was cuttin him yesterday was not going to happen. It didn't and I was correct.

Get my point.. Just cuz Jamal's preseason numbers are down..does not mean he cannot play.

LOL! Okay, let's just pretend Jamal didn't REALLY have major reconstructive surgeries on his ankles that completely changed the way he runs because you found other RBs that didn't have good preseason numbers. He's running on tippy toes like Tinkerbell but let's change the subject to what other RBs are doing so when I respond - you can watch me get accused of getting offtopic.

Have you even WATCHED Lewis once yet? I'll talk regular season. His average went down from 4.4 yards a carry in 2007 to 3.6 in 2008. Math tells me that's dangerously close to a full yard per carry lost on average. HOMER vrs reality. I'll go with reality and you can go with being the HOMER who believes he's the better fan. Comeon Sez!

If you've read ANYTHING I've written this year - it's been all complimentary toward Mankok. I just think they inherited a nightmare at RB and I think their James Davis solution on draft day was fantastic. I piggybacked my excitement over the pick the very first time Shep posted a nice thread about Davis back in April or May.

There's NOTHING wrong with fans wanting more than 1 healthy RB on our active roster. Is there? If so, then I'm the terrible fan you accuse me of being.

- Tom F.

This is from ESPN...

Trending down: RB Jamal Lewis

.... Of Lewis' 279 carries last year, 135 gained two yards or less, while only 18 gained 11 yards or more. ....Lewis produced just four touchdowns on 18 carries inside the five....

There was a lot more, but you get the drift.

I think we'll be okay. Alo really likes this Peerman kid and I remember him chubbing for him around draft time. I really wanted Sutton but we had to get somebody. I think the key in all this is how healthy can Harrison be? He has become a forgotten man after being injured most of the preseason.

I'm fine with keeping Lewis for now, there was no other choice. Like Tom said, this regime inherited the RB problem and had a ton of holes to fill. Staying with Lewis and his contract that Phillip gave him--and hoping to squeeze one last year out of him is about all they could do.

Here's what I want to see: If Lewis is clearly struggling out the gate they need to get Davis and Harrison seriously involved. If Lewis goes into Operation Dildofer by pouting so be it, this ain't RAC 'n ROLLS fanny tapping anymore, you play the best guys that give you the best chance to win.

Lewis can still be valuable, and to be honest I like him in the screen game with Quinn at QB. Lewis can still run in space and the second level, the problem is his slow ass tap dancing before the hole closes, plus he can't pop it outside or get off tackle before it closes. He also goes down way too easy until he gets his momentum behind him, hence making him a not very good short yardage back regardless of size.

Let's get behind this Peerman and see what he's got. It wouldn't hurt to keep Jennings around on the PS or pick someone else up and stash them there.

I think we'll be okay. Alo really likes this Peerman kid and I remember him chubbing for him around draft time. I really wanted Sutton but we had to get somebody. I think the key in all this is how healthy can Harrison be? He has become a forgotten man after being injured most of the preseason.

I'm fine with keeping Lewis for now, there was no other choice. Like Tom said, this regime inherited the RB problem and had a ton of holes to fill. Staying with Lewis and his contract that Phillip gave him--and hoping to squeeze one last year out of him is about all they could do.

Here's what I want to see: If Lewis is clearly struggling out the gate they need to get Davis and Harrison seriously involved. If Lewis goes into Operation Dildofer by pouting so be it, this ain't RAC 'n ROLLS fanny tapping anymore, you play the best guys that give you the best chance to win.

Lewis can still be valuable, and to be honest I like him in the screen game with Quinn at QB. Lewis can still run in space and the second level, the problem is his slow ass tap dancing before the hole closes, plus he can't pop it outside or get off tackle before it closes. He also goes down way too easy until he gets his momentum behind him, hence making him a not very good short yardage back regardless of size.

Let's get behind this Peerman and see what he's got. It wouldn't hurt to keep Jennings around on the PS or pick someone else up and stash them there.

I even like Harrison if we can ever get him healthy enough and complete enough for a workload that exceeds 5 plays. His previous obstacles have been injuries at inopportune times and BLOCKING to protect QBs from the blitz. When he plays - I can only summarize what I see as exciting and intrigued to see more.

Like Riff says when you take away the RAC - you don't have to worry about spelling crack anymore.

- Tom F.

This is from ESPN...

There was a lot more, but you get the drift.

Might as well take a look at the whole article.

About The Browns . . .

Just pointing out some stats. . .

1. No matter who plays quarterback, Braylon Edwards and Jamal Lewis are just as important to improving the Browns' offense. Both had dramatic declines last season, and the regression began long before the quarterbacks started getting hurt. I'm going to use some material compiled by Pro Football Outsiders coming from their new book, "Football Outsiders Almanac 2009." Some of the material is complicated, but lots of great stuff can be found in more than 500 pages.

2. In 2008, Lewis had three runs for more than 20 yards, his longest being a 27-yarder. In 2007, he had runs of 66, 47, 31, 31, plus six other runs of more than 20 yards. That means 10 runs of at least 20 yards compared with three last year.

3. Last season, 135 of Lewis' 279 runs were for 2 or fewer yards. That was 48 percent, up from 44 percent in 2007. He had 40 runs that resulted in no yards gained or a loss. Lewis also ranked fifth in the NFL in percentage of dropped passes (16 percent), even higher than Edwards (11 percent). That's why simply looking at Lewis running for 1,002 yards doesn't tell the true story of 2008.

4. Nor was the decline in Lewis' running due strictly to the Browns losing all their quarterbacks to injury, a situation which allowed defenses to stack the line to defend the run. When Derek Anderson started the first eight games, Lewis had 535 yards, 3.7 yards per carry. In the last eight, it was 467 yards, 3.4 yards per carry. Both numbers were way down from his 4.4-yard average in 2007 when he gained 1,304 yards.

5. Much is made of the Browns being 10-3 when Lewis receives at least 20 carries. But part of the reason he's getting 20 carries in those games is the team is playing well, he is running well and that leads to more carries. They were 7-1 in 2007 and 3-2 in 2008 when he carried the ball at least 20 times.

6. This is not to write off Lewis, or immediately write in impressive rookie James Davis as the starting running back. It is to say that this is a critical year for the 30-year-old Lewis, who needs to show he can occasionally break off a big run. If not, then the Browns need to use some sort of dual-back system with Lewis and a younger, faster back. They play six games (two each against Pittsburgh and Baltimore) against teams that ranked in the top five in run defense in 2008. Somehow, the Browns must find a way to get some yardage on the ground or it will be a very, very long season.

7. Just as critical is Edwards. The Outsiders counted 15 dropped passes for him, most in the NFL. He also had nine passes in his direction that were intercepted, that was No. 2 in the NFL. Finally, his nine penalties ranked 16th in the NFL. These are all extremely negative stats, but they are all things that can be improved upon. Penalties can be reduced, passes can be caught and a receiver can fight hard with a defensive back to prevent interceptions.

8. In 2007, Edwards had a Pro Bowl season with 80 catches, (16 for TDs). He did not rank in the top 20 in penalties. His 12 drops were second in the NFL. Nor was he in the top 20 in having passes intercepted. Point being, he can improve on his decline in 2008, especially since Edwards will play this season at age 26.

9. Joshua Cribbs seeing regular work at receiver should help Edwards. If Cribbs is on the field often, he is a threat to catch short-and mid-range passes. The same is true of slot receiver Mike Furrey. Compare that to a heavy dose of Syndric Steptoe and Donte Stallworth as the other receivers besides Edwards in 2008. Furrey is the third-down possession receiver the Browns have lacked since Joe Jurevicius in 2007.

10. In the past three seasons, 100 of the 177 passes Furrey caught have been for first downs. That is especially impressive since he averages about 10 yards per catch. That means he knows where to run to get the needed yards to keep drives alive. The Browns had no one to do that last season.

11. Cribbs also could help Lewis as another running threat. If he is on the field often, opposing defenses will have to pay attention to Cribbs when he goes in motion. That might create some holes for Lewis.

12. The Browns have two rookie receivers in Brian Robiskie and Mohamed Massaquoi, and odds are at least one should be a factor this season. But it's a relief to know the Browns are not counting on both to make a major impact.

13. You like the Browns' screen passes in the preseason? They do look good, especially since the Browns threw the fewest screens in the NFL over the previous two seasons. The Browns also ran the fewest draw plays in the league in 2008.

14. What about Robert Royal at tight end? The Outsiders wrote: "He posted career highs in games started, receptions and yardage last year, and still was the second worst tight end in the league according to DVOA [their rating system]. Cleveland fans who were accustomed to watching Kellen Winslow do his thing should treat the news that Royal will be competing with Steve Heiden for the starting tight end job with a mixture of shock and disgust."

15. When it comes to the Winslow situation, The Outsiders whiffed, just as Winslow did on many of his blocks. Winslow was called seven times for offensive pass interference because his achy knees had trouble motoring away from defenders. His blocking was awful. He is a gifted receiver when he touches the ball, but has so many other issues. If healthy, Heiden is a solid tight end. By the end of the season, the Browns may have a number of problems -- but I doubt tight end will be a major one.

Tom I am not debating Lewis and his roster spot. I have been debating anyone saying he might get cut YESTERDAY. Two entirely different topics. I don't have any doubts we needed a new starter coming into the season. Last season even. All I wanted to say was cuttin him yesterday was not going to happen. It didn't and I was correct.

Fair enough Vegas. You did say he wouldn't get cut and you were right. I'll be honest, I wasn't totally sure either way - which was why I thought posting this would become an interesting discussion piece. I knew I better start the Subject Heading with the word "Could" so that's why I did it as such.

I didn't post it to be a Tom V. type of agitator. I have legit concerns about our RB health and depth with the type of physical division we play in. Nothing more. Baltimore used 3 different RBs in 2008, Pittsburgh wanted to use 3 but Mendehall got hurt so they only used Parker (who was sidelined for part of the season) and Mewelde Moore.

My thinking was if we lose Davis - we lose our only healthy RB at this time.

As you can see, things are constantly changing so now we have an update to discuss. Peerman looks like a nice attempt to problem solve our age, health and depth to the RB position. If he doesn't prove to be right - they may bring in Riff's boy Sutton. - Tom F.

Fair enough Vegas. You did say he wouldn't get cut and you were right. I'll be honest, I wasn't totally sure either way - which was why I thought posting this would become an interesting discussion piece. I knew I better start the Subject Heading with the word "Could" so that's why I did it as such.

I didn't post it to be a Tom V. type of agitator. I have legit concerns about our RB health and depth with the type of physical division we play in. Nothing more. Baltimore used 3 different RBs in 2008, Pittsburgh wanted to use 3 but Mendehall got hurt so they only used Parker (who was sidelined for part of the season) and Mewelde Moore.

As you can see, things are constantly changing so now we have an update to discuss. Peerman looks like a nice attempt to problem solve our age, health and depth to the RB position. If he doesn't prove to be right - they may bring in Riff's boy Sutton. - Tom F.

Sutton went to Carolina, but I'm liking the Peerman pickup a lot.

You and I are on the same page in that we need a young starting RB. We needed it last season and we for sure need it this season. We'll see if Davis can make it happen. I am HOPING Mangini is not like RAC and just shuttle in JD for a 2-3 touch game where he tears it up and then sits. Harrison is still Harrison, so I think he can be the Leon W type guy. We'll see.

LOL! Okay, let's just pretend Jamal didn't REALLY have major reconstructive surgeries on his ankles that completely changed the way he runs because you found other RBs that didn't have good preseason numbers. He's running on tippy toes like Tinkerbell but let's change the subject to what other RBs are doing so when I respond - you can watch me get accused of getting offtopic.

Have you even WATCHED Lewis once yet? I'll talk regular season. His average went down from 4.4 yards a carry in 2007 to 3.6 in 2008. Math tells me that's dangerously close to a full yard per carry lost on average. HOMER vrs reality. I'll go with reality and you can go with being the HOMER who believes he's the better fan. Comeon Sez!

If you've read ANYTHING I've written this year - it's been all complimentary toward Mankok. I just think they inherited a nightmare at RB and I think their James Davis solution on draft day was fantastic. I piggybacked my excitement over the pick the very first time Shep posted a nice thread about Davis back in April or May.

There's NOTHING wrong with fans wanting more than 1 healthy RB on our active roster. Is there? If so, then I'm the terrible fan you accuse me of being.

- Tom F.

Yes I have watched him this year. NO I do not see the tippy toes stuff your talking about. Matter of fact I saw him break a few tackles. I did not see many holes for him to run through... He had nice burst on the screen plays and looked quick to me.. If the tippy toes you may be referring to.. what i saw on a couple plays was a veteran runningback being patient and waiting for a crease or a hole to open.... (that never did).. That is not the same as being hesitant.

The average in 2007 was high because we had a better team (10 wins).. 2008 the entire offensive line collapsed.. the whole team collapsed thus the decrease in production..You cannot blame Jamal for that mess.

This is exactly what happened to James Davis in college that made his draft stock fall from a low 2nd to 3rd round prospect 2 years ago.. To the late draft spot he got picked by us this year..His team collapsed around him... It was not his dropoff.. if your team sucks..it effects you.

As for the surgeries.. I don't know how he feels and neither do you. ... I do know ..no matter who runs the ball week one we are not getting crap against a good vikings defense. I still say I will go with Mangini's asessment..because neither you or I have seen enough of him this year to truly evaluate where he is... Mangini sees him daily.

Am I being optomistic.. yes... until I see him play in 2-3 games.. 30-60 carries.. I'm not sure what he has left. Could you be right? ..Yes... but not based upon what you saw in preseason.. i think that's a load.. (per my prior posting above.)

Archived