THE BROWNS BOARD

Watson Suspended for 11 Games and Fined $5 Million / and a bit OT and back.

mjp28

2 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Not unexpected...The NFL was busy yesterday putting the hammer down on the Dolphins...  Next in line... Deshaun... 

• Upvote 1

To be honest, my thought of why this wasn't going to happen is that Jerry Jones, Robert Kraft, and Dan Synder can (and should) come up in the lawsuits that will be coming when they increase the suspension I'm guessing, though, the legal calculus was done insomuch they determined they could skirt around airing the owners dirty laundry out while laying the hammer down on Watson. . Make no mistake, the NFL is going to say a year or maybe indefinite and I'm not sure any legs Watson or the NFLPA have to stand on. I'd be shocked if it was less strict.

Easy decision to go get Jimmy G in my opinion. This team can win now, and big, with that dude for a year. Give up a 5th and eat most of the salary (we have room as I understand). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Westside Steve said:

Hopefully the Texans are next. You know, spread the wealth. Haha

WSS

We'll find out soon what the NFL has in mind for appropriate punishment...  As I've been saying Steve, if the CBA contract language has a six game max suspension- it's going to be pretty hard for a Federal Judge to say that contract language doesn't matter.  

Yeah it's about to get real ugly.   Millionaires fighting Billionaires.  :(  

• Upvote 1

I wonder if the end result will be same number of games but some hefty fine like 10 million dollars. If this goes to court they risk DeShaun playing the whole season until it gets resolved. Add the fine, work with the NFLPA to set some standards for such incidents and move on. Whats the purpose of the independent judge if you can appeal and do whatever decision you want anyways.

3 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

To be honest, my thought of why this wasn't going to happen is that Jerry Jones, Robert Kraft, and Dan Synder can (and should) come up in the lawsuits that will be coming when they increase the suspension I'm guessing, though, the legal calculus was done insomuch they determined they could skirt around airing the owners dirty laundry out while laying the hammer down on Watson. . Make no mistake, the NFL is going to say a year or maybe indefinite and I'm not sure any legs Watson or the NFLPA have to stand on. I'd be shocked if it was less strict.

Easy decision to go get Jimmy G in my opinion. This team can win now, and big, with that dude for a year. Give up a 5th and eat most of the salary (we have room as I understand). 

I agree... with going after Jimmy G.... Hedge your bets that the NFL will be able to make a lengthy suspension stick.  As we've seen on the Federal level, the wheels of justice turn real slowly... Anyone want to hazard a guess that the NFL's appeal won't even get to court for at least a month?  

& a PS to runyon... Already said that in another thread...  The NFL has a better chance of making a hefty fine hold up than adding more games to the suspension. 

3 hours ago, hoorta said:

I'm going to pull a Zombo...  And start a thread where guys can discuss a former Browns player to your heart's content...

Will Baker follow a Drew Brees career path, of an Andy Dalton one, where he can win a playoff game or two if everything around him is perfect? Tia has pointed out with his screen shots, if Mayfield wants to be another Drew Brees, there's obvious flaws in his came he needs to correct. 

Beat A Dead Horse GIFs | Tenor

That was meant for jrb over a comment he made. If you saw it already then simply ignore it.

I don't know that jrb had. He doesn't appear to be a regular here.

32 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

Any lawyers out there?  It will probably start with an injunction being filed against the NFL to go pound salt.  I'll use a dirty word in this Forum "Political"...  What I've learned in my adventures in that sphere, the defense (in this case the NFLPA) can use a process called "discovery"... You can bet the ranch the player's association will drag up all the shit that the above owners (who are supposed to be held to a higher standard) got away with essentially scot free...  I have NO doubts the NFLPA's lawyers are already working overtime at producing a mountain of paperwork that will take a judge weeks to wade through.  

Wow. So the commissioner doesn't want to honor the CBA he signed off on. 

Media pressure, particularly from profootballtalk.com, drove this. I think it makes Goodell look weak as hell 

Our world just keeps on getting crazier, & it's not a good thing.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2022/08/nfl-appeals-deshaun-watson-suspension

He's getting more time. I just hope this drags the owners in the mud too. Let them all burn.

As I posted in Steve's thread... The NFLPA  is going to come out with guns blazing in Court.... You (the NFL) want to put the hammer down on Deshaun, but Bob Kraft is caught on camera visiting a prostitute, and crickets?  Suspend him for an equal number of games.  

I wonder if there is any chance that that the appeal holds with the original judgement. If so that would make the NFL look worse. At least before the appeal they could say look we hand independent federal judge review the information and while we don't agree with the decision we have to respect the process. It gives them an out. If their own person upholds it, it would be huge PR problem for them. It will be curious to see who gets assigned the review.

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

Just to make it more of a clusterfuck.

WSS

Steve, I'll give you my POV on this...  Based on what we know... Sure, Deshaun does deserve more games than what he got.  BUT.. The NFL can't just trot into court and say, well, because of these extreme violations of CBA Contract language, what we agreed to doesn't apply. The Browns play the Ravens October 23rd. I won't be surprised at all if the legal mudslinging is still going on then... It could last the rest of this year... And Watson could well be playing in every game, because the NFLPA could try for an injunction for the suspension to be delayed until the legal ranging is resolved. (Watson might not like that if it potentially carries over into next season when his big buck salary kicks in.) . 

The NFL (and their lawyers) had to know when they decided to go down this road that a protracted and ugly legal battle would ensue. 

• Upvote 1

The entire independent arbitrator process is a sham. It’s purpose is completely circumvented when Goodell owns the final decision on appeal. Why the NFLPA signed off on it is beyond me. Aside from the fact he’s an ahole the woke mob pressure and tar and feather outrage crew is making this far worse. In my opinion Sue Robinson left him and out when she didn’t impose a fine. He can impose a stuff fine with no further games and look like the “good guy”.  From a Browns management standpoint I think they grossly underestimated the woke mob impact when they signed him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

I agree... with going after Jimmy G.... Hedge your bets that the NFL will be able to make a lengthy suspension stick.  As we've seen on the Federal level, the wheels of justice turn real slowly... Anyone want to hazard a guess that the NFL's appeal won't even get to court for at least a month?  

& a PS to runyon... Already said that in another thread...  The NFL has a better chance of making a hefty fine hold up than adding more games to the suspension. 

Maybe not until next season.

My feeling is it isn't about the number of games Watson was suspended.  It is more about how much money he will lose during the suspension.  The NFL may not appeal for more games, they make see an additional fine.

The problem is the NFL suspends for games.  Games hurt teams and fans, not players.  Losing the check is what hurts players. You start fining players based on 1/17 of their salary, then you don't have to even fool with games.  As it stands Watson will lose around $58,000 per game suspended.  Even all 17 he is out $1,000,000.

At 6 games he is out around $350,000.  I can't say that is enough compared to what other players are losing by being suspended.  The NFL may not seek a longer suspension.  They may seek to have monetary damages assessed.

• Upvote 2

I don't see how an appeal doesn't make things worse for the NFL. Their options after appealing are, they win a long protracted fight with the NFLPA. Watson plays most of not the whole season and this business stays in the news all year long, potentially well into the playoffs. Next option is they appeal and just get monetary damages upped, which would probably repiss off the people they are trying to please. They could go to court and lose with Watson playing most of the year. Again a bad look to have the same end result and have this in the news all year long. They could appeal and have no change to the initial ruling which would be a PR nightmare for them. The only way they win is if they appeal, get more games and the NFLPA doesn't sue. And what are the chances of that....less than zero.

Well just BARF!!! I hope ESPN knows what they're talking about, I'm about to be ill... jcam had it right, I didn't...   https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34342566/nfl-appealing-deshaun-watson-six-game-suspension

"The league said NFL commissioner Roger Goodell will determine who will hear the appeal. Under the CBA, Goodell has the option to consider the appeal himself or can appoint a designee to do so."

Ergo, Good-hell can do whatever the f**k he wants to and the NFLPA can't do squat, other than file a complaint in Federal Court....  And in the process he can turn the whole arbitration procedure into one big f**king joke. 

PS & EDIT...  Yes Russ we can only hope any further damage to DW is a hefty fine... Ross of the Dolphins got hit for $1.5 million, I say hit Watson with about the same # (to be donated to an appropriate women's organization), and call it case closed.

They hire an experienced judge to handle the situation...who goes by the book...and GoToHell doesn't like anyone going by the book...so he's gonna step in and shoot from the hip.  IMO, the best outcome is they take the NFL to court and Roger loses badly in court.  No matter how long that has to take.  The league has to be held accountable for not following their own rules.

He’s playing Week 1 folks.  

For some of you it will be Your guy vs. our new guy 

And hear me out…the NFL wanted this.  They want Baker vs. Watson week 1 and they also tell all the “we want Justice” crowd they are backing them by appealing this decision.  So the next logical move is lawsuit and injunction and it plays out a bit and then magically we get a settlement just after the season.   

Ratings… Ratings….they are better when you have a stud talent playing and little bit of controversy 

and don’t think for one second some of these self righteous do good fools dont have skeletons in their closet-  maybe “force” gets applied randomly for them

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, hoorta said:

Well just BARF!!! I hope ESPN knows what they're talking about, I'm about to be ill... jcam had it right, I didn't...   https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34342566/nfl-appealing-deshaun-watson-six-game-suspension

"The league said NFL commissioner Roger Goodell will determine who will hear the appeal. Under the CBA, Goodell has the option to consider the appeal himself or can appoint a designee to do so."

Ergo, Good-hell can do whatever the f**k he wants to and the NFLPA can't do squat, other than file a complaint in Federal Court....  And in the process he can turn the whole arbitration procedure into one big f**king joke. 

PS & EDIT...  Yes Russ we can only hope any further damage to DW is a hefty fine... Ross of the Dolphins got hit for $1.5 million, I say hit Watson with about the same # (to be donated to an appropriate women's organization), and call it case closed.

That was confusing as hell to me. 

The commish has no authority to unilaterally issue suspension, but in the end he really does.

Robinson's ruling wasn't binding, though.

Under the terms of the new collective bargaining agreement, the NFL commissioner no longer has the authority to unilaterally issue suspensions for violations of the personal-conduct policy.

The commissioner does have a lot of latitude when the disciplinary officer deems a suspension to be worthy. In this case, the door remained open for the NFL to appeal and allow commissioner Roger Goodell to determine whether he will hear the appeal or appoint a designee to hear it. Goodell or his designee will then make a decision whether to uphold, extend or reduce the six-game suspension.

16 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I would absolutely love to see what some of your wives and daughters would think of what some of you have written about this subject. 

My wife co-signed my post.   

We were just discussing their strategy

Don’t let the media tell you what happened. 

Would you call a man or woman back that made you uncomfortable? 

• Upvote 1