THE BROWNS BOARD

Watson Suspended for 11 Games and Fined $5 Million / and a bit OT and back.

mjp28

7 hours ago, jcam222 said:

I feel like the "happy medium" is for the NFL to add a fine that the two sides can agree  to on top of the 6 games. This should please the majority of the folks who thought the penalty was not enough. We have to understand that a certain number of the folks are simply never going to be happy regardless of the severity of the penalty short of a lifetime ban and that's not happening. I honestly was surprised Sue Robinson offered no fine and truly wonder if that was back channel discussion with the league to give them a fine as an out. 

onkyo rarely posts but damn, he did one deep dive there wading through the bullshit.  In the light of that, (assuming it's accurate) the NFL's case is mighty weak. I'll expect it to get torn apart should it ever go to Federal Court. Besides the difficulty of finding "credible" witnesses, (which BTW the Texas Grand Jury found their credibility lacking)  I pointed out Watson TOLD these women what areas of his body he wanted massaged, yet they agreed to it beforehand. Also told them he was an NFL player with big $$$.   

I'll opine FWIW, if you're not under oath, you can make up any kind of shit you can dream up to get a big payday. Yeah, I've heard some of their sleaze stories... I'm beginning to wonder if Busbee coached them on what to say- to fatten their purses- and his wallet. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Absolutely ridiculous.

Literally the only pocket of people who are outraged that he's going to get a much longer suspension is Browns fans. 

Geez, I wonder why? 

The Browns deserve every bit of the never-ending shit circus they brought to town ON THEMSELVES. They are not victims, they sold their souls, and they'll deal with the consequences. 

Regarding your BOLD... The fans had absolutely no say in who the owner is, or had any part in the decision to bring Deshaun and his mountain of baggage into Cleveland... So just stop saying the FANS should suffer because Management decided the humongous risk of bad PR was worth the potential reward in the long run. You'd totally have to have your head up your ass if you somehow think had Watson signed with a different team, said team wouldn't have been equally reamed out in every media outlet you care to name. 

Nah, Dutch... It is what it is... As a season ticket holder should DW get hit with a season ban, it probably won't affect how I'm viewing this season, I'll hope for the best, and a lot of luck. 

Sure, the majority of opinion outside of the Cleveland market says a longer suspension is warranted, but it's hardly a unanimous POV. The NFL fans of either gender outside of Cleveland are just superficially looking at the numbers, 60+, um 24, um now one?  Get out the rope and hang the guy. Onkyo pointed out the NFL only found a handful of offended parties (was it 4 or something like that)?  when they brought their case to the arbitrator. I said it elsewhere- you can spew any kind of fairy tale crap - within in reason-any political figures come to mind- you listening Alex Jones?- in the media you want to- (the sleazier the better) but say the same stuff under oath with perjury hanging over your head? Different story.  The Texas Grand Juries- with Watson not being able to defend himself against the accusations (in two different counties) said there was nothing criminal going on. 

Yeah Dutch- Watson is a sleaze, and not very smart either in regards to getting sexual jollies. But it looks like the Court of Public Opinion has already tried him and found him guilty. Legally... Not so much.  Stay tuned.   

Roger Goodell appoints Peter C. Harvey to hear NFL appeal of Deshaun Watson’s 6-game suspension

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-commissioner-roger-goodell-designates-former-n-j-attorney-general-peter-c-ha

"Mr. Harvey served as the Attorney General of New Jersey and is now a partner at the Paterson Belknap firm in New York," the league said Thursday in a statement. "He has also served as a federal prosecutor. He has deep expertise in criminal law, including domestic violence and sexual assault, and has advised the NFL and other professional leagues on the development and implementation of workplace policies, including the NFL's Personal Conduct Policy. Mr. Harvey has also served as the Commissioner's designee in other arbitrations."

Harvey served as the New Jersey attorney general from 2003-2006.

NFL was warned about Deshaun Watson's suspension length in June, giving league month to consider taking control of outcome

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-was-warned-about-deshaun-watsons-suspension-length-in-june-giving-league-month-to-consider-taking-control-of-outcome-030239593.html

Arbitrator's early signal shaped Watson-NFL settlement talks

Robinson putting the NFL on notice during the hearings brings some clarity to what followed in the Watson case in July. It explains why media leaks began almost instantly that Watson would get a lesser punishment than the league was pushing for. It also explains why Watson’s camp and the union were emboldened to take a hard line in settlement talks, which ultimately ended with the NFL suggesting a 12-game suspension and a fine that would have accounted for a significant portion of the $10.5 million Watson earned with the Houston Texans in 2021. To some engaged in the talks, it felt like the NFL was trying to turn Watson’s final season with the Texans (in which he never took the field) into a retroactive suspension. It was something the NFL could later point to and say, “Look, he lost most of what he made in 2021 and never took the field. So he was basically suspended. Now he’s suspended another 12 games on top of that.”...

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, nickers said:

I wouldn't play Watson game 1... My strategy would be to sit out the 6 games... I'd rather have Watson available in the latter half of the season.. Assuming we make the playoffs...

Browns plan to play Deshaun Watson in preseason, but he won’t play the first six weeks of regular season

Posted by Mike Florio on August 4, 2022, 7:47 PM EDT

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

You should’ve brought out the French! 😉

Hmmm. I better ask Nero how the Spanish feel about the French before I give that a try. Ironically I was once stopped in Paris by a couple looking for the location of a hostel I had just seen down another street. I guess because of my Texas suntan and dark brown hair they asked me in Spanish. Funny to be mistaken for a Spaniard in the middle of Paris.😁 But they were happy I could tell them where it was.🤗

11 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Absolutely ridiculous.

Literally the only pocket of people who are outraged that he's going to get a much longer suspension is Browns fans. 

Geez, I wonder why? 

The Browns deserve every bit of the never-ending shit circus they brought to town ON THEMSELVES. They are not victims, they sold their souls, and they'll deal with the consequences. 

The appeal leading to a longer suspension is your assumption, and a questionable one at best. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Absolutely ridiculous.

Geez, I wonder why? 

I agree with you Dutchman. And let's keep it honest: how loudly would we all be laughing if it were the Pittsburgh Steelers that made this exact same deal and were sitting in the same spot we are in right now?

WSS

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

Regarding your BOLD... The fans had absolutely no say in who the owner is, or had any part in the decision to bring Deshaun and his mountain of baggage into Cleveland..

Read it again. That was never said or even implied.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

I agree with you Dutchman. And let's keep it honest: how loudly would we all be laughing if it were the Pittsburgh Steelers that made this exact same deal and were sitting in the same spot we are in right now?

WSS

Yeah, that's what the Steelers get for trying to replace one pervert with another.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

WSS

Steelers Ravens Browns Bengals Pats whomever whatever.  

The Most alarming or should be at least for every NFL player is how loosely the NFL defines key elements of its conduct policy and caves to public opinion. This was what I took from the NFLs investigation.  

That and 4 of the 66 women gathered up in this - he crossed the lines during a massage but apparently not a forceful way as the NFL described and this is very consistent with the grand jury findings and the settlement numbers with the civil suits.

Again I’m trying to wrap my head around and get into the brain space of this year plus suspension crowd. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

The Most alarming or should be at least for every NFL player is how loosely the NFL defines key elements of its conduct policy and caves to public opinion. This was what I took from the NFLs investigation.  

That and 4 of the 66 women gathered up in this - he crossed the lines during a massage but apparently not a forceful way as the NFL described and this is very consistent with the grand jury findings and the settlement numbers with the civil suits.

Again I’m trying to wrap my head around and get into the brain space of this year plus suspension crowd. 

I assume none of the cases were strong enough just he said she said and I don't doubt some of them are just money grabs, but there's enough of a predatory pattern as was stated in the report. So probably not much need to bog the courts down with all 24 cases. Plus those women decided that even if they were offended or abused that the pay was enough to make it easy to live with. I get that too. Plenty of disturbing language in the report. And... Pittsburgh Steeler equals cheap shot. Cleveland Browns equals good clean hit.

WSS

On 8/3/2022 at 11:09 PM, jcam222 said:

My sister in law is a professional masseuse. She thinks this is all a sham. As she relayed to me any true professional would never have had a second appointment if they were so horrified by the first one. If someone asked  her about a happy ending or rubbing his groin she’ would ask them to leave and never make another appointment. Every other legit pro would too. 

Not to be rude but did she tell you exactly what the up charge would be for the happy ending?

WSS

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Maybe you're not from Cleveland. Steve chose the Steelers for a reason.

If I have to explain you wouldn't understand.

Eh maybe you would.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Hmmm. I better ask Nero how the Spanish feel about the French before I give that a try. Ironically I was once stopped in Paris by a couple looking for the location of a hostel I had just seen down another street. I guess because of my Texas suntan and dark brown hair they asked me in Spanish. Funny to be mistaken for a Spaniard in the middle of Paris.😁 But they were happy I could tell them where it was.🤗

Well I've been to Europe... One thing I can tell you about the French and Spanish... They are obnoxious loud mouths... I was on a cruise  And they were loud and boisterous...

3 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

I pretty much agree with Mr. Pluto. I've said the same. The optics are terrible.  Right out of the gate, the NFL throws their agreed upon arbitrator under the bus because they don't like her decision. 

I'll wait until after the appeal is finalized, but if it turns out Watson is suspended for a year (as the NFL has wanted all along) why bother going through the  charade of even having an independent arbitrator?

Yep, the wimp NFL caves in to public pressure, and if they don't meet the NFLPA 1\2 way on increased sanctions, the court battles are going to be long and ugly. 

I hope 8 games, a $5 million fine (going to a battered women's group), and counseling would placate the pitchforks crowd, but I doubt it. Nothing short of a lifetime ban will be enough for some of those folks. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nickers said:

Well I've been to Europe... One thing I can tell you about the French and Spanish... They are obnoxious loud mouths... I was on a cruise  And they were loud and boisterous...

I would imagine a cruise brings out the worst in a lot of people 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, FY56 said:

Maybe you're not from Cleveland. Steve chose the Steelers for a reason.

If I have to explain you wouldn't understand.

Eh maybe you would.

I spent 18 years just outside of Cleveland.  I hate Pittsburgh.  I make sure to throw browns stuff on Franco Harris statute at the Pittsburgh Airport. 

I know why he picked Pittsburgh.

i mentioned those teams because it appears moving forward anyone or any team Should be concerned with the policy and it’s application. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

I assume none of the cases were strong enough just he said she said and I don't doubt some of them are just money grabs, but there's enough of a predatory pattern as was stated in the report. So probably not much need to bog the courts down with all 24 cases. Plus those women decided that even if they were offended or abused that the pay was enough to make it easy to live with. I get that too. Plenty of disturbing language in the report. And... Pittsburgh Steeler equals cheap shot. Cleveland Browns equals good clean hit.

WSS

Or presented exculpatory evidence that we aren’t told about or accuser texts messages to Deshaun that were leaked

Things are rarely as black and white as the Media and now society tries to make it out as 

1 hour ago, nickers said:

One thing I can tell you about the French and Spanish... They are obnoxious loud mouths... 

I'll bet you they're saying that American called Nickers is way too quiet.  He has that dangerous church mouse silence people should be worried about...  

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Or presented exculpatory evidence that we aren’t told about or accuser texts messages to Deshaun that were leaked

Things are rarely as black and white as the Media and now society tries to make it out as 

Exactly true. If there was a magic truth serum and if I was a betting man I'd say that there were a few gold diggers and a few that were actually treated badly. Also I don't really think every woman deserves financial compensation for being offended but that's kind of the standard these days.

And back to the Garoppolo deal I think that a full season and a chance to play it out would actually be better for the Browns than 12 games with Brissette.

WSS

42 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

And back to the Garoppolo deal I think that a full season and a chance to play it out would actually be better for the Browns than 12 games with Brissette.

WSS

Only problem there Steve IMHO- it's already too late to bring in Jimmy G.  We're going to be stuck with career backup in Jacoby however long Watson is suspended for. 

I've reached to point I just don't give a s**t anymore... Let's play football with the guys who are available. The Watson Soap Opera will be over eventually.  

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

Only problem there Steve IMHO- it's already too late to bring in Jimmy G.  We're going to be stuck with career backup in Jacoby however long Watson is suspended for. 

I've reached to point I just don't give a s**t anymore... Let's play football with the guys who are available. The Watson Soap Opera will be over eventually.  

Well it's not really too late we've got a couple of easier games to start the season and Garoppolo could work himself in. Jacoby isn't complete garbage.

WSS

On 8/4/2022 at 1:05 PM, hoorta said:

Don't try and tell me that the NFL doesn't bend over backwards trying to engage women who might be vaguely interested in football.

Absolutely.  The more women they can bring on board the more the fanbase increases...and the more heavily the husbands can be involved in fandom.  They have to appease the women.  

As far as  'Because I'm a Browns Fan I'm not calling for Watson's head'  Not Ture (but not totally untrue either).  The Not Untrue part is that yes, I have a vested interest (fandom) in seeing my team attain the goal of fielding it's best players in order to try and win us a super bowl.  

And Yes, if he was a Steeler, Raven or Bengal I'd be pulling for GoToHell to suspend him for life if possible.  But that would be because it would weaken our division rival.

The NOT True part is that I think he should be suspended for a lengthy period of time for asking for a happy ending (especially since he's unmarried - if he were married I'd feel differently about him requesting it).  He claims that he didn't do or say anything disrespectful.  And quite frankly I think it's something that A LOT of guys ask for and nothing ever comes of it.  But of course, Watson is rich and famous.

Having said that, if he WAS an ahole about it with the women, the he deserves sanctions!   

If he were on a team outside the AFC North, I wouldn't even pay any special attention to it.  

9 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

WSS

Of course we would. 

Here's literally how the news of Watson signing with the Browns went down for me... I left work early that Friday, March 18th, just after 4 (usually leave at 4:30) because I was heading to my friend's house in Oil City, Pennsylvania. Solidly Steeler Country.

I get in my car, which is turned to 92.3, and the news has just dropped that Watson has signed with the Browns. I listen to the station as long as I can, until I lose the signal east of Youngstown. A hour or so later I arrive at my buddy's house in Oil City, where there was a party going on already. I walk up to the back porch, where many people were congregated, and said "Alright, who are Steelers fans here? Well, I'm a Browns fan, so we just signed Watson, so here's your time for payback for us breakin' your balls for years about Rapistburger. Let me have it!"