THE BROWNS BOARD

It is worth it?

Pat Mahomo

I'm not from Cleveland, and I'm not a Browns fan.  I'm glad I don't have to ask myself this question because I am not sure I know the answer.

But.....Is this all worth it?  

It's probably better asked as a three part question because the whole point of aquiring Watson is to pursue a Lombardi so then -----

Is it worth if the Browns don't win a Lombardi?

Is it worth it ONLY if the Browns win a Lombardi?

Is it NOT worth it even if they DO win a Lombardi?

6 minutes ago, Pat Mahomo said:

I'm not from Cleveland, and I'm not a Browns fan.  I'm glad I don't have to ask myself this question because I am not sure I know the answer.

It's probably better asked as a three part question because the whole point of aquiring Watson is to pursue a Lombardi so then -----

Ask me again in a few years...  What the Browns Front office and coaching staff determined was that Baker wasn't good enough to win a Super Bowl. They pushed all their chips in on Watson... and the guy has more baggage than a full luggage carousel at O Hare... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

People will always forgive winners.  But we don't know if we have a team of winners yet. Just like H said, only time will tell. 

Good news is that the turmoil will be just an echo till week 10 or 11. We know the suspension, let's play some football. 

• Upvote 1

"Is it NOT worth it even if they DO win a Lombardi? "

I guess it depends on who you ask... I'm not a fan of the way they did things... I'm not encouraged by much as of late... I believe this move will culminate to be an utter and total failure... I also believe Berry Dingle, Depudpuller and Shitpantski will be looking for employment in the next year or two...

4 hours ago, nickers said:

I guess it depends on who you ask... 

I also believe Berry Dingle, Depudpuller and Shitpantski will be looking for employment in the next year or two...

images.jpg.dd6955fef0b98b555304b891496a21f7.jpg

He's not hard to find :)

edit--honestly, I'm blessed to live day to day...with that, I can only hope D.Watson's treatment get's him mentally back to the stud I saw at Clemson 🙏#babysteps

First and foremost my opinion is that a healthy Baker Mayfield could take the team all the way. The team has not been firing on all eight or 12 cylinders depending on what size engine you assign them. Whether or not they are now remains to be seen.

I'll stick to your question:

With no Super Bowl victory it is absolutely not worth the stink that it's brought on the Cleveland Browns or the city. And even with a Super Bowl victory the stink remains.

WSS

• Upvote 3

We Browns fans have endured so much pain with losing , stupid draft picks, stupid front offices, etc that honestly I'm numb to this Watson thing.

I surely wouldn't have done it. I liked Baker & would have rather let him play out his contract. Saying that, I still believe in Andrew Berry. If Berry's on board with it, I'm good 

I have no crazy expectations from Watson this year. He's going to be rusty come week 12, might even look awful (hope not).

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan1 said:

If we win the SB it is most definitely worth it.  They will hold a parade in Cleveland that will dwarf the parade they gave the Cavaliers.  And Deshon will lead the parade of 66 Cleveland verified hookers at the front.

FIFY😍

6 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan1 said:

If we win the SB it is most definitely worth it.  They will hold a parade in Cleveland that will dwarf the parade they gave the Cavaliers.  And Deshon will lead the parade.

Not only that, but I imagine there will be a lot of teary eyes. Especially from a lot of the old timers who waited so long.  I hope soon we will be able to say that Gipper left us too early.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Bob806 said:

We Browns fans have endured so much pain with losing , stupid draft picks, stupid front offices, etc that honestly I'm numb to this Watson thing.

I surely wouldn't have done it. I liked Baker & would have rather let him play out his contract. Saying that, I still believe in Andrew Berry. If Berry's on board with it, I'm good 

I have no crazy expectations from Watson this year. He's going to be rusty come week 12, might even look awful (hope not).

I'm just concerned that this stench like a bad BO  might linger for a long time. despite  all of this Lombardi talk.  And the Cleveland BROWNS are stuck with this guy, you can't trade him (no takers) and he's paid years in advance. 

And yes the past few months seems like years.   You want to wake up and it's not there....but it is.  Maybe a SB three-peat might help, maybe. 

Oh well....    GO BROWNS,  we're still fans.

• Upvote 3

On 8/21/2022 at 12:23 AM, Pat Mahomo said:

Winning makes everyone forget....and Americans are notorious for their short term memories😉

Yes, no, hell no. You don't just acquire a Lombardi. If you could, I suspect the Saudi national oil company would own quite a few.

The trade is about maximizing the chance to win one in the foreseeable future. We have a pretty loaded squad, with Pro bowlers in their prime. You need an elite QB to maximize that potential. Miss this window, and you have to wait a decade or more for the next chance. It's as simple as that. 

^ No

As for homo's question, it's too soon to say for certain, but my gut feel is the answer is going to be no. I say no not strictly because of the slime that surrounds Watson, but because of the guaranteed money that he has stuffed in his pockets.

Human nature is fairly consistent and I'll give you 53 men all on guaranteed contracts, and I'll take 53 all on the last year of their contracts and one of us is going to fight like hell until the final whistle blows, and the other is going to make a lot of business decisions throughout the game.

There is no longer a carrot dangling in front of Deshaun, and I don't believe he is special enough to overcome it.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, D Bone said:

There is no longer a carrot dangling in front of Deshaun, and I don't believe he is special enough to overcome it.  

Good point D.

Throw in his diva attitude along with the lack of incentive(s) and I’m curious as to how he’s going to perform.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Definitely not worth it...superbowl or not. I could have dealt with going after Russel Wilson, Garrapalo, or anyone else. Watson is a big mistake. He hasn't played in 2 years, and I. personally would have never considered him an elite qb. If I'm wrong and the Browns go on to win the next 3 superbowls, I'll admit I was wrong. But....even that won't reverse the negativity caused by this fiasco. Red right 88...the drive....the fumble...and now....the trade. 

• Upvote 3

On 8/21/2022 at 7:39 AM, Westside Steve said:

First and foremost my opinion is that a healthy Baker Mayfield could take the team all the way. The team has not been firing on all eight or 12 cylinders depending on what size engine you assign them. Whether or not they are now remains to be seen.

I'll stick to your question:

With no Super Bowl victory it is absolutely not worth the stink that it's brought on the Cleveland Browns or the city. And even with a Super Bowl victory the stink remains.

WSS

Exactly...

7 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Anybody else read this title and immediately think of a Missy Elliot chorus? 

Yes! that's her.. thanks  LoL 

I'm no grammar god 😇 but, Is it worth it?.. Works for me 

• Haha 1

You dont make this move unless you think it will get you a Lombardi so that is the measure. If Watson didn't have the baggage then I don't think most people would even second guess it. So Watson better live up to expectations.

47 minutes ago, runyon27 said:

You dont make this move unless you think it will get you a Lombardi so that is the measure. If Watson didn't have the baggage then I don't think most people would even second guess it. So Watson better live up to expectations.

It would have been very interesting how the overall reaction would have been on this board if there was no sexual assault angle to this story.

How would people have reacted if the trade had been strictly "Watson - unhappy with Texans - finally has a new home, in Cleveland"? 

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

It would have been very interesting how the overall reaction would have been on this board if there was no sexual assault angle to this story.

How would people have reacted if the trade had been strictly "Watson - unhappy with Texans - finally has a new home, in Cleveland"? 

I thought the deal was too one-sided before we even found out the extent of a sexual predator side of the story.

But at least would have been a slightly better story than it is. You know the drill; if the cat had not stopped to shit it would have caught the mouse.

(By the way this is just about the last place in the league he wanted to go but he held his nose and took the money, not like he was speaking highly of Cleveland before so.)

WSS 

7 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

I thought the deal was too one-sided before we even found out the extent of a sexual predator side of the story.

But at least would have been a slightly better story than it is. You know the drill; if the cat had not stopped to shit it would have caught the mouse.

(By the way this is just about the last place in the league he wanted to go but he held his nose and took the money, not like he was speaking highly of Cleveland before so.)

WSS 

As many people who we have paid up front to come here and then been pure shit as players, you think we would have learned something. That is what made me skeptical of the deal before any of the rest of this got out. What is doubling my doubts is that it will be damn near two years since he started for an NFL team. However, counterbalancing that is the fact he is still very young in a position where players play effectively for a number of years. Let's just hope the ones around him who can build a winner are also here long enough for the plan to "mature" for the Browns.

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

As many people who we have paid up front to come here and then been pure shit as players, you think we would have learned something. That is what made me skeptical of the deal before any of the rest of this got out. What is doubling my doubts is that it will be damn near two years since he started for an NFL team. However, counterbalancing that is the fact he is still very young in a position where players play effectively for a number of years. Let's just hope the ones around him who can build a winner are also here long enough for the plan to "mature" for the Browns.

No doubt. Still that's one reason people bet on football games. If I were a Watson supporter I might say that's good because it's 2 years since he's taking a beating on the field and should be fresh and strong and ready to play for many more years. (One of the potential upssides of Weeden) As for that window of opportunity that's what the pundits were saying last year and the year before that. Mice men or Cleveland Browns the best laid plans gang aft agley. 

How long can Andrew Berry keep the 69 Impala running without picks or money to pay for new parts? On the other hand lightning might strike with Jacoby or Dobbs.  The mirage of pre season...

I have to guess that the biggest red flag is Jimmy Haslam and his decision making track record.

WSS 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

WSS 

The bold is also the big picture here no one wants to talk about. Let's be real, if the situation Dutch described happened there's exactly a 0% he comes to Cleveland. Despite having 25 women accuse the dude of sexual violence we still had to pay the dude the most aggressive contract in NFL history. Once people forget about this, what's to say in 4 years he doesn't do it again? Especially if the train derails and we end up in a bad season or two, there's no reason to think the scumbag wouldn't do it again.

Nothing will ever make this all worth it. I get it-my dad just turned 64 years old and has been a Browns fan his whole life. Outside a small stretch in the 80's this team has been essentially the most irrelevant team in the NFL his entire adult life. For you older folks, I get it-I mean my avatar even suggests it and I'm only in my mid-30s. But there's gotta be a point where we realize this is just a game for enjoyment.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

How long can Andrew Berry keep the 69 Impala running without picks or money to pay for new parts? On the other hand lightning might strike with Jacoby or Dobbs.  The mirage of pre season...

WSS 

I call that winning the August Championship. When it doesn't work out at the end, just wait 'till next August and the trophy is ours again.🏆🤗

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I call that winning the August Championship. When it doesn't work out at the end, just wait 'till next August and the trophy is ours again.🏆🤗

Yes, I remember the Preseason Championship 🏈🏆 when we went 4-0 under the nefarious Hue Jackson.

Little did we know at the time, those would be the only games we would win all season.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2