THE BROWNS BOARD

Fan Status Check

Westside Steve

So everybody decided to derail Zombos this week in the NFL thread so he closed it. Rather than beleaguer him further (my bad) here's a thread for those of you guys who are:

A. No longer fans and will root for the opponent 

B. Still fans but hate Watson/love Baker

C. Still fans and don't care about Watson or love him

D. Something else 

Have at it.

WSS

100% All in on the Browns before the trade, 100% All in on the Browns after the trade.

I wish Baker success when he is not playing us.

I don't have a high opinion of Watson as a person, but he's just one guy, I root for the entire roster, the entire coaching staff, the city, the fans and everything Cleveland Browns ... The Great Love of my Life

Z

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 7

I hate everyone equally...  You don't have to thank me...

Here's the bottom line... "WIN" And stop all of the unnecessary chicanery!!....  Bakers gone.. Time to move to the next adventure...

• Upvote 4

D. Something else.

Love the Browns, hate twatson, and any browns fan to wants to be his masseuse, referring to one "Browns fan"

who is an alcoholic with the initials "ATB", especially. Also known as "WBL".....

Cheering and LOL'd in amazement at that FG !

Respect Baker, wanted him to have a great game.

DO NOT support the slimey haslams, do support the coaching staff, but critical

of Stefanski. Want Brissett to have a good game.

2 hours ago, nickers said:

I hate everyone equally...  You don't have to thank me...

Here's the bottom line... "WIN" And stop all of the unnecessary chicanery!!....  Bakers gone.. Time to move to the next adventure...

And it may be BRM is gone and maybe in a nick of time.  I have a feeling that his NFL potential may have peaked.....we'll see  on that one.  And we'll see  if the new guy in town can pick up and go with his quarterbacking  skills.

Quarterbacking  now that is a neat word.    GO BROWNS, baby.   Looking at 2-0,  I could dig that. 

8 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

So everybody decided to derail Zombos this week in the NFL thread so he closed it. Rather than beleaguer him further (my bad) here's a thread for those of you guys who are:

A. No longer fans and will root for the opponent 

B. Still fans but hate Watson/love Baker

C. Still fans and don't care about Watson or love him

D. Something else 

Have at it.

WSS

Baker is gone, moving on...   The game reports showed what we've seen from Baker.. He was not only erratic within the game, but you don't know what you're going to get out of the guy week to week. Until proven otherwise, I defer to Tia's assessment that Baker has his flaws, remains to be seen if he can correct them.  

Watson is a a sleaze, but he's going to be the Browns quarterback for the foreseeable future. I believe in giving the guy a second chance to rehabilitate his image.  Granted, there were some out there who wanted him banned for life. 

Personally, I wanted an eight game suspension, and that $5 million fine. Even considering what Watson is making, $5 million isn't exactly pocket change. 

I guess I mostly identify with C.  I don't love Watson.  I haven't followed him before recently.  I don't like the mess he comes with but I don't know how much I don't like him.  I've gotta see him play and how he conducts himself as a Brown.  I guess I need more data.

I’m here.

E. Tired over all of the whining and puzzled by masses that were spoon fed an agenda driven version of the facts. Equally tired by the how could anyone with a significant other and/or girls support this team anymore. 

And Baker who?

But I’m also here.  Roll with Jacoby but the offense is Chubb and Hunt (45 times each game at least) and run behind the bully of an offensive line we have. Joe Woods and defense seems to be shaping up too…there’s more promise and hope than people believe

MOVE FORWARD

• Like 1

D.  I'm always something else  -but-  make no mistake  I will always follow and love the Cleveland BROWNS  I hope no matter who's behind the center they keep winning. 

I think that the Watson fiasco was just that a disgusting fiasco.  I think BRM was nearing the end his best NFL quarterback useful life......we'll see on that.

This might be another interesting  BROWNS  season and.....

GO BROWNS,  just win......baby !        :D

• Thanks 1

I've enjoyed reading those weekly threads since 1999. 

When I enjoy listening to some of the great music by "The Doors" - I don't slam the brakes on it with "wait a minute - the face of that band was an out of control mess/brat in public at times."  As an old story goes, when he made inappropriate sexual advances at Janice Joplin - she hit him over the head with a bottle of Southern Comfort. 

My start with the Browns didn't matter who the owner was or how many players we could confuse as alter boys. Everybody in the media wanted to paint Joe Turkey Jones as THE dirty player in the rivalry vrs Pittsburgh. Ironically, that was the 1st home game in Cleveland that my dad drove me and my brother to.  As fate would have it, the reason why David Mays was playing QB in our victory over the Steelers that day - was because of Jack Lambert's late hit on Brian Sipe way out of bounds.   Karma, being the beyotch it is supposed to be, had Joe "Turkey" Jones responding to Lambert's dirty precedent with sack of Bradshaw in-bounds (I might add).  After that game, my dad drove us from Western NY to a home game in Cleveland once a year.  It was only a 4 hour drive.  Back then, he had antennas on the house that enabled us to see a lot of games (before there was satellite TV).  We saw 1 game with a feed out of Ottawa Canada that was commentated in French believe it or not.

My dad was such a huge Cleveland Browns fan, if they had Cleveland Browns baby diapers I would have been in them.  If they have them when I go senile in a few years - I'll probably be in them.  What attracted me most to them as a little feller was a tie between the Orange colored helmets and Leroy Kelly and the awesome tradition of the running game in Cleveland go back as far as Marion Motley.  Shortly thereafter, my favorite player became the guy you see as my avatar - Greg Pruitt.  The most impressive thing about this franchise is that the 1st 10 years it existed in Pro Football (6 of them in the NFL) - the Cleveland Browns made it to the Championship Title Game every single year.  They won 6 of those (and 3 of them were in the NFL).  Saying all of that, Otto Graham was our QB for all of them.  And yes, no other pro football QB in the history of the game has ever led their team to 10 straight Championship Title Games and won 6 of them.  Before that, Otto Graham played Pro Basketball for the Rochester Royals in 1945-46. The next time the Browns won an NFL Championship Title Game in 1964, Frank Ryan was the QB and Jim Brown was the best ball carrier the game has ever seen.  While I'm reluctant to call a guy that never threw a block a Fullback - wasn't the tradeoff of him never missing a game and his highly decorated career well worth it?  You bet it was!

The sum of all that perpetuated unconditional love for the Cleveland Browns in my immediate family.  While I don't like losing players I have rooted for - I also understand it creates opportunities for younger players to step up.  For example, when Leroy Kelly was done - Greg Pruitt was starting.  Today we have Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt doing our running game tradition proud with huge kudos to the Offensive Line...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Great stuff flugs !  A true orange and brown 100%  Cleveland BROWNS'  fan no doubt about it.

I especially like your road trips as a kid we never made a BROWNS road trip but made a few 65 mile Cleveland INDIANS  road trips every year, especially my dad's favorite the Sunday doubleheader games.  We also made a few really cool railroad trips with the Cub or Boy Scouts from Niles, Ohio to near the stadium and various routes including a lot  of walking up to the enormous Ol' Muni  stadium.   Absolutely a behemoth when you were a kid, even a grown up kid....the highlight (among others)  of the rail trips was the tiny little dixie cups to drink bottled water from or the big one was flushing the railcar toilets and seeing the tracks below.   :lol:  

I started collecting programs way back then cheap and plentiful laying on seats basically unused.   We keep score in ours.

I will never forget that and I'm almost 72 now......Indelible memories, so important to kids never forget that you dad's out there. You can pack a lunch if necessary but try to make at least one special game a season, and bleachers or whatever seats are fine.

GO CLEVELAND BROWNS and INDIANS,  forever.......naturally. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Great stuff flugs !  A true orange and brown 100%  Cleveland BROWNS'  fan no doubt about it.

I especially like your road trips as a kid we never made a BROWNS road trip but made a few 65 mile Cleveland INDIANS  road trips every year, especially my dad's favorite the Sunday doubleheader games.  We also made a few really cool railroad trips with the Cub or Boy Scouts from Niles, Ohio to near the stadium and various routes including a lot  of walking up to the enormous Ol' Muni  stadium.   Absolutely a behemoth when you were a kid, even a grown up kid....the highlight (among others)  of the rail trips was the tiny little dixie cups to drink bottled water from or the big one was flushing the railcar toilets and seeing the tracks below.   :lol:  

I started collecting programs way back then cheap and plentiful laying on seats basically unused.   We keep score in ours.

I will never forget that and I'm almost 72 now......Indelible memories, so important to kids never forget that you dad's out there. You can pack a lunch if necessary but try to make at least one special game a season, and bleachers or whatever seats are fine.

my son and I are going to the oregon state game today and it's in portland for a one off as their stadium are finishing renovations and ya we make it to at least one game a year

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Thanks MJ!  I LOVED that old stadium when I was a kid.  It sounds like you guys had fun going to it for the baseball double header games with your dad on Sundays as well.  The railroad trips sound fun too.

I actually have a picture of that old stadium in my man cave.

13 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Thanks MJ!  I LOVED that old stadium when I was a kid.  It sounds like you guys had fun going to it for the baseball double header games with your dad on Sundays as well.  The railroad trips sound fun too.

I actually have a picture of that old stadium in my man cave.

I've got a brick from the Stadium when they tore it down. 

I honestly really miss Cleveland Stadium for Browns games. 

Not so much for baseball, even though I wish I could have seen one really good Indians team there. Would have been cool seeing big crowds there regularily during a pennant race. 

13 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Not so much for baseball, even though I wish I could have seen one really good Indians team there. Would have been cool seeing big crowds there regularily during a pennant race. 

Me too!  I also miss how blue collar TOUGH that fanbase used to be.  If anyone so much as saw a cell phone in the crowd - that thing was gonna get thrown into Lake Erie. 

It might just be me, but our fanbase back then didn't seem like they wanted the HC or the QB or 1 of the Coordinators fired every other day.  The Browns have been firing the QB, HC and Coordinators for years and what's changed?  Nothing,  Everybody is well trained to think if we just get rid of the current QB 1st on the depth chart or the DC - it's flawless football to immediately follow.  We go 1 game this year that the Browns won with a backup QB; and look how many fans were pissed he didn't play like Joe Montana in week 1.  This won't ever be like the Dawg Pound again with that kind of thin skin.  We as a fan base have to understand that after the first 32 QBs are named starters - the next 32 are backups.  It is what it is. When David Mays filled in and helped Cleveland beat Pittsburgh - he wasn't looking anything like Len Dawson beating Minnesota in a previous SB.  Brian Sipe didn't look anything like a starter in his first 4 years or so. I think he was drafted in 72; but after he got enough reps and comfort with the WR Corps and TE - he was the only NFL MVP (1980) this franchise has had in the last 50 years or so.

So while we are going down Memory Lane, I just stumbled upon this pic of a much younger Dutch from his first season of Ravenna Rams Pee-Wee football, I'm guessing 1984ish? The next season was the last with the Browns color scheme, they'd go to the traditional colors of Ravenna HIgh School (royal blue, white and red) after that. 

We completed two passes that season, I caught one of them, for 9 yards. I can still remember catching the ball, the weather was cold and dreary, and the ball felt like a brick. 

sean rams.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Well I had a chunk of turf I dug up from the 50 yard line from the Final Play that I managed to keep alive for many years... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, mjp28 said:

LOL you mean the Gindians, er... the Indagards?   Actually, stayed up to watch the end of that 15 inning special early this morning.  :) 

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

So while we are going down Memory Lane, I just stumbled upon this pic of a much younger Dutch from his first season of Ravenna Rams Pee-Wee football, I'm guessing 1984ish? The next season was the last with the Browns color scheme, they'd go to the traditional colors of Ravenna HIgh School (royal blue, white and red) after that. 

We completed two passes that season, I caught one of them, for 9 yards. I can still remember catching the ball, the weather was cold and dreary, and the ball felt like a brick. 

sean rams.jpg

Great choice of # Dutch.  Can you still catch?  Stefanski might need you this year...

I’m probably C

I feel like I understand why most people have their opinions and have taken their on Watson and the Browns.

I understand why the FO went the extra mile to bring him to Cleveland. 

I get the Baker bros who will miss Mayfield. I wish him well too and I’ll always be a fan of his. 

I understand the discomfort/anger toward management and Watson. There are people who are embarrassed by all of this and disgusted by Watson’s actions and who are sitting out as a result. 

And for those who are excited to finally have QB in Cleveland who can drive wins and put the Browns “in the Super Bowl conversation”? Fuck, I get it.

This whole thing has really divided the fan base and there seems to be a lot of vitriol being spewed at each other as a result. But I don’t begrudge a side here. All are justified. 

I don’t like Watson. I don’t like that he can’t seem to realize that his actions have hurt some of these women. I hope one day we hear some accountability from him on a public stage. But if Watson comes in and is the quarterback we all know he can be and the Browns finally feel like true contenders? Well, I’ll be the first hypocrite on the top of Hypocrite Mountain, waving that pervert’s flag.

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

Great choice of # Dutch.  Can you still catch?  Stefanski might need you this year...

Yeah, my dad was thrilled I got Paul Warfield's #, and my position was flanker that season. (Now thinking about it, that is what they called the position, but in reality I was a wingback. Next to the tight end, off the LOS).

I would wear #42 when I got older from time to time in baseball/softball because of another famous #42 athlete. 

And yes, I can still catch. I've always had really good hands.

Problem is you can probably time my 40 speed with a sundial, and I might be able to get about four inches off the ground now 😄