THE BROWNS BOARD

hate to say it but mangini's silence = anderson starter

82OZZIE82

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He is staying silent because he hasn't announced ONE SINGLE STARTER.

Please, do some homework before being goofy. Find me ONE PLAYER that Mangini has said "this is the starter vs Minnesota".

this is funny, I dont understand why this is such a mystery.... This is his MO and he has a track history in NY for exactly this sort of closed mouth fu to the media and fans about information.

I said this in another post that he would not state who the starting qb is or like wpb stated he wont name any starter. I think he sees information in the NFL like the CIA does about their intel.... the less that is exposed the more the other side has to prepare for any sort of scenario.

I think this is irritating more to the pro BQ crowd just because it makes them nervous.... clearly preseason the annointed one did not seperate from Icyhot DA.

I am more nervous about our Oline and running game/offensive cooridator scheme/ new skill players.....it does not matter much which one of these guys is qb if those factors are not better than what they were last year.

I am starting to think mangini is going to rotate them both in and out all season or until there is a clear winner testing them under live and ever changing conditions and basing who starts on the strenth and weakness of that opponent...wishful thinking?

Who knows mangini keeps saying the offense is comfortable with both QBs and the opponents not knowing who will start or when they will change QBs could give us a big edge until a decisive winner steps up....;)

I have always thought these 2 QBs could give great strenths under different circumstances...who knows..;)

I am starting to think mangini is going to rotate them both in and out all season or until there is a clear winner testing them under live and ever changing conditions and basing who starts on the strenth and weakness of that opponent...wishful thinking?

Who knows mangini keeps saying the offense is comfortable with both QBs and the opponents not knowing who will start or when they will change QBs could give us a big edge until a decisive winner steps up....;)

I have always thought these 2 QBs could give great strenths under different circumstances...who knows..;)

He has already stated that he will make a choice...and that is IT! There will be no rotating. That much he has said.

I maintain that if you were going to piss off the fans and name DA the starter wouldn't it makes more sense to do this now, rather than an hour before kick off. I mean if the fans are as one sided on this argument as seems to be then there might be a riot in the muni-lot if it is announced an hour before the game that DA is starting. Why risk a chorus of boos when the fans, 99% of whom are expecting BQ, see #3 running out on the field for our first series.

I really think that if it was going to be Anderson he would have done it already to get all of the media and fan backlash out of the way. It would be stupid and unfair to Anderson honestly to run him out there as the starter next week unexpectedly to the fans and have 1/2 the stadium booing the guy before he even attempts a pass.

He would get brutally booed as a surprise starter. Given a few weeks to get used to the idea? Would've been better.

But he needed to knock Quinn out. He lost on points.

blah blah blah...Mangini doesn't give 2 shits what fans think...looking at the body of work,DA is the hands down winner...Quinn sure as hell didn't do any knocking out of his own now did he?

He would get brutally booed as a surprise starter. Given a few weeks to get used to the idea? Would've been better.

Going into the season I thought it was Brady's to lose. He didn't and DID outplay DA by a good margin. By simply not forcing anything or doing anything stupid the whole time. He takes what the defense gives him and manages. He's the perfect qb for our team right now.

Going into the season I thought it was Brady's to lose. He didn't and DID outplay DA by a good margin. By simply not forcing anything or doing anything stupid the whole time. He takes what the defense gives him and manages. He's the perfect qb for our team right now.

:laughs:is he now? you base that on opinion and feelings...not facts..you had better hope your boy doesn't tank...'cause if he does where will you place your fragile little hopes then?

shep there is another possibility.. what about money? IF DA is the starter and he announces it fan backlash might mean decreased attendance......... so announcing it may not be the right thing to do...

Its another logical argument to a tree of possibilities and reasoning based on conjecture and speculation.....

lets worry about the Oline/new skill players/running backs/new offensive and defensive coordinators and schemes/new defensive players/secondary and head coach before we obsess about the starting qb...... We have an awful lot of issues and changes from last year..... the one thing we DO HAVE is depth at QB.... either one of these guys can play (different strengths) but at least we do have two starting potentials that are young.

blah blah blah...Mangini doesn't give 2 shits what fans think...looking at the body of work,DA is the hands down winner...Quinn sure as hell didn't do any knocking out of his own now did he?

LOL...what body of work were you looking at? You claim Quinn didn't do any knocking out, but fail to mention that the "experienced" DA couldn't knock Quinn out. DA did not win this competition, especially against other opponents in the preseason.

DA's played horrible with the exception of a few games where the whole team was on fire. Like last year with Giants. But DA most consistent trait is that he is inconsistent and you can take that to the bank.

In '07 he still was bad, he just had amazing, circus catches by JJ, K2 and BE. He still sucked. Gimme Quinn or even Couch, or Holcomb, or Frye, but not DA, please!!!

He has already stated that he will make a choice...and that is IT! There will be no rotating. That much he has said.

actually he didn't say that. All he's said is that he's made a decision and that he will talk to both QB's separately and explain his decision to both and why and what went into the decision.

His decision could be anything, frankly. His decision could be to not make a decision. To rotate the QBs. As long as doing such doesn't mess up continuity, I actually kinda like the idea, keeps the opponents on their toes.

LOL...what body of work were you looking at? You claim Quinn didn't do any knocking out, but fail to mention that the "experienced" DA couldn't knock Quinn out. DA did not win this competition, especially against other opponents in the preseason.

Total time in the NFL body of work genius... and let me counter with this...did quinn seize the job by the throat and make it his own without question

? echo answers mournfully....Quinn is a Savage pick...you remember Phil don't ya?The same guy the passed on Nagata, let a hated rival select him, while we wonder if the guy we picked instead, will ever pan out. Savage who picked D Jackson when we could have had D.ryans..quinn who qb hungry teams passed on in the draft...I don't buy into the quinn hype...not now...not untill he proves that he has what it takes to be a franchise qb...not a place holder

See, statements like this really make me wonder what world some folks are living in. Now I wouldn't be horribly surprised if DA was named starter, as there wasn't a ton of distance between the QBs. Personally I think BQ outplayed DA by a small margin and will be the starter.

But to make a comment that DA outplayed BQ and is the hands down winner... that's a ludicrous statement to make.

See, statements like this really make me wonder what world some folks are living in. Now I wouldn't be horribly surprised if DA was named starter, as there wasn't a ton of distance between the QBs. Personally I think BQ outplayed DA by a small margin and will be the starter.

But to make a comment that DA outplayed BQ and is the hands down winner... that's a ludicrous statement to make.

it's ludicrous only in your bq love fest world...the world you obviously reside in.

actually he didn't say that. All he's said is that he's made a decision and that he will talk to both QB's separately and explain his decision to both and why and what went into the decision.

His decision could be anything, frankly. His decision could be to not make a decision. To rotate the QBs. As long as doing such doesn't mess up continuity, I actually kinda like the idea, keeps the opponents on their toes.

actually, he did:

Mangini: No timetable to name No. 1 QB

Comment Email Print Share

Associated Press

BEREA, Ohio -- Once Eric Mangini picks a starting quarterback, the new Cleveland Browns coach intends to stick with him.

Mangini said Sunday that he will not rotate his QBs, that he has no timetable on picking between Derek Anderson and Brady Quinn and that he envisions both players staying on the Browns' roster once the regular season begins.

AFC North blog

Walker ESPN.com's James Walker writes about all things AFC North in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

Mangini, who will spend the bulk of training camp evaluating them, shot down any thought of switching starters on a weekly basis. He also said that once he declares Anderson or Quinn as the No. 1 quarterback, he intends to stay with his choice.

"Once you make that decision and go with that decision, then at that point you're moving forward with that group," Mangini said.

There's a chance the Browns could be approached by other teams looking for a quarterback later this summer, but Mangini also sees both Anderson and Quinn staying with the team for the foreseeable future.

"In my mind, Brady and D.A. will both be here," Mangini said.

Anderson and Quinn are expected to split playing time and practice reps over the next few weeks. The Browns play their first preseason game Aug. 15 in Green Bay.

On Sunday, Anderson appeared to make better passes than Quinn during practice. Mangini said the twosome came into camp in a dead heat for the starting job.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

Just to be accurate!!!

omultous

I think it would be a paralizing silence until the 1st errant throw or Anderception that would result in tomultuous boos.

I think it was the 0-2 and 1 int performance that DA had this preseason that clearly made him the winner, not to mention the number of TD drives he led the offense to.

Archived