THE BROWNS BOARD

Tale of the Tape - Browns vs Chargers

Orion

image.png.803ad01e596aea556f3e70a4d1970fcb.png

...and so, turning the page to the upcoming game against the Chargers...a game that is now a Must Win because we lost to the Jets (or Falcons, take your pick).  If you lose to a team that you're supposed to beat, then you've gotta win the game you're supposed to lose to get back on track.  So now we've gotta do that twice.

Our run D fell 10 spots...in one game...and we saw it happen on TV.   Fortunately, the Chargers rank dead last in running the ball.  So, because they're playing our D we can probably pro-rate them to middle of the league at rushing.  But the party is over regarding the QB's we'll be facing.  Sherbert has the Bolts leading the league in passing.  Partly by necessity since they suck at running the ball.

Their OL does a good job of protecting Sherbert.  So I'd have to assume that he'll have the time to pick us apart.  

The two defenses are pretty even so once again we'll need our offense to save the day.  We're going to have to score points.  And not pass them up because we're greedy.  

image.png

image.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Orion said:

...and so, turning the page to the upcoming game against the Chargers...a game that is now a Must Win because we lost to the Jets (or Falcons, take your pick).  If you lose to a team that you're supposed to beat, then you've gotta win the game you're supposed to lose to get back on track.  So now we've gotta do that twice.

Our run D fell 10 spots...in one game...and we saw it happen on TV.   Fortunately, the Chargers rank dead last in running the ball.  So, because they're playing our D we can probably pro-rate them to middle of the league at rushing.  But the party is over regarding the QB's we'll be facing.  Sherbert has the Bolts leading the league in passing.  Partly by necessity since they suck at running the ball.

Their OL does a good job of protecting Sherbert.  So I'd have to assume that he'll have the time to pick us apart.  

The two defenses are pretty even so once again we'll need our offense to save the day.  We're going to have to score points.  And not pass them up because we're greedy.  

image.png

image.png

I don't find these numbers to be predictive of anything.

The Browns can hang with any NFL team. A lot of our defensive woes are self-inflicted coaching bullshit and not our guys getting outplayed.

Fuck the Chargers.

• Upvote 1

I for one, can't believe we still rank in the top 20 of either of those defensive stat lines 🤓

I thought the browns had a legit chance to replace swing OL-men Chris Hubbard in the 6th round. Instead 🤔.. Barry traded back 10 slots with Dallas. 2 picks from the trade,  Georgia's Jamaree Salyer goes to the Chargers.. Guess what projected G, played LT LAC week 4?

Jamaree Salyer got the start at left tackle in week 4. When Rashawn Slater went down with an injury in week 3, Storm Norton, who was the team’s swing tackle and the “next man up” on the depth chart and from an experience standpoint, finished out the game at left tackle. He got worked over by the Jaguars pass rush.

Early in the week the coaching staff decided they wanted to see what their other options were and announced that rookie 6th round pick Jamaree Salyer was going to get the start at Houston. Their faith in him was rewarded. Not only did Salyer play all 70 snaps at LT, on the 41 pass blocking snaps, Salyer surrendered 0 pressures according to PFF. This is an EXTREMELY encouraging start for the rookie and a reason to have some hope that maybe things won’t completely crumble in Slater’s absence.

At this time, Chris Hubbard nor our 6th round pick of WR Robert Woods III has played this season (reports on Woods, had a good camp..He needs to get his arss on the field//IR's were 4 weeks) 

I'm still taking a 80% Myles Garrett to surpass Clay Matthews sack record before Halftime 💪  we owe these LA bitches a L in our house

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

I don't find these numbers to be predictive of anything.

Then this thread is not for you.  Go fabricate yourself a divining rod.  

It's an interesting matchup. 

The Chargers Oline isnt good and their running game is inefficient.  

The Brownies Dline, aside from Myles and occasionally Perrion, is flat out awful. 

Is the Chargers line bad enough to make the Browns front 7 look competent like it was with Carolina? 

Browns are getting +2.5 at home right now and I do tend to love home dogs.    But the Chargers are currently sitting 11th in DVOA, but that's not including Joey Bosa being out.  

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/team-defense/2022/regular?check_logged_in=1

My further concern is that, 4 weeks into the season, we've about exhausted the ways we can creatively work the horizontal passing game sans just flat out winning our personnel matchups.  And Njoku is bound to draw Derwin James quite a bit. 

I'd say, given our IDL weakness being more exploitable than the Bolts IOL weakness, I'd be leaning LAC -2.5, if I were gambling.  Might even take a peek at the O/U with respect to the weather.  

Might straight up come down to Chubb and Hunt going off and playing keep away from Herbert. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

The Chargers have gotten beat badly on RBs catching passes out of the backfield.  We’ve had breakdowns deep they’ve had them in the flats.  The LBs aren’t reading and diagnosing well and they’ve had chunk yardage there.   I think they will try to make the adjust this week facing Chubb and Hunt and it may even soften the middle for Njoku and Co. 

This will be a weird game and I’m watching the over under too.  You will essentially have two teams trying to play keep away and sustain long drives. They don’t want our running game taking over and it can.   Herbert is playing hurt…he’s ripping the ball but I don’t think it’s the type of injury where they want him zinging it way down field with Myles back.  It will be underneath short stuff and we typically give that up.   If Keenan Allen is back plus for them and employing this strategy. 

We need Kevin to call a better game in the redzone this will come down to who scores TDs in the redzone

• Thanks 3

4 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

The Chargers Oline isnt good

Then we want to credit Sherbert for getting the ball out quickly because they've only given up 4 sacks.

4 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Might straight up come down to Chubb and Hunt going off and playing keep away from Herbert. 

This is who we are right now.  We're not an explosive offense.  We have to play from the lead.

9 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

We need Kevin to call a better game in the redzone this will come down to who scores TDs in the redzone

Shhh!  Don't let him hear that or we won't kick any FG's again.

I have to be honest, this is going to come down to 4 things.

The defensive line being able to get pressure. Denzel Ward getting his head out of his pooper and play like he did before he got that contract. John Johnson being able to cover and play the ball, oh and tackle like a professional, and coaching. Long as Stefanski doesn't get cute, we SHOULD be able to outlast them. 

Oh, and York making his kicks.

29 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

The Chargers have gotten beat badly on RBs catching passes out of the backfield.  We’ve had breakdowns deep they’ve had them in the flats.  The LBs aren’t reading and diagnosing well and they’ve had chunk yardage there.   I think they will try to make the adjust this week facing Chubb and Hunt and it may even soften the middle for Njoku and Co. 

This will be a weird game and I’m watching the over under too.  You will essentially have two teams trying to play keep away and sustain long drives. They don’t want our running game taking over and it can.   Herbert is playing hurt…he’s ripping the ball but I don’t think it’s the type of injury where they want him zinging it way down field with Myles back.  It will be underneath short stuff and we typically give that up.   If Keenan Allen is back plus for them and employing this strategy. 

They're probably going to do what the Steelers did, which is run 90% of their offense away from him as well as chips and double teams. We have ZERO pass rush on the other side. When is Clowney due back? 

1 hour ago, beyster said:

They're probably going to do what the Steelers did, which is run 90% of their offense away from him as well as chips and double teams. We have ZERO pass rush on the other side. When is Clowney due back? 

possibly in time for the chargers, but still isn't practicing. Late in the week they will make the call.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Orion said:

Then we want to credit Sherbert for getting the ball out quickly because they've only given up 4 sacks.

There's a bit of that, but there's also this Big Ben, Mahomes, Joey Buckets, type attitude Herbert also has.  He's more than willing to hold onto the ball for downfield shots because he's also athletic enough to create with his legs to buy time to throw.   

There is also a good bit of MIke Williams, seventh overall pick (2017) all 6'4" and 218 lbs of him, (he ran a 4.54 forty) - big downfield threat.

from wikipedia:

"

2021 season

Williams had a breakout season in 2021, setting career highs in receptions (76), targets (129), and yards (1,146) while scoring nine touchdowns."

Without Mike Williams - Hebert would have had big trouble.

The Sirius XM radio crew (mainly Pat  Kirwan & Jim Miller) cover the NFL draft and the lead up to it  and post draft better than most.  I wish they would just take over all day Papa and Weiss are HORRIBLE

They loved Jamaree Salyer and early returns appear that the Chargers got a good one and he will do fine for now. 

You got to rough Herbert up to the extent that you can- and that means maybe bringing a blitz off the edge they don’t expect and getting free pass at the QB.  Anyone remember last year when we had a wounded QB?  Also  We didn’t fair too well last season when we let the Chargers go downfield and get vertical on routes.  If we go all vanilla and drop everyone - gonna be a real long day 

23 hours ago, beyster said:

Don't hold your breath on Clowney anytime soon.  Still not practicing this week. One thing for sure, the guy is guaranteed to miss a bunch of games every year. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

Don't hold your breath on Clowney anytime soon.  Still not practicing this week. One thing for sure, the guy is guaranteed to miss a bunch of games every year. 

That has been his career in a nut shell , Lar... You love the talent... You just wish his availability was better than what it's been...

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, nickers said:

That has been his career in a nut shell , Lar... You love the talent... You just wish his availability was better than what it's been...

Clowney and Garrett both "limited" today at practice, so there's faint hope they can play Sunday...  

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

If we go all vanilla and drop everyone - gonna be a real long day

You can't let a QB count the house.  Someone will be / or get open somewhere.  They've gotta feel pressure.  

8 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

The Sirius XM radio crew (mainly Pat  Kirwan & Jim Miller) cover the NFL draft and the lead up to it  and post draft better than most.  I wish they would just take over all day Papa and Weiss are HORRIBLE

They loved Jamaree Salyer and early returns appear that the Chargers got a good one and he will do fine for now. 

Watched Chargers at Texans on nfl plus.. #68 J. Salyer

looks larger now than he played at Georgia. (chest mass) But he's not a 6'4" Tackle..Maybe 6'2 with same playing guard body type. Nice wide base outside

Chargers only run to his side with TE/WR help..Herbert not once rolled to Sayler's side//right roll-outs/ Eckler scores 2 TD's off RG/RT in 1st half 

Salyer never saw any help in his pass pro.. Sayler is excellent at staying in his lane & passing guys off inside with no free runs at Herbert. Sayler shows good outside vision for a move to LT

You can get Salyer moving on his heels backwards with strong bull rushes(twice)

Salyer's real issue ?

Don't let him latch on to your chest plate.. His 33" Guard arms can be beaten on inside or outside swim techs. Got beat once on spin move inside. 

Texans RB Pierce scored on a long TD run in the 2nd quarter off RT... When we pull Bitonio with Teller at Conklin's side... It's Chunt gone wild 

Chargers defense is fast.. Blitzed Davis Mills from anywhere..Most success was Mills downfield passing.. because the underneath Chargers speed is excellent/tackle real well/  K.Mack just gets more pissed off, the more ya want to test him on 4th downs..he's always a beastly problem on gameday's  

• Thanks 1

On 10/5/2022 at 9:11 PM, Orion said:

image.png

image.png

I fully expect Myles and Clowney to play. He won't have all day. Hopefully. Lol

11 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Yes.  And when we can’t win with four we got to bring a guy or guys.  Joe doesn’t do this enough 

Before I give you the numbers, I want to ask - what is "enough", in your mind? 

Let's just use the ATL game in a vaccuum being that we lost our pass rush for the first time this season then. 

12 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

I had some bourbon up my nose when I read…”Chunt gone wild”

Opps! :D   

failed to mention most of my tape scouting includes some mixture of Bacardi's 🍹 

As soon as I watched the Pierce TD replay👀  twas my 1st voice reaction after.. Chunt's going to go wild

Top 3 Jim Donovan's can't says... More surprised I beat Flugel to using it ;)

Good Day gents! Beautiful fall day for some grandson doubleheader baseball 

We will need a better defensive effort, than our last one verse the Steelers.. No better time to find it than Sunday   

9 hours ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

Clowney is Coutney Brown

Not exactly Tom. If you want to say he's injury prone, you're 100% correct.  Checking, in his 9 seasons, he's only played in every game once. The difference between him and Courtney is when Clowney is healthy enough to play he's actually pretty decent. Unlike "soft" Brown.  

• Upvote 1

I'd like to think the Browns can win this game... But too many things need to go just right for them... I just get visions of Justin Herbert carving up Joe Woods Soft Zone D...

13 hours ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

Clowney is Coutney Brown

Brown was really good!  Then he got that first injury.  And he was never really good again.  Clowney gets hurt every year and misses games.  A substantial negative.  But he usually gets back on the field where he still plays at quite a high level.  He's a mercenary that we have to replace, and that we're lucky to have.  Especially in light of the current condition of the front 7. 

4 hours ago, nickers said:

I just get visions of Justin Herbert carving up Joe Woods Soft Zone D...

Yeah... that requires a pass rush.  And if you're not getting one, you have to man up and blitz yourself a pass rush.