THE BROWNS BOARD

The family of sports fans

My Dad died in 2000. He bled Browns and Indians. In his retirement days he used to make Browns and Indians yard and wall signs out of wood.

My friend in Milwaukee sent me the attached photo of his living room.

Sports may be silly, and for sure we are all dickheads, but we are dickheads joined in spirit.

Go Browns.

IMG_2737.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3

Hey Ghoolie,  my dad passed on in December 2000, my father-in-law in 2002 all part of the Greatest Generation....ever.  Super guys handyman and woodmakers all.

Our mothers far outlived them and passed in 2019 at 87 and 94.

And loyal Cleveland Indians and Browns fans too.  I think we Boomers can be the spoiled dickheads at times,  we had it easy !  

....... edit add,  I'm 72 and never really had a bad day, good jobs, worked hard   -but-  still no problems,  eh ?

Edited by mjp28
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Hey Ghoolie,  my dad passed on in December 2000, my father-in-law in 2002 all part of the Greatest Generation....ever.  Super guys handyman and woodmakers all.

And loyal Cleveland Indians and Browns fans too.  I think we Boomers can be the spoiled dickheads at times,  we had it easy !  

....... edit add,  I'm 72 and never really had a bad day, good jobs, worked hard   -but-  still no problems,  eh ?

bad days ? Ive had to many (sex and drugs and rock n roll and of course being a Browns fan)

edit: both my kids are like why ? and when in high school got shit for wearing Browns gear

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, syd said:

bad days ? Ive had to many (sex and drugs and rock n roll and of course being a Browns fan)

Oh I've had some incredible times....many I wouldn't put up here....but I survived and moved on !  

Me in 1974 in front of mom's house with my 1969 Mach 1.  I was about 23.

PhotoRoom-20211129_211648.png

1 minute ago, mjp28 said:

Oh I've had some incredible times....many I wouldn't put up here....but I survived and moved on !  

hahahhha nice slacks but a great car Peace my friend

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mjp28 said:

My Mom went in 2017. So many gone, like another lifetime. Here we are....carrying the ball forward.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

My Mom went in 2017. So many gone, like another lifetime. Here we are....carrying the ball forward.

From the Sopranos,  at an old black friend of Tony's funeral,  his son said :

"We are the elders now".    Kind of a scene stopping moment when you realize that many now are looking up at you for advice and actions on what to do now.  A kind of creepy moment when you don't have anyone else to look up to.....only to remember them by in making decisions,  calling the shots.  

I remember that scene well, and more often than you'd imagine. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, syd said:

hahahhha nice slacks but a great car Peace my friend

Like that,  "the polyester years"  and I remember back then I was on one of my  very, very rare diets for who knows what reason I was graduating college the next year I remember. 

Then back on my   "healthy steak, potatoes,  lotsa beer diet"  and hit the weights again big time again. 

Damn I did look like the John Travolta Saturday Night Fever look......enough of that crap.   Hang in there syd and Disco Inferno baby !   

......edit add, seriously though disco sucked, ROCK AND ROLL BABY !    (didn't want to worry you there)

Edited by mjp28
  • Haha 1

Since this family of sports fans is reminiscing back.....my 1st ride, where it all began 1968.....graduated high school starting college. 

Back in front of mom's house again  my  1965 Ford Mustang  ◆  289. 4 speed. .  Oh yeah what a groovy ride to go along with my HONDA 350 Scrambler !  Bought the Scrambler in January and rode it year round.

Fun times. 

Michael '65 Mustang-1.jpg

1970-honda-cl350-scrambler-1.jpg

Geeezzz I think back then, first cars and early on bikes.....life was so simple back then.

Over to the left a really nice basketball hoop,  would go out there in the evening with WHOT 1330 Youngstown and shoot hoops for hours. 

So simple but relaxing,   NO COMPUTERS  no cable TV not invented yet........and then college graduation and shifted into the fast lane.

I can just look at the old pics now.

15 hours ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

My Dad died in 2000. He bled Browns and Indians. In his retirement days he used to make Browns and Indians yard and wall signs out of wood.

My friend in Milwaukee sent me the attached photo of his living room.

Sports may be silly, and for sure we are all dickheads, but we are dickheads joined in spirit.

Go Browns.

As disappointing as this team has been since the 80s ended, they can't take away stories like this reminding us why there's still a culture long after the Championships. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, mjp28 said:

So simple but relaxing,   NO COMPUTERS  no cable TV not invented yet........and then college graduation and shifted into the fast lane.

We had cable TV in the 1966-1967 when I was a kid in Canton.

I don’t think Cleveland got cable until the 1980’s.

4 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

We had cable TV in the 1966-1967 when I was a kid in Canton.

I don’t think Cleveland got cable until the 1980’s.

I remember when it first came around with about 20 stations, including a very few with the sexy movies maybe later 1970s, early 1980s.

Still the big antennas on the roof 3 5 8 occasionally Pittsburgh 2 KDKA back then.  Oh yeah and the amazing Ghoulardi era in Cleveland Ohio!   Cool it with the BOOM BOOMS. What a time to grow up in.

Plus I had Liberty Lake right behind our property to fish in.  And sometimes just at dusk we'd take our .22 rifles out to the lake and skip the bullets on the water so cool !  You could see the splashes way off in the distance.   And that unmistakable. 22 ccccc-rack and the echoes across the lake.

So way cool baby !

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Who had more horse power the Mustang or the former Defensive End leaning on it?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Flugel said:

Who had more horse power the Mustang or the former Defensive End leaning on it?

Hey I was a very undersized DE in high school,  slid in as a LB.  I WAS Interested as a RB but they had 6 or 7.  I was about 176 as a junior lbs as a 17 y/o senior maybe 178+....well IR with the knee thing.

Up to 183 in college up to 192 later working in the mill down to about 187 +/- in that picture.   Hey that pic was about 48 years ago  !

Power, well the stock 289 v8 engine yeah like me just good enough to get by.  To show how numbers can be deceiving my next car was a 1969 camaro z-28 302 with the 30/30 cam Holley 800 cfm listed about 290 hp but could do more.   Eh 289, 302 just 13 ci difference but many hp in reality. 

5 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Hey I was a very undersized DE in high school,  slid in as a LB.  I WAS Interested as a RB but they had 6 or 7.  I was about 176 as a junior lbs as a 17 y/o senior maybe 178+....well IR with the knee thing.

Up to 183 in college up to 192 later working in the mill down to about 187 +/- in that picture.   Hey that pic was about 48 years ago  !

Power, well the stock 289 v8 engine yeah like me just good enough to get by.  To show how numbers can be deceiving my next car was a 1969 camaro z-28 302 with the 30/30 cam Holley 800 cfm listed about 290 hp but could do more.   Eh 289, 302 just 13 ci difference but many hp in reality. 

Late, I just watched the Drive game for the way too "many-eth" time. Great memories.

2 kosar ints, 2 Mack fumbles hurt

Wish Marty would have blitzed Elway a few times on the drive, and Elways OT posession.

Browns OT possession, 3d and 2, handoff to Herman Fontenote? WTF?

Matthews double teamed on a pass rush, held and taken to the ground. Gets up and kicks the one guy in the nuts, then the other guy intervenes and Matthews knees him in the nuts.

Minnefield had pass interference on the call, and Melin Olsen said "it's a good thing the refs didn't see that ".

LMAO X 1000

WINNABLE for us. Really, no real errors. Elway was just a little too good to let back in.

To think, none of us knew each other back then, but we, our friends and family were all doing the same, exact thing on that day.

God, I love this team. Don't we all?