THE BROWNS BOARD

Myles Garrett told he won’t get holding calls by NFL officials vs. Buccaneers

Vambo

Myles Garrett told he won’t get holding calls by NFL officials vs. Buccaneers

https://sports.yahoo.com/myles-garrett-told-won-t-191512182.html

It is quite obvious to anyone who watches Cleveland Browns games that defensive end Myles Garrett gets held a ton. And yet, Garrett hardly ever gets calls in his favor as opposing offensive tackles blatantly tie him to the ground. Despite this, Garrett provided constant pressure in the face of Tom Brady, racking up 1.5 sacks against the Buccaneers. Speaking to the media today as well, Garrett stated that officials have told him the no-calls will continue because he still gets through them.

“You’re fighting through the hold, so we’re not going to call it.”

To get this straight, the NFL told one of the premier pass rushers that he is too good to get a holding call in his favor.

5 hours ago, FY56 said:

That's certainly something to think about. If he gets past a hold, then he's obviously hasn't been held.

Not quite - he's being slowed down a bit...which is scary that Garrett is THAT amazing. But it seems that "they can't call everything" only applies to certain teams.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

The refs are blatantly disregarding holding calls….that’s some bullshit.

And you see it and hear about it in every  single game he plays in.  We BROWNS fans know that he should have way more sacks.

Question :  Did Reggie White get the same treatment  ?     IN 232 GAMES   198 SACKS ?   Should he have had more ?   ( yes ! )

SUMMARY.   Career.   GAMES  232. AVE.  231. Sk. 198.0  Solo. 1048. FF  33

22 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

The refs are blatantly disregarding holding calls….that’s some bullshit.

In other words, the Browns will not make the playoffs on Roger Goodell's watch the same season Watson returns to work.  

That's 1 easy way to get that done.  Take the ONLY difference maker the Browns have on their DL and have the officials remove him from the game by letting the opponents hold him every play without penalizing them for doing so.  As we've already seen some weeks, sometimes that type of Goodell crap showing up via the officials takes the wind right out of Garrett's sails.

Before anyone tells me how absurd that is, think of what is heading Goodell's way if the Browns finally put their dumpster fire out and make the playoffs because of Watson's return to the NFL.  All Roger has to do is tell officiating crews doing our games that it would be a real black eye for the league if Cleveland makes the playoffs this year because Watson wasn't punished as long as Roger wanted him to be. You know the rest...

44 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I honestly have no idea why some of you continue to watch a product that some of you are convinced is completely rigged.

It must be some kind of weird Stockholm Syndrome or something. 

I don't think I REALLY believe it's rigged, but after some inexplicable losses I've definitely thought we're cursed. 😂😂

There were two absolutely atrocious missed holds against Garrett, possibly more I didn't see, and it's not fair. I forget the statistic, but drives with an offensive holding call result in punts WAY more often. Every missed holding call is potentially a punt. It's not right that just because a player is more talented, he doesn't get the same enforcement of the rules. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I honestly have no idea why some of you continue to watch a product that some of you are convinced is completely rigged.

It must be some kind of weird Stockholm Syndrome or something. 

Rigged suggests that Roger, Refs…you name them will do whatever it takes to produce the result they want.  They know better here…they can’t go this far…they will not go this far.

Exerting influence is another matter.  They can achieve this by shenanigans like this…and unsportsmanlike like penalties (seeing it one time and not the other), personal foul on QBs…a few years ago “taunting” (anyone remember the Terrell Pryor play against the Ravens).  Off./Def. PI.   I’m guilty of believing that the NFL let the Ravens and Steelers play “rougher” than most it was the brand of those two teams for years. 

Holding is 30-40% of the times in the eye of the beholder.  Some of it is very blatant and obvious other times a Wyatt Teller full out animal pancake block gets called. Human error or an agenda?

1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

I don't think I REALLY believe it's rigged, but after some inexplicable losses I've definitely thought we're cursed. 😂😂

There were two absolutely atrocious missed holds against Garrett, possibly more I didn't see, and it's not fair. I forget the statistic, but drives with an offensive holding call result in punts WAY more often. Every missed holding call is potentially a punt. It's not right that just because a player is more talented, he doesn't get the same enforcement of the rules. 

Yeah cursed or maybe just lacking that missing piece of whatever it is to be able to put teams and games away  not leaving it up to some last minute  ..... or second ..... thing to just happen. 

Play calling ?  HC leadership  ?  A true franchise quarterback to just pull off a two minute drive to win ?   :huh:

With a little of the above we might be talking about the 7-4 or at least 6-5 Cleveland BROWNS.     Just sayin'.   

I don’t know if the other top tier rushers are getting this same kind of treatment or not, but I kinda get it. No one wants to watch Myles sack the opposing QB every other play. We’d all like it, but It’s just not good for the game and would be no fun to watch.  

The 2 problems I have are that 

1) They let some EGREGIOUS holds go uncalled on Myles and if he gets injured “fighting through” one of them, that’s some major bullshit. They should be at least calling those or he will end up on IR at some point because of it.

&

2) You gotta stop with these ticky tack holding calls we always seem to get at the most inopportune times. Our line better be given the benefit of the doubt, especially if they’re going up against a quality front. But no, we’ve had all these drives stalled because of some holding call on one of our wide receivers on the other side of the field on a running play, or some other guy not even near the ball, or Teller pancakes the shit outta some loser? You gotta let those slide if you’re absolutely going to refuse to protect Myles even a little bit.  

• Like 1

Conspiracy take here by me, but here goes...

He's still being punished for ripping Rudolph's helmet off. 

The only other explanation is simply the NFL doesn't want CLE to succeed. Which is very hard to write or accept.

When you watch the game, the refs could throw a holding flag Garrett 6-7 times a game in most cases. Not "technically a hold" type flags either. I don't think this is as conspiracy oriented as the reality of no one wanting to see that many flags a game. He should absolutely be getting more calls, though.