THE BROWNS BOARD

Tale of the Tape - Browns @ Bengals

Orion

image.png.d224372477c5e90c81c65b3f3284bf74.png

Second game of the 2022 preseason for the 2023 season.   

The Bengals have got themselves solidly in the middle of the pack on defense.  They're better than we are against the run...but they don't run it very well (and/or very much).  IMO that was their major mistake against us last time.  All ya gotta do is give it to Mixon in between the tackles.  Our DT's are backups and we're pulling MLB'ers from practice squads.  But who knows, maybe their pig-headed coach will want to flaunt his 4th best passing attack again.

Of course we're still a powerful running team...but we've seen that defenses can devote themselves to stopping our run and dare us to pass it.  And I suppose that's what we'll see this week.  As might have been suspected, Watson was not good in his first game back.  But the Texans can get after the QB.  The Bengals are not nearly as good as the Texans in that area.  Perhaps that, and getting last week under his belt (I just love that 'under his belt' line when discussing Watson - sick no?) might mean that the game might slow down enough for him that we see some improvement from him.   But the other problem is that we're getting quite thin at WR.  Like MLB'ers, we're pulling them off other team's practice squads.  Hopefully Njoku and Bell can play.

I don't know what the spread is, but by these numbers the game is not lopsided.  The Bengals would get extra credit because being proficient at passing is more valuable the running...plus they're at home....plus Brissett is probably better than Watson at this point in time....I'd give the Browns about a 5 point dog.

(I won't get to see the game as my 'other' band is playing a Christmas show)        Go Browns

• Like 1

I think Joe Burrow gets off the mat vs the Browns and gets his first win. The Bengals seemingly have found their running game, and I don't see Watson doing a 180 from his first game and being able to match Burrow, plus he'll have to deal with AFC North weather. (A problem, longterm, that I'm curious to see how he will deal with. I have some doubts)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Orion said:

image.png.d224372477c5e90c81c65b3f3284bf74.png

Second game of the 2022 preseason for the 2023 season.   

The Bengals have got themselves solidly in the middle of the pack on defense.  They're better than we are against the run...but they don't run it very well (and/or very much).  IMO that was their major mistake against us last time.  All ya gotta do is give it to Mixon in between the tackles.  Our DT's are backups and we're pulling MLB'ers from practice squads.  But who knows, maybe their pig-headed coach will want to flaunt his 4th best passing attack again.

Of course we're still a powerful running team...but we've seen that defenses can devote themselves to stopping our run and dare us to pass it.  And I suppose that's what we'll see this week.  As might have been suspected, Watson was not good in his first game back.  But the Texans can get after the QB.  The Bengals are not nearly as good as the Texans in that area.  Perhaps that, and getting last week under his belt (I just love that 'under his belt' line when discussing Watson - sick no?) might mean that the game might slow down enough for him that we see some improvement from him.   But the other problem is that we're getting quite thin at WR.  Like MLB'ers, we're pulling them off other team's practice squads.  Hopefully Njoku and Bell can play.

I don't know what the spread is, but by these numbers the game is not lopsided.  The Bengals would get extra credit because being proficient at passing is more valuable the running...plus they're at home....plus Brissett is probably better than Watson at this point in time....I'd give the Browns about a 5 point dog.

(I won't get to see the game as my 'other' band is playing a Christmas show)        Go Browns

Nice post. I will just add that the battle of Ohio has always been a hard fucker to predict.

The Browns D has looked good 2 weeks in a row. I have no idea how this plays out but I think it is going to be a war. I the Browns will win by being a stronger physical team.

Go Browns

• Like 1

I'm worried about the Browns' offensive line. Losing Pocic, Conklin is slipping, Wills looks lost.

I think we can hang in there for awhile. If they can keep it close going into the 4th Q, maybe the upset happens. Go Browns.

• Upvote 1

DJ Reader is back and playing well-ish.  Pocic is out for us so that's a double whammy.  

Bungles appear willing to involve Perine in the downhill running game. 

Our LB situation is more and more of a wreck because we can't keep them clean. 

CIN Coming off a big win at home and keeping that momentum.  

CIN -4.  O/U 47.5. 

I'm not touching either. But gun to my head I'd lean a bit under. 

Name POS Status Date Injury Returns
Hayden Hurst 

TE Sidelined Dec 3, 2022 Calf  
Daxton Hill S Questionable Nov 5, 2022 Shoulder  
Mike Hilton DB Questionable Nov 3, 2022 Finger  
Chidobe Awuzie DB I.L. Oct 31, 2022 Knee Out for season
Ja'Marr Chase WR Questionable Oct 26, 2022 Hip Likely to play
Josh Tupou DL Questionable Oct 15, 2022 Calf  
Drew Sample TE I.L. Sep 20, 2022 Knee Out indefinitely
Clark Harris STM I.L. Sep 11, 2022 Biceps Out for season
Tycen Anderson S I.L. Sep 1, 2022 Hamstring  
Brandon Wilson DB PUP Aug 23, 2022 Undisclosed Eligible to return
Ben Brown C I.L. Aug 14, 2022 Biceps Out for season
Elijah Holyfield RB I.L. Jul 26, 2022 Leg Out for season
Name POS Status Date Injury Returns
Amari Cooper 

WR Questionable Dec 8, 2022 Hip  
Anthony Schwartz 

WR Sidelined Dec 6, 2022 Concussion Questionable for Week 14
Ethan Pocic C Sidelined Nov 19, 2022 Knee Questionable to return
Joe Haeg T I.L. Oct 28, 2022 Concussion  
Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah LB Sidelined Oct 26, 2022 Knee  
Jacob Phillips LB I.L. Oct 23, 2022 Pectorals Out for season
Wyatt Teller G Questionable Oct 15, 2022 Calf  
Jerome Ford RB Questionable Oct 3, 2022 Ankle Eligible to return
Anthony Walker LB I.L. Sep 21, 2022 Leg Out for season
Jesse James TE I.L. Sep 17, 2022 Biceps Eligible to return
Chase Winovich EDGE Questionable Sep 17, 2022 Hamstring Eligible to return
Chris Odom DL I.L. Aug 26, 2022 Knee Out for season
Dawson Deaton G I.L. Aug 14, 2022 Knee Out for season
Nick Harris C I.L. Aug 11, 2022 Knee Out for season
Jakeem Grant WR I.L. Aug 8, 2022 Achilles Out for season
Stephen Weatherly EDGE I.L. Aug 6, 2022 Knee Out for season
Isaiah Weston WR I.L. Jul 29, 2022 Knee Out for season

On 12/8/2022 at 11:10 PM, Orion said:

There's a huge part of me that would absolutely be all over a spread that small. Even though we play well against the Bengals, I'm struggling to see Watson improve that much. We all knew he'd be rusty, but it was far worse than expected. 

That being said, if Watson gets back to form quickly, he's talented enough to get us a W, and if he loosens up the box enough, Chubb will go bananas. I'd say 75% we lose, but I can see a path forward.

• Upvote 1

we lost to the Bengals just one time since Huey left. 

Apparently the Public is all over the Bengals in this one giving the points.  The #1 game overall this week.

if I had to use a couple angles on this one besides the one above which is profitable….

Bengals let down after an emotional win against their new rival (the highest rated (tv) game of the year.  

Division game…these are normally close games.   Well aside from the beat downs we’ve given them lately. 

We seem to matchup better against teams that don’t play bully ball too

On 12/9/2022 at 12:38 PM, Bob806 said:

I'm worried about the Browns' offensive line. Losing Pocic, Conklin is slipping, Wills looks lost.

I think we can hang in there for awhile. If they can keep it close going into the 4th Q, maybe the upset happens. Go Browns.

The offensive line is important but offensive linemen are a dime-a-dozen. Both the Steelers and Pat's won a SB with a walk-on LT.

Of all the potential problems for the Browns, the OL is not one of them.

Chubb will have a career day and Watson will pass for 3 TDs. Browns score 35 tomorrow

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

The offensive line is important but offensive linemen are a dime-a-dozen. Both the Steelers and Pat's won a SB with a walk-on LT.

Of all the potential problems for the Browns, the OL is not one of them.

Chubb will have a career day and Watson will pass for 3 TDs. Browns score 35 tomorrow

I hope you're right.

Browns 19

BenGals 17

On 12/8/2022 at 11:10 PM, Orion said:

I don't know what the spread is, but by these numbers the game is not lopsided.  ....I'd give the Browns about a 5 point dog.

I was pretty close.  Browns getting 5 1/2 points.