THE BROWNS BOARD

Tale of the Tape - Browns @ Steelers

Orion

The final game of the 2022 Preseason of the 2023 Season.

Just before Watson took over for Brissett I prophesized hope that Watson might start to show real on field improvement over the last two games of the season.  And it almost seemed as if he was feeling more comfortable in the 2nd half against the Commanders.  

This week Watson will be facing the Steeler defense.  They are quite strong against the run.  And I bet that they're lower ranked pass D is partly because they're so hard to run against.  

Like most everyone else, they'll be focusing on stopping our running game and make us try to beat them with the pass.  Can we finally do it?  Can we open up the run game with the pass?  I think a lot of it has to do with the OL.  Can they give Watson time to show us why we traded with the devil?  And then can Watson deliver if given the time.

It will be an interesting final game...against our arch rival.  Draft picks don't fuckin' matter this week!  Go Browns!  Beat the Steelers!

image.png.9c9c220885d6098c5d11c35f4560e9f8.png

- God bless and heal Damar Hamlin - 

On 1/3/2023 at 2:33 PM, Orion said:

The final game of the 2022 Preseason of the 2023 Season.

Just before Watson took over for Brissett I prophesized hope that Watson might start to show real on field improvement over the last two games of the season.  And it almost seemed as if he was feeling more comfortable in the 2nd half against the Commanders.  

This week Watson will be facing the Steeler defense.  They are quite strong against the run.  And I bet that they're lower ranked pass D is partly because they're so hard to run against.  

Like most everyone else, they'll be focusing on stopping our running game and make us try to beat them with the pass.  Can we finally do it?  Can we open up the run game with the pass?  I think a lot of it has to do with the OL.  Can they give Watson time to show us why we traded with the devil?  And then can Watson deliver if given the time.

It will be an interesting final game...against our arch rival.  Draft picks don't fuckin' matter this week!  Go Browns!  Beat the Steelers!

image.png.9c9c220885d6098c5d11c35f4560e9f8.png

- God bless and heal Damar Hamlin - 

Your comment about can we use that pass to open up the run elicits what I have always felt is a more important question. I of course have never coached an NFL team, so WTF do I know?

I think that because we don't have any deep threats, most teams start the game against us focused on the run.

I believe that right off the bat, first play of the game, if we started with play fakes and passess off of that, it would back teams away and open up the run game earlier.

The fucked up thing is that we generally have success on our first drive and frequently score first, but still it seems as though Chubb doesn't get rolling until later in the game.

I sure as fuck don't have the answers but it seems like the Browns are not as punishing with the run as we should be.

I have to be honest with you, one can pooh pooh NFL fanship as being silly, and in many ways, it is. Yep, we are all dickheads. But tomorrow's game means something to me.

I sure as fuck don't want the game to end tomorrow with talk of Kenny Pickett emerging as a great QB, the Steelers going into the playoffs, and our team having no visible direction.

I love the Browns.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

I of course have never coached an NFL team, so WTF do I know?

Don't sell yourself so short.  We've seen NFL coaches make decisions like they've never coached an NFL team.  We've seen an NFL HC opt to kickoff in overtime...and to quote Chris Berman, "Take losing to a whole new level".  We've seen a HC draft Tim Tebow in the 1st round.  We've seen a HC call a bubble WR screen on 1st and goal from the Steeler 1 yard line in OT.  

1 hour ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

I believe that right off the bat, first play of the game, if we started with play fakes and passess off of that, it would back teams away and open up the run game earlier.

You've said that before.  And I agreed before.  But instead they'll motion Chubb all the way out near the sidelines...and I'm like, there goes our ability to make the defense stay flat-footed for a second and a half.  Get under center, fake it to Chubb while dropping back and that's gotta keep a LB'er or two's attention.  

- we don't just 'like' the Browns here - 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Orion said:

Don't sell yourself so short.  We've seen NFL coaches make decisions like they've never coached an NFL team.  We've seen an NFL HC opt to kickoff in overtime...and to quote Chris Berman, "Take losing to a whole new level".  We've seen a HC draft Tim Tebow in the 1st round.  We've seen a HC call a bubble WR screen on 1st and goal from the Steeler 1 yard line in OT.  

You've said that before.  And I agreed before.  But instead they'll motion Chubb all the way out near the sidelines...and I'm like, there goes our ability to make the defense stay flat-footed for a second and a half.  Get under center, fake it to Chubb while dropping back and that's gotta keep a LB'er or two's attention.  

- we don't just 'like' the Browns here - 

I didn't mean to imply that you didn't, but rather that I agreed with your thoughts, and somewhat like a broken record my brain keeps exploding with this "use Chubb as the Matador's cape."

Here's to a win, tomorrow! I toasted you with a sipping shot of Zacapa XO. Thanks for the T ot T

• Like 1

@Orion small side-note: Cooper can get a career high in yards with 80 against the Steelers, and he has indicated he is keen on achieving that. This might factor into the game plan, also considering Pb's statistically underwhelming pass D.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/lists/browns-amari-cooper-career-high-steelers/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nickers said:

Watson looks like pure dog shit!!... NO EXCUSES!

He better drink plenty of Coke or Pepsi in the offseason, as I've seen many a YouTube video showing how cola can dissolve rust.