THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns get cap space relief as salary cap rises $16.6 million in 2023

Vambo

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2023/01/30/browns-salary-cap-increase-2023/

As the Cleveland Browns look to take a big swing or two in free agency, they get good news that the salary cap is set to take a jump in 2023. According to NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero, the NFL has informed teams the salary cap will be taking a massive $16.6 million jump when the new league year kicks off.

As of today, the Browns are slotted at about $14.4 million in the hole, but this does not account for their rollover cap, which they lead the league in. They will also have avenues to create a ton more space, including the contract restructures of Deshaun Watson and Myles Garrett, and the release of a highly-paid and underperforming safety in John Johnson III

Needless to say, the Browns will have money to spend this offseason.

2 hours ago, Vambo said:

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2023/01/30/browns-salary-cap-increase-2023/

As the Cleveland Browns look to take a big swing or two in free agency, they get good news that the salary cap is set to take a jump in 2023. According to NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero, the NFL has informed teams the salary cap will be taking a massive $16.6 million jump when the new league year kicks off.

As of today, the Browns are slotted at about $14.4 million in the hole, but this does not account for their rollover cap, which they lead the league in. They will also have avenues to create a ton more space, including the contract restructures of Deshaun Watson and Myles Garrett, and the release of a highly-paid and underperforming safety in John Johnson III

Needless to say, the Browns will have money to spend this offseason.

Well, this is really where Berry & Company earn their money. Tough decisions (like the other 31 teams) on who to bring in, & of course sometimes thes FAs don't pan out as well as the team wants on the field. 

I'm not into the Watson bashing, but to me it's crazy to think he'd restructure after the Browns upped the ante so significantly. If he does it, kudos to him.

Well, they need some bucks because you can't fix a whole lot with no 1st round pick and no free agency.  They're going to have to do some fixing through FA.

Was JJ3 really that bad?  How much of the secondary issues could've been related to Woods' schemes?

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Orion said:

Well, they need some bucks because you can't fix a whole lot with no 1st round pick and no free agency.  They're going to have to do some fixing through FA.

Was JJ3 really that bad?  How much of the secondary issues could've been related to Woods' schemes?

I agree.  I think there is a pretty good chance he stays.  I think we put him back at free safety and he will be fine. 

Safety is usually a position where veteran knowledge is more important than youthful speed.  He played well before he came to Joe Woods, and I don't think he all of a sudden forgot how to play the game.

I think he might stay.

On 1/31/2023 at 4:33 PM, ballpeen said:

back at free safety

All positions have to be able to both cover if motion happens and take the right angles in deep coverage.. there isn't a distinction any more such as this.

That being said, the best 11 will play and so if you do see this [decreasing JJ's responsibilities so as to minimize this weakness] that means.. the DC recognizes that the player has limitations and so... everyone else is actually asked to cover even more ground to pick up the slack.

The reason I think he's gone after June1 is because his cap hit this season is no less than 13.5.. which is wildly insane for a person we're having this discussion about.  Note that before june1 getting rid of him would be 12.6 dead; after that would be "only" 3.5 dead.

In a different world, that 3.5 could/should be enough to get a FA starter; instead, we'll be paying that as dead money.

Pretty much all players have strength and weaknesses.  Once we understand that, then we understand that it is smart to put them where their strengths can be put to use and their weaknesses can be minimized. 

That said, I also agree there is a better than slim chance we move on from johnson.  I just think the plan will be to spend what FA money we have on other positions and aren't going to rely on a drafted rookie or one of the other guys on the roster.  I think both Berrry and Stefanski know their jobs are on the line and aren't going to be willing to do that.  

I think they ride with Johnson, but hey, you could be right.