THE BROWNS BOARD

Haslams in talks to buy 25% stake in Bucks

Browns149

Yikes. Could be good news if you're a Cavs fan lol.

That NFL tv money must be fantastic. But you'd think you'd want to clean up you're NFL product before investing in another pro franchise.

I don't hate the rich, but holy crap I couldn't imagine having all that money.

I don't get it.  It seems the majority of fans bitch about Haslam being too hands on, now they bitch about this, which clearly isn't going to make him more hands on.

I love the Browns, but it seems that many of the fans are just complainers, and they complain even when it doesn't make any sense.

8 hours ago, ballpeen said:

it seems that many of the fans are just complainers,

Yup.  No matter where ya go.  But here, he'll have a team trying to beat the hometown Cavs.   Not that I have any skin in the game.  I've always been a Knicks fan.

11 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I don't get it.  It seems the majority of fans bitch about Haslam being too hands on, now they bitch about this, which clearly isn't going to make him more hands on.

I love the Browns, but it seems that many of the fans are just complainers, and they complain even when it doesn't make any sense.

And you're complaining about complainers, which makes you the ultimate complainer.

What we really want is for Haslam to sell the team to a competent owner.

7 hours ago, BernieSuperBowl2 said:

And you're complaining about complainers, which makes you the ultimate complainer.

What we really want is for Haslam to sell the team to a competent owner.

I am not complaining.  Just making a point.  As for competent owner, who should become the teams competent owner?  What would make them competent?

10 hours ago, Orion said:

Yup.  No matter where ya go.  But here, he'll have a team trying to beat the hometown Cavs.   Not that I have any skin in the game.  I've always been a Knicks fan.

You have a point, but I don't know how much a part owner really impacts a teams ability to win.  It seems to me that for the super wealthy, investing in a sports team is a good place to park your money.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2023 at 5:05 AM, ballpeen said:

I don't know how much a part owner really impacts a teams ability to win

The guy who's selling is one of two who ran it and has turned down offers to sell before.

They have to sign off on everything other than the basketball plays -- marketing, contracts dealing with food/upkeep/shows when team isn't playing, arena upgrades etc.

Also they're a pretty big part of agreeing to pay luxury tax which Bucks are somehow >70M into this season.

So if you have a Mike Brown who wants to do everything cheap, you have to luck into a transcendant talent [Burrow] to do anything.

Or, and this is the key for the ownership, [one] ensure you keep the staff around to train those picks up and [two] recognize when to shift to "Now We Can Actually Win" mode and be willing to spend extra money on the bench players, the promotion staff, etc.  Sure, hands off, but they can't be checked out.

I can only wish Haslam always wanted to own NBA and so will now look to sell the Browns.

On 2/14/2023 at 5:05 AM, ballpeen said:

You have a point, but I don't know how much a part owner really impacts a teams ability to win.  It seems to me that for the super wealthy, investing in a sports team is a good place to park your money.

Yeah, it's got to be a good place to park your money if you're super wealthy.

As for your first point, just recall Haslam's meddling in the 2014 draft with Manziel, and his hand- picked GM Ray Farmer that sabotaged a 6-3 start to a season. 

Furthermore, Haslam's trust in DePodesta is mind boggling. I'm of the opinion that DePodesta's influence has handcuffed the Browns ability to win the last 2 seasons...I don't know if it can be proven, but I seriously doubt Stefanski/Berry okayed the "play an injured Baker" plan, that had to come from above.

Also, ultimately the 2022 season was blown up by a questionable QB acquisition, & ignoring basic needs like DT. Time will tell what the long term effects will be of the DW signing ( we hope it's playoffs/a contender) but Haslam definitely had to sign off on it.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Bob806 said:

I seriously doubt Stefanski/Berry okayed the "play an injured Baker" plan

The thing is, Baker was cleared to be practicing and playing by the medical staff.  That would be quite a controversial decision, to sit your #1 overall draft pick QB, who was medically cleared to play.  If you lose that game, you've got some answering to do.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Orion said:

The thing is, Baker was cleared to be practicing and playing by the medical staff.  That would be quite a controversial decision, to sit your #1 overall draft pick QB, who was medically cleared to play.  If you lose that game, you've got some answering to do.   

They went 8-9. He was injured in week 2 (or 3?). Basically played the whole season except for the last game and the Denver Thurs night game. 

I don't think the Browns medical staff cleared him, it was a 2nd opinion Baker got from another Dr. 

17 hours ago, Bob806 said:

Yeah, it's got to be a good place to park your money if you're super wealthy.

As for your first point, just recall Haslam's meddling in the 2014 draft with Manziel, and his hand- picked GM Ray Farmer that sabotaged a 6-3 start to a season. 

Furthermore, Haslam's trust in DePodesta is mind boggling. I'm of the opinion that DePodesta's influence has handcuffed the Browns ability to win the last 2 seasons...I don't know if it can be proven, but I seriously doubt Stefanski/Berry okayed the "play an injured Baker" plan, that had to come from above.

Also, ultimately the 2022 season was blown up by a questionable QB acquisition, & ignoring basic needs like DT. Time will tell what the long term effects will be of the DW signing ( we hope it's playoffs/a contender) but Haslam definitely had to sign off on it.

All of that is well and good, if in fact as true as you think.  I still don't see how him owning the Bucks will have anything to do with the Browns. Him owing the Bucks won't make him better or worse as the owner of the Browns.

I get that you don't like Haslam, which is fine. At least some of that dislike has been earned.  If you are a fan of the Bucks, I would understand your concern but as far as how this will impact the Browns, I just feel you are squawking to squawk, and I don't mean that as some sort of snack talk.  All of those teams are separate corporations, so one isn't going to impact another if they run in to some sort of trouble.

Heck, if anything it might take Haslam's focus away from the Browns just a bit, which by the arguments you make would seem to be a good thing.

8 hours ago, Bob806 said:

They went 8-9. He was injured in week 2 (or 3?). Basically played the whole season except for the last game and the Denver Thurs night game. 

I don't think the Browns medical staff cleared him, it was a 2nd opinion Baker got from another Dr. 

I looked around and couldn't find which doctor it was that you think cleared him.

At any rate, he got the clearance.  Then Baker went on his rant about playing.  How it was his decision.

Anyway, that is old news.  He played his way out of Cleveland and that chapter about the Browns is over.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ballpeen said:

All of that is well and good, if in fact as true as you think.  I still don't see how him owning the Bucks will have anything to do with the Browns. Him owing the Bucks won't make him better or worse as the owner of the Browns.

I get that you don't like Haslam, which is fine. At least some of that dislike has been earned.  If you are a fan of the Bucks, I would understand your concern but as far as how this will impact the Browns, I just feel you are squawking to squawk, and I don't mean that as some sort of snack talk.  All of those teams are separate corporations, so one isn't going to impact another if they run in to some sort of trouble.

Heck, if anything it might take Haslam's focus away from the Browns just a bit, which by the arguments you make would seem to be a good thing.

Well I'll rant once again...I know you're a season ticket holder like me.

My seats went up $100. I'm not thrilled about that- to Haslam's credit, he didn't raise ticket prices hardly at all after he took over, yet I believe this is the 3rd straight year of increases...why?

I've been arguing with the Browns/my ticket agent about when the money is due. It's due March 24th....in general I've been ok with that, but not anymore.

We send our $$ in before FA & the Draft. It's like buying a used car unseen...just is a stupid policy IMHO. 

So are we/did we help fund his Milwaukee Bucks purchase?😕

I agree about money due before FA and the draft.  I guess i would renew none the less.

I am not sure if mine went up.  I will have to look at my credit card statement to figure that out.

I do know my invoice is for $4500 minus some credit.

So, I do agree, today isn't the best day to talk about owners an such...lol

16 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

I’ll just drop this here as a reminder. . .

E3D0C1A0-ADE9-4FA5-B592-BFAAB995D303.jpeg

Is it any wonder why the Browns consistently suck?... I say not anymore... The Haslams are total DIP SHITS!

On 2/28/2023 at 10:33 PM, Orion said:

Isn't the Crew the home team for the Cleveland area fans?  The Bucks, on the other hand, would be a rival of the Cavs.   

Sure is....been that way for a good while.

I don't see a problem or any reason why an owner of a team should limit their opportunities in another sport.  I don't see a conflict of interest.

1 hour ago, ballpeen said:

I don't see a problem or any reason why an owner of a team should limit their opportunities in another sport.  I don't see a conflict of interest.

.......I'm just sayin'.....he's buying into a rival of the home team fans.   If he gets full ownership the Bucks will be wearing polka dot uniforms.

1 hour ago, Orion said:

.......I'm just sayin'.....he's buying into a rival of the home team fans.   If he gets full ownership the Bucks will be wearing polka dot uniforms.

or in let's say 5 years he sells his share's  and uses said money on a new stadium