THE BROWNS BOARD

Jimmy Carter

ballpeen

I am a staunch conservative. That said I am sad to hear the latest news about Jimmy Carter. As a President Mr. Carter wasn't very good.  Probably even bad. As an Ex President, he was exemplary. Maybe the best this country has had.  

Maybe 10-12 years ago my wife and I went to Plains, Ga to attend church where Mr. Carter taught Sunday School before service.  It was an experience we will never forget. After service we got a nice picture with him and his wife.  I would post it up but it is for the moment lost somewhere in the friggen cloud.

At any rate, I wish him and his family the best in these final days.  The son of a peanut farmer, Naval academy graduate, Governor, President, Nobel Peace Prize winner, all the while being a stand-up guy.

Well done Sir, a life well lived, and then some.

• Thanks 3

41 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

Terrible President…great human being.

In all fairness he inherited  bad situation when inflation was running rampant far worse than now.

As a president maybe not on the A list but in years after leaving the White House probably none better.

He's deserved his trip back home.

7 hours ago, mjp28 said:

In all fairness he inherited  bad situation when inflation was running rampant far worse than now.

As a president maybe not on the A list but in years after leaving the White House probably none better.

As far as the American economy, I would agree.

However, his foreign policies were abysmal and the rest of the world viewed him as weak.

Off the top of my head, there was the Iranian hostage crisis, Iraq invaded Iran, the Russians invaded Afghanistan and were establishing themselves in Pakistan. Then he had to deal with the uprising of Communism in Nicaragua.

When Reagan took office, he drew a line in the sand and put the Soviet Union in its place.

• Thanks 1

Despite Party lines... JC is a great human being,,, I remember this poster as being displayed outside Spencers Gift Shop at Euclid Square Mall when I was a young teen

CJCSA.thumb.png.adae9f7e57047800ff59d28503f866d0.png

10 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Boy are you wrong.  He sucked as President.  Number 3 worst after Biden and Obama.    Thank God Reagan came in and cleaned up his mess.  You lefties are really fucking brainwashed.  When I was on Recruiting Duty in Schenectady, NY I lived in Army housing in Rotterdam.  A small 3 bedroom condo and there was a plaque on the traffic circle.  I lived right next door to where old Peanut Farmer lived when he was going thru Nuc school.

I lived on the end unit, he had lived in the one on the right.

Home of Jimmy Carter - Rotterdam, New York image. Click for full size.

Jimmy Carter Home Plaque on Stone Base image. Click for full size.

• Upvote 1

My cousin was a lifer in the army. Served as an advisor to S. Vietnamese troops in Laos and Cambodia.

etc etc etc. After he retired, he worked because military pensions were cut.

Pres Carter tells Defense Dept gathering, Washington, that he will name blue ribbon comm to study ways of curbing rising and 'almost uncontrollable' cost of mil retirement pensions; describes as ...

Carter was a decent man, but was naive, a liberal ideologue, a terrible president. "Let's cut our nukes so russia will be nice to us and be our friend."

https://www.heritage.org/defense/report/carters-defense-budget

"Let's cut social security" Jimmy Carter

Jimmy Carter

By the late 1970s, Social Security was in dire financial straits and the program was on an unsustainable course. In an effort to shore up the program’s long-term financial solvency, President Carter signed the Social Security Amendments of 1977. The amendments contained changes that Congress made to how benefits would be computed.

The changes generally lowered the amount that beneficiaries received. They also, however, raised taxes to increase future revenues.

"Let's change stuff so we can feel like we are do gooders" Jimmy Carter

https://www.life-benefits.com/deja-vu-repeating-jimmy-carters-failed-economic-policies/

"

Carter loved Keynesianism, the economic philosophy which theorizes that the willingness of the population to spend money is what drives economic development.  With this guiding philosophy Carter assumed if people ran out of money, all that was necessary to bolster the economy was to print more money and give it to them.  After all Keynesianism purported it was the poorer classes who were willing to spend indiscriminately without any forethought as to how money could enhance their future if spent differently.

Historically, we know when more money is printed or injected into the economy, prices rise on goods and services. This is exactly what happened under the Carter administration when inflation rose to 11.3% and averaged 7.1% throughout his presidency.  Not only did prices rise, but unemployment rose to 6%, creating a new and confusing situation which had never been observed before.  It was called stagflation. This is when inflation and unemployment occur at high levels at the same time.  Naturally, Carter and Biden belittled and attacked Reagan’s supply-side, tax cutting economic plan throughout the 1980 presidential election. But the American people were sick and tired of Carter’s failed economic policies and the rest is history. Reagan won the election and restored the American economy.  Reagan restored the economy so well that in 1984 he carried 49 of the 50 states, and all but 13 of the 538 electoral college votes were cast in his favor.

Knowing all this, Biden would be wise not to repeat the same mistakes his friend Jimmy Carter made while sitting in the Oval Office.  Yet, Biden is not only repeating Carter’s mistakes he is replicating them on steroids.  He is determined to raise taxes and is currently giving money away to people who haven’t created any value in exchange for that money.  Biden is literally “Going Back to the Future” to the Carter years. And this seems to be his presidential theme. Even Lawrence Summers, a revered economic advisor for Clinton and Obama, has warned:"

Jimmy Carter played to the liberal subculture in American politics. It's their base.

ObaMao commie slashed military pensions. biden is repeating what Jimmy Carter did, on steriods as the article says above.

Jimmy Carter was a very decent man - but his policies miserably failed because his Christian idealism was misplaced, he went on "Works" in his life - to BE that Christian he wanted to be. His works were counter-productive to put it mildly.

7 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

As far as the American economy, I would agree.

However, his foreign policies were abysmal and the rest of the world viewed him as weak.

Off the top of my head, there was the Iranian hostage crisis, Iraq invaded Iran, the Russians invaded Afghanistan and were establishing themselves in Pakistan. Then he had to deal with the uprising of Communism in Nicaragua.

When Reagan took office, he drew a line in the sand and put the Soviet Union in its place.

True on "Ronnie ray-gun"  remember that era ?  But president Ronald Reagan did a whole lot on getting our military out of that dreary post Vietnam era funk into the leadership of the free world.   

Jimmy Carter took over the post Richard Nixon Watergate fiasco,  Gerald Ford was a decent person who also was dealing with the inflation mess.  I remember working in maintenance with US Steel and we couldn't get prices on anything.   Then the American industrial meltdown which started in the late 1970s.

American history a fascinating long running story with the smooth transition of power which still continues to this day.

Jimmy Carter did his part and moved on to help humanity.

2 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

IMO, Jimmy was better for the USA AFTER he left the WH.

Foreign policy wise yes.   Reagan was the great communicator and put the USSR in their place.

Funny how siblings can differ.  Here you have one son who gets the highest grades in school, becomes a naval officer with nuclear credentials, a state Governor, US President and high achiever in many endeavors well in to his 90's, and then you have the other son who was good at being a good ole' boy, happy running his gas station and not thinking much beyond what was going to be on the dinner table that night.  Must have made for some interesting discussion at the family dinner table.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1