THE BROWNS BOARD

Special Teams Coach Mike Priefer Fired

Canton Dawg

I was wondering if that was going to happen.  I have somewhat mixed emotions, but whatever.

As for other assistants, it looks like we will be keeping most.  It seems that Schwartz has had long enough to review and talk to the other defensive coaches to make decisions on that, but the season just ended.  Lot's of new heads are bring hired, so we never know who might become free over the next several weeks as they make their coaching changes.

2 hours ago, nickers said:

Well hell.. Fire everybody!

Like the old saying   .... " it's easier to fire  one  man than everyone responsible " .....  whether it's true or not.  But the S/T teams were really bad at times last season.

13 minutes ago, D Bone said:

Now Kevin just needs to fire the offensive play caller. 

Naw that'll never happen... It will ensure his ouster next season..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Korsou Dawg said:

Knock on wood, but we seem to be making all the right decisions so far this off-season. We might consider lighting some candles at our local houses of worship to keep this up.

It does make me wonder what took so long though...

Browns reportedly are interested in interviewing Bubba Ventone, an ex-Browns special teamer, to replace Priefer. 

11 hours ago, ballpeen said:

As for other assistants, it looks like we will be keeping most.  It seems that Schwartz has had long enough to review and talk to the other defensive coaches to make decisions on that,

Schwartz was asked if he'd be making any assistant coaching changes at his original press conference, and pretty much he said, Who?  Me?  Those are Kevin's coaches.  You'll have to ask him about his coaches.  I was hired as the DC.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Orion said:

Schwartz was asked if he'd be making any assistant coaching changes at his original press conference, and pretty much he said, Who?  Me?  Those are Kevin's coaches.  You'll have to ask him about his coaches.  I was hired as the DC.

Fair enough.  I still think Schwartz would have input.

9 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

It does make me wonder what took so long though...

Browns reportedly are interested in interviewing Bubba Ventone, an ex-Browns special teamer, to replace Priefer. 

So long? SB was just the other day. It is literally the beginning of the off-season. If you were hoping for a dismissal in the course of the season, it makes getting a good replacement that much harder. 

Apparently, is "highly-sought after." Makes you wonder if he would just skip teams for the same position. Browns background may help.

9 hours ago, Orion said:

8 hours ago, ballpeen said:

Fair enough.  I still think Schwartz would have input.

I think he will have input, and was just being polite. 

• Like 1

Schwartz 1st hire is a Safety position coach..  https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2023/2/21/23608879/browns-hiring-ephraim-banda-utah-state-jim-schwartz

still in search of a Cornerback's coach.. and

ST's coach...

I’m told #Giants assistant special teams coach Anthony Blevins’ interview with the #Browns for their vacant ST coordinator position is scheduled for Wednesday via zoom, per league source.

With the coaching change at Colts.. I don't think Bubba has to wait for anybodies permission slip ? nor upgrade coaching title

ST Coach target A...

FpgEPnXXwAM0q4I.jpg.86132b39407ba68b45dc5bfe1c954794.jpg Colts fans ain't happy & want a draft pick 😁

Might two comeback to Cleveland?  stay tuned

USATSI_19747475.webp

It’s not a good look shaking up the coaching staff going into Kev’s 4th season.

Its looking like Stefanski is getting a very short leash from Jimmah & DePud in 2023.

Unless things get turned around this year, it’s more than likely Kevin’s last year as HC.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Korsou Dawg said:

So long? SB was just the other day. It is literally the beginning of the off-season. If you were hoping for a dismissal in the course of the season, it makes getting a good replacement that much harder.

Joe Woods was fired January 9th. 

Thus, I still wonder why it took the Browns until February 21st to finally pull the trigger on Priefer. 

1 hour ago, Canton Dawg said:

Its looking like Stefanski is getting a very short leash from Jimmah & DePud in 2023.

Unless things get turned around this year, it’s more than likely Kevin’s last year as HC.

I agree even if I don't agree with the philosophy. DePud is THE problem in my eyes, kind of a middle-man between Berry & Stefanski, or Berry & Haslam...probably the latter.

I wish Stefanski well. Damnit we fans cannot continue to wait wait wait. 

Turning to a new staff in 2024 virtually guarantees more waiting. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bob806 said:

I agree even if I don't agree with the philosophy. DePud is THE problem in my eyes, kind of a middle-man between Berry & Stefanski, or Berry & Haslam...probably the latter.

I wish Stefanski well. Damnit we fans cannot continue to wait wait wait. 

Turning to a new staff in 2024 virtually guarantees more waiting. 

With no 1st rnd draft picks till 25.. Yeah... I want to coach a team with that set up.. LOL

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Thus, I still wonder why it took the Browns until February 21st to finally pull the trigger on Priefer. 

my guess is that they were waiting to see what kind of upgrade they could get unlike in years past where they would fire someone and have no plan in place 

57 minutes ago, syd said:

my guess is that they were waiting to see what kind of upgrade they could get unlike in years past where they would fire someone and have no plan in place 

I don't know that Bubba Ventrone is an "UPGRADE" But he's an interesting Candidate..

26 minutes ago, nickers said:

I don't know that Bubba Ventrone is an "UPGRADE" But he's an interesting Candidate..

Ventrone, 40, has established himself as one of the best special teams coordinators in the NFL over the past five seasons in Indianapolis, annually presiding over excellent coverage and return units while simultaneously helping players like Zach Pascal, Zaire Franklin and Isaiah Rodgers develop from special teamers into valuable contributors on offense or defense

yes  i would say he is a upgrade

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, syd said:

Ventrone, 40, has established himself as one of the best special teams coordinators in the NFL over the past five seasons in Indianapolis, annually presiding over excellent coverage and return units while simultaneously helping players like Zach Pascal, Zaire Franklin and Isaiah Rodgers develop from special teamers into valuable contributors on offense or defense

yes  i would say he is a upgrade

When he wins multiple SB's... Let us know... So far... He's no better than the last dude

• Haha 1

I mean just off the top of my head, Cleveland could do no less damage than Prief giving Josh Cribbs/ Jim Leonhard/ Bubba Vetrone/ Johnson Bademosi or

Zombo's greatest browns ever ST'er Tank Carder a ring.. 📞   

Can you continue to hold ?   :)

MKC edit-- https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2023/02/browns-complete-interviews-with-colts-bubba-ventrone-and-giants-anthony-blevins-for-special-teams-coordinator.html

12 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

I don’t see it that way.

Keep in mind coming into last season we had the entire staff in back…I believe for three seasons. That kind of continuity is rare in the NFL.

I was hoping…believing actually that the familiarity would be a huge bonus coming into last season.  

Missing the playoffs while having Sluggish playcalling…in game collapses and namely the defense speaking out in season will be his undoing 

We made necessary moves…kept our offensive line coach, got rid of the defensive coordinator and special teams coaches-sorry but  we could attribute loses to those two 

32 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Fisher just did that to himself at A&M and hired former Arky HC Bobby Petrino as his new OC/Playcaller. 

Petrino is a prick... Can't stand him...

23 hours ago, Orion said:

Can he fire DePodesta?

I say this...but actually, in principal, I agree with DePo in that I'd rather be a great passing team.  I mean, all ya gotta do is look at who's hovering around championship games every year.  (imagine if the 49'ers had a really good QB)  But I think they force-applied it this past year to a team that didn't have the QB to play the roll of Josh Allen, or Burrow, or, etc.  They should've been more conservative on the 4th down plays.  They should've taken points in either flavor, FG or TD.  And they should've leaned on the run as much as possible.  It's nice to aspire to be a certain type of offense.  But you've gotta live in the moment.  You've gotta do what your current cast of characters is capable of doing best.  - Now, it is possible, as the Ghoul suggests, that the Haslem/DePodesta team require Stef to coach and call plays the way they want (throw and be aggressive).  Or maybe it's all on Stef.   ??

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Fisher just did that to himself at A&M and hired former Arky HC Bobby Petrino as his new OC/Playcaller. 

Great to see you brother! 

• Upvote 1