THE BROWNS BOARD

Special Teams Coach Mike Priefer Fired

Canton Dawg

11 hours ago, nickers said:

With no 1st rnd draft picks till 25.. Yeah... I want to coach a team with that set up.. LOL

If Watson pans out as expected, we won't miss the next 2 first rounders.  That assumes we make the most of the picks we do have and find at least 2-3 starters over the next 2 drafts.

I think a big part of Berrys job these next two drafts is to not think so much about a players ceiling but rather to think about the floor.  I don't like to say make safe picks, but that might be the only way to describe it.

15 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Joe Woods was fired January 9th. 

Thus, I still wonder why it took the Browns until February 21st to finally pull the trigger on Priefer. 

You needed to wait to see who might be available.  Kind of like it not being smart to quit a job before you have a job.

58 minutes ago, ballpeen said:

If Watson pans out as expected, we won't miss the next 2 first rounders.  That assumes we make the most of the picks we do have and find at least 2-3 starters over the next 2 drafts.

I think a big part of Berrys job these next two drafts is to not think so much about a players ceiling but rather to think about the floor.  I don't like to say make safe picks, but that might be the only way to describe it.

Watson is washed up LOL... Puhleeze.. He will N O T pan out

11 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

I don’t see it that way.

Keep in mind coming into last season we had the entire staff in back…I believe for three seasons. That kind of continuity is rare in the NFL.

I was hoping…believing actually that the familiarity would be a huge bonus coming into last season.  

Missing the playoffs while having Sluggish playcalling…in game collapses and namely the defense speaking out in season will be his undoing 

We made necessary moves…kept our offensive line coach, got rid of the defensive coordinator and special teams coaches-sorry but  we could attribute loses to those two 

The NFL is all about stats, the ultimate stat is wins & losses.

The Browns high water mark was in 2020, and the losses are piling up.

Since that time there’s been personnel changes at WR, QB, S, DC, and ST Coach.

To quote my favorite Cleveland sports guy Ken Carman, “Stefanski is running out of scapegoats”.

I think it’s common knowledge in NE Ohio that Kev is now on notice it’s time to shine.

I still believe anything less than a deep playoff run, this will be his last year as HC.

17 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

The NFL is all about stats, the ultimate stat is wins & losses.

The Browns high water mark was in 2020, and the losses are piling up.

To quote my favorite Cleveland sports guy Ken Carman, “Stefanski is running out of scapegoats”.

I think it’s common knowledge in NE Ohio that Kev is now on notice it’s time to shine.

I still believe anything less than a deep playoff run, this will be his last year as HC.

I don't agree that it has to be a deep playoff run.  I do agree we probably need to win 10-11 games.  I don't know at what point Stefanski might get the axe, but it could be as early as week 3 if we start 0-3.  By the time week 7 is finished, 4-3 is probably where i would want to be at minimum if I was him.  It might have to be better depending on who we play and if there are any screwed up losses.

I think we all know the difference between a loss and a screwed up loss.  At least we should.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, ballpeen said:

I think we all know the difference between a loss and a screwed up loss.  At least we should.

We have been the masters of both.  Need I point to 1st and goal on the Steeler 1 yard line in OT?  And we lost....

19 hours ago, syd said:

Ventrone, 40, has established himself as one of the best special teams coordinators in the NFL over the past five seasons in Indianapolis, annually presiding over excellent coverage and return units while simultaneously helping players like Zach Pascal, Zaire Franklin and Isaiah Rodgers develop from special teamers into valuable contributors on offense or defense

yes  i would say he is a upgrade

It comes as no surprise that other teams are interested in Ventrone, who has helped the Colts' special teams unit improve every season since arriving on the scene in 2018. 

God forbid our special teams improve every year. Old @nickerswould have less to nag and bitch about. Taking away a man's reasons to live is just cruel. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

The WR changes have been the departures of Odell and Juice along with the addition of Cooper this year.   That really isn't a point with any finality. 

QB changes from 2020 went from Baker to Brissett. So that's about a wash.  Actually Jacoby enjoyed one of his more statistically efficient seasons in CLE. 

The Safety changes have been upgrading from, quite literally, the worst safety duo in the NFL during that 2020 season, so at least one that is about league average.  Impressive. 

DC has been Woods from 2020 to 2022.  So there has been no change from the "high water mark", and I have zero idea where you were going with this. 

Also, Ken Carmen, like most local sports talk show hosts, are hacks.  Mary Kay with her columns, Ken, Grossi... Etc etc.  If Carmen is your favorite, then I'd suggest looking for football talk with less sensationalism and more substance.  

1 minute ago, tiamat63 said:

The WR changes have been the departures of Odell and Juice along with the addition of Cooper this year.   That really isn't a point with any finality. 

QB changes from 2020 went from Baker to Brissett. So that's about a wash.  Actually Jacoby enjoyed one of his more statistically efficient seasons in CLE. 

The Safety changes have been upgrading from, quite literally, the worst safety duo in the NFL during that 2020 season, so at least one that is about league average.  Impressive. 

DC has been Woods from 2020 to 2022.  So there has been no change from the "high water mark", and I have zero idea where you were going with this. 

Also, Ken Carmen, like most local sports talk show hosts, are hacks.  Mary Kay with her columns, Ken, Grossi... Etc etc.  If Carmen is your favorite, then I'd suggest looking for football talk with less sensationalism and more substance.  

I’ll simplify this for you….Kev needs to win or he’s gone.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

I’ll simplify this for you….Kev needs to win or he’s gone.

That's every coach.  But if your expectation is Superbowl or fired, then we need to be a bit more realistic about said expectations.  

The AFC is as strong as I've seen it since Manning, Brady and Ben were in their prime. 

2 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

Kev’s mid season replacement? 🤔

Something to that extent must have been dangled in front of him. As much as I love my Browns, I do not see how a successful and highly sought after ST Coordinator just makes a sideways move to us, without being 'incentivized.' 

Regardless, count your blessings. Similarly to Schwartz, we got the best candidate available. How often do we get to say that? Let alone twice in the same off-season. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Korsou Dawg said:

Apparently Bubba deal is done, and he is also getting the title of assistant HC.

I though Callie Brownson held that title.. But then I thought I heard the other day shes coaching Receivers?...  I haven't seen anything yet that says the Bubba deal is done beside a lot of interweb chatter......

2 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

Kev’s mid season replacement? 🤔

Schwartz is probably that guy.  And I don’t think we need a deep playoff run, but I think we need to make the playoffs.  

8-9 and 7-10 respectively were unacceptable given the roster we had.  

It seems like the organization knew the DC had to go, Likely felt Preifer needed to go and he ultimately did, had to do what it needed to do to keep Callahan…and I think Stefanski probably got a put up or get the hell out speech.  

I have to say I’m happy.  Of course    See me again October 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Schwartz is probably that guy.  And I don’t think we need a deep playoff run, but I think we need to make the playoffs.  

8-9 and 7-10 respectively were unacceptable given the roster we had.  

It seems like the organization knew the DC had to go, Likely felt Preifer needed to go and he ultimately did, had to do what it needed to do to keep Callahan…and I think Stefanski probably got a put up or get the hell out speech.  

I have to say I’m happy.    

Won't say I'm happy but ever so "slightly' encouraged.. But... It's about Dubya's man..

35 minutes ago, Korsou Dawg said:

Regardless, count your blessings. Similarly to Schwartz, we got the best candidate available. How often do we get to say that? Let alone twice in the same off-season. 

So your telling me 🤓 Our beloved Browns..

Didn't wait until the last minute to take who's ever leftover.. While interviewing 3 each, early in a coaching process

Didn't have to piss off the world paying guaranteed money up front to a somewhat pervert..and

Didn't have to use words of.. "We need a Adult in the room" 

Excuse me... while I go run naked thru some Florida bushes  😂  I'll log back in Friday to see if any of this is still real

WELCOME BACK BUBBA ! 👍   LFG !

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nickers said:

I though Callie Brownson held that title.. But then I thought I heard the other day shes coaching Receivers?...  I haven't seen anything yet that says the Bubba deal is done beside a lot of interweb chatter......

Official: Browns name Bubba Ventrone special teams coordinator and assistant head coach

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2023/02/23/browns-bubba-ventrone-official/

2 minutes ago, Vambo said:

Official: Browns name Bubba Ventrone special teams coordinator and assistant head coach

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2023/02/23/browns-bubba-ventrone-official/

It also say the browns are looking at James Urban as OC coach... Interesting.. I thought that was AVP's responsibility.. Kevvy better give up play calling duties as well.. He sucks...

2 hours ago, Vambo said:

Run-game coordinator to DL coach.  That was Schwartz's idea we assume?

8 hours ago, Korsou Dawg said:

Apparently Bubba deal is done, and he is also getting the title of assistant HC.

...and here we 'asume' again that the title assistant HC is because without it, it would've been a lateral move?

I remember when he played for us.  And I remember that because of injuries, he had to play a couple/few times on the regular defense.  And I think I recall thinking that he was slow.  He recognized what was happening ok, but couldn't get there in time.  -  Villanova was his school.......I was skeptical about this at first......but he was a pretty good ST player......and he's been a ST coordinator for a handful of years now.   Perhaps he knows a thing or two and can get us on track.   I'm pullin' for him.

Just a word on lateral moves:  I think all moves are considered lateral unless it is a move to head coach.

I also don't think the title asst head coach would be a indicator that Ray would take the head coach job if Stefanski is removed during the season.  It might, but I don't think it is automatic.

7 hours ago, Orion said:

Well that kind of makes sense no?... I guy who has exp preparing runners and the running game should at least have some idea how to attack it... Just surmizing...

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, nickers said:

Well that kind of makes sense no?... I guy who has exp preparing runners and the running game should at least have some idea how to attack it... Just surmizing...

He is the defensive run game coordinator.  DL coach has been added to his duties.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, ballpeen said:

He is the defensive run game coordinator.  DL coach has been added to his duties.

Right because Stump Mitchel is the RB coach..

9 hours ago, Orion said:

...and here we 'asume' again that the title assistant HC is because without it, it would've been a lateral move?

I remember when he played for us.  And I remember that because of injuries, he had to play a couple/few times on the regular defense.  And I think I recall thinking that he was slow.  He recognized what was happening ok, but couldn't get there in time.  -  Villanova was his school.......I was skeptical about this at first......but he was a pretty good ST player......and he's been a ST coordinator for a handful of years now.   Perhaps he knows a thing or two and can get us on track.   I'm pullin' for him.

Calling it a lateral move is being kind. He had a great run with the Colts, which was noticed around the league, and even interviewed for their HC position a month ago. He is clearly on an upward trajectory. Without the Assistant HC label, the rest of the league would have probably seen more as a demotion. 

We are both rooting for him. With The Browns seemingly making all the right moves so far, part of me is getting very excited for next season. With my years supporting the Browns increasing, and the seemingly inevitable heartbreak that comes along with that, that part of me is going: "Danger, Will Robinson!"

• Upvote 1