THE BROWNS BOARD

Haslams committing to renovate Browns Stadium

Canton Dawg

10 hours ago, Vambo said:

Cool. 130 miles closer to my starting point.  Assuming I still have season tickets by the time this thing starts.  Columbus is only a 8 hour drive.  Stops included.

26 minutes ago, nickers said:

Fawcett stadium in Canton where the HOF is would make absolute sense...

How many does it hold?  Is it even big enough to meet season ticket demand?

8 hours ago, Bob806 said:

I read 23,000. Not big enough :(

Nope.  My guess is the team has maybe 40,000 or so season ticket holders.  You could cut their tickets in half, but you still would be near capacity.  It isn't good business to be totally sold out to season ticket holders.  You always want some tickets available to the general public.

• Upvote 1

maybe not.

Look: Cleveland Browns Have Responded To Ohio Stadium Rumor (msn.com)

Sounds like they will find a way to keep playing in the stadium, or at minimum stay in the area.  Seems I read somewhere that Canton could easily add 20,000 seats, even if temporary bleacher type seating.

If they can get up towards 40,000+ seats, it could be doable. If all season ticket holders had to give up a couple of games a year, I could see that as working.  How they might decide how that works....random draw, so be it, don't complain, it is what it is.

We went through this when the Haslams upgraded scoreboards, club sections and concourses, added some upper endzone sections and whatnot.  It took a couple of years and we were able to work through it.  Maybe this takes 3 years depending on what all they are planning to do.

Kind of like a home remodel.  It causes some disruption and adjustment for a period of time, but you can still live there.  This is just a bigger project with a longer adjustment period.

On 4/17/2023 at 10:15 PM, Orion said:

Did anyone else constantly check in on that stadium cam when the stadium was being built?  I sure did.  It was my 'fix' to hold me over during 'no Browns'.   I didn't even watch much football during that time.  I didn't have a dog in the race.  

I hope they build a new stadium with a retractable roof.  With a special sealed off section where, during winter weather games the roof can be closed but that 'special section' can have cold sideways rain / snow pumped in for the lumberjacks that enjoy that weather.  :)     

...and let there be Brownie Elf statues constructed here and there throughout the grounds.  

Yep, and during the remodel when they add the scoreboards etc.  Looked at it every day.  Maybe several times a day when it looked like something showing real progress was in the works.  Some things you don't notice, then BAM, look at all those new steel beams!

• Like 1

Oh the twist and turns of this story!

If they renovate CBS instead of building a new stadium, I predict down the road we'll have a Bears situation where tons of money is sunk into the existing stadium just for the team to eventually say "Eh, we still don't really care for this" and a new stadium has to get built anyway. The Bears appear to be leaving Chicago and rebuilt Soldier Field for the suburbs.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, VaporTrail said:

How much are Cuyahoga County residents going to be expected to pay?

In the end, who cares?  If a city wants to keep a team, they have to pay for stadiums, or at least a large portion.  It's not like people in the area are going to get a tax bill for $900.  They will pay it a nickel here, a nickel there over 20 years.

We have been through a city and owner in a pissing contest over playing facilities and the team moved.  I hope people are smart enough to understand a NFL team is worth a lot of money to a community.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, ballpeen said:

We have been through a city and owner in a pissing contest over playing facilities and the team moved.  I hope people are smart enough to understand a NFL team is worth a lot of money to a community.

And if they do it right, making a complex that ties into the waterfront,  it could be a place to visit.  Rather than a big concrete thing.  Look, if you've gotta fork out for a new stadium in order to keep the team (we don't want to lose them again, do we) then do the whole area up right.  Make it more than just a place to gather for ten football games a year.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Orion said:

we don't want to lose them again, do we

Eh, it's just a sport, I could care less. This reincarnation of the Browns hasn't really worked out since 1999, with what (3?) winning seasons in the last 23 years? I never got to watch the Browns when they were good and winning championships. The Cavs are in the playoffs without LeBron for the first time so that's where I will be. At least the Cavs know how to build a winner.

1 hour ago, Neo said:

Eh, it's just a sport, I could care less.

I'm going to assume that that might be a common view among fringe Browns fans....along with those who can't get past who the current QB is.

1 hour ago, Orion said:

I'm going to assume that that might be a common view among fringe Browns fans....along with those who can't get past who the current QB is.

I didn't start watching the Browns until 1995 and they were gone just a few years later. I don't have an emotional attachment to the team that some of the old guys do.  I would imagine the generation younger than I am would feel the same.