THE BROWNS BOARD

Open AI

This is a subject worthy of discussion fraught with dangers and benefits for society at large. Like V Ger or the Borg regardless of anybody's opinion of it I don't think it can be stopped.

I think it's some interesting and even frightening shit. Anybody have any thoughts on this other than the usual garbage?

WSS

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

This is a subject worthy of discussion fraught with dangers and benefits for society at large. Like V Ger or the Borg regardless of anybody's opinion of it I don't think it can be stopped.

I think it's some interesting and even frightening shit. Anybody have any thoughts on this other than the usual garbage?

WSS

I wonder what Trans AI will think of us all! :P😂

• Haha 1

but seriously, having been a corp programmer/analyst-business analyst - I've written software for decades, some pretty amazing stuff at times.

I do have serious concerns - advancing AI to further and further limits - is worse than counter-productive -

it's extremely dangerous.

Most notably - when human beings become who they are, the growing process ("self-actualization"), the effects of events and experiences, et all, cannot be duplicated.

No matter how much the scientists try to emulate it - they can't. On a very small scale, I've spent so much of my career throwing out software that was festered with bad design from the beginning. Unpredictable. Some companies weren't happy with my telling them that - and I would end up at a white board explaining what was inherently wrong with their software such that it was impossible to fix. Some software grew to many thousands of lines of code. Rat's nest code - so often - some programmer takes off and goes all over the place trying to make a program happen, til eventually he gets to the end.

the trouble is - the code breaks here and there. Problems often include the invalid use of variables, the narrow focus of quick local solutions, poor constructs, and invalid assumptions on input of data, etc.

Now, if the scientists don't do any of that crap, and truly are excellent programmers- great. But like Data on Star Trek - the human condition can't be replicated completely. It's an exercise in futility. Impossible.

Now, an AI police dog or policeman? an AI soldier? surgeon? Even an AI clerk at a fast food place - would that clerk notice someone choking? going into labor? AI paramedic?

I'm thinking maybe an AI circuit damaged serial killer or something.

Hope - it's very dangerous due to the limitations - the subjective development of the human soul cannot be duplicated in code.

at least Jim Kirk and Spock turned Vger into a self destruct solution.

and they pulled the plug on the other out of control mad minded computer (i dont remember acronym) that tallied up war losses with another 

competing planet by assigning people into death chambers...

BUT look here!

the scientists and tech luminaries (who must be in the know?) are saying we need a 6 month moratorium on more powerful  AI systems

and it relies on the wisdom and power of (get this) the government to regulate this! 

we are so scroowed

https://www.scmagazine.com/news/emerging-technology/tech-luminaries-call-artificial-intelligence-moratorium

16 minutes ago, FairHooker11 said:

at least Jim Kirk and Spock turned Vger into a self destruct solution.

and they pulled the plug on the other out of control mad minded computer (i dont remember acronym) that tallied up war losses with another 

competing planet by assigning people into death chambers...

BUT look here!

the scientists and tech luminaries (who must be in the know?) are saying we need a 6 month moratorium on more powerful  AI systems

and it relies on the wisdom and power of (get this) the government to regulate this! 

we are so scroowed

https://www.scmagazine.com/news/emerging-technology/tech-luminaries-call-artificial-intelligence-moratorium

Sure absolutely. They can call for whatever they want just keep in mind that if there are billions of dollars involved nobody is going to give a fuck whether whether they want. A moratorium or not. And even if there was how long do you think technology and progress can be held at Bay? How much difference do you think 6 months will make? 

WSS 

2 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Sure absolutely. They can call for whatever they want just keep in mind that if there are billions of dollars involved nobody is going to give a fuck whether whether they want. A moratorium or not. And even if there was how long do you think technology and progress can be held at Bay? How much difference do you think 6 months will make? 

WSS 

skynet called and said thanks for your support

• Haha 1

Should Skynet frightening me?

Wife and I were camping, one night, I'll repost - we watched it as it happened in the night sky around our campfire - it's very startling to witness it - you wonder what the?

aliens? war breaks out? what if it had been chinese AI nuke missile launchers dang it? EMP bombs? GENX garbage country "music" radio broadcast units ??????? lol

May 10, 2021A string of lights that lobbed across the night sky in parts of the U.S. on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday had some people wondering if a fleet of UFOs was coming, but it had others— mostly...

8 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

"any thoughts other than the usual garbage?"

First post .... Usual garbage 

You are Garbage... So there's that...

8 hours ago, Axe said:

The winner in the race to AI will be the ruler of the world for the foreseeable future..

It's the new Manhattan Project..

Kind of how yet it was beginning with the Bo and arrow on to the repeating rifle and on and on and on.

For the most part communications are at a point where it's unlikely that one group will figure something out that everybody isn't working on.

There are a lot less secrets than there were when we developed the atomic bomb.

WSS

I can see in the next 200 or so years or less AI determining Humans are not needed...