THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns have 35 mill in cap space!!!

Kvoethe

5 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Pay Chubb

I have two Browns jerseys, both Nick Chubb.

I'd love to see him end his career in Cleveland, but you can't pay everyone. 

The Browns can't hide from the salary cap monster forever. 

I can't help but think that these moves now are just Berry's version of shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic regarding the Browns cap. 

8 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

The Browns can't hide from the salary cap monster forever. 

Wouldn't cal it hiding, rather managing it in the best way possible. The cap is only applicable to the current season, so spreading out salaries to future years is the way to go. Especially since the cap has a habit of increasing. 

And, on a less positive note: if the Watson gamble doesn't pay off and Garret, Chubb and Ward are past their prime, a re-build is inevitable. You could simply do the opposite cap strategy: gut the team for picks, and bring salaries forward. Effectively pressing the reset button, and starting a new cycle.   

36 minutes ago, Korsou Dawg said:

Wouldn't cal it hiding, rather managing it in the best way possible. The cap is only applicable to the current season, so spreading out salaries to future years is the way to go. Especially since the cap has a habit of increasing. 

And, on a less positive note: if the Watson gamble doesn't pay off and Garret, Chubb and Ward are past their prime, a re-build is inevitable. You could simply do the opposite cap strategy: gut the team for picks, and bring salaries forward. Effectively pressing the reset button, and starting a new cycle.   

I won't even pretend that I understand how the cap works or how it can be manipulated, but you have to think that having so many players with big contracts is someday going to cause the team to have to let good, young players leave when they hit free agency, like Pittsburgh has had to do when they were paying Roethlisberger big money for so many years. Is this savvy cap management by Berry or is this "Hey, if we don't win now we won't have jobs so who cares about the cap in a couple of years?" situation? 

12 hours ago, Kvoethe said:

Restructured Myles.

So...who we goin after???

I think the Browns are projected to be around 45 mil over the cap next season.  I think the moves are putting us in position to deal with that next year.  We can roll the money over to next year.  With any increase in the cap next year, it won't be hard to trim say 5-7 mil from the roster, if that much.  Cooper and or DPJ could be a causality.

I wouldn't expect to see any big signings at this point.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

22 hours ago, ballpeen said:

We can roll the money over to next year

This. We're under the cap this year now nearly precisely the amount we're over the cap next year.

No signing incoming - just manipulating the definition of cap so that next year we don't have to release half the team to get under.