THE BROWNS BOARD

Conklin out for the year

LondonBrown

Conklin may retire. His injury list is getting to be too long. His knee structure is taking a hit - I think the damage is accumulative.

In 2018, with the Titans, Conklin recovered from an ACL tear in Jan. Had a concussion some weeks later, and in week 14 he suffered another knee injury.

In 2021, week 12, he suffered another knee injury. He tore his pattelar tendon.

Now this injury - I'm getting my second artificial knee in about two weeks - He's a great player, but how long he will decide to keep playing in pain -

but then, 7 years ago, my surgeon said my left knee was going to need to be replaced too, and I waited this long again.....

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

Do we give Jason turnstile Peters a call or some other viable vet?

we have leatherwood and Hudson but neither invoke confidence should Wills or Jones go down.

It can't hurt to give the turnstile a call.  Run it!  Rumor has it - he ran a 40 yard dash yesterday and he's almost done with it...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

Rappaport conforms he’s torn his ACL and wont play again 

As I posted in another thread, it's time to reach an injury settlement with Conklin, he just can't stay healthy. Though reviewing the injury, it was sort of a freak hit. 

I'm no expert on the cap ramifications, but checking Spotrac, I have to wonder how much of Jack's guaranteed money we'd still have to eat.  

& we saw it in preseason Dawand Jones is a keeper, played well yesterday. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'll be very interested how Jones does against Pittsburgh.

Probably up and down.  I know Steelers fans weren’t crazy about their Nose Tackle play and now Heyward out..jones may get plenty of help. 

Patrick Peterson struggled at Corner yesterday too.  Might be plays to be had downfield when Jones does his job. 

17 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Do we give Jason turnstile Peters a call or some other viable vet?

we have leatherwood and Hudson but neither invoke confidence should Wills or Jones go down.

I think we probably look towards Leatherwood as a back-up.  If Wills gets hurt, probably switch Jones to LT .  We played Bitonio at LT a few years ago.  Maybe we do that.

23 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Thank goodness for Dawand Jones - the big man seems to have very quick feet and balance.

We shall see Cal... The Steelers have some tape on him now. Expect Pittsburgh to test him early and often speed rushing TJ Watt. 

Regarding those "quick feet". I literally laughed when "slug" Orlando Brown Jr. got drafted in the third round. Couldn't forget that 50 year old Rick Eisen came within a foot of beating him in the forty running in a suit and tennis shoes. Orlando to my great surprise- has turned out pretty good- we can only hope Dawand turns out similarly.  :)  

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Probably up and down.  I know Steelers fans weren’t crazy about their Nose Tackle play and now Heyward out..jones may get plenty of help. 

Patrick Peterson struggled at Corner yesterday too.  Might be plays to be had downfield when Jones does his job. 

Heyward is OUT, Diontae Johnson doubtful.  Sort of feel bad for the Jets, their 50 million man lasted four plays.  Bills gifted them the MNF game...  

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Heyward is OUT, Diontae Johnson doubtful.  Sort of feel bad for the Jets, their 50 million man lasted four plays.  Bills gifted them the MNF game...  

Johnson is now out multiple weeks. 

One of their tackles is in Concussion protocol so their rookie might be starting against Myles. 

2 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/news/browns-sign-veteran-offensive-tackle

Looks like the Brownies signed a vet OT, Ty Nsehke. I don’t know much about him, including how to pronounce his name. 

A warm body that we hope will never see action in a game...  Seems like the practice squad rules have been greatly liberalized. Like you can now put a 37 year old guy who's played with multiple teams on the Practice Squad?   

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

A warm body

Well, he's played in over 100 NFL games...and started 25% of them.  Dewand Jones is a rookie 4th round pick.  Seems like a good signing to me.  Let's see what Callahan can do...

The Browns officially made five moves on their roster Tuesday:

• Placed Jack Conklin on IR
  • Signed Ty Nsekhe to the *practice squad*
  • Signed OL **Michael Dunn to the active, 53-man roster (played Bitonio's (covid) guard position at Pittsburgh in Wildcard win) 
  • Signed DT Tommy Togiai to the practice squad (Togi Back ! Released from Jags PS)
  • Released CB Lorenzo Burns from the practice squad 

Jed Will's had a x-ray after week 1. (watch for injury list Weds.)

James Hudson couldn't block TJ Watt in past years matchups in Pittsburgh (4 sacks)

Dawand Jones--James Hudson--Joel Bitonio if we got too....    play to win browns! 

• Upvote 1

On 9/11/2023 at 3:25 PM, Bob806 said:

Totally sucks, but next man up. 

I'm sure Berry & company are making phone calls. 

Oh yes ..... the business of football.   Working the phones after you check your computer.  Professional sports It's a 12 month business now.

• Upvote 1

On 9/12/2023 at 9:28 AM, Orion said:

If we have to go to that extent, we're screwed.

I don't know about screwed, but I agree it wouldn't be ideal.  No matter how you look at it, we would be weakening 2 positions rather than one.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ballpeen said:

I don't know about screwed, but I agree it wouldn't be ideal.  No matter how you look at it, we would be weakening 2 positions rather than one.

That was the prevailing argument the last time the “move Bitonio to Tackle” idea surfaced. Seemed like a few years ago, maybe on the heels of Joe Thomas’ retirement?

I actually thought he looked pretty good out there, but l get the argument about weakening 2 positions. 

Joel played the position and did a good job.  I am only looking at that as a possibility if Wills or Dewand get hurt. Dunn has done a good job at guard.  I don't see him as being weak at that position.

We drafted Hudson, but am not sure he is going to be all that good.  Marginal is my thinking.  We might need to think about drafting a few OTs over the next couple of years.