THE BROWNS BOARD

OSU Notre Dame

SdBacker80

What do you all think?

i thought OSU left points on the field last year during the 21-10 win over ND.

I think ND is going to spend time bracketing MH Jr.  That’s were Egbuka (who had a big game last year against ND) others like Henderson out of the backfield are going to make a difference.  You could see the 2 deep coverage that IU employed with some success but Stover was open.  I think Notre Dame is vulnerable in the secondary.   I  am terrified of Simmons holding up at tackle but in the games I’ve watched from ND this isn’t the same front they had last season but I don’t think the running game will go off but I think it keeps ND defense honest and may even hit chunk plays in the second half. ND secondary getting a lot of publicity last year it was their weak link of their defense.  They played Navy, Tenn Tech, CMU these aren’t pass oriented schools.  NC state qb was throwing up arm punts and had an incredibly slow delivery. 

The other side Sam Hartman is like 33 and he’s beaten three ranked teams in his entire career.  Their stud RB Estime was bottled up last year against OSU.  We’ve seen OSU take on heralded backs in the BigTen.  They have some large bodied targets that I think can be effective in the redzone but it is going to take work in between the 20s to get there.  They have some good pieces on the Oline including a first round talent tackle but they are arguably weaker than OSU in other spots and that has been apparent even in some of their lopsided games.

The surprise in this game will be the supposed vaunted ND secondary I can’t see how they hold up against all these weapons and I think they get exposed to the point that Kyle McCord is in the Heisman conversations after this game.  It appears Day (at least claims) he’s opening things up. 

If OSU loses this game we can count on another 2 or 3 loses this season.

Im seeing a 38-24 type game.

A friend of mine told me this  (just between you and me)  ......

Ohio St. (-3) over Notre Dame* by 4
First real test for both teams who have done what has been needed against lesser competition. Ohio State at least handled a game Western Ky offense last week. 
OHIO ST. 28-24

Penn St.(-14) * over Iowa by 17
New year, same Iowa with a barely acceptable offense and a very good defense. Penn St. is as talented on defense and they have a real offense. ... PENN ST. 35-18.

Too close ?   I like OSU by 7+  and  PSU by 24.    That's it.   🏈

Just when I thought ND's OL was wearing down Bucks D to start the 4th.. 

Day's end around call was Sunday Stef cute..

Did anyone hear McCord's presser?

Day called the TD run play. My wonder is, did McCord change the run call at the LOS to weak-side vs loaded up right side? 

Good Game of trench warfare. Both teams got NFL talent 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Bob806 said:

Wow Coach Day was fired up after.

Good old fashioned slugfest. I still don't know how good tOSU is but great W on the road.

What a Game and finish,  WOW !   

Day was really fired up.   

• Upvote 1

They were lucky to win. The offensive coaching and play calling is not good at all. The players bailed out Day for sure. 
I am glad they won, but if they continue to call plays this way, they are not making the Playoff

We are asking OSU to be “tough” and honestly they don’t recruit that type of kid anymore.   It is a 3 year stop before the NFL. 

Wisconsin, Penn State and Michigan.  OSU probably has their hands full this year. They played a lot of close ones during the 2002 title game but this team is built differently. 

Just now, SdBacker80 said:

We are asking OSU to be “tough” and honestly they don’t recruit that type of kid anymore.   It is a 3 year stop before the NFL. 

Wisconsin, Penn State and Michigan.  OSU probably has their hands full this year. They played a lot of close ones during the 2002 title game but this team is built differently. 

That 2002 team also had Jim Tressel. A much better coach

1 minute ago, Browns149 said:

That 2002 team also had Jim Tressel. A much better coach

The play calls were definitely suspect, But if Tressel were the coach I think we would be frustrated… You don’t play Tressel ball with MH jr. Egbuka and Henderson.  Although McCord channeled Krenzel last night.  I got whole Krenzel vibe last night.  

This defense especially LBs (Eich is overrated and Chambers was awful last night) and Safeties aren’t 2002 caliber so I wouldnt expect them to escape many more close calls.  

2 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

The play calls were definitely suspect, But if Tressel were the coach I think we would be frustrated… You don’t play Tressel ball with MH jr. Egbuka and Henderson.  Although McCord channeled Krenzel last night.  I got whole Krenzel vibe last night.  

This defense especially LBs (Eich is overrated and Chambers was awful last night) and Safeties aren’t 2002 caliber so I wouldnt expect them to escape many more close calls.  

The dline last night was very bad, until they needed plays at the end. Also rushing 4 and not getting pressure, and then playing zone behind it is a very bad combo. A team with better offensive players especially wr’s will eat this defense up

19 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Can't believe ND only had 10 players on the field that last play ....

Apparently OSU had 10 guys on the field during the first and goal play just prior to that.   And then 2nd down we ran an out pattern away from the advantage lol.   

If I were ND fan I would be more upset not taking points in the first half.  And Not dialing up more pressure when McCord is 10-12 on the third down plays.  And I think Love is a better overall back than Estime. 

The big takeaway in this game…they touted a 6 year Sr. QB but the advantage goes out the door when the other teams secondary is much better than your WR room. 

21 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Can't believe ND only had 10 players on the field that last play ....

Crazy

Yeah, that's really odd. Watching the game on TV, I bet nobody noticed it. Clearly, as one of the tweets in the thread implies, ND's staff screwed up really bad as the ref was giving the "substitution signal."