THE BROWNS BOARD

Standing at a Rock Show?

Ibleedbrown

I wanted to get some opinions on the topic of standing at rock shows. Is it cool or not cool? I realize sometimes there’s no choice, not all venues have a lot of seating, but at places that do, is it still cool to stand during the show?

I saw the Psychedelic Furs last night. My 4th time, l’m a fan. Richard Butler has one of the most iconic singing voices ever. 

It was at the Brown County Music Center in Nashville, IN, of all places, a fairly new facility with a thin pit area in front and then slowly inclining stadium style seats behind that, and a balcony behind that, so like 95% of the crowd had a seat.

The band started and almost no one stood up. I did, a few guy off to my side did, a few others, but the vast majority of the crowd didn’t.

I’ve always been under the belief that standing, clapping, cheering, and dancing were perfectly acceptable behaviors at a rock show. It’s part of the arsenal we as the rock fan community use to show our appreciation to the band. There are other ways too. Buying merch and sending groupies to put that cherry on top to make sure they remember the positive experience in your town. 

But it occurred to me that l probably ticked someone off behind me who just wanted to sit and leisurely watch the show. Once they finally got to the “Pretty in Pink” and “Love My Way” parts of the set, more people stood up, and l opted to sit with people standing in front of me. There really is a noticeable sonic difference when you have bodies between you and the speakers. Bass travels just fine, but the treble hits different. 

So l dunno. I guess l could see how someone standing in front of you would honk you off when they have a perfectly good seat they could use, but at the same time, it’s a rock show. Not standing is comparable to not cheering at a baseball game, or not golf clapping at a bowling tournament. 

On 9/23/2023 at 6:11 AM, Ibleedbrown said:

the Psychedelic Furs

on the old sony boards they did post from time to time,I was there for roger waters(which was alot of fun) the pearl jam board was bonkers,anyway one of the furs posted a poem about tripping at the dmv,funny as hell