THE BROWNS BOARD

Anyone missing Cade York? ( who ? lol ! )

Orion

So nice having a dependable kicker it's just  ...... PRICELESS  alright. 

And they are often the  lowest  paid  players on the entire team. Well even the snappers and holders among others. 

But when you need them, you need them to W/L  a game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

So nice having a dependable kicker it's just  ...... PRICELESS  alright. 

And they are often the  lowest  paid  players on the entire team. Well even the snappers and holders among others. 

But when you need them, you need them to W/L  a game.

good to see you here

4 minutes ago, syd said:

good to see you here

Oh yeah,  all of my tests scheduled for today were  -CANCELED-  now I can get back to  Cleveland BROWNS  football  for awhile.   :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

After the second TD, I went to the bathroom as they were lining up for the extra point. When I got back, I laughed with my dad that I felt it was first time in years I wasn't on baited breath watching it go through the uprights.

Hopkins is kicking an extremely clean ball right now, and the concern about 50+ is showing promise given he's made both from that range so far. You can just tell he has extreme confidence- haven't seen that in a while.

• Upvote 1

I don't.

I want to draft York when we did, and we did.

I still think he will be a good kicker in the league, but he wasn't ready for whatever reason, and he still might not.  Like any position, there are no sure things.  Kickers face more internal pressure than anything, and if that becomes a problem, sometimes those are hard to shake.

I played golf to a 2 handicap when I was in my  mid 20's through mid 40's, but there were a couple of holes on a couple of local courses that i took some high numbers, and never could get that out of my head and no matter what I did, I just couldn't play them to par.  Bogey was a win, and I usually doubled them...or worse.

Once that gets in to your head, it's hard to shake.

That said, Hopkins is exactly what we need.  The ball comes off true.  He's going to  miss some kicks but if he does I am to the point you just shrug and know its going to happen to the best of them.  The added bonus is he came in advertised as having a somewhat limited leg, but he has hit a few in the 53 or so yard range.  Sure, if a guy can hit a 62 yard FG, that's great, but you don't really expect that.  If your kicker hits it solid and  it comes up a yard short from 55, then he gave it the best chance he could.  That is all you can ask.  It's not like a kicker can turn his leg from a 4 iron to a 3 iron to get some added distance.  Just strike the ball true and you get what you get.

Coaches know the average true kick distance and the gray area distance his kicker might be able to make.

• 3 weeks later...

To answer the question by the OP: no. Hopkins is doing everything we could have asked from him. 

At the same time, I am glad young Cade agreed to a practice squad contract after being released. He clearly has a leg capable of 50+ yards. He just needs to learn how to get it up higher, and to manage his hook and slice. 

• Like 1

Just now, BernieSuperBowl2 said:

It's nice to have a professional at kicker who isn't a complete head case (York, Codey Parkey).

And Billy Cundiff!

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Korsou Dawg said:

He just needs to learn how to get it up higher, and to manage his hook and slice. 

He's gotta put that 6 iron away and use the 8.  :) 

• Upvote 1

On 9/27/2023 at 11:36 AM, ballpeen said:

I don't.

I want to draft York when we did, and we did.

I still think he will be a good kicker in the league, but he wasn't ready for whatever reason, and he still might not.  Like any position, there are no sure things.  Kickers face more internal pressure than anything, and if that becomes a problem, sometimes those are hard to shake.

I played golf to a 2 handicap when I was in my  mid 20's through mid 40's, but there were a couple of holes on a couple of local courses that i took some high numbers, and never could get that out of my head and no matter what I did, I just couldn't play them to par.  Bogey was a win, and I usually doubled them...or worse.

Once that gets in to your head, it's hard to shake.

On paper, it was a good idea to draft York- Groza award winner in college. Could kick the ball out of the stadium. But historically, strange things can happen to great college kickers who get drafted high when the money and pressure of the NFL is involved. Cade is buried on the Titans Practice Squad, so we'll see if he can cure his accuracy woes.  

Russ, I did have to look it up on Pro Football reference and his career was far longer that I thought it was...  Martin "not so" automatica Grammatica. 75% FG% doesn't cut it. Doing some research, there's some very good (even HOF) place kickers that were drafted in the 4th round or higher- and some notable big time busts   LOL, the 49ers Mr. Wide Right Jake Moody was drafted #99 overall.  :) 

Trying to post the table won't work, so for those who have an interest, here's the history of every kicker drafted in the 4th round or higher.  😉

https://www.fanduel.com/research/theduel/highest-drafted-kickers-in-nfl-history-have-any-been-drafted-in-the-first-round-01gyfgykem2p/

For every Sebastian Janikowski, you have a Jeffy DePoyster  

On 9/24/2023 at 4:42 PM, Orion said:

Props to Dustin Hopkins!!   

~       Oh yeah, we miss him .....  BBWWWAAAHHHH.    

( His one and maybe only glory shot ? )

image.png.384c093e2a15c598099c41025b6346ea.png

On 10/19/2023 at 6:38 PM, hoorta said:

On paper, it was a good idea to draft York- Groza award winner in college. Could kick the ball out of the stadium. But historically, strange things can happen to great college kickers who get drafted high when the money and pressure of the NFL is involved. Cade is buried on the Titans Practice Squad, so we'll see if he can cure his accuracy woes.  

Russ, I did have to look it up on Pro Football reference and his career was far longer that I thought it was...  Martin "not so" automatica Grammatica. 75% FG% doesn't cut it. Doing some research, there's some very good (even HOF) place kickers that were drafted in the 4th round or higher- and some notable big time busts   LOL, the 49ers Mr. Wide Right Jake Moody was drafted #99 overall.  :) 

Trying to post the table won't work, so for those who have an interest, here's the history of every kicker drafted in the 4th round or higher.  😉

https://www.fanduel.com/research/theduel/highest-drafted-kickers-in-nfl-history-have-any-been-drafted-in-the-first-round-01gyfgykem2p/

For every Sebastian Janikowski, you have a Jeffy DePoyster  

When you look at it, the make it or break it number is probably pretty close to what it is for any position.  The problem kickers face is that there is no back-up position for a kicker.  You can't be kind of, sort of good.  You need to be good.

16 hours ago, ballpeen said:

The problem kickers face is that there is no back-up position for a kicker.  You can't be kind of, sort of good.  You need to be good.

Yup.  This is the big leagues.

Not all that many years ago we had a punter that could kick FG's.  So he was the backup kicker.  You'd think there would be more punters that could kick FG's.  

4 minutes ago, The Cysko Kid said:

Pssht. We drafted Cade york and before him we drafted some doofus named Zane and neither one of those guys could kick for shit. 

Zane Gonzales is doing pretty good in Az

Dustin Hopkins appreciation post:

- 4-for-4 on FGs with 3 coming from 50+
- NFL record 5th straight game with a FG from 50+
- Career-long 58-yarder
- 7-for-7 from 50+ this season

IMG_0331.jpeg

• Thanks 2

●  WOW,  some absolutely amazing kicking numbers.  The biggest ONE the BROWNS won by  ONE point. 

SO,  what is a kicker worth ?  Maybe make miss the playoffs by  ONE game ?     It's almost scary.  And often kickers are among the lowest paid players on the team.

NFL Highest  BAL - Tucker  $6 Million.   (who won today)

15. (tie)  CLE -  Hopkins   $3 Million.  ( tied with CHI - Santos  $3M )

31. Lowest   DET   Patterson   $823,333.      (who lost todayĺ

● SO,  there's your range .....  $6M   mid  $3M   last   $823,333.  Compare that with any other position on your team  -or-  any team.  You might win -or- lose by ONE  kick.  :o

Edited by mjp28
The lowly KICKER $6M to $823,333

Two things on Hopkins.

First:  The knock on him was he had limited distance.  Who the heck said that?.  They were wrong unless they expect a kicker to nail 65-70 yard kicks.  That 58 yard kick he made would have been good from 62-63 yards.  No distance my ass.

Second:  My only question about DH is why was he even available??  He can kick for any team in the league.