THE BROWNS BOARD

Watson against the Titans

TypicalBrowns50

Watson looked real good.

The big reason was he played out of the gun a high percentage of the time.  That is his comfort level.

This may not be popular around here, but Watson will probably play better without Chubb as the back.  Chubb and Watson don't play compatible football.  Chubb likes his QB under center and Watson likes the gun. 

2 hours ago, ballpeen said:

Watson looked real good.

The big reason was he played out of the gun a high percentage of the time.  That is his comfort level.

I'd be curious to know if yesterday was  more of the lightbulb going off for Watson or if Stefanski is doing a better job of matching what Watson does well with the plays/schemes continuing to evolve. Probably both.

3 hours ago, ballpeen said:

Watson looked real good.

This may not be popular around here, but Watson will probably play better without Chubb as the back.  Chubb and Watson don't play compatible football.  Chubb likes his QB under center and Watson likes the gun. 

Chubb is not a run from the gun kinda back.  He does better then the Qb is under center.  

For me, Watson had a different look on his face throughout the game yesterday. To crudely sum it up, to me he looked like he cared, whereas before he looked disinterested.   

What prompted his change, both on the field and my perceived opinion on his demeanor is beyond my pay grade, but the dude looked like what we all hoped he would be and I'm hoping that confidence breeds confidence and he just gets better and better.

We'll know a whole lot more Sunday evening...  

• Thanks 1

On a different note...I was glad to see the rookie get in there under center for a few snaps.  It makes Dorian feel part of the team and kind of takes some of the newness away from being in an NFL game.  Even though all he did was hand off.

6 minutes ago, Orion said:

On a different note...I was glad to see the rookie get in there under center for a few snaps.  It makes Dorian feel part of the team and kind of takes some of the newness away from being in an NFL game.  Even though all he did was hand off.

i  wanted to see a flea flicker

• Haha 1

On 9/25/2023 at 7:38 PM, Kvoethe said:

Chubb is not a run from the gun kinda back.  He does better then the Qb is under center.  

I know.  I have said that.  Watson will be a better QB without Chubb than if Chubb is in the game.  I love Nick Chubb the player.  He is everything you want.  I have heard 100 cases in the Cedartown courthouse annex.it was part of my territory for 10 years .It's part of my life..but, it is what it is, Nick and Watson don't play compatible football.

• Upvote 1

On 9/25/2023 at 7:09 PM, Dutch Oven said:

I'd be curious to know if yesterday was  more of the lightbulb going off for Watson or if Stefanski is doing a better job of matching what Watson does well with the plays/schemes continuing to evolve. Probably both.

Maybe both.  I think some is due to Stefanski not trying to match Cubb';s game to Watson';s game, or the opposite.  Watson doesn't like to work under center and Chubb likes the QB under center.

No right or wrong with either, but is is what it is.

52 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I will have to pay attention to how they mesh the next 3-4 games.

we should find out a lot about this team

Ravens. Bye. 49'ers. at Colts

Browns Ravens Colts.. you'll find all 3 teams in the top 6-7 in OL grades. Ronnie Stanley (knee) nor Linderbaum (ankle) played in the Colts loss. (can we be so lucky?)  

Browns have been ok in pass-pro.. It's the Run blocking grades that need to improve as quick as this week

Defensive slobber knockers on deck 

20 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

we should find out a lot about this team

Ravens. Bye. 49'ers. at Colts

Browns Ravens Colts.. you'll find all 3 teams in the top 6-7 in OL grades. Ronnie Stanley (knee) nor Linderbaum (ankle) played in the Colts loss. (can we be so lucky?)  

Browns have been ok in pass-pro.. It's the Run blocking grades that need to improve as quick as this week

Defensive slobber knockers on deck 

Going to the Browns/49ers game, found out Saturday. My honest initial thought: "Oh man, could be an ugly game to go to..."

Today? "Bring 'em on..." 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, ballpeen said:

Maybe both.  I think some is due to Stefanski not trying to match Cubb';s game to Watson';s game, or the opposite.  Watson doesn't like to work under center and Chubb likes the QB under center.

No right or wrong with either, but is is what it is.

I guess the longterm silver lining is if this is true, and Chubb and Watson aren't compatible (pretty sure Chubb played in a Pro-Style Traditional offense at Georgia) that finding a RB in the draft that is used to playing in a shotgun, read/option offense won't be hard. 

18 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Going to the Browns/49ers game, found out Saturday..

Today? "Bring 'em on..."   👍

That's Awesome ! 

I've been checking on the closest roadie left on the schedule in my area is at Baltimore Week 10..mid Nov.

Travel & room stays aren't the bad cost wise.. but secure ticket prices in Baltimore are insane looking at Week 10.. I'm holding at this time, but not folding on trip

PM me or post your seat prices if you don't mind? Thanks & have a great time getting us a win !

Watson still needs to find ways of getting Njoku the ball. This year Njoku is running more routes yet has considerably fewer targets. 

58 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I guess the longterm silver lining is if this is true, and Chubb and Watson aren't compatible (pretty sure Chubb played in a Pro-Style Traditional offense at Georgia) that finding a RB in the draft that is used to playing in a shotgun, read/option offense won't be hard. 

Georgia was a pro style offense.

Let me be clear.  It's not so much that Nick can't play that way.  It just seems he preferred not.  I think the biggest discomfort level is Watson playing under center.  I think he likes to start processing the reads as soon as he touches the ball and not lose the time it takes for him to turn and get in to his set.

• Upvote 1

I will add that Stefanski might be out of his comfort zone to some degree as well.  I think he likes the QB under center a good deal of the time.  Obviously you have to do that some.  You can't just go under center if you want to sneak the ball or run the ball.  There has to be some degree of variable to what you want to do offensively.

4 minutes ago, ballpeen said:

I will add that Stefanski might be out of his comfort zone to some degree as well.  I think he likes the QB under center a good deal of the time.  Obviously you have to do that some.  You can't just go under center if you want to sneak the ball or run the ball.  There has to be some degree of variable to what you want to do offensively.

I would be curious to see what a guy like Achane in Miami could do in the backfield, I'll admit. More specifically, thinking about some of the stuff they are having Elijah Moore do but with more of a RB skillset.

The issue for next year, depending how this one goes, is that the Browns have arguably been the best "traditional" running team in football outside maybe the Titans. Much of this team's identity has been around running the ball that way. I was curious, and since 2019 the Browns have finished no worse than 7th in total rushing yards, with the teams ahead of the Browns being those with mobile QB's (Ravens, Bears last year etc.). If the teams finds a lot of success in moving away from that identity, the conversation of how Chubb fits, as great as he is, definitely comes into play.

20 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

..... the conversation of how Chubb fits, as great as he is, definitely comes into play.

Jeez, please no. Even with a goofball like DePodesta giving input, I just can't see them parting ways with good ole 24.

In an age of extreme overboard analysis, Chubb not only brings the stats, but the immeasurable "heart factor."

The locker room was a bit shaken after that Pitt game when asked about losing Chubb. I think they will allow Chubb to determine his role on his terms, he's definitely earned it.

1 hour ago, ballpeen said:

Let me be clear.  It's not so much that Nick can't play that way.  It just seems he preferred not.  I think the biggest discomfort level is Watson playing under center.  I think he likes to start processing the reads as soon as he touches the ball and not lose the time it takes for him to turn and get in to his set.

not that i disagree with a well thought out post.. but,

I'd put my money on Chubb won't care where Watson lines up. The Chubby train engine motor only needs a 2 step start   

🚂  it really sucks we barely got a real chance to see what it may have looked like 😑

42 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

not that i disagree with a well thought out post.. but,

I'd put my money on Chubb won't care where Watson lines up. The Chubby train engine motor only needs a 2 step start   

🚂  it really sucks we barely got a real chance to see what it may have looked like 😑

I thought I kind of, sort of said that.  No matter who you are, you have a preference when given 2 options.

I think nick does better when he is moving a few steps towards the line when taking the hand off and he is closer to the line when getting the ball.  Either way, i think we are picking at nits here.  It's more about what Watson likes.  We need to do that

1 hour ago, Bob806 said:

Jeez, please no. Even with a goofball like DePodesta giving input, I just can't see them parting ways with good ole 24.

In an age of extreme overboard analysis, Chubb not only brings the stats, but the immeasurable "heart factor."

The locker room was a bit shaken after that Pitt game when asked about losing Chubb. I think they will allow Chubb to determine his role on his terms, he's definitely earned it.

You aren't going to find many people who love Nick like I do, trust me. The way he plays the game is something I could watch every Sunday till the good Lord calls me up.

With that being said, he will be 28 and closer to the side of 29 (we share the same birthday actually) for the season next year and will also be on the last year of his deal. Additionally, as we know he will be coming off a second major knee injury. Going into next season, the Browns could save over $11 million dollars if they choose another route. The reality is, Watson is going to be (hypothetically) on this team for the next 8-10 years. If the offense system adjusts to Chubb not being here and plays the level we saw Sunday, it's a tougher conversation than simply "bring that man back". Again, trust me- I wish Chubb could be on this team and run the ball 300 times for another 20 years. But sometimes tough decisions come out of the woodwork, especially on good teams.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

You aren't going to find many people who love Nick like I do, trust me. The way he plays the game is something I could watch every Sunday till the good Lord calls me up.

With that being said, he will be 28 and closer to the side of 29 (we share the same birthday actually) for the season next year and will also be on the last year of his deal. Additionally, as we know he will be coming off a second major knee injury. Going into next season, the Browns could save over $11 million dollars if they choose another route. The reality is, Watson is going to be (hypothetically) on this team for the next 8-10 years. If the offense system adjusts to Chubb not being here and plays the level we saw Sunday, it's a tougher conversation than simply "bring that man back". Again, trust me- I wish Chubb could be on this team and run the ball 300 times for another 20 years. But sometimes tough decisions come out of the woodwork, especially on good teams.

Nick Chubb and I share the same initials so I don't think you love him more than I do :P

2 hours ago, Bob806 said:

Chubb is a great player, but Depo isn't a goofball.

Come on man, you are a smart guy.

3 hours ago, ballpeen said:

Chubb is a great player, but Depo isn't a goofball.

Come on man, you are a smart guy.

Lol, I think I'm semi-smart.

Seriously though, we ultimately don't know Depo's total role, I'm just not sold on some of his quotes (13 yard passes >4 yard runs, for example). 

I realize times change and analytics is probably here to stay. Rumor has it, he gives input on game planning. I'd rather have the coaches form those plans. 

Here's me digging up a horrible past, but last year vs the Saints, I just cannot fathom a football coach throwing 31 passes in those conditions, yet the Browns did, and they were still alive for a playoff berth. Call me crazy, but I think Depo had something to do with that.

If his role is actually analyzing rosters & salary caps, then that's fine. It takes a good crew to maneuver all that stuff.