THE BROWNS BOARD

Watson against the Titans

TypicalBrowns50

He looked really good. Still room to improve, but he actually had timing this week on his throws. He is a rollercoaster when he scrambles, but he is absolutely an upgrade over Baker. Watson is a boom or bust kinda player, but he was on today and looked absolutely phenomenal. Watson will only get better. He was throwing darts today.

• Upvote 1

The Titans have a good front 7.  What the offense was able to do today, without the benefit of a running game was herculean. 

Watson did a great job of avoiding sacks (except for that head-scratching backwards pass) and making positive yards.  Good for him!

Umm...does anyone think that it's half-crazy to have Bryant taking handoffs for sneaks?  I mean, I'm always afraid of him coughing up the football whenever he gets it. 

• Upvote 1

Just saying ppl are still bringing baker up even 3 years removed just because he had a hot start in Tampa. Fans and everyone else are talking about it.

this game was a nice reminder, that when Watson is playing on his game. He does stuff baker couldn’t. Which is why they paid the money. Watson was doing Houdini stuff today. It was nice to see

19 minutes ago, TypicalBrowns50 said:

Just saying ppl are still bringing baker up even 3 years removed just because he had a hot start in Tampa. Fans and everyone else are talking about it.

this game was a nice reminder, that when Watson is playing on his game. He does stuff baker couldn’t. Which is why they paid the money. Watson was doing Houdini stuff today. It was nice to see

I like baker for his enthusiasm and team leadership...he played hurt and gave it his all.  The browns did him dirty so I wish him luck.

Im not saying he is more talented or better than DW.

3 minutes ago, TypicalBrowns50 said:

Watson looked awesome today. That’s all I’m saying. Without the terrible Amari Cooper call, he has 3 tds and 400 yds

All the recap shows...not a single mention of it.  Nfl puttin up the cone of silence lol.

• Upvote 1

This is the best game we've seen from Deshaun with the Browns. He made good reads, dropped dimes, and was able to scramble when needed. He looked poised and not rattled like against the Steelers. 

Another reason why Watson was better today was Stefanski finally had a good game for play calling. Unlike last week, he called more shorter/intermediate throws. Then when the defense had to account for those, he took his deep shots to Cooper who was unguardable today. He mixed it up well. 

3 minutes ago, BernieSuperBowl2 said:

Cooper who was unguardable today

One time the DB had to tackle him before the ball got there....otherwise he wasn't gonna be able to tackle him at all.

People talk about us parting ways with Cooper next year.  Somehow, that can't be allowed to happen.  He's exceptional.  He's clutch.  HE'S NEEDED.   

• Upvote 1

Just now, Orion said:

One time the DB had to tackle him before the ball got there....otherwise he wasn't gonna be able to tackle him at all.

People talk about us parting ways with Cooper next year.  Somehow, that can't be allowed to happen.  He's exceptional.  He's clutch.  HE'S NEEDED.   

Yep. There were at least 3-4 defensive pass interference or defensive holding calls on Cooper today - if you count those and the blind referee call, he accounted for well over 200 yards. 

2 minutes ago, BernieSuperBowl2 said:

Yep. There were at least 3-4 defensive pass interference or defensive holding calls on Cooper today - if you count those and the blind referee call, he accounted for well over 200 yards. 

I've used up all of my reactions for today...so you get an honorary upvote!  :)  As you say, he was unguardable!  As a matter of fact, on one play both defenders said, 'Fuck you, I ain't guarding him'....so he scored a TD.  :)

39 minutes ago, BernieSuperBowl2 said:

I understand sometimes the refs have a bang-bang play, or a fumble/yardage play where there's 11 guys in a pile. But the ref was standing four feet away with an unobstructed view. 

Here's my guess on what happened...

The ref was almost TOO close to Cooper, and was watching him catch the ball (and make sure he had full control) and with his peripheral view thought he saw him step out.

That's all I can figure. No one intently studying his feet would ever think he stepped out.

I can also tell you, refereeing/umpiring is not as easy as slow-motion replays and strike zone graphs on your TV make it to be. I remember umpiring Little League baseball, and when calling strikes and balls I felt like I was almost guessing at low pitches. In and out and up I felt very confident about, but the pitch around the knees? Not so much. 

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Here's my guess on what happened...

The ref was almost TOO close to Cooper, and was watching him catch the ball (and make sure he had full control) and with his peripheral view thought he saw him step out.

That's all I can figure. No one intently studying his feet would ever think he stepped out.

I can also tell you, refereeing/umpiring is not as easy as slow-motion replays and strike zone graphs on your TV make it to be. I remember umpiring Little League baseball, and when calling strikes and balls I felt like I was almost guessing at low pitches. In and out and up I felt very confident about, but the pitch around the knees? Not so much. 

I'm not with you on this one Dutch.

The refs are trained to let the play go if they don't see something happen because you can then review it later and overturn it. In this case, if the ref didn't definitively see Cooper step out of bounds, then the play continues and it can be reviewed later. By calling Cooper out of bounds and blowing the play dead, it meant we were 100% screwed out of a TD. Terrible on the ref either way and there is no excuse for it.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, BernieSuperBowl2 said:

I'm not with you on this one Dutch.

The refs are trained to let the play go if they don't see something happen because you can then review it later and overturn it. In this case, if the ref didn't definitively see Cooper step out of bounds, then the play continues and it can be reviewed later. By calling Cooper out of bounds and blowing the play dead, it meant we couldn't even challenge it and were 100% screwed out of a TD. Terrible on the ref either way and there is no excuse for it.

Oh trust me, I'm not defending the call, just trying to wrap my head around how it happened... 

What I laid out is the only thing I can come up with on how such a bad ball occurred. They also train refs not to see things that didn't happen, but apparently he missed that training day... 🙂

Just now, Dutch Oven said:

Oh trust me, I'm not defending the call, just trying to wrap my head around how it happened... 

What I laid out is the only thing I can come up with on how such a bad ball occurred. They also train refs not to see things that didn't happen, but apparently he missed that training day... 🙂

I hear you on that. I'm just glad it didn't effect the outcome of the game.....because the Browns were so dominant! Don't get to say that often. 

5 minutes ago, BernieSuperBowl2 said:

I hear you on that. I'm just glad it didn't effect the outcome of the game.....because the Browns were so dominant! Don't get to say that often. 

Yes! 

Its almost amazing that could happen, the Browns get screwed out of four points conceivably and yet it didn't affect the game at all. 

3 hours ago, Kvoethe said:

Still not worth 230, but he made some nice throws with a glimmer of what we were told.  He keeps this up the season...i will praise him.

The only guy worth that is Mahomes

All the others with these HUGE Qb deals are not

IMO, you got to win SB’S to be worth that cash

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Neo said:

Kev pulled some stuff out of his bag of tricks today.

Apparently they noticed in film that the Titans react and swarm to the direction of the ball, so he had the ball change directions back and forth to try and get the ball away from the swarm.  This type of trickery will hopefully make the players 'stay home' so that there won't be such a swarm and your blockers around the ball (ball carrier) won't have to block the whole friggin' defense and be overwhelmed.  

3 hours ago, Kvoethe said:

I like baker for his enthusiasm and team leadership...he played hurt and gave it his all.  The browns did him dirty so I wish him luck.

I'm not saying he is more talented or better than DW.

Yeah, Baker played hurt- and cost the Browns a bunch of games by doing so. Seriously, you don't think every NFL QB from Brandon We-done to Spurgon Wynn doesn't "give it their all"? Get real. 

There's no "dirty" in the NFL. It's a business. Are you the same sort of guy who cried when Bill Belichick sent Bernie packing for "diminished skills"? Bernie took the Browns to a couple AFC Championships, Baker managed to beat the Steelers in a playoff game thanks to about 10 Pittsburgh turnovers.  :D   

29 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Yeah, Baker played hurt- and cost the Browns a bunch of games by doing so. Seriously, you don't think every NFL QB from Brandon We-done to Spurgon Wynn doesn't "give it their all"? Get real. 

There's no "dirty" in the NFL. It's a business. Are you the same sort of guy who cried when Bill Belichick sent Bernie packing for "diminished skills"? Bernie took the Browns to a couple AFC Championships, Baker managed to beat the Steelers in a playoff game thanks to about 10 Pittsburgh turnovers.  :D   

Not to mention it was self inflicted. Trying to make a tackle on a player with a full head of steam. And he delayed his recovery by playing. Baker just ran out of road with the Browns, I don't know why people can't get over that. I was 100% behind Baker when he was here, now I'm 100% behind Watson. I knew Watson would have a breakout game. The dude must be under an infathomable amount of pressure. This will surely help him in the future.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, hoorta said:

Kev did him no favor and kept playing him.. He shares in the blame too...

2 hours ago, nickers said:

I think all that came down from Haslam, just like the Manziel thing over Hoyer. Something like "this kid has to earn an extension/money." ....just a hunch.

Go Browns

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, nickers said:

Yeah, I'm certain you've heard the conspiracy theories that the Browns already knew Baker was never going to be "the guy" with the skill set to win Cleveland a Super Bowl, and kept trotting him out there making his failure a self fulfilling prophesy. However, that doesn't explain a healthy Mayfield's subsequent lousy performances with the Panthers and Rams. Did they "do him dirty" too?  :) 

Well, we get to see if Baker's first two games with the Yuckaneers were for real, or just a mirage. (Tia seems to think that they are) He gets his chance tonight when they play a legit Super Bowl quality contender on national TV. I've got the game set up to record. 

PS- Have to wonder if the Rams are second guessing themselves making the big trade for  Matthew Stafford. Jared Goff seems to have found his missing game with the Lions. If Baker can find his 2020 form, good for him. But I don't obsess over it. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Yeah, I'm certain you've heard the conspiracy theories that the Browns already knew Baker was never going to be "the guy" with the skill set to win Cleveland a Super Bowl, and kept trotting him out there making his failure a self fulfilling prophesy. However, that doesn't explain a healthy Mayfield's subsequent lousy performances with the Panthers and Rams. Did they "do him dirty" too?  :) 

Well, we get to see if Baker's first two games with the Yuckaneers were for real, or just a mirage. (Tia seems to think that they are) He gets his chance tonight when they play a legit Super Bowl quality contender on national TV. I've got the game set up to record. 

PS- Have to wonder if the Rams are second guessing themselves making the big trade for  Matthew Stafford. Jared Goff seems to have found his missing game with the Lions. If Baker can find his 2020 form, good for him. But I don't obsess over it. 

Not obsessing.. Just saying.. There's plenty of blame going around and every bit deserved on all fronts... Remember those same Yuckaneers have something the browns don't have... 2 SB rings

• Upvote 1