THE BROWNS BOARD

Eagles Brotherly Shove

SdBacker80

So does anyone have an opinion about it…for it or against it (and want a rule change)? 

It is about 90% effective which is astounding considering the recent short yard struggles most teams have.

I am watching it on a couple of occasions and it is a simple numbers game- the eagles get low with the interior lineman (always winning this battle) and then they have more numbers pushing the pile forward.  The defense is normally spread out with less guys trying to hold the point of attack.  You have to adjust the defensive alignment bringing more guys off the edge and into the interior…the counter for the offense is audible out to a play on the perimeter. 

• SdBacker80 changed the title to Eagles Brotherly Shove

If I may add to this, 'what's the manly thing to do on 4th and short' discussion: Why not recruit a Ronnie Coleman type bodybuilder as Full Back, who weighs nearly 400 pounds and can squat an additional 800, and have him do a FB dive? By the numbers, that's enough to move the D-line all by himself! Just have the O-line lock arms to create a bar of sorts, and let him drive through the hips :P 

On 10/24/2023 at 6:31 PM, SdBacker80 said:

So does anyone have an opinion about it…for it or against it (and want a rule change)? 

It is about 90% effective which is astounding considering the recent short yard struggles most teams have.

I am watching it on a couple of occasions and it is a simple numbers game- the eagles get low with the interior lineman (always winning this battle) and then they have more numbers pushing the pile forward.  The defense is normally spread out with less guys trying to hold the point of attack.  You have to adjust the defensive alignment bringing more guys off the edge and into the interior…the counter for the offense is audible out to a play on the perimeter. 

FWIW, shoving is now legal because it was just too damn hard to tell if the ball carrier was getting some teammate help.  Goo look at that mess where Hunt scored the winning TD for Exhibit A.  

On 10/24/2023 at 6:31 PM, SdBacker80 said:

The thing I think they should stop is allowing other player(s) behind the QB/Ball carrier from pushing and helping the runner.  I could be wrong here - but I think they used to have a penalty for that called "helping the runner."  That was only aimed at teammates grabbing or pushing the ball carrier to gain more yards when forward progress would have otherwise been terminated.  I think allowing this crap ruins the game we grew up fond of.  JMO...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Flugel said:

I could be wrong here - but I think they used to have a penalty for that called "helping the runner."

I know that you can't do it on defense on FG's.  But they've been allowing some pushing for some years now.  The Eagles are not trying to hide it anymore.

• Like 1