THE BROWNS BOARD

Raiders fire head coach Josh McDaniels, general manager David Ziegler

D Bone

Every day the legend of Tom Brady grows.

Every Patriot loss after he's gone, every Patriots coordinator that fails as a head coach. 

I think the era of the "hot Belichick assistant" as a potential head coach hire is finally over. 

• Like 3

Inexplicable why he was hired after abandoning the Colts offer a few years ago. Demands full control of the roster but has no idea how to handle it, let a top tier QB Derek Carr leave without getting any compensation for him then hires castoff Garropolo to replace him.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, nickers said:

Josh Mc"Donalds" just isn't HC material... He's a career OC... He has zero discipline...

One of the many guys great at the coordinator level, and sucked as a head coach. Dick LeBeau will go down as maybe the greatest defensive coordinator of all time, but blew dead worms as a head coach.  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Every Patriot loss after he's gone, every Patriots coordinator that fails as a head coach. 

I think the era of the "hot Belichick assistant" as a potential head coach hire is finally over. 

With 20\20 hindsight, it's getting fair to ask the question was Bill's coaching success in New England him, or was it because he had the GOAT quarterback?  

The Patriots are currently mired at the bottom of the AFC standings.  Which is fine by me... They've won enough Super Bowls to last them the next 50 years. Sort of the same reason I hope UCLA doesn't win another NCAA Basketball championship in my lifetime... I'm old enough to remember the John Wooden era when they won just about every stinking year.  

2 hours ago, bbedward said:

So grateful the browns never did more than interview him.

Teams are always so desperate to get a piece of Belichick

...and Tom Brady I guess, though the raiders are still stuck with Jimmy G

His way overthrown to a wide open nobody within 20 yds of Davante pass spoke volumes as to his lack of QB skill. Inexcusable.

9 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Brady wasn't a once in a generation player, he was a once in a lifetime player. They were stupid for ever letting him walk out the door. And yes it has been proven many times that he is indeed the greatest QB to ever play the game. And if anyone ever tells me about deflate-gate I will tell them to go pound salt. At this moment in time, Patrick Mahommes can't even dream of holding Brady's jock strap. In a few years........maybe.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Have any of his assistants down well after leaving?

11 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I heard Josh used to be a good QB somewhere in Ohio way back when he could see his toes from a standing position.  If he could drop a couple chins (you thought I was gonna say pounds didn't ya) in the next few weeks and mix in a little lipo - some of us would like to see the rebirth of an accurate forward pass downfield.  If not, Vinny Testaverde is only 59 years old.   He doesn't have that many grandchildren yet.  Nobody dismounts the couch from retirement like "Somebody's Cousin Vinny" to get back on the gridiron throwing spirals.  Okay, so they don't always go where we want them to; but how can it not be a more trusted accuracy than we're counting on today?

As for Belichick, the 2 Assistant Coaches that did a GREAT job after they coached in Cleveland are Nick Saban and Kirk Ferentz.   Ferentz has had some pretty damn good teams in spite the recruiting attraction of cornfields.  The number of great OL, TEs, LBs and DBs he's sent to the next level has been impressive.  Saban might win as many National Championships as the Pa-try-its have won Super Bowls with the Brady-Belichick tag team.  I couldn't tell you what happened to the Assistants he had in NE that had disappointing coaching careers after they left.  I'm still fascinated Belichick had the only NFL mind that wanted to draft Tom Brady before round 7.  The fact that he didn't start as a rookie prior to developing into the GOAT does reflect well on that organization though.  I think some guys are just better Assistants or Coordinators than they are Head Coaches - like the NE thing we're talking about. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Flugel said:

I heard Josh used to be a good QB somewhere in Ohio way back when he could see his toes from a standing position. 

Canton McKinley, of the McKinley vs Massillon rivalry, one of the best in HS football.

His dad was a very good high school coach.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Neo said:

Brady wasn't a once in a generation player, he was a once in a lifetime player. They were stupid for ever letting him walk out the door. And yes it has been proven many times that he is indeed the greatest QB to ever play the game. And if anyone ever tells me about deflate-gate I will tell them to go pound salt. At this moment in time, Patrick Mahommes can't even dream of holding Brady's jock strap. In a few years........maybe.

What?? At this moment in time he certainly can dream about it.

You may even have dreamt about being a Tom Brady when you were a kid a couple of years ago.

Yeah I didn't understand the Raiders not rehiring Rich Biasacca after they canned Gruden. The players loved him, they made the playoffs.

Sadly, Mark Davis is kind of like Haslam. They both want to win, but don't know how & make impulsive "splash" moves that doom the team....like hiring a tool like McDaniels or breaking the bank on a QB/drafting a worthless QB like Manziel. 

1 hour ago, FY56 said:

What?? At this moment in time he certainly can dream about it.

You may even have dreamt about being a Tom Brady when you were a kid a couple of years ago.

The best thing Brady could have ever done was leave NE. All it did was cement his legacy. McDaniels is a failure in multiple places, Belichick and the Patriots are failing, and he won a Super Bowl in his first year with his new team. His legacy speaks for itself. I'm not going to put Mahomes in the same category until he wins at least two more Super Bowls.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

~       Oh yes,  and one day the same man ....  or perhaps granddad ..... will say to his young ones  (or maybe some drunk at a bar)   YES, I ACTUALLY SAW   that man they called Brady, Tom  for real ....  and he was  [pause]          "magnificent" .      Better than any man who threw an inflated  pigskin .......  or maybe not so inflated one.   WHATEVER KID,  just follow the story.

Whatever he was  ah, oh yeah   "magnificent"    yadda, yadda    and then in a place called  CANTON of OHIO     and they crowned him the best GOAT  ever.

And here's a picture of me and him that I paid  $59.99  for,   hey they wanted  $199.95  for the autographed ones  in that place called    CANTON  of  OHIO.

"Happy Birthday,  kid".

10 hours ago, Neo said:

The best thing Brady could have ever done was leave NE. All it did was cement his legacy. McDaniels is a failure in multiple places, Belichick and the Patriots are failing, and he won a Super Bowl in his first year with his new team. His legacy speaks for itself. I'm not going to put Mahomes in the same category until he wins at least two more Super Bowls.

I like your take Neo.  I have a slightly different angle on it though - doesn't mean I'm right and you're wrong.  JMO, Brady leaving NE was mutual at the time.  I don't think it was a bad reflection of the organization. At the time, their salary cap was almost maxed out so they couldn't retain Gronk and a few others either.   That stuff eventually catches a lot of teams that frequent post seasons, which NE did since Brady's 2nd season there.  Joe Montana left SF, Brett Favre left GB, Aaron Rodgers left GB.  The biggest difference with NE - is they didn't have a recent 1st round QB waiting in the wings to replace the guy on his way to the HOF some day.  

Tampa already had the top 2 WRs in the NFC (Evans and Godwin) and they also had the $ to add Gronk.  Did NE ever give him a better trio?  I sincerely doubt it.  Even Jameis Winston threw for well over 5000 yards with those 2 WRs and had 33 TD passes (his problem was 30 INTs with many that were pick 6's).  They also added Leonard Fournette and 1 or 2 OL.  They already had a good defense and added draftees to make it great.  This was like LeBron James going to his favorite new team set-up for him to win it all. That was an F--- You Cleveland; then he came back and won one only staying long enough to chase his next Title elsewhere AGAIN.  I live in the Tampa area so I was here when it all went down with Brady  Personally, I didn't like that set-up any better than I like the NBA doing it.  I can't even watch the NBA any more.

What I liked about your post was the loyal respect you gave Brady that he deserves from fans of the game.  Sometimes I wonder if Cleveland drafted him by accident if they would have even known or seen what he was capable of.  As we've seen, they never put all the right ingredients in tact to properly develop a young QB in the amount of time needed. Then a snake bit fan base can only watch so much before the next young QB becomes public enemy #1 headed to the list of names on the T-shirt of shame.  I'm almost certain the Browns would have quit on a Josh Allen during his brief bouts of growing pains.  All that starts with an owner without a clue in the same old "Welcome to Cleveland... for a couple minutes...

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Flugel said:

Joe Montana left SF, Brett Favre left GB, Aaron Rodgers left GB.  The biggest difference with NE - is they didn't have a recent 1st round QB waiting in the wings to replace the guy on his way to the HOF some day.  

Tampa already had the top 2 WRs in the NFC (Evans and Godwin) and they also had the $ to add Gronk.  Did NE ever give him a better trio?  I sincerely doubt it.  Even Jameis Winston threw for well over 5000 yards with those 2 WRs and had 33 TD passes (his problem was 30 INTs with many that were pick 6's).  They also added Leonard Fournette and 1 or 2 OL.  They already had a good defense and added draftees to make it great.  This was like LeBron James going to his favorite new team set-up for him to win it all.

Joe Montana was my childhood hero even though I am Browns fan. I always had favorite players in every sport I followed but I started following Brady for the same reasons I followed Montana, he's just great. Although the Super Bowl wasn't close and Mahomes was running for his life all night, Brady's stat line was 21/29 201 yards and 3 TD's. I agree with what you said about the Bucs being set up and I would add that he still came and did Brady things when it mattered the most. Just like LeBron when he had that unforgettable block against Iguodala. LeBron was a man of his word and delivered a ring, I have no animosity towards him.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Neo said:

Joe Montana was my childhood hero even though I am Browns fan. I always had favorite players in every sport I followed but I started following Brady for the same reasons I followed Montana, he's just great. Although the Super Bowl wasn't close and Mahomes was running for his life all night, Brady's stat line was 21/29 201 yards and 3 TD's. I agree with what you said about the Bucs being set up and I would add that he still came and did Brady things when it mattered the most. Just like LeBron when he had that unforgettable block against Iguodala. LeBron was a man of his word and delivered a ring, I have no animosity towards him.

I loved Joe for the same reasons you did.... My beef with LeBron is he is a racist POS and openly states he hates white people... So fuck him.. He served his purpose here... He can go on with himself!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Neo said:

Joe Montana is one of my favorite quarterbacks because.....   He beat the stinking Bengals twice in the Super Bowl.  :) 

• Upvote 1

On 11/1/2023 at 6:38 PM, Dutch Oven said:

Bill O'Brien was an assistant coach of his, right?

He did ok for a while before losing his mind down in Houston 

So, no, none of them have done well