THE BROWNS BOARD

Jason, Aloy, Ytown, Shep

Vegasdogg

When Brady Quinn played against Denver last year he did no with much less practice than he did now and still looked great. So BQ being a rookie excuse seems illogical. And Anderson on his day could have given Brown offense a major boost with his arm. Let us not forget that it was with Derek Anderson as the QB did we manage to defeat NY Giants. Who knows if he could have had a repeat performance with him and BE being on the same page and opening up the running lanes for JL with the deep throws.

This is not a Quinn bashing post and Quinn does need time, but the conservative play calling is making me frustrated. giving Quinn the dink and dunk plays is going to make life more difficult for us. The sooner he starts making those throws the better it is. So what if Quinn fails ? shouldn't this time be about judging Quinn and see if he is a fast and good learner ?

If a new guy is the way to go, i dont want to wait for 2,3 seasons before we come to that conclusion. Mangini only has 3 years to show what he can do and if he cant exploit Quinn's talent or judge him then we are in for some trouble.

I'm not sure I agree with you there. Guys with only a handful of starts will have good days and bad days. It's not an excuse it's just a matter of fact. The point is that on September 18th, 2009, Derek Anderson is probably a better pro quarterback than Brady Quinn. The problem is, Derek Anderson has a bit of a low ceiling. He's just never really demonstrated that he can get better. He kind of is what he is. And that, by the way, is a pretty decent NFL quarterback. But probably not a starter... or if he is, he'll be the kind of career starter that always seems to be just holding a job waiting for the next heir apparent, but not someone you build a team around. Think of a modern day Steve DeBerg.

I'm not sure how giving Quinn short pass plays makes life more difficult. I know it's a pain in the ass to defend. But offensively I've always liked that passing-game-as-an-extension-of-the-running-game mentality. Swings, flairs, slants, screens, hitches. That can be very frustrating for a defense. More importantly, it can alter pass coverage in much the same way that a quality running game will. Safeties start creeping up, linebackers start shortening up their drops, and corners start closing up their cushions. And, suddenly all of that other stuff starts working. Rub routes and pick plays, deep crosses, sluggos. It's kind of the opposite approach to pushing the vertical receivers to create space under them. You bring the safeties down to throw over them. It's a strategy like any other, I suppose.

And certainly this is Quinn' judgment period. You take a base line of where you think he is. You set expectations for progress. Then, you evaluate. You look toward the end of the season and say, "OK, the guy's pushing 20 NFL starts." You better damn well be convinced he's made adequate progress to the point where there's no debate as to whether or not he's a starter in this league. If not, you start looking for another one January 1st. If Quinn struggles consistently throughout the season, he won't be back. His playing time (barring injury) in 2009 will kick in every escalator in his contract. And, he'll be due some substantial bonus money in March. If they're not ready to anoint him the leader of the franchise, he'll be gone.

There is no way this team goes into a second "developmental" year with Quinn. So, your worry about a 2 or 3 year process shouldn't be centered on him. He and Anderson will be on separate trains out of town. And the Sam Bradford/Colt McCoy era could well begin. More likely, if the Browns must go into a second transition year, it'll be with Brett Ratliff and maybe bringing in another veteran off the heap to push him. But, I think I'm getting ahead of myself here... of course, so is everybody else. It is only week 2.

-jj

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I went with the past two seasons because I'm not really that concerned with how he performed as an emergency starter in 06, nor do I beat Quinn's stats over the past two years over your heads either. Really the only start that matters to me regarding Quinn right now is his next one.

If you don't understand the difference between saying "over the past two seasons" and "over the last 18 games", which draws a line in the middle of a season then ... Christ I don't know why I even try with you people you're going to bang your quinnie drums and give each other gay high fives no matter what I do ... I just hope we win a game this week.

Zombo

Come on now. It wasnt' an emergency start. He was the back up at that point and when you start 3 games in a row, it's hardly emergency starting (that 12.3 came when he was on his 3rd consecutive start).

Oh jesus, now it has to get dramatic. Just because people challange the stats you use for DA or your opinion about DA doesn't mean they are beating a Quinn drum. By that ass backwards logic you're using, the same applies to you any time you say a peep about DA. Your just beating a DA drum and givng DA fags a reach around.

I know, you are really neutral on it. But just because someone says something bad about DA or good about Quinn doesn't mean they aren't as neutrual as you. I know mom told you that you were special, but so did every other kids mom tell them that they were special.

Jason I couldn't have said it better myself. But that's always obvious.

Although as I stated in another thread. If Quinn is not the answer, I could see Anderson avoiding that train out of town for one more year. He's taht "veteran off the heap" that can push the Sam Bradford/Colt McCoy they would have to draft next year.

Anderson will be way too expensive. He's going to count like $11 million against the cap next season. He'd have to usurp the starting job this year and put up Nintendo numbers to get that roster bonus in March.

-jj

Anderson will be way too expensive. He's going to count like $11 million against the cap next season. He'd have to usurp the starting job this year and put up Nintendo numbers to get that roster bonus in March.

-jj

You know, on the old Nintendo Techmo Bowl, DA would have been a really, really, really, good QB.

I think Masters and JBDADFFDJBAF are the same guy. It's just circular arguments and a reactionary defense of their positions over and over.

You gotta say something really smart or really dumb to keep me interested ... you guys are just repeating yourselves and putting me to sleep.

I'm taking a nap.

Zombo

--I hope I have that funny dream where Shep and Brady are singing to each other in bed ... "one healthy start .... just one healthy start ... "

I have yet to say something really smart or really dumb to keep anyone interested ... I just repeating myself and putting others to sleep.

I corrected that post for you

Granted I was thinking of a resctructured contract. I didn't say that in my original though . Because I don't see any other teams willing to pay him that 11 mil. SO this regime gets first shot at resigning him. They tell him. "look restructure, reduce your cap number for us. You'll start out the year next year as the starter. A one year contract. Play well and you can earn more in your next contract. either here or somewhere else."

I think you'd be more likely to see a Jeff Garcia, Sage Rosenfels, Kellen Clemens - type... but this is all far-off what if kinda stuff.

-jj

Maybe. I'm just saying that I don't think Anderson makes all that much on the open market anymore. So this team could sign him to a hefty one year contract. and still have it be less than that 11 mil cap number.

That's true. But he might garner just a little bit more on the open market than CLE would want to pay him. Or the opportunity elsewhere could be more apealing to DA than the scenario being described here. I some how doubt that after all that has happened DA is going to want to stick around CLE for a year and being in the position of "keeping the seat warm" for another young QB. He's kind of just done that. If I was him, I'd want the change of sceen.

That's true. But he might garner just a little bit more on the open market than CLE would want to pay him. Or the opportunity elsewhere could be more apealing to DA than the scenario being described here. I some how doubt that after all that has happened DA is going to want to stick around CLE for a year and being in the position of "keeping the seat warm" for another young QB. He's kind of just done that. If I was him, I'd want the change of sceen.

To me...our best bet will be to trade DA during this season when another QB goes down...it'll happen and that's when we can get optimal value for him.....he won't play second fiddle here again!

Archived