THE BROWNS BOARD

▪︎ Joe Flacco signs 1-year deal with Browns, has incentives for wins. ( What an idea ? )

mjp28

( What an idea ?  :huh:  )

Joe Flacco signs 1-year deal with Browns, has incentives for wins.   :mellow:

BEREA, Ohio -- The Cleveland Browns signed quarterback Joe Flacco to a one-year deal Thursday, ending his tenure on the practice squad.

●-> Flacco's deal includes $4.05 million in incentives based on winning, a source familiar with the deal told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

●--> Flacco is set to make $75,000 for each of the remaining four regular-season games he wins this season, per the source. If Cleveland makes the postseason, Flacco would also make $250,000 for a wild-card win, $500,000 for a divisional round win, $1 million for an AFC Championship Game win and $2 million for a Super Bowl win, the source said.

The Browns (8-5) currently are all alone as the No. 5 seed in the AFC playoff picture.

Flacco has started the past two games for the Browns. He became just the fifth quarterback in NFL history to throw five touchdown passes in his first two games with a new team, according to ESPN Stats & Information research.

▪︎-> Sunday, Browns coach Kevin Stefanski said Flacco would remain the team's starting quarterback for the rest of the season.

Flacco is the fourth quarterback to start for Cleveland this year, joining Deshaun Watson, PJ Walker and rookie Dorian Thompson-Robinson. The Browns signed Flacco in late November following the season-ending shoulder injury to Watson.

▪︎-->  Flacco's deal expires after this season, when he will be a free agent again. Flacco said Thursday he wants to continue playing after this season but is focused on Sunday's upcoming game against the Chicago Bears.

Flacco, 38, didn't have an offer to play this season until the Browns called him. Because of that, the former Super Bowl MVP with the Baltimore Ravens said this week it's "unbelievable" to be playing again.

◆  "I'm just trying to stay in the moment," he said, "and be as grateful as possible and keep getting better."

- Or -  * For the SB 58  MVP   and get the Key to the city of Cleveland and an old 2015 F150 pick up truck.

Edited by mjp28
  • Upvote 2

• mjp28 changed the title to ▪︎ Joe Flacco signs 1-year deal with Browns, has incentives for wins. ( What an idea ? )
  • mjp28 pinned this topic
8 hours ago, bbedward said:

Despite Flacco beating us for years, he really seems like an incredibly likable and humble guy. Unlike the other afc north QB who beat us for years. I hope he can experience his dream of winning while his kids are old enough to enjoy it…in a Browns uniform.

Just watched the replay of the win over the Jags and that alone was worth the price of admission. That contract should be retroactive and $75,000 per win for the remaining 4 is just plain peanuts IMO.

15 minutes ago, AP1 said:

This contract is only good through the remainder of the 2023 season.

Am I correct?

I'm a little surprised/disappointed they didn't try to incorporate the 2024 season given the injury tsunami that hit this year. 

Yea all contracts are for a league year.

I’m assuming it’s Flacco’s choice not the browns’ choice. The money is peanuts to him since he was once the highest paid QB in the NFL. He’s said he wants to keep playing as long as he can, and keeping his options open next year is probably the best choice for him. If he does lead the team on a playoff run and doesn’t regress I’d bet he doesn’t wanna wait around for Watson to get hurt next year - he’d be a hot commodity to actually play for any team that’s in contention and loses a QB (where there’s a bunch of this year - Steelers, Cincy, vikings, colts)

The Cleveland media said something to the affect of Flacco said he doesn’t even know how much he’s been paid by the browns so far - his brokerage account probably fluctuate more in a day than the browns have paid him 😅

42 minutes ago, AP1 said:

I'm a little surprised/disappointed they didn't try to incorporate the 2024 season given the injury tsunami that hit this year. 

It's a small sample size, but I don't think there's anyway you don't bring Flacco back. He says he wants to play next year, he's obviously having fun, you can pretty much assume Watson will get SOME kind of injury, and DTR just doesn't give the same juice. 

I have a feeling Flacco has a come back to earth game, probably Sunday, and a bit of Flacco Mania dies down. There's more film on what we're doing, we can't run the ball, and the Bears are unbelievably healthy. Like, it doesn't make SENSE how healthy they are, and I hardly recognize our team. I think we win if we get a defensive TD or special teams score, but I really think we're in trouble. Delpit gone is awful. 

If Flacco balls out again though...you might just get that extra year on the contract. 🤣

6 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

It's a small sample size, but I don't think there's anyway you don't bring Flacco back. He says he wants to play next year, he's obviously having fun, you can pretty much assume Watson will get SOME kind of injury, and DTR just doesn't give the same juice. 

I have a feeling Flacco has a come back to earth game, probably Sunday, and a bit of Flacco Mania dies down. There's more film on what we're doing, we can't run the ball, and the Bears are unbelievably healthy. Like, it doesn't make SENSE how healthy they are, and I hardly recognize our team. I think we win if we get a defensive TD or special teams score, but I really think we're in trouble. Delpit gone is awful. 

If Flacco balls out again though...you might just get that extra year on the contract. 🤣

They are healthier than us but they are missing their sack leader Yannick, so their pass rush is a little banged up at least.

For safety, I’m fairly optimistic in Duran Harmon giving us some decent veteran depth now that he’s elevated…he’s lost a step but he was a recent starter.

And Flacco…this game may be a good situation for him to throw over 300 again. Bears defense is much more run stifling than they are pass defending. Our receivers are healthy, at least.

edit: maybe not their sack leader, I think he’s their #2 missing 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bbedward said:

And Flacco…this game may be a good situation for him to throw over 300 again. Bears defense is much more run stifling than they are pass defending. Our receivers are healthy, at least.

Man I'd love that. Heck, even if we did lose, it's so fun to see some big plays! But man, we are tough at home. I'm gonna check weather out, perhaps we'll get lucky again with it. I also have this feeling that Goodwin is going to get deep for a TD. We know Joe wants to throw it. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, syd said:

c'mon Joe get that money

It just proves the point that  today's  quarterbacks are  grossly  under OVER paid !

The field of dreams, football style !

7 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Man I'd love that. Heck, even if we did lose, it's so fun to see some big plays! But man, we are tough at home. I'm gonna check weather out, perhaps we'll get lucky again with it. I also have this feeling that Goodwin is going to get deep for a TD. We know Joe wants to throw it. 

I'm not sure what the weather on the lakefront is supposed to be, but 50 miles south where I am its supposed to be in the mid 40s with an 80% chance of rain. 

17 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'm not sure what the weather on the lakefront is supposed to be, but 50 miles south where I am its supposed to be in the mid 40s with an 80% chance of rain. 

So, the scariest environment imaginable. That's all you had to say, scariest environment imaginable. 

2 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

So, the scariest environment imaginable. That's all you had to say, scariest environment imaginable. 

Canal Fulton is kind of a hick town, but I wouldn't refer to it as "the scariest environment ever". 😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

Canal Fulton is kind of a hick town, but I wouldn't refer to it as "the scariest environment ever". 😉

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!    👻

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8896153,-81.5978286,3a,75y,162.95h,92.91t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s4Iir_nFbRZaRMwoKOjpZ2A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

16 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Kind of surprised there isn't three 20 year old guys with mullets walking down the street. 🤣

Yep, that's our downtown. 

• Haha 1

I know the browns can't bail on Watson after all they've invested in him but man that looks like such a bad investment. 

Flacco is too old to be a long term solution but it's the first time in...decades maybe... that the browns have truly looked like a professional football team. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/16/2023 at 3:13 PM, TexasAg1969 said:

Tex, Growing up in Cleveland, about 45 miles north of Canal Fulton... I always thought, "wow, that's a weird name for a town".  

When I completed the Ohio to Erie Bike Trail a few years back, I found out why.... There really is a canal in Canal Fulton. it's been restored...they even offer canal boat rides in the summer. The bike path is right next to canal, After 100+ years, a lot of the canal has reverted back to it's natural state- and BTW downtown Akron sits directly on top of what used to be the canal. 

When you ride the path next to it, you can't help but be amazed at the amount of manual ditch digging labor was involved to create it before the age of steam shovels and bulldozers. A trench 20 feet wide, probably eight feet deep, and hundreds of miles long. 

https://www.ohioanderiecanalway.com/plan/listings/canal-fulton-canalway-center/

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Tex, Growing up in Cleveland, about 45 miles north of Canal Fulton... I always thought, "wow, that's a weird name for a town".  

When I completed the Ohio to Erie Bike Trail a few years back, I found out why.... There really is a canal in Canal Fulton. it's been restored...they even offer canal boat rides in the summer. The bike path is right next to canal, After 100+ years, a lot of the canal has reverted back to it's natural state- and BTW downtown Akron sits directly on top of what used to be the canal. 

When you ride the path next to it, you can't help but be amazed at the amount of manual ditch digging labor was involver to create it before the age of steam shovels and bulldozers. A trench 20 feet wide, probably eight feet deep, and hundreds of miles long. 

https://www.ohioanderiecanalway.com/plan/listings/canal-fulton-canalway-center/

Really can't ask to live anywhere better if you are a bicycling enthusiast. 

From Canal Fulton I've ridden north as far as the north end of Akron, and south down to Navarre. 

Most of it on the Ohio and Erie Towpath. 

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Really can't ask to live anywhere better if you are a bicycling enthusiast. 

From Canal Fulton I've ridden north as far as the north end of Akron, and south down to Navarre. 

Most of it on the Ohio and Erie Towpath. 

A few years ago, I made it a goal to complete the entire Ohio to Erie Trail.   Living in Dayton the biking capital of SW Ohio... Over a period of years I had ridden it East as far as  Big Darby near Columbus, as far south as Newtown near Cincinnati, and the Towpath from Harvard road to Massillon.  So all that was left was about a 150 miles. The stretch west of Columbus to Massillon, and 15 mile jogs north from Harvard Road in Cleveland to the lake, and South of Newtown through Cincinnati to the Ohio River. If I had been able to ride point to point I could have done it a lot quicker- had to break it up into out and back chunks.  BTW, parts of the trail signage sucked, and I wasted a lot of hours trying to figure out where the trail was, or having to double back because I missed a trail turnoff. 

Finally my big victory, putting the wheel of my Waterford in Lake Erie to say I finished... I found out a real interesting fact. I use SPD-L cleats, getting wet sand in them is a BAD idea. Riding back through the Edgewater parking lot it was like having your cleats glued to the pedals with super glue. Zero mph crash- and I kid you not I had to get my feet out of the shoes and rip them off the pedals. Fortunately I had enough water to clean up the cleats.  

• Upvote 1